Slightly Mad Studios is Working on Its Own Console

I just wanna know how many developers and publishers are on board in making games for this thing?

How many 1st party developers
How many 2nd party developers
How many 3rd party developers - EA? Square Enix? Capcom? Ubisoft?

?

If your going up against the big 3 you better have games or your console is doa simple.

I just wanna know how many developers and publishers are on board in making games for this thing?

How many 1st party developers
How many 2nd party developers
How many 3rd party developers - EA? Square Enix? Capcom? Ubisoft?

?

If your going up against the big 3 you better have games or your console is doa simple.

50 game developers according to Ian on the 4th of January.

Source:

That's great, any names? Because there is quite a bit of difference between Rockstar and Gameloft even though they are both developers.

I'm also impressed at how easily he will be able to make porting games considering we have no clue what infrastructure Microsoft and Sony will be using by the time this is supposedly coming out.

Source:

I remember back in 1993 sony had over 250 developers ready to make games for the original PlayStation an the 250 was just in japan alone.

My big 3 developers sms has to get onboard are

Square enix
EA
Rockstar

With the right moves this can take on the big three in a huge way . I also feel the time is right for a shake up .

Both Sony and xbox have become complacent .

I also feel that the time of having competing consoles should come to a end. The future is crossplatform for all games and if this madbox can get that going i find it will be a good thing .

Both Sony and xbox have become complacent .
How have they become complacent? By using outdated or weak hardware? You do realise the reason why consoles are popular is that they are reasonably affordable, and you cannot make an affordable console with the specs of a good gaming pc.
I also feel that the time of having competing consoles should come to a end. The future is crossplatform for all games and if this madbox can get that going i find it will be a good thing .
Whats the point of having multiple consoles if they just have the same games? Anyway, I don't see companies like Sony or Nintendo allowing their IPs on competing hardware any time soon. And how will the Madbox change anything?

That's great, any names? Because there is quite a bit of difference between Rockstar and Gameloft even though they are both developers.

I'm also impressed at how easily he will be able to make porting games considering we have no clue what infrastructure Microsoft and Sony will be using by the time this is supposedly coming out.

You can ask me but how the hell would I know? I am just a mere forum hamster like the rest of you here.

What I do know (through previous talks inside WMD) is that the Madness Engine has been able to cross-compile for various platforms with the push of a button since it was originally designed. So it can compile for the following platforms as far as I am aware of... Windows, Linux, PS4, PS3, PS2, PSP, Xone, X360, XBox, Switch?, Wii U, Wii, iOS and Android.
In the basis you just need to look at for which gaming platform Slightly Mad Studios has released games or has tried to release games to know which platforms the Madness Engine will support.

I remember back in 1993 sony had over 250 developers ready to make games for the original PlayStation an the 250 was just in japan alone.

My big 3 developers sms has to get onboard are

Square enix
EA
Rockstar

That's fine but I don't think it was 250 developers on day one before development, but even if that's the case you do know that the Playstation was originally to be a Super Nintendo CD-ROM type of console, right? So from that development cycle they already were in contact with many developers through Nintendo at the time.

On the other hand we now have a game development studio declaring out of the blue that they are to be making a game console in a fresh new year without any heads-up. So you still need to give developers some time to think and crunch the numbers as not everyone will blindly jump the gun on the first statement.
I'd say... wait about 3 months before asking Ian how many developers he has onboard.

As far as big developers go... I don't think EA is willing to take the jump since there has been some history of beef between Slightly Mad Studios and EA. Who knows what'll happen though, as EA is certainly a ruthless business that will seek profit no matter how. So if that company sees an opportunity than I wouldn't be surprised if they took it.

If this turns out to be just a task on the Apprentice it will make much more sense.

"You have 24hrs to design a gaming console to compete with Sony /Microsoft / Nintendo"

As far as big developers go... I don't think EA is willing to take the jump since there has been some history of beef between Slightly Mad Studios and EA. Who knows what'll happen though, as EA is certainly a ruthless business that will seek profit no matter how. So if that company sees an opportunity than I wouldn't be surprised if they took it.

