SNAIL Sunday Night Future Forward - Open Discussion

• Thread starter Rednose58
  • 108 comments
The PITS/Lobanaro lounge split was primarily based on damage settings....PCars full damage could leave you on the side of the road with a wheel off your car and no way to move...with nothing short of a "sorry bro" or something more derisive. The hardcore elite did not care...Primarily because they were the ones rarely suffering the damage...read into that what you will. The nightly races tended to take longer and longer as fuller lobbies and weak connections along with zero enforcement of start times made race nights run 1-2 hours longer than it should. Frustration ensued. So the split occurred. I have been pretty busy with life/work and haven't been to participate in the Lobanaro lounge since its inception but I intend to soon :) Some of them are reading this and wondering who the hell this is :)

Well I do remember you from quite awhile ago on Sunday nights.
It's not really on topic here, but I am slightly confused by how you have based your conclusions stated above, when as far as I am aware, we have not seen you once in anything related to PITS or the thread. Unless you joined under a completely different account? Regardless, most of the statement above is incorrect!

AND...a good tune in PCars can make a huge difference in laps times and (oftentimes more importantly) drivability.

Edit...one more thing...taking pictures in PCars is awful. GT is sooo much better in this regard.

Last edited:
(...)

There are quite a few of us now who have participated in the three different series (ours, Lessen's and Alex & Zii's) and have a good overview of what works well and what doesn't. It's been a great and fun learning experience and I hope our opinions and thoughts help the BOD's of SNAIL in their decision.

I haven't gone into the Lounge yet (doing mostly PC gaming these days) but took part in PITS and WRCC (right?) and both were highly enjoyable. I don't think PCars is unmanageable in terms of SNAIL Sundays. Things might have to change, yes, but the core principles can stay the same (the differing fuel levels in locked tunes can be eliminating by taking away fuel wear, which is never a factor in SNAIL Sunday anyway) and the quality of the racing as well.

The only challenge is reverse grids, but there were more than a few occasions of organising a grid on track due to a few issues and it would simply be a matter of doing that and instead of starting the race, simply starting the race from there. Not a huge issue, in my opinion.

You CAN run tuning prohibited in PCars. All cars have the same tune...yes they may start with varying levels of fuel in rare cases, but at least they all are tuned the same. You can turn down fuel use and tire wear...and with the shorter races of SNAIL these become non issues anyways.

Gentlemen agreements are BS.

I have driven almost every car in PCars with their base tune and they are all drivable. Some are more challenging than others but the same can be said for GT6. So no matter what combo is chosen some one is going to rejoice and others cry :)

As was stated, the PCars replays are basically unusable to police certain things.

Reverse grids have to be done manually...which can become time consuming.

The PITS/Lobanaro lounge split was primarily based on damage settings....PCars full damage could leave you on the side of the road at turn one (at the beginning of a 45min race) with a wheel off your car and no way to move...with nothing short of a "sorry bro". The hardcore elite did not care...primarily because they were the ones rarely suffering the damage...read into that what you will. The nightly races tended to take longer and longer as fuller lobbies and weak connections along with zero enforcement of start times made race nights run 1-2 hours longer than it should as lobbies were started and restarted waiting for certain people to return who never did. Frustration ensued. So the split occurred. I have been pretty busy with life/work and haven't been to participate in the Lobanaro lounge since its inception but I intend to soon :) Some of them are reading this and wondering who the hell this is :)

Anyways...PCars is great fun. It is possible to run tuning prohibited. But you can't run changing weather or have pit stop...but snail never ran that anyway.

Number of combos will never rival GT6...but GTS will not either. They are removing all the cool old cars of GT6 which I always liked.

There are points here I agree full heartedly with. There are also points here that come off like "shots" and are completely irrelevant to the topic.

Let us stay classy please. Everybody is here trying to be helpful.

Ok, my turn.

When I first joined Snail 3 years ago, as a first time online player/driver, I was thrilled that I could just jump into a car and race it.....no prep, no tune, no nothing, just turn on the old PS3 and away we go. The Spec settings were a good way to get into on-line racing. I would never try and tune a car, too scared to mess with things I knew nothing about. Since PCars has come out and not really having a true spec setting forced me to learn what tuning was all about. It's not really that hard, especially with all the online tuning and ffb setting pages.....you don't have to figure out a tune, because someone else has already figured it out for you. Easy peasy. Most of us also share tunes between us to make us all faster
That being said, I would jump right back to a Sunday Snail series set up on a new platform and a new game, just to be a part of the old gang again.

