Snooker (and other cue sports)

You're going to want a slate-bed as a minimum. Wooden ones don't even come close. I'd say a refurbished ex-pub one would be a good starting point. This place does them starting from £750.
A refurbished used table does sound like a good idea. 💡
I agree about the slate bed being necessary, that was one of the only things that I confidently assumed would be important. 👍

The site you linked only seem to have English pool tables, 6-7 foot with slightly curved jaws around the pockets. Like this.
British-pool-table-pocket.jpeg

I'm (in the first stages of) looking into an 8 or 9 foot American table. With pointy corners at the ends of the cushions/rails forming the jaws of the pockets. Like this.
24578-9-ball-rack-9-ball-on-spot.png

I don't know how much the construction method or materials used for the frame and legs could affect the way the table plays, particularly over time.

The same with the cushions/rails and how they might change over time depending on materials and construction.

I don't know how much the construction method or materials used for the frame and legs could affect the way the table plays, particularly over time.

The same with the cushions/rails and how they might change over time depending on materials and construction.

I'd say that with the abuse a pub table is bound to get over their lifetime, they are going to be built pretty damn solidly.

Looking at that website i posted the link to, it looks like they can do custom modifications to tables they refurbish. I don't think it would take much to alter the profile of the cushion edges.

I'd say that with the abuse a pub table is bound to get over their lifetime, they are going to be built pretty damn solidly.

Looking at that website i posted the link to, it looks like they can do custom modifications to tables they refurbish. I don't think it would take much to alter the profile of the cushion edges.
The size difference up from an English to an American table would be an uncrossable barrier to the modification route.

I'll certainly bear in mind refurbished-used as a great idea. Professional fitting on delivery might be necessary too.

The size difference up from an English to an American table would be an uncrossable barrier to the modification route.

I'll certainly bear in mind refurbished-used as a great idea. Professional fitting on delivery might be necessary too.

Google should bring up all the info you need but a ring round the Franchised Snooker/ pool halls in your area, could bring up a source or a good US style 9 ball table supplier.

Yes, don't try and fit it yourself, the slates can be rather heavy. Each slate on one of the tables at my snooker club is about 350KG (5 in total). There are also some intricacies with how they bolt together, though I've no experience with pool tables myself. If you're based in the South of England, I know an excellent table fitter, drop me a message. Said fitter might know someone if you're based elsewhere.

Don't cheap out on table fitting, there's a lot of donkeys out there.

Google should bring up all the info you need but a ring round the Franchised Snooker/ pool halls in your area, could bring up a source or a good US style 9 ball table supplier.
I'm a member of a good snooker club and asking in there is on the agenda but that won't be for a while due to covid. That's not a problem though, the potential puchase itself wouldn't be till after the world changes back a bit.

Yes, don't try and fit it yourself, the slates can be rather heavy. Each slate on one of the tables at my snooker club is about 350KG (5 in total). There are also some intricacies with how they bolt together, though I've no experience with pool tables myself. If you're based in the South of England, I know an excellent table fitter, drop me a message. Said fitter might know someone if you're based elsewhere.

Don't cheap out on table fitting, there's a lot of donkeys out there.
It's for the north of England but thanks for that. It's very much in the idea and research stage at the moment but we'll see how it turns out.

------

I'm interested to learn what to look out for as the price drops. What's not worth buying, such as anything without slate as stated above? How the run of the table or longevity can be affected if you've scrimped on the price in any specific areas?

If it was my own home table I'd go for full quality across the board but I can't put a table where I live at the moment.
The shopping around I'll be doing for this will probably involve exploring some cheapness along the way. If that means the product isn't good enough, eg if multiple rail kick shots are an absolute lottery, then it won't be happening.

The best American tables made in the last 20 years are from Brunswick, Diamond and Olhausen. All top notch tables.

For the past 20 years Diamond has dominated the tournament arena, but Brunswick and Olhausen still make high quality products. Can’t go wrong with any these.

Last edited:
A real 'Clash of the Titans' match.

Both on impeccable form and have both been playing perfect snooker.

I expect a lot of frames being wrapped up in 1 visit and centuries galore.

If I'm not mistaken the score has been level after every 2nd frame of the match?

I think I might have just heard that confirmed in the commentary but was concentrating on typing this post at the time.

Man, these 2 are heads n shoulders above anyone else at the moment. :cheers:

What a decider. :crazy::dopey::eek::lol:

Trumps in.......

Why do I want Neil to win?

Trumps back in......

Arrrgh, the agonys' prolonged.

Last edited:
Top notch, Matchplay snooker.

Best final (technically) I've seen in 40odd years.

So intense.

Congratulations Robbo. :cheers:

Last edited:
You're welcome, it's not proper proper but wont be far off.
I noticed the slate was 19mm. My preliminary looking around suggests that 1" (25mm) is recommended but I haven't established exactly what difference it makes.
At 7 feet in length, it's the smallest American style table I would consider. I think 8 feet would work in the location that this would be for.
The room won't be available for a few months now so that half price deal might be over when/if any purchase happens.

Thanks again for keeping an eye out.

If anyone knows of anything to be aware of regarding cushion/rail quality, that's an area I still don't know much about.

There's currently a run going of 5 centuries in consecutive frames in the Masters quarter final between John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan. That equals a record set in 2009.

Last edited:
Higgins is in unbelievable form right now. In 8 frames against Selby and Wilson only 4 balls have been potted by his opponents. In this competition hasn't lost a frame yet (it's being shown on itv4)

Enjoying the snooker, but I'm not huge fan of Alexandra Palace as a venue... they really need to do something about the noise from the doors leading into the main hall, as there's barely a frame goes by without some serious noise from the venue. And as for the crowd, although they are doing well to wait until between shots, the place sounds like a clinic for respiratory illnesses. Still, even that is preferable to the frankly insufferable Rob Walker...

I'm glad that the Chinese match-fixing cadre were kicked into touch before this tournament - it'll be a long way back for them I fancy, and 'World' snooker may well find that the world has got a bit smaller.

Last edited:
The 2023 World Snooker Championship started yesterday...

Neil Robertson has just won his 1st Round match, with two breaks of 146 in 3 frames... incredible!! :eek:

Play at tonight's session has been halted by Just Stop Oil protestors who have wrecked one table at the Crucible and attempted to wreck the second table.

🤬 🤬 s

Last edited:
Back