For the curious ones: https://gamerant.com/project-cars-ea-kill-studio/

New design concept from SMS

mad-box-konzola-dostala-novy,--image-277-450.jpg
mad-box-konzola-dostala-novy,--image-5731-450.jpg
mad-box-konzola-dostala-novy,--image-9834-450.jpg
mad-box-konzola-dostala-novy,--image-2951-660.jpg

Or is it? :odd:

As cool as that concept looks, it appears needlessly expensive to make. I'd be surprised if they could "RGB all the things" and feature an active display while remaining at a competitive price point.

This one looks waaaay better than the previous one IMO. It still reminds me a bit too much of Alienware for my tastes, and those lights at the front would be too distracting to sit beneath a TV (I'm assuming you'd be able to turn them off) but it certainly fits the name!

Seeing how many great developers have been shut down by EA, I think the article isnt so far from the truth.
Given that EA tried to market Shift 2 as a Forza killer when anyone with a shred of sense can tell the two games are nothing like each other, save for both having cars on racetracks, I'm inclined to believe it as well. EA is a lot of things, but they wouldn't be that tone deaf about game marketing by accident.

Looks like nintendo plans on leaving the console wars so it is possible for room to be made for another company.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/07/nintendo-shuntaro-furukawa-interview-console-development/
However, there may come a point when the company decides to stop producing new consoles altogether. In a recent interview with Nikkei (as translated by Nintendo Everything), Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa said the company is open to moving away from console development, depending on where the tech industry as a whole moves.

Only if the Mad Box has triple monitor capabilities, I consider getting one.
It'll be single monitor support at launch, you'll get the 2nd screen support around 6 months later & you might get the 3rd after a year. If they still support it :)

Last edited:
Looks like nintendo plans on leaving the console wars so it is possible for room to be made for another company.
No, they don't plan to leave the console wars, they are just open to leaving if the market moves away from consoles. Why would they leave any time soon as the switch continues to sell incredibly well?

No, they don't plan to leave the console wars, they are just open to leaving if the market moves away from consoles. Why would they leave any time soon as the switch continues to sell incredibly well?

You're so wrong. They are running away with their tales between their legs because of the almighty mad box! :P

My guess would be because they also see streaming as the future and as article says mobile is huge now and they may want in on that .

It may turn out these next gen consoles could be the last of their kind. If they do not become more like a gaming pc they could get left behind

Plus the video game market doesn't work like Formula 1, if a console maker leaves that doesn't create an open seat someone else can just hop in and fill easily. Especially not these days when people have been jaded by high profile disasters like the OUYA. Saying that Nintendo leaving would make room for an unknown player is a bit silly.

My guess would be because they also see streaming as the future and as article says mobile is huge now and they may want in on that .

It may turn out these next gen consoles could be the last of their kind. If they do not become more like a gaming pc they could get left behind
How are you so sure that streaming will be the future? It's not like Playstation Now and Onlive were anything but failures, so why would Nintendo abandon the console market because of an unproven belief. Or a console made by a company known for making only racing games which is designed for a completely different market than the Switch.

Yes, mobile gaming is huge now. That's probably why Nintendo has been making Mobile games for a couple years now. And they've been making nice money off games like Pokemon GO, Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes.

The comment you made about them needing to be more like Gaming PCs to be successful is also odd to me. It's not like consoles are becoming less popular, The PS4 is likely to outsell the PS3, if it hasn't done already. The Switch is also the fastest selling console in history.

What about aspect of Gaming PCs do you think they need to draw from? Is it having the most powerful hardware around? Then consoles would be far less popular as consoles would be prohibitively expensive.

Or do you think the consoles would need to be upgradable. History has shown that console add-ons haven't sold too well as most consumers don't really care too much about having the most cutting edge tech and getting a new console every 6-odd years is fine for them.

Like many people have said, to have a successful console in the market, it doesn't have to have high-end tech or be as powerful as possible, it needs to have games, and that is where the Mad Box is likely to fall behind contemporaries from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as Developers see those consoles as a safer bet as it is more likely for a game to succeed on a proven console.

Back