SNAIL Oval Racing

• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 192 comments
You don't need to be friends listed to get tracks. Just have to be logged in on the gran turismo community site and have a link to the track from whomever has it on share. I have several tracks from folks that aren't in my friends list.

Penguin had tried it that way and it wasn't working for him so I figured I would ask if anyone else was having the same issue. I cleared some room on my friends list so it's not a big deal for me.

I think that if you run the room from the club lobby, once you join the room you get the track, no?

I think that if you run the room from the club lobby, once you join the room you get the track, no?
Yea but what about practicing on my own? That's when I realized I want the tracks

Yea but what about practicing on my own? That's when I realized I want the tracks

You can just go to that person's public profile on the computer area of the GT community and get the track.
It's gran-turismo.com or something like that, don't have the link on me right now.

I'm going to have to bail on Ovals tonight, unfortunately. Have to wake up early tomorrow and it would start at 0100 for me.
Sorry and thank you @JLBowler for setting it up. Sure it's going to be a blast.

I had to run some errands for my mom today. She broke her arm between the elbow and shoulder and can't drive for a while. It took longer than I was expecting as I had already planned to go get some parts for the wife's Tahoe today. I got the errands run for my mom and got the seat belt connectors for the Tahoe. I even found a very nice passenger seat out of a '96 Mustang and grabbed it for my rig. No wear to speak of, the foam is in great shape and it's even clean. Not bad for coming out of a junkyard.

With all of this going on, I just didn't have time to test tires so for tonight, we are going to run 30 laps for each race with wear on normal and have some fun.

Tires will be comfort soft for the 4 banger and sport soft for the hobby stock and late model.

I just got home late and have other things to do tonight so I'm only gonna stick around for the first race to see how it goes.

Except for the lag that was great racing tonight. I've done other track creator races and same issues with lag, have not seen any lag In a long time in all other snail Nights Raceing, think this lag is something to do with track creator tracks.

I'm thinking if we get everyone to snag the tracks from me, it might help with the lag. Even with the lag, the racing was still really good. We just called a caution, bunched the field back up and went at it again.

You know it's been a good night when all you can hear at the end of the last race is a bunch of grown men laughing because they're having that much fun.

Awesome, incredible night on the track with a bunch of new and old friends! Thank you all! Every one of you drivers are a class act and I was very honered to be on the track with you! Looking forward to next week! Thanks again JB for putting this together!!!!!:bowdown:

Cheers, Alan:cheers:

Too much fun last night, it's not healthy to laugh that much. The yellow flags contributed to the fun factor. Reminded me of pack racing without the boost. I'll be back.

We will be racing this Saturday night, the 21st of November.

Once again, I'm open to suggestions for cars and tracks if anyone has them, post them here.

Let me know what you all think of allowing a driver to call for a caution if they are involved in an accident. I'm thinking something like a max of three per race with no cautions in the last five laps.

Give me your input. This thing belongs to everybody that runs in it.

I enjoyed the ramdon cautions we have very savy drivers that have a good feel for those kind of things . The thing about set cautions is that they will be played and schemed into a stragedy .Every race plays out different so it was nice how it all worked out before with the drivers calling out the yellow as the race progressed .
A few of us were together last night running daytona and Indy and of the two indy was a blast with the bmw almost wish that track over toyko .we had a lot of fun at indy I would vote for that but for the league tokyo was a better fit .

I like caution flags, I've been in other leagues with caution flags and they've worked fine, until last 5 laps then no more cautions. I like the created ovals a little more then Indy, Daytona and Motegi, but still like those too.
But like Bowler was saying, everybody should save the created tracks to help lessen the lag spikes during the race.
I'm a fan of qualifying for the first race and then reverse grid for the other races.

I was not proposing set times for cautions. I like the idea of, if there is an accident, the involved driver(s) can call for a caution until we get to the last five laps. I don't want to be running two laps and have a caution, two laps and have a caution, rinse repeat type thing going on either which is why I suggested limiting it to 3 cautions per race.

Reverse grid would have to be done manually for each race so let's step it up a level. We could randomly select how many places and invert part of the field from the previous race. For those not familiar with this practice, a lot of local short tracks and some larger race series will invert a randomly selected or pre-set portion of the grid. Ex: If the are inverting 6, the 6th place car would start on the pole, 5th would start 2nd and so on. It doesn't reverse the whole field, only a part of it. We would have different levels of inversion for each race if we wanted to.

For those not familiar with this practice, a lot of local short tracks and some larger race series will invert a randomly selected or pre-set portion of the grid. Ex: If the are inverting 6, the 6th place car would start on the pole, 5th would start 2nd and so on.

The ol' dice roll.
Qualify on pole and pray you roll a 1.
That's one way to spice things up for the crowd.
If the field is large, roll two dice or die or whatever you call it when you have more than one.

I don't recall ever doing cautions, every two laps, but then maybe so with a bad group of guys. Which was not the case with the guys I raced with Saturday night.
It was always a set number of caution flags and no cautions for a guy who drives off the track by himself. But always no cautions with 5 laps or less to go.

I have seen races with cautions that often even with a good group of guys in a different game. Bump drafting was a bit of a problem in that other game.

Multi car incidents would be the only reason for a caution to be called and none in the last five laps. I don't even think we need a set number, just a max number. If we can run accident free for the whole race (I'm pretty sure this group can do it in a lag free room) then we stay green.

The ol' dice roll.
Qualify on pole and pray you roll a 1.
That's one way to spice things up for the crowd.
If the field is large, roll two dice or die or whatever you call it when you have more than one.

The music is not the same without our bass player, please make a point to join us Saturday night Mr 44New!

We had a great run in the Charger at Motigi a few years back. The Mustang was a blast and I would love to run that one again. I'm going to jump online with the Dr tonight and download the rest of Bowlers tracks. I think we can find some more fun combo's!

Last edited:
Let's try the Hobby Stocks, Late Models, and Race Car classes this week. Three cars from each class on the list. Vote for what you want to run. Voting will close for cars when I'm ready to post tracks which will be tomorrow late morning pacific time.

Hobby Stocks:

1. Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
2. Nova SS '70
3. Firebird Trans Am '78

Late Models

4. Camaro SS '10
5. Challenger SRT8 '08
6. IS F '07

Race Car

7. WSR, 1983 Ayrton Senna
8. Camaro Z28 Race Car '69
9. Mario Andretti's 1948 Hudson

Camaro! Yes please.
Camaro again! A faster one!
Oh my oh my another Camaro! Race car vroom vroom.

Yes I love my Chevy's and have owned multiple 3rd gen Camaros.

Back