Snooker (and other cue sports)

Is that a local league? I'm guessing that from your 88 high break. I used to make the occasional 24 but never played more than casually. The guys I played with were capable of centuries.

I like a game of billiards from time to time too. I used to be ok at 9-ball so I tend to fancy myself on the cannons.

Yup, play in the area league. Fairly small league, but a decent standard. There's a few century makers here, but the Brighton league is super strong, with a few pros and a few more very good amateurs playing there.

Not played billiards much, very different to snooker, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Scottish Open snooker semi-final between John Higgins and Judd Trump which is currently ongoing is definitely worth watching.
The table was re-clothed overnight and the standard of play is high.

The Scottish Open snooker semi-final between John Higgins and Judd Trump which is currently ongoing is definitely worth watching.
The table was re-clothed overnight and the standard of play is high.
Higgins is looking really strong lately. I know Fu has been getting better all year but think he'll have his hands full tomorrow against Higgins

Been a good tournament though.

I played 8-ball in GTA San Andreas. They programmed the game well, so it is very fun (can be played with a friend too). Much healthier and safer as well - no need to stand in a smoking zone or be surrounded by strangers of various profiles.

:lol:

I played 8-ball in GTA San Andreas. They programmed the game well, so it is very fun (can be played with a friend too). Much healthier and safer as well - no need to stand in a smoking zone or be surrounded by strangers of various profiles.

:lol:
I hear there's a high crime rate in San Andreas though.

Only a 78 break in the 5th frame? They're slipping.

Higgins is superb at slowing a game down to his pace and controlling the table.

Good fight back from Fu, should be in for a good evening
I've been out since frame 6 finished.

I tried not to include spoilers in my posts but as it seems that not many people are following this thread anymore, any updates would be appreciated. 👍

I've been out since frame 6 finished.

I tried not to include spoilers in my posts but as it seems that not many people are following this thread anymore, any updates would be appreciated. 👍
Ah, didn't realise sorry, thought any match discussion was being done here. Not much to report, but;

Fu won 9-4 in the end. Faultless stuff from him really. The game wasn't as good as expected as Marco just delivered while at the table. He missed a few vital balls, particularly final red to wrap up the frame which added a few moments of unpredictability but unfortunately Higgins wasn't able to capitalise on it. He tried playing for snookers but Marco's escaping was really good. I can't remember what frame it was sorry (11 or 12) but that was the only frame that provided much action. Some great defensive play with the colours was the highlight.

You didn't really miss much as both guys weren't anywhere near as good as this morning, but glad Fu won, he's been deserving of a high ranking title for awhile now.

Ah, didn't realise sorry, thought any match discussion was being done here. Not much to report, but;

Fu won 9-4 in the end. Faultless stuff from him really. The game wasn't as good as expected as Marco just delivered while at the table. He missed a few vital balls, particularly final red to wrap up the frame which added a few moments of unpredictability but unfortunately Higgins wasn't able to capitalise on it. He tried playing for snookers but Marco's escaping was really good. I can't remember what frame it was sorry (11 or 12) but that was the only frame that provided much action. Some great defensive play with the colours was the highlight.

You didn't really miss much as both guys weren't anywhere near as good as this morning, but glad Fu won, he's been deserving of a high ranking title for awhile now.
I don't think you were doing anything wrong by including results or latest scores. I just chose not to out of personal preference. 👍

Thanks for the update anyway, it saves me from having to find the result in the papers.

What's next? I'm guessing The Masters?

I don't think you were doing anything wrong by including results or latest scores. I just chose not to out of personal preference. 👍

Thanks for the update anyway, it saves me from having to find the result in the papers.

What's next? I'm guessing The Masters?
Yep, end of January I think 👍

Alfie Burden: Snooker player banned for betting on matches
BBC
Snooker player Alfie Burden has been given a six-month ban - suspended for a year - for placing bets totalling £25,000 on matches including his own.

The 40-year-old was found to have made 86 accumulator-style bets between 2006 and 2016, on which he lost £2,995.

Burden was also fined £5,000, with his ban to be activated if any more breaches occur before 1 January 2018.

http://www.wpbsa.com/wpbsa-statement-alfie-burden/
WPBSA
Mr Burden’s betting on snooker has been largely unsuccessful. He has bet a total of £25,003.03 on snooker since 2006 and has to date has lost a total of £2,995.27.

At an early stage Mr Burden fully admitted betting on snooker in breach of the WPBSA Rules.

There is no suggestion whatsoever that Mr Burden was doing anything to influence match outcomes or engaged in any corrupt activity, he was solely betting on snooker.

Jason Ferguson the Chairman of the WPBSA said: “It is a key part of any sports integrity strategy that players cannot bet on their sport. Alfie Burden put his career at risk by so doing and it is only through his full admissions and his cooperation with the Disciplinary Committee that he has avoided a career ending suspension”.

The Final of the 2017 World Snooker Championship starts tomorrow at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England.

