JLBowler

Premium
United States
California
JLBowler
SNAIL Oval Racing
work in progress​

When: Selected Saturday nights at 10:00 PM ET

What: Racing on ovals, tri-ovals, "D" shaped tracks, and whatever other oval-like shape we can get out of the course maker.

The goal of this series is to get together, run some cars on some ovals, and have some fun. The SNAIL OLR will apply for this series, however, this is for fun and it's ovals so a little rubbing is going to be tolerated. It's still not acceptable to ram into other drivers or intentionally spin them out. Basically, if you leave room for another car at any time, you should expect someone to come along and fill the space you left open.

There will be no points and no prizes for winning anything.

Tracks will be chosen from those that I have created or downloaded from others. If you know of some tracks that would be good to use here, get me a link and I'll take a look at it. We may also throw in the occasional trip to the in game ovals.

Cars will be selected using two methods.
1. Everyone will use the same car and we will run spec races (no tuning allowed)
2. Everyone will be given specs to meet and you can run whatever you want within those specs (tuning allowed)

If you're interested post in this thread.
If you have any questions or suggestions, post in this thread.
Please note that this post is a work in progress and it will be updated and changed based on what is going on in the thread and the development process of the series.

Been waiting for this post since the course maker went live. Cannot wait to get down to rubbing some fenders on an oval! Sign me up.

Those of you that have expressed interest, would you like to start with a spec race or a tuned race with HP, KG, drivetrain, car type restrictions?

Spec to get a feel for everything and how it's going to play out on track. And I don't know if my tuners know how to do oval racing so I could be in major trouble!

The other think I would like for you all to do is to go and grab some of my shared tracks and let me know what you think. I'm open to critique and can make changes to any of them that might need it.

I have added, but not tested, a Talladega and Pocono replica track. I also sent a friend request to ONESPACE so I can get to your tracks easily.

I'm thinking about doing a testing night tomorrow night at the scheduled time. Just something casual to run some tracks and see what we have to work with. I will post up some recommended cars to have ready tomorrow afternoon.

I'm talking about Saturday for those that might read this in the morning. I'm on the west coast and it's only 11 PM here on Friday.

Am interested and will see how it goes.

I forgot about it being Halloween. I may be able to get some testing in but it won't be at 10 ET. It would be later, after the trick or treaters get done assaulting my doorbell.

I forgot about it being Halloween. I may be able to get some testing in but it won't be at 10 ET. It would be later, after the trick or treaters get done assaulting my doorbell.
I saved the tracks. Just let give me an idea of what cars you would like to use. I think I can assume that their is not going to be a lot, if any, race cars:)

Let's open up the car, track, and format discussion.

First of all. I have 26 ovals at this point. Thanks to @ONESPACE , he had quite a few good ones.

The format right now is looking like one track for the night with different cars. I'm thinking three races that are just long enough to make tires a factor but not require a pit stop.

I'm thinking four classes of cars (actually 8).

1. 4 banger - This would be production 4 cylinder cars
2. Hobby stock - This would be production cars, usually a little older (think early 90s and older) but more car than the 4 bangers.
3. Late model - Newer cars with higher performance than the hobby stock
4. Fully prepped race cars - pretty obvious what these are.

Each class would have a spec option and a tuning allowed option. The spec option would be one car and tuning prohibited. The tuning option would be posted spec and cars would be open within each class.

We could run any mix of the 8 classes for the three races on a given night. We would start with spec cars so that everyone can get the hang of the series without having to worry about tuning and then work the tuned classes in later.

First race night will be November 14.

Please comment and offer suggestions here. I don't mind putting my ideas out there, but if anyone has something to add, I want to hear it.

I like where this is headed. Looking forward to seeing or testing a potential car list. As for the first races in the series, pretty high chance that I won't make it on the 14th. Headed out of town for my first ever Michigan football road game. It's only down to Indiana, but I'm unsure of my return time as I'm not driving.

@JLBowler
I "have" (not sure where it came from) a 1.29 mile Narrow Tri-Oval that you might consider. Might be challenging.

I will be on either later tonight or tomorrow during the day to do some testing of cars on tracks. We will attempt to run the first race this Saturday night at 10 PM ET. We will use a club lobby at this time as I want the first night to be about checking format and ironing out any bugs that may pop up.

I'll be running cars from the 4 banger, hobby stock, and late model class for this week. If anyone has any suggestions, get them out there. We will be running one of the smaller tracks this week because the 4 bangers are involved and I believe there is an issue with changing the track in the lobby. We can test that at the end of the night and see what happens.

I can tell you right now what happens. If you select a user-created track, that's the last track you're going to unless you close the room and open a new one. It won't let you open the track list.

I can tell you right now what happens. If you select a user-created track, that's the last track you're going to unless you close the room and open a new one. It won't let you open the track list.

Thanks for the info. That confirms the one track per night portion of the format.

Back