SLS and 458 italia really close!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niclang93
  • 46 comments
  • 2,710 views
m8h3r
Wow, a 1:56.926 in the SLS, that's scarily close. :scared:

Haha, It's probably just cause I like these two cars and drove the Monza track a bazillion times. :lol:

Wooooohooo! The SLS takes it!! It is ridiculously close! The cars seem so different in every way and logic and common sense makes me think that the SLS would be slower being so much heavier than the 458!
 
Well the Fezza has lightness while the merc has torque. Even match I say
 
I never pit these 2 cars against each other, I am curious now.
I did the last seasonal at Monza with Ferrari 458 Italia, just bought another one, no oil change, straight to the track at Monza with chicane, grip real, sports soft tires, no ABS, no other aids, 10/7 BB, 1:54.452.

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG bought brand new, no oil change, same set up, SS tires, no ABS, 10/7 BB, got a time of 1:55.038.

The 458 is lighter, wilder and agile in corners, it can reach 173 mph at main straight and 165 mph at the back straight. 458 has much less weight at 1485 kg, whereas SLS has 1620 kg, the weight alone favors the 458.

The SLS AMG on the other hand, struggling at acceleration and straight line speed, it barely reach 170 mph at main straight and getting only 161 mph. This is due the rear wing providing down force, which also makes the car more stable in cornering and less prone to oversteer. If only the SLS is lighter.

For added fun, I bought another brand new Mclaren Mp4-12C, no oil change, SS tires, no ABS or other aids, 10/7 BB, this one surprisingly not much faster than 458 Italia, clocking in at 1:54.092.. More laps would get into 1:53.xxx easily.

The car has a lot more power and even less weight than both SLS and 458, reaching 180 mph at main straight and 168 mph at the back straight. Looks like sheer power managed to compensate for less stable handling in corners compared to other two.
 
Last edited:
Could someone else please post a lap time of the 458? Would really like to know what you get? (no upgrades with sports tyres -soft)

Item highlighted in red would be an upgrade, no?
 
I've found that the SLS AMG has unusually good handling in GT5 compared to all of its real life reviews and comparisons. I think this is probably a case of PD "fudging" the handling stats of sponser cars. The SLS is on the front cover after all.

EDIT: The MP4-12C on the other hand, has much worse handling in the game that in real life. This time probably not due to PD's meddling, but probably more the fact that the McLaren hadn't been released at the time the game came out, so PD probably honestly did not really know how it would handle. Why they decided to just go ahead and make it terrible is beyond me though.
 
From the Nurburgring thread..
Both cars totally stock, no aids, off-line

14. 07:08.243 - Ferrari 458 Italia '09 (Timppaq)
28. 07:14.198 - Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG '10 (GTP_Manuelos)

Close, but the Ferrari 458 Italia is faster..
Both drivers are really good around Nurburgring..
 
Goshin2568
I've found that the SLS AMG has unusually good handling in GT5 compared to all of its real life reviews and comparisons. I think this is probably a case of PD "fudging" the handling stats of sponser cars. The SLS is on the front cover after all.

EDIT: The MP4-12C on the other hand, has much worse handling in the game that in real life. This time probably not due to PD's meddling, but probably more the fact that the McLaren hadn't been released at the time the game came out, so PD probably honestly did not really know how it would handle. Why they decided to just go ahead and make it terrible is beyond me though.

Or maybe you could put the traction control back on because that's what makes the car handle so well IRL.
 
I did two laps with the Ferrari 458 and the mclaren mp4-12c

Ferrari did 1:18.427

Mclaren did 1:19.417

Ferrari 458 ITALIA

157 mph at the straight

Mclaren mp4-12c

161 in the straight

The Ferrari feels amazing to drive hard.the car got a little bit of understeer,but the only thing you get is controllable oversteer.the oversteer was a issue but I love it.

The mclaren understeers like a ff car and oversteers like a ruf when you get back on the power.the steering is not as sharp or responsive as the Ferrari and the steering feel is not as good too.

So the result is:the Ferrari is a car that would let the driver do the work and the mclaren you got to drive it

So it was close but better confidents for the driver=faster times
 
Last edited:
BenBurroughs
Item highlighted in red would be an upgrade, no?

Hmmmm, I seem to have made a mistake. When you buy a new car like the SLS don't they have sports soft tyres as default?
 
Hmmmm, I seem to have made a mistake. When you buy a new car like the SLS don't they have sports soft tyres as default?

No upgrades as in no power upgrade ? Changing tires is fine I think, if I were to fit comfort tire, would it be downgrade ? I guess not. As long as the car in question has no tuning or new parts installed, it should be fine. I did some laps by the way, check my previous post.
 
I did two laps with the Ferrari 458 and the mclaren mp4-12c

Ferrari did 1:18.427

Mclaren did 1:19.417

Ferrari 458 ITALIA

157 mph at the straight

Mclaren mp4-12c

161 in the straight

The Ferrari feels amazing to drive hard.the car got a little bit of understeer,but the only thing you get is controllable oversteer.the oversteer was a issue but I love it.

The mclaren understeers like a ff car and oversteers like a ruf when you get back on the power.the steering is not as sharp or responsive as the Ferrari and the steering feel is not as good too.

So the result is:the Ferrari is a car that would let the driver do the work and the mclaren you got to drive it

So it was close but better confidents for the driver=faster times

Wow, what track was that? That's F1 car speeds round Monza.
 
Ridox2JZGTE
No upgrades as in no power upgrade ? Changing tires is fine I think, if I were to fit comfort tire, would it be downgrade ? I guess not. As long as the car in question has no tuning or new parts installed, it should be fine. I did some laps by the way, check my previous post.

But different tyres would most prob make a difference in the time. And you got some pretty quick times in too! 8-)
 
But different tyres would most prob make a difference in the time. And you got some pretty quick times in too! 8-)

The last seasonal at Monza, 550pp with 458 Italia and sports hard tires ( default tires when bought ) I had 1:56.6xx.

With a stock car, newly bought, the time differences between SLS, 458 and MP4-12c are evident even with sports soft tires. I can try again with comfort tires and SH tires, but I doubt the time differences would be substantially changed. MP4-12C would still be fastest, then 458 and SLS last.
 
Only putting the horsepowers of both cars in comparison the SLS overpowers the 458 italia, but considering the overall performances as a sporty-intended vehicle the 458 outweighs the former in a majority of aspects by contrast.
 
As some wanted to match up the cars with their stock default tires, I did another run for all 3 cars, 2 laps each just for rough idea of how all of them goes with SH tires.

Ferrari 458 Italia, no oil change, at Monza with chicane, grip real, sports hard tires, no ABS, no other aids, 10/7 BB, 1:58.689.

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG,no oil change, same set up, SH tires, no ABS, 10/7 BB, got a time of 1:58.762.

Mclaren Mp4-12C, no oil change, SH tires, no ABS or other aids, 10/7 BB, clocking in at 1:58.141.

Pretty close for all three, looks like the SLS AMG have an advantage in better rear downforce and overall grip. The other 2 more powerful cars loses time due to rear losing traction at some corner exits. Sports hard tires definitely have a minor role here in helping the SLS closing the gap, but I am sure with better driver, 458 Italia and MP4-12C could extend the gap even more.
 
Last edited:
Drove the sls around the top gear test track and it was faster then the mclaren but slower then the Ferrari.compare to the Ferrari,the sls feel like a much stiffer car and it handles like a corvette then a Aston Martin.but to the mclaren,it feels like a much more obedient car
 
Back