Slightly Mad Studios is Working on Its Own Console

What if, despite everything going against it, SMS actually end up pulling it off...

the front of the console reminds me of the Mazda Furai kinda.
Furai_002Hi-1.jpg

Never thought the name was that compelling or distinguishing. ‘Box’ has already been defined as anything Microsoft. And please don’t consider ‘Station’ either. Maybe incorporate it’s alternative nature into the name.

The only thing troubling about this news is Bell’s own admission the future is questionable. Well, that was fast. Five months elapsed from ‘go go go’ to ‘now we’re not so sure’.

The future of consoles is "questionable"?

What about the PS5, the Xbox? Is the future of these consoles also "questionable"?!?
PS5 and Xbox is fine bacause they're obviously backed with large corporates.

As for questionable bit it's some marketing stuff invented by those Google Stadia Marketing Team.

I think this is also related to the announced hardware capabilities.

What is the target price point on a box that will be able to run VR at 120fps?

That is some serious hardware that will not be cheap to build, could it be investors saw the estimated consumer sale price and thought no way is the average Joe going to spend $800 on a console?

What about the PS5, the Xbox? Is the future of these consoles also "questionable"?!?
They said the same thing about the ps4 and xb1 and yet the ps4 is sitting at 96.8 and the switch is doing just fine.

I think folks don't realize that without exclusive games, this thing just won't happen. What developer will decide to develop for the Mad Box when they know they will have PS4/5 and XBOX to compete with? It's also no secret that Sony and MS don't make a lot of money off the consoles themselves. In fact, Sony knew and indeed did lose money on the original PS4 hardware knowing it was a long term investment. Money the would make up through games and PS Plus subscriptions. This took years to do. Can SMS handle that kind of investment? All the while going up against the likes of Sony/MS? Seriously?

I still dont understand the fuss around Google Stadia. Sony and microsoft have had a streaming service for years. Unlike movies en music, games are a whole other kind of consumption. I really hope Stadia will fail. Personally I dont want gaming to go into that direction, but perhaps I am just being old?

VBR
What if, despite everything going against it, SMS actually end up pulling it off...

Thats a big if. I believe google stadia gives him an out, while saving face for the company.

They said the same thing about the ps4 and xb1 and yet the ps4 is sitting at 96.8 and the switch is doing just fine.

You do realize that those consoles come from the established big three, right? An apocalypse could happen and the big three would be more or less fine if they hedged their bets right.

It's the small guys that come in with big aspirations whose futures are often 'questionable', because the console market has consistently proven for years that they do not want, nor really need, another console trying to vie for a slice of the pie.

Personally I dont want gaming to go into that direction, but perhaps I am just being old?
I'm fairly young and I dont like the input lag and graphical latency the streaming service will inevitably had.

Yes for streaming movies because it is not process intensive and occupies less data per second, thus less strain for the network. Streaming games? Better be effective for the next 10 years or so.

I'm fairly young and I dont like the input lag and graphical latency the streaming service will inevitably had.

Yes for streaming movies because it is not process intensive and occupies less data per second, thus less strain for the network. Streaming games? Better be effective for the next 10 years or so.

Plus, it's nice to at least have ownership of your games, either physically, or digitally. Something that Stadia doesn't provide, so when the service inevitably goes out of business, either through Google's continued one track mind and subsequent losing of interest, or any other factors...what happens to those games? Lost to the ether?

Plus, it's nice to at least have ownership of your games, either physically, or digitally. Something that Stadia doesn't provide, so when the service inevitably goes out of business, either through Google's continued one track mind and subsequent losing of interest, or any other factors...what happens to those games? Lost to the ether?

Not to mention games that have licences (movies, sports, carbrands, music etc.) that might expire. They maybe lost forever in this model.

edit:
Also I suspect that this platform, unlike Netflix, is primarily to gather more data on gamers and ultimately sell more ads.

Personally I mainly play single player games and lag is less important. That said movies and music are consumed very differently since it is passive. On games you spend hours upon hours.

Last edited:
Not that online lag. Input lag everywhere, even single player sessions since you stream that game entirely.

Dont worry about that. Input lag is extremely overrated. The human brain adapts amazingly quick to any input lag as long it stays consistent.

Dont worry about that. Input lag is extremely overrated. The human brain adapts amazingly quick to any input lag as long it stays consistent.
It's something I'd rather not adapt to and skip out completely if it's going to be too obtrusive. Pressing the punch button and seeing it happen noticeably after is very off-putting, even if we're capable of adapting to it.

It's something I'd rather not adapt to and skip out completely if it's going to be too obtrusive. Pressing the punch button and seeing it happen noticeably after is very off-putting, even if we're capable of adapting to it.

Within limits ofcourse and to my understanding google stadia inout lag is around 166ms

Within limits ofcourse and to my understanding google stadia inout lag is around 166ms
That goes without saying, but I agree. Just pointing out that because we can adjust to something doesn't mean it should be tolerated, to a certain extent.

Wow this is big news.. Might be a bit too soon like some have mentioned but, I wouldn't bet against Google.

Also, maybe Ian Bell's Mad Box has something to do with Stadia? 💡

www.gtplanet.net/meet-mad-box-the-new-console-from-slightly-mad-studios/

www.gtplanet.net/heres-the-finalized-mad-box-console-design-but-whats-project-cars-revolution/

:( I had a funny feeling this Google Stadia was going to have something to do with the MadBox.. Just didn't think it would be negative though. :boggled:

That goes without saying, but I agree. Just pointing out that because we can adjust to something doesn't mean it should be tolerated, to a certain extent.

Agreed, but I was putting out other arguments then input lag. Within the near future inputlag should be solved quite quickly. Then input lag will not be an argument in the discussion of streaming vs physical/digital media.

Speak for yourself, but even if that were true it's a poor defense for game streaming, where the input latency is subject to an unusual degree of inconsistency due to network instability.

I can live with a degree of input latency, but that doesn't mean it becomes imperceptible sooner or later, and it doesn't mean I'm going to welcome it into my gaming. Laggy character movement or game-specific input latency are already enough of an obstacle with my low-latency monitor. I'm fine without any more than necessary, thanks.

...Within the near future inputlag should be solved quite quickly. Then input lag will not be an argument in the discussion of streaming vs physical/digital media.
If it's possible, it will never pan out everywhere and for everyone without deep investments into internet infrastructure and Stadia server centers dotting the globe.

I seriously doubt it will ever be "solved", as opposed to being minimized to a point that it will be less apparent to most players and in some kinds of games. Neither of which really applies to a community like GTP or the racing sims we play...

Back