Snooker (and other cue sports)

I've played pool as long as I can remember, and am a pretty good shot. I didn't play for a long time, so I lost some skill but I still beat most people handily.

I'm a snooker nut, starting playing at 11, took a bit of a hiatus in my late teens, but started playing competitively again last September. Quite a competitive league (district), tend to find some very good players. Indeed one of the better ones made a 147 a couple of months back and someone else made 113 or so on the final day of the season. Which is pretty good considering it's a one off frame.

My best is 83, I'm a long way from there, had a few 60s this year, but I'm slowly getting back to my best. My old doubles partner from my playing days as a kid has had a quite a few centuries, we used to be evenly matched.

It's great fun, but exceptionally difficult, which is why I keep playing it. It's all the little kisses the pros do off of other balls (reds, generally) that's the really clever stuff.

In Janurary I found a place that has a snooker table and since I have played a handful of games and my best break is 15 :lol:.

Its seriously hard!, I also play a lot of pool these days now and have gotten to a level decent enough to be a reserve on one of the Official 8 ball teams plus play in another team event comp.

Some of the old fellas at the pub have been playing snooker for over 50years and Ive only been playing for just over 1 month.. and pool seriously for 6. I guess I shouldnt get too disheartened.

What did you do in order to improve from say breaks of 5 - 12 and get into the 20's?

Okay, well, to start with, potting a ball. The easiest part of the game, but fairly critical!

Most common is the ghost ball technique, as in, you place an imaginary ball in line with the object ball and the pocket. Then you "just" need to hit the ghost ball dead centre.

The biggest difference between snooker and pool is positioning, the difficult bit.

http://www.terrygriffithssnooker.com/snooker-tips.aspx

Ultimately, you'll get nowhere without practice and getting to know the angles of the table.

http://www.snooker.org/msc/how/how01.shtml

The yellow to black practice method is a good starter, only 6 balls on the table, fairly straight forward positional shots.. It's a steep learning curve, the table size can be intimidating at first, but you'll get used to that over time.

I'm a member here:
www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/

Lots of useful advice. Work on clearing the colours first, then move on to doing line-ups (reds in a straight line with the blue/pink/black spot. Maybe start with a few reds in a line around the blue, then add some more and get used to moving the white ball up and down the table and off the cushions. Build yourself up and then apply it in matches against the old boys.

Remember, the cushions are your friend!

The biggest difference between snooker and pool is positioning, the difficult bit.

Playing mostly 9 ball and 10 ball, positioning is what i practice the most.
Sure, the table is only 9 feet and long pots are easier with bigger pockets but running a 9ball or 10ball table is all about staying on the line and playing position for position.
Remember in 9 and 10 ball you only have one ball to play position for and therefore positioning of the cue ball is crucial.

Has anyone been keeping up with the World Snooker Championship this year?

Tonights match between Judd Trump and Shaun Murphy was incredible to watch. It came down to the deciding frame, from best out of 25, for a place in the Semi-Finals. There was so much tactical play which made the frame around about fifty minutes. Judd finally won 13-12 and he's now playing Ronnie O'Sullivan in the Semi Final.

I want Judd to win, I've been a big fan of him ever since he made his Crucible Debut in 2011 and reached the final. 👍

That's weird, I was just about to search for this thread to bump it back up!

But yeah I've been following it, always do.
The Judd vs Ronnie semi will be great, I was hoping they wouldn't meet till the final but they were on the same side of the draw. I do like Trump, he's good for the sport, young, enthusiastic, a bit too arrogant though. In a pre match interview he said he shouldn't have anything to worry about with his match against Murhpy. But I think who ever wins this semi should go on to win the whole thing, Walden and Hawkins are good but I don't think either of them can deny Trump or O'Sullivan.

I was annoyed Selby got knocked out, he's been my favourite player for a number of years. Also dissapointed Michael White lost too, and Poomjaeng. That guy was too awesome.

And while I'm here O'Sullivan has hinted pretty heavily that this will be his last tournament. He has also said, rather disrespectfully, that he only came back for the money. Not sure what the other players will have to say about that, I wouldn't be too happy, he's only human though I suppose.
Here's the story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/22376834

And Ronnie O'Sullivan confirms my assertion that he is the greatest snooker player in the world, possibly ever.

Five time world champion.

Brilliant - no-one comes close to him at the moment, and given that world snooker is as competitive as ever (if not more so than ever), Ronnie O'Sullivan really is something special - it would be a real shame if he were to retire...