As for the imagined tension between Pits and Lobanaro, there is no tension. There was no split, I got tired of crashing myself out early in the first three races I entered trying to keep up with the really fast guys, three weeks in a row my race was over early. Steve and I were thinking the same thing one night while dikin around, (no sheep involved). A casual room with no carry over points, laughter is more the norm. We still race clean and try to beat each other as usual, but we have fun doing so. I know the brass at Pits don't consider themselves an elite league, but a wanker like me cannot compete without crashing myself out and that's why The Lobanaro Lounge was set up. We tried to keep the aliens out by being an invite only lounge so anyone can win, but we don't want to exclude anyone who wants to race, so a few fast guys are sneaking in and that's ok. We are experimenting with ways to slow them down. Also by being an invite only club, if you act and drive like a Dik, you are not invited back, hasn't happened yet.
There is lots of room for both of us as we are completely different setups and our goals are not the same. As for Snail, I seriously hope that a smooth transition to newer pastures takes place soon so as not to lose what has been built into the best online racing league ever. I wish you all luck and I look forward to racing with you Sunday's again.

Ok, my turn.

When I first joined Snail 3 years ago, as a first time online player/driver, I was thrilled that I could just jump into a car and race it.....no prep, no tune, no nothing, just turn on the old PS3 and away we go. The Spec settings were a good way to get into on-line racing. I would never try and tune a car, too scared to mess with things I knew nothing about. Since PCars has come out and not really having a true spec setting forced me to learn what tuning was all about. It's not really that hard, especially with all the online tuning and ffb setting pages.....you don't have to figure out a tune, because someone else has already figured it out for you. Easy peasy. Most of us also share tunes between us to make us all faster
That being said, I would jump right back to a Sunday Snail series set up on a new platform and a new game, just to be a part of the old gang again.

As for the imagined tension between Pits and Lobanaro, there is no tension. There was no split, I got tired of crashing myself out early in the first three races I entered trying to keep up with the really fast guys, three weeks in a row my race was over early. Steve and I were thinking the same thing one night while dikin around, (no sheep involved). A casual room with no carry over points, laughter is more the norm. We still race clean and try to beat each other as usual, but we have fun doing so. I know the brass at Pits don't consider themselves an elite league, but a wanker like me cannot compete without crashing myself out and that's why The Lobanaro Lounge was set up. We tried to keep the aliens out by being an invite only lounge so anyone can win, but we don't want to exclude anyone who wants to race, so a few fast guys are sneaking in and that's ok. We are experimenting with ways to slow them down. Also by being an invite only club, if you act and drive like a Dik, you are not invited back, hasn't happened yet.
There is lots of room for both of us as we are completely different setups and our goals are not the same. As for Snail, I seriously hope that a smooth transition to newer pastures takes place soon so as not to lose what has been built into the best online racing league ever. I wish you all luck and I look forward to racing with you Sunday's again.

Likely story.....

It was probably a lamb!!! haha

Ok, now - let's re-focus on the subject at hand please.....

GTSport release date is in the Fall of 2017 (That means somewhere between September 21 and December 21) but, in the text it says in the Third Quarter (which means somewhere between July 1 and September 30) - So, it is looks to me it is somewhere between July 1 and December 31 2017 or maybe early to mid 2018 .....

Project Cars 2 release date is September 22, 2017 (Which looks like "Fall 2017" to me .....)

I wonder if we should ride it out on GT6 and as the information about the other two games becomes clearer we can plan a transition to one of them.... or be bold and run both under the SNAIL brand. That would require a lot of volunteers and a pair of overseeing BOD's reporting to @zer05ive / @JLBowler and @CoachMK21

All I know there is a lot of talented people out there that can do it.

Let's get back to the discussion....

I say we try to figure out PCars2 when it comes out and work with that alongside GT6. We'll deal with GTS when we get more info.

GTSport release date is in the Fall of 2017 (That means somewhere between September 21 and December 21) but, in the text it says in the Third Quarter (which means somewhere between July 1 and September 30) - So, it is looks to me it is somewhere between July 1 and December 31 2017 or maybe early to mid 2018 .....

Project Cars 2 release date is September 22, 2017 (Which looks like "Fall 2017" to me .....)