Two time, and current, world champion and current world number 1, Mark Selby from Leicester, England will play four time world champion and current world number 3, John Higgins from Wishaw, Scotland.

Selby's semi-final (17-15) against Ding Junhui was a classic with both players playing incredibly well.

Higgins versus Barry Hawkins in the other semi (17-8) was full of errors with neither player excelling. Higgins was playing great snooker earlier in the tournament and may need to rediscover that form for the final. His century break in the first and only frame of the evening session was an indicator that he hasn't lost it.

The final of the 17 day tournament will be a best of 35 frames played over a maximum of 4 sessions commencing at 1400 and 1900 on Sunday 30th April and Monday 1st May.

It's been a great tournament so far.

The Final of the 2017 World Snooker Championship starts tomorrow at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England.

Two time, and current, world champion and current world number 1, Mark Selby from Leicester, England will play four time world champion and current world number 3, John Higgins from Wishaw, Scotland.

Selby's semi-final (17-15) against Ding Junhui was a classic with both players playing incredibly well.

Higgins versus Barry Hawkins in the other semi (17-8) was full of errors with neither player excelling. Higgins was playing great snooker earlier in the tournament and may need to rediscover that form for the final. His century break in the first and only frame of the evening session was an indicator that he hasn't lost it.

The final of the 17 day tournament will be a best of 35 frames played over a maximum of 4 sessions commencing at 1400 and 1900 on Sunday 30th April and Monday 1st May.

It's been a great tournament so far.
Selby/Ding was awsome, although i thought Selby was quite disrespectful at the end. Higgins should do well as i'm sure he'll raise his game, but honestly the way Mark is playing can't see him being beat. Wouldn't mind which of them wins it.

But the story of the tournament has been Alan McManus' ability to do every job under the sun (if you've been watching on Eurosport you'll get it) :lol:

I've been watching BBC. All we get is Steve Davis driving about.
Really good start from Higgins. I'd prefer him to win because I'm not keen on Selby anyway but I don't like whoever beats Ding.
Edit: I can't remember why I quoted that :lol:

Great final, and another great advert for the sport - two great professionals playing each other with the greatest of respect. Brilliant to see John Higgins come back and making it a close finish, but Selby's amazing performance earlier in the day was too much of a mountain to climb. Congrats to Mark Selby on a 3rd World Championship in 4 years - he's going to take some beating in the next few years!

I thought the way Selby came back from that black ball foul frame (it didn't touch the black) in the next frame with the 131 was exceptional and just shows why he's a three-time world champion. In 10 years we'll be putting him in the same group as Hendry, Higgins and O'Sullivan.

FYI, in 1947 the final was played to 145 frames, over two weeks.

I can't think why the current format was more popular...

There's so much to like about this. The name "8 ball pool in real life" is probably my favourite but the comments are also worth mentioning. Oh and the swerve is brilliant but those other two shots are flukes.

Watching McGill v Day in the 1st Round of the World Championships... Day was 6-3 then 8-5 up, but somehow managed to lose 10-8 - the final frame (which I saw most of while trying to work) was a comedy of errors, with both players struggling to pull off even easy shots - Day even fluked two pots and yet still managed to lose the frame and hence the match... I don't fancy McGill to go much further, however - he looked really unsteady at times and I fear that a more solid opponent would rip him apart.

I went to watch the World Championships for the first time yesterday. Watched Liang Wenbo vs. Joe Swail and Joe Perry vs. Stuart Bingham. Got pretty good seats by the eisle opposite the division wall, enabling me to see both games at the same time. I was also just 4 rows from the front and was visible on TV!!! - Never really fancied it before, even though i've lived in the city where they host it for the past 13 years. It's worth while going even if you are not a massive snooker fan, just to say you've been.

Is it really 10 years since i went and watched the snooker?!? - feels like 4 or 5...

I do keep meaning to go again but as usual with things you only have a casual interest in, i only remember it's on when i notice it's on TV again.

One of these days i'll around to it. Perhaps.

Last night's match between Judd Trump and Chris Wakelin turned out to be something of a nail-biter, with Wakelin coming back from 8-4 down to take it to a final frame decider. The final frame was something of a comedy of errors, and further evidence of the massive pressure of the Crucible Theatre... Trump missed no less than three easy pots, went in-off once and yet still managed to win... Wakelin was exceptionally unlucky - going in-off twice and somehow managing to accidentally pot the black when attempting to double the green... the whole frame can be seen on Youtube:

Sensational final at the Crucible tonight - quite an extraordinary to-an-fro between the two ex-champions, who both played amazingly well throughout the game - never seen a match quite like it!

Sensational final at the Crucible tonight - quite an extraordinary to-an-fro between the two ex-champions, who both played amazingly well throughout the game - never seen a match quite like it!
A great final played between two players who I remember watching when I was still at school.

Sensational final, Well deserved for Mark Williams, who didn't even qualify for the Worlds last year, he said tonight that he watched it in a Caravan with a Beer, he seriously considered retirement.

Back