I don't see him retiring just yet. After what he said earlier on in the tournament, then what he said last night after he'd won. I think he'll stay. You could hear it in his voice that he wasn't completely sure it was over.

Now that he's World Champion again, I think this will reignite his interest.

But he might very well just do exhibitions until returning to the Crucible.

I would like to see him at other ranking events, to see him really sweep the board, but then again, what left has he to prove? He's won it all and is universally known as the best. O'Sullivan has a fair few personal demons and he could well think that time's time.

But as I said, I don't want him to retire. He's sheer class to watch, and injects some fun and colour into snooker that Williams and Ebdon can only dream of.

The joke is that he was ranked 28th in the world before the final - he's now apparently the 25th best player in the world :odd: :lol: ... but rest assured that Wikipedia shall cast light on an otherwise confusing situation...

Wikipedia
After the Shanghai Masters he dropped out of the top sixteen for the first time since entering it in the 1994/1995 season as he was ranked world number 17

images

Who knows what Ronnie will do, he won't even know himself. He loves the game more than he lets on in interviews, you can see as such at certain times.

Best player in the game to have existed. No weakness in his game, can entertain and is just so natural at it, the way he switches to a leftie...

Just got news that Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante are coming to play the Bergen open 9-ball.
I'm hoping to draw one of them, preferrably not in the first round though...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/287303145559/

Edit: It looks like Reyes and Bustamente has drawn some attention and prestige to this tournament as Raj Hundal and Niels Feijen are now 99% certain entrants.

It's starting to look more like a pro tour field than the regular annual club-tournament with 3 former world champions!

I hope i get to meet one of them.

Last edited:
In Janurary I found a place that has a snooker table and since I have played a handful of games and my best break is 15 :lol:.

What did you do in order to improve from say breaks of 5 - 12 and get into the 20's?

Practice. I started Snooker this spring and I usually start my session potting the blue from its spot in the middle pocket. Stance and correct sighting and the cue action are the most important part early in the game and I improved massively in a relatively short time. You don't need to worry about the potting but can concentrate on the above stated and also improve cue ball control (stun, run through, screw back).

The other one is potting the black from its spot, along with a few reds if one wishes.

I noticed quite often that pool players lack technique and are sometimes hesitant to go back to the basics because they are quite good at pool. But when they hit a wall the only way to improve is going back to the very basics.

I don't really play pool because the table is far too crowded for my likes and I simply love good safety battles. Not that I'm that good, but trying to achieve a good Snooker (or getting out of one) is most satisfying.

My highest break so far is 16 btw (red black red pink red) but I can see improvements every time I practice and that's about 5 hours a week.

Ghost ball aiming doesn't work for me. Usually I pretend potting the object ball directly, aiming with the tip of my cue, and after 4-5 seconds my brain just seems to remember the spot I have to hit with the cue ball. Works best for me for what it's worth.

I'd also advise getting a Snooker cue with a 9.5 mm tip. O'Min, MasterCue and Peradon all have decent 3/4 cues for around 100€ and they should serve you well for many many years to come.

This years World Snooker Championship has been on for the last week, anyone watching it?, O'Sullivan currently losing 9-6 to Joe Perry in the second round...

This years World Snooker Championship has been on for the last week, anyone watching it?, O'Sullivan currently losing 9-6 to Joe Perry in the second round...

Been watching abit here and there, I usually watch more when it's QF onwards...

So earlier this morning it was the final session of the second round match between Perry and O'Sullivan, now Ronnie was 5-3, 9-7 and 11-9 behind in the match and was not playing well at all but everyone was expecting him to make a brilliant comeback to leave everyone breathless....and that's just what he did! from 11-9 down he won four frames in a row including two centuries in the last two to win 11-13 to leave everyone drooling!...brilliant stuff!

Ken-Do 5-10 down. Not good.

Ricky Walden playing well though, this is good.

Ronnie O' making things difficult for himself but what a comeback.

Bring on the quarters.

Selby is through to the quarters as well, beat Carter 13-9 yesterday...

Quarter final scores

O'Sullivan 6-2 Murphy
Selby 4-3 McManus
Robertson 2-6 Trump
Hawkins 6-2 Dale

Last edited:
Great scenes at the Chrisible Crucible theatre tonight as Neil Robertson scored his 100th century break this season... he celebrated as if he had won the World Championship itself :lol:

The scenes of jubilation reminded me of when I cleared all six colours in a row at the Chrisible in 1986 (that was my name for my garage when I had the snooker table set up in there)... brings a tear to my eye so it does. I've said too much.

11-11 Trump v Robertson, going to be a grandstand finish I think...

Back