SNAIL Division 3 - May 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun racing last night, even though I sucked! I practiced the combos during the two week stretch. Unfortunately, practice didn’t result in any positive outcomes in any combo. I basically blew each race and finished towards the back half of the grid, if not dead last.
Still trying learn and figure out how you guys get to be so good and fast...a couple times @DesertPenguin passed me like I was standing still!
Also, apologies to those that I screwed up at Monza. I hate that track with a passion.

Thanks, all. I'll probably have to get on a track and just practice from a standstill for a few hours. Maybe if I could get a good start I would see that damn podium instead of being smack dab in the middle every race (which I really don't mind when I'm in a field with this many solid drivers from top to bottom)

My problem is forgeting the top speed in a gear and will bog it down and miss the shift.
I used to take a post-it note and write each gear with the corresponding top speed for each car and stick it to my TV so I could see it during every race.

Couple questions:
1. I need to work on my grid starts. Anyone have any advice? I realize we're competitors, but I'd like to avoid the fiasco I caused at Yamigawa yesterday.

With each car, I try to practice starts either on the grid or a straight by coming to a stop and holding the e-brake (circle button) to simulate the game's start sequence. Then full throttle for a second or so before releasing the e-brake. Pay attention to how the car behaves, does it launch straight or get squirrelly? If straight, I'll let the engine rev up and hit the limiter 3 times before shifting into next gear, but some cars will will have a false rev peak as the tires gain traction.

For squirrelly cars try starting in a higher gear (usually 2nd), this will help minimize wheel spin at start but may also be really slow to gain speed. Other cars require more throttle strategy such as partial throttle until the car is moving and then rolling into the throttle. The squirrelly cars take time to figure out how to get them going but once you do, it's sort of a little win that you did it.

2nd may be more stable but it is way too slow compared to someone in 1st using some foot control. I try to find what amount of pedal pressure has no wheelspin and try to keep it there until I feel more traction then I go full throttle, usually having to shift up to 2nd right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back