I wonder if we should ride it out on GT6 and as the information about the other two games becomes clearer we can plan a transition to one of them.... or be bold and run both under the SNAIL brand. That would require a lot of volunteers and a pair of overseeing BOD's reporting to @zer05ive / @JLBowler and @CoachMK21

I know I'm getting PCars2 when it comes out. GTS I'll hold until (and if) it proves to be superior to PCars, Assetto and AMS.
So I'm obviously in favour of running PCars2 as the Sunday night title (and GTS simultaneously if needed).

From the interview with Kamikaze Yakistoryteller.....

GTP: The competition aspect of Gran Turismo Sport is exciting, but many long-time fans of the series are worried about the more traditional, classic parts of the game. Can you reassure them that will still be part of GT Sport?

KY: Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.

GTP: The competition aspect of Gran Turismo Sport is exciting, but many long-time fans of the series are worried about the more traditional, classic parts of the game. Can you reassure them that will still be part of GT Sport?

KY: Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.

If my interpretarion of this is accurate, this is your winner. Just gotta keep plugging away for a bit longer.

While currently I prefer the driving experience more on PCars and Assetto Corsa, I think the future of SNAIL lies with GTSport. The frustration of delays has made the series look to other titles, but I'm certain GTSport will have a huge following, and will produce the greatest number of competitors. The GT series has frustrated me (immensely), but they have the benefit of knowing how to build a very user friendly game. I just hope the driving experience is tolerable, even if its not as good as the other sim titles.

That sounds promising. How long will it take for us to get our hands on the game is the question now. If it truly is fall and 3rd quarter (I've seen both) then we may be looking at a late September release date.

I gotta say the car list for GTS is pretty weak. Realistic combos will suffer greatly compared to GT6. The "mathematical" combinations do not represent the actual realistic driving combos. Man it pisses me off they are dumping all the old cars. And the track list is extremely weak (per the list on GTP). And then you have to remove the rally courses from the possible sunday night lists.

Going from nearly limitless possibilities in GT6 to the comparably miniscule list in GTS is going to be very difficult.

PCars 2 is looking better and better in that regard.

I gotta say the car list for GTS is pretty weak. Realistic combos will suffer greatly compared to GT6. The "mathematical" combinations do not represent the actual realistic driving combos. Man it pisses me off they are dumping all the old cars. And the track list is extremely weak (per the list on GTP). And then you have to remove the rally courses from the possible sunday night lists.

Going from nearly limitless possibilities in GT6 to the comparably miniscule list in GTS is going to be very difficult.

PCars 2 is looking better and better in that regard.

It was reported that there are 177 cars in GTS and the same tracks, plus "more". I know we only have a limited number of confirmed cars and tracks from the Beta, previews, screenshots, etc.

PCars 2 has at least 56 locations (more than any other game) and 143 cars. This is pretty damn impressive...lots of vintage cars and no BS Vision cars.

GTS looks to have dumped most of the original tracks. GV, TM, DF etc. I really want to like GTS but PCars 2, at least right now, looks to be the definitive driving game right now. The weather options alone are ridiculous. And not just weather, seasonal realism with changing track temps, snow etc. Just amazing stuff from them with a release date right around the corner and many improvements in the online league area.

I always thought PCars would be a filler for me until GT8 comes out. But with GTS being a Prologue type release and the original PCars being more fun to actually drive than I expected (the limitations league wise were disappointing)...the PCars 2 improvements look to basically bury the thoughts of ever returning to GT for me.

The GT series used to be the measuring stick of racing wowness...GT1, 2, 3 etc was always a welcome addition...until now. They gotten lazy and waited far too long and done far too little this time.

For me, it's not even the number of cars and/or tracks. I've always had fun on Sundays not because of the multitude of options, but because the racing is good and the camaraderie is great and the league runs smoothly due to the hard work and commitment of the people in charge.

The driving experience on PCars and Assetto is simply too good to pass up. If GTS sports a similar feel and realism, then yeah, sure. But if it's still the same rather poor implementation of the experience of driving a racecar, then I think I'll pass, even if having to give up racing on Sundays for good really sucks.

For me, it's not even the number of cars and/or tracks. I've always had fun on Sundays not because of the multitude of options, but because the racing is good and the camaraderie is great and the league runs smoothly due to the hard work and commitment of the people in charge.

