SNAIL Race of Champions

• Thread starter Rednose58
  • 519 comments
Canada
Cloud 9
Rednose58
ROC Logo.png

The SNAIL Race of Champions is designed to be an event that is competitive for all divisions that also has an element of fun to ensure a night to remember.

See the details in the posts below

Click this link to go the ROC Replay Folder

Last edited:
** RULES and REGULATIONS **

These rules and regulations will be adjusted as we learn more. Be patient while we work out the bugs

1. As always, SNAIL code of conduct on the track is expected. All the SNAIL rules and regulations for race craft, car and room settings apply.

2. There will be two stewards (one hosting and the other assisting) that will guide the proceedings and ensure proper code of conduct. (Here it would be nice to have someone with live streaming capabilities...)

3. Driver Selection is by invitation only and is determined as follows:

a. 14 Drivers will be invited to the race

b. The first 12 drivers are the divisional winners, runners-up and third placed for the Season

c. The 4th placed drivers in each division are then ranked by points and the two with the highest points complete the list of 14.

d. We invite 11 more reserve drivers. No 15 and 16 are the 4th placed in their division that didn't make it into the 13th and 14th position above. The next four (17-20) are the 5th placed drivers in their divisions ranked by highest season points. Drivers 21-24 are the 6th placed drivers in their divisions ranked by season points. The last one is the 7th placed driver with the highest season points.

e. *deleted*

f. If one or more of the first 14 drivers are unavailable for the race, then their positions are filled by one of the 11 next available reseverve drivers.

g. The drivers list will be updated and posted in the thread

h. Drivers (invitees and reserve list) will update/confirm their availability by Thursday 10:30 PM Eastern Time (24 hrs before the race). If a driver has not confirmed his/her availability then the first available reserve driver will take the place.​

4. Combo Selection is by the most popular combos for the Season

a. The combos are selected by a formula that includes the total appearances and the total votes the combo received in those appearances.

b. If there is a duplication of a car or a track, the next ranked combo will be selected. E.g. if the Zonda on Midfield is No 1 and the RUF on Midfield is no 3, then the RUF will be removed and the next ranked combo will be selected.​

5. The starting positions for the race will be reversed, based on the drivers’ performance in that combo during the season

a. Every driver will get a fast lap time assigned to him/her for that combo

b. The fast lap time will be the fastest lap time the driver achieved in that combo in the season.

c. If a driver did not compete in that combo or if he has a time that is more than two standard deviations off the Division average, then his/her time will be the fastest lap time of his division for that combo in the season.​

6. Race laps will be determined to ensure a race duration of max 20 minutes (tire management might be required….)

a. The "reference" lap time used to calculate the number of laps will be the slowest lap time as assigned in Section 5 above.​

7. The start of the race will be by “Delayed Start” for every driver.

a. For each driver there will be a calculation of his/her personal theoretical total race duration based on the assigned fast lap time in Section 5​

b. The difference between each theoretical race duration and the slowest driver’s race duration will determine the delay for each driver.

c. The drivers will do a manual line up based on the fast lap assignments – slowest to fastest drivers. (No hot lapping prior to starting the race allowed)

d. The pole driver will start the race on time zero. Each other driver will have their brakes or e-brakes engaged until their time delay is reached. Then it is “race on” for approximately 20 minutes

e. Each driver will have their time delays determined when the drivers list is published.​

8. The race will take place the second Friday after the last race of the Season.

9. The Stewards will monitor the start and the race and will address any issues. They will also do the score keeping and uploading of replays

10. Remember, the first objective is to have fun. Be respectful and race your heart out.

Last edited:
Stewards that volunteered to help

Thank you for signing up. We will need two of the 6 per ROC Race night. We'll work out a schedule of some sort. I know already that I will not be available for the March ROC and Major is not going to be available for the April ROC. So you will be put to work. Some of you stand a good chance to qualify too and then you can't steward...)

Last edited:
The drivers invitations will be posted shortly - we need to sort out the last few technicalities.

Here are some of the requirements for the two stewards:

1. The one that hosts has to have a good internet connection that is proven in Snail Sunday races or practice rooms.

2. Both the stewards have to have their mics activated.

3. Both stewards have to have live access to a computer. The line-ups for the three races will be different and they need to sort the drivers and communicate the delayed starts. (We will provide access to the driver sign-in sheet so that you can sign drivers in and sort them by their delayed starts)

4. The stewards will view the race and keep an eye on the drivers, especially when close combats are developing towards the end of the race.

5. I will update this post as we learn more from the questions, practice and racing.

Last edited:
With stewards involved I would hope that because this is a "FOR FUN" event that if something was seen to be quite flagrant that that driver would just be asked to leave immediately. I took part in a few of the old RoC races and a lot were ugly with faster division drivers running over the slower division drivers because they wanted to be first on the night and crowned some type of champion. This is the All-Star game, I time to showcase your talents which hopefully is making that sweet pass on the outside , no contact..(or something similar lol)
Awesome job to all this seasons champions, you've already won so go out, have a fun night, and do snail proud.👍👍

The "delayed start" will also help to spread the field at the start. Although I never did an RoC word on the street was that some aggressive driving contributed to the downfall of the event.

