Snowy Straight

  • Thread starter Thread starter terminator363
  • 59 comments
  • 6,032 views
I think that Porsche is AWD.

Nope, plain jane Carrera. The AWD 996s are the 4S (has the classic red reflector between the taillights) & the Turbo & the Carrera 4.

You can also tell by its slimmer hips & its exhaust & of course, the badge...
 
Nope, plain jane Carrera. The AWD 996s are the 4S (has the classic red reflector between the taillights) & the Turbo & the Carrera 4.

You can also tell by its slimmer hips & its exhaust & of course, the badge...

That all sounds great but it has carrera 4 written in the description.
Although the lack of a 4 alongside the carrera badge at the start would suggest you were right cant trust anyone on youtube haha :sly:
 
Snow on the 'ring....now THAT is the definition of driving hell...or maybe if you race those conditions...at night :sly:

With a strong cross wind. Wearing sunglasses. With a co-driver slowly poking you in the ribs with a candy-cane.
 
I think that Porsche is AWD.

I doubt it. AWD Porsches tend to use the Turbo bodies, to accommodate the 4wd system. That one only looked as wide as a regular Carrera 2.

Also, notice how much snow is caked around the rear wheelarches. The driving wheels kick this up. If that was 4wd, you would see more snow caked up behind the front wheels, like say, a rally car. Not necessarily as much as the rears, but certainly more than what is there.

The description does say its a C4, but I'm more inclined to trust what I can see. Not trying to be an arse or anything, so sorry if I'm coming across that way.
 
Last edited:
Nope, plain jane Carrera. The AWD 996s are the 4S (has the classic red reflector between the taillights) & the Turbo & the Carrera 4.

You can also tell by its slimmer hips & its exhaust & of course, the badge...

Yes that's 2WD, but stuff the car. I want the Nurburgring in the snow!
 
I doubt it. AWD Porsches tend to use the Turbo bodies, to accommodate the 4wd system. That one only looked as wide as a regular Carrera 2.

Also, notice how much snow is caked around the rear wheelarches. The driving wheels kick this up. If that was 4wd, you would see more snow caked up behind the front wheels, like say, a rally car. Not necessarily as much as the rears, but certainly more than what is there.

The description does say its a C4, but I'm more inclined to trust what I can see. Not trying to be an arse or anything, so sorry if I'm coming across that way.

On top of that, the guy at the beginning says: "... Porsche 911 Carrera; 320 PS und Heckantrieb ..."

"Heck" meaning "rear" in this case, and "Antrieb" "drivetrain". So, yeah, rear-wheel drive. :)


I love that RUF video; I remember downloading that when the internet was so bad it took minutes to download emails...
 
Nothing like driving in snow with only rear wheel drive; memories of Montreal, Quebec! Now