The driving experience on PCars and Assetto is simply too good to pass up. If GTS sports a similar feel and realism, then yeah, sure. But if it's still the same rather poor implementation of the experience of driving a racecar, then I think I'll pass, even if having to give up racing on Sundays for good really sucks.
This is what I meant by a "tolerable" driving experience. Right now, GT6 is not even tolerable to me. I could put up with a little simcade feeling to enjoy the comradary of an awesome league, but it's going to have to be a lot better than what GT6 has to offer.

The key here to me is in the details of the game's in question. We know what we have in GT6 as far as tools are concerned i.e.(replay functions that are/have been used for reviewing I.R.'s,which is an absolute necessity for SNAIL!) This function is going to be present in GTS per Kaz. Thus familiarity with the new software will make this transition easy and the already present following of the GT label will make SNAIL strong again,and I believe a larger community than has ever been present in SNAIL. There are other things to consider,the online championship's that are already sanctioned by F.I.A.,this is very promising in my humble opinion,and could mean some very promising aspects to our already great format. We are already operating at a level far above any other racing community out there per our IRL and format. We have divisions,and rules,promotion and relegation,etc. Operating as a real racing community online,this coupled with the new features leaves me with the feeling that SNAIL is going to be ahead of the game upon release. I for one am very excited for our community and its future looks very bright with this new platform on the horizon. The other titles out there have their pro's and con's,but as far as we have seen,still are a good ways off from delivering something that would allow us to perform in the manner in which we have been.

I haven't race with S.N.A.I.L for some time now and what made me leave was all the connection issue we had on Sunday nights. Also at the time I had a PS4 and I was tried of swapping systems every Sunday night. With that said there is not a week that goes by that I do not miss racing with you guys, but since then I've sold my PS4 and moved to PC and other sims like PCars and iRacing in hopes of finding something close to S.N.A.I.L but no luck. The reason I loved this league so much is because of the great clean door to door racing and non-tuning aspect of things. Yes I know tuning is apart of racing but I liked to see how I improved knowing that I and everyone else were all on a even playing field. That is what drove me to continuously make it to the Sunday night races. I still have so much to learn about my own limitations and I know that a lot of good drivers will not be able to shine with tuning in the mix including myself..
I think we should have a smaller series that allows tuning like we did with the S.N.A.I.L endurance series for the people that want to dabble with set up which even I will eventually do because every good driver needs to know set up.

Now to the subject at hand. I don't consider Asetto Corsa at all.. I've played it and just don't care for it and I'm not saying it's not a good game it's just my cup of tea, I think PCars 2 or GTspot would be the best bet. Also I think you guys should wait out the 2 months, there is no reason to move to Project Cars1 for 2 months and then make a jump to PCars 2 you would lose even more people because you will move to a game that some people don't have just to jump to a 2nd game after 2 months and some will feel like them have to buy multiple games ontop of a new system. If there are some guys here that have a PS4 right now that want to try PCars then try PITS.

Both PCars 2 and GTsport will have there ups and downs so this is a hard one. I love the GT series but the last one (GT6) seemed behind but PCars is so technically advanced with everything they are bringing to the table. I would like to here some more options on which of those two games would everybody would like to move to and why. If that's not hijacking of course...

Last edited:
Was browsing through, and wanted to bring this thread to the front and back on the radar, now that release dates are confirmed for both GTS and pcars2.
My thought is let Pcars2 release and dive in to try out the features. GTS drop a month later. Once both are out, scour the feature of each, and decide which best fits the Snail format and set a transition date. There are MANY, including myself, who moved on to PS4 for pcars and AC, and couldn't go back to the old platform and gt6, but are awaiting GTS and Pcars2 with the intention of returning to Snail. I believe that if a game and a start day for transition were to be established that stays true to the Snail format, the number will jump exponentially. Also, players that have been met, recruited, and already proven as clean drivers for pcars and AC could very well be prospective "new" Snails which raises the numbers even further. Let's get this discussion going again.

On just car and track numbers alone I believe PCars2 will have more combinations than GTSport. If both have the capability of doing what we need from a logistical standpoint, that might be the tiebreaker.

On just car and track numbers alone I believe PCars2 will have more combinations than GTSport. If both have the capability of doing what we need from a logistical standpoint, that might be the tiebreaker.

Car and track numbers are the least of our worries. Both games provide enough combinations to not require any duplicate combinations for many years.

Back