Like in Formula 1 stewards good impose a "drive through" penalty when drivers are exhibiting behavior unbecoming of a SNAIL. Failure to adhere to stewards should lead to black flag for the impeding driver.

It was certainly a contributer to the downfall and an event like this should be no tolerance for aggressive driving. I'm sure it's nerve racking enough being D6 in the champions race with the big dogs stacked behind you. I'm not trying to rain on this parade , I think the RoC is a great idea for a fun night of races and want it to succeed as a fun night for everyone.

January 2016 Race of Champions

Driver Seeding

upload_2016-2-2_16-45-42.png

Registration Form
Fill out the form linked above to register for the event. The registration deadline is this Thursday at 10:30 PM ET. We ask that all drivers listed here, including the reserve drivers, fill out the form indicating their availability (Yes or No) for the event.

Automatic Qualifiers:

@Alex ONeill, @Rob Brown, @Whitey093, @msgt-sd, @JLBowler, @Ricky_Blayz, @TBongX, @leadfootedbud, @lllTrick, @TomMang_68, @Engmatic1, @turnupdaheat, @basswerks1, @Ness

Reserve Drivers:
@WSK96, @socalnatv, @racingchamp30, @aerolite

It was certainly a contributer to the downfall and an event like this should be no tolerance for aggressive driving. I'm sure it's nerve racking enough being D6 in the champions race with the big dogs stacked behind you. I'm not trying to rain on this parade , I think the RoC is a great idea for a fun night of races and want it to succeed as a fun night for everyone.

When I first joined SNAIL with no online experience and a D8 driver, I won the season and my 5th race night ever was the ROC. On pole for first race as that was how we lined up then, D8 and up. I was so nervous knowing that all these fast guys were behind me and then I got run over so bad in the first couple of laps I almost didn't participate in an ROC event again. I did end up attending a couple more and by that time I was more used to the environment, but we need to remember that there will be guys involved like I was the first time.
So having someone to watch out and the staggered start is a great idea. Good to see it back!

Last edited:
Theoretically all the drivers will get to the finish line at the same time. So, the last lap might be a bit crowded.

The secret in this format is to drive clean and consistent while you don't have other drivers blowing down your neck. Get into the rythm and don't push the limit. Focus on your race and don't look back too much. They will get closer on the last lap, but then you just keep your good lines.

The combo information will be posted soon.

I wish I had known about this a few weeks ago, unfortunately I already made plans to head out to Arizona to see my parents this weekend. Sorry guys.

:embarrassed::embarrassed:I just confirmed. Will give it my best d6 try ! Thanks

Would need some instructions as I have never taken part in one of these, nonetheless I'm looking forward to the experience.

:embarrassed::embarrassed:I just confirmed. Will give it my best d6 try ! Thanks

Would need some instructions as I have never taken part in one of these, nonetheless I'm looking forward to the experience.

The last time the Race of Champions was held was January 2015. Considering it's been a year, just a handful of the qualifiers have any RoC experience. And it's a very different format too. More information will be coming.

At what time on Friday is the event, not sure if i'll be able to join. I work from 4-11 eastern time

I believe it is the same race time as sundays spec racing. 9:30 eastern til whenever. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

For now, read through sections 5 - 7 of the Rules and Regulations. On race night, @Rednose58 will go over the delayed start procedure in more detail before racing begins. We will do a 1 lap dry run before the first race to make sure everyone understands what to do.

At what time on Friday is the event, not sure if i'll be able to join. I work from 4-11 eastern time
The first race will start at approximately 9:30 PM ET this Friday. Everyone should show up a little early so we can iron out any connection issues and go over the start procedure.

Here you can see who's registered for the event so far:
upload_2016-2-3_12-47-1.png

Click here to see the most current list.
As of now, 2 of the reserve drivers, @WSK96 and @socalnatv, are in.

We will run a Steward Training Session on Thursday at around 9:30 PM Eastern Time in one of the club rooms. Club Room will be opened by @MajorBlixem (Suggest to call it something like ROC Training - All Welcome)

The stewards that signed up so far is:
Hosting: @Rednose58 ; @MajorBlixem @msgt-sd
At Large: @Zii1993 ; @Die_Birdy_Die ; @TomMang_68 (Tom will need access to ROC Sheet)

Any SNAIL can join so that we can can do some test starts and maybe even run a race or two with the Stewards in steward mode...

Stewards for Friday February 5 ROC Race will be Rednose58 and MajorBlixem. The other stewards will definitely be used in March and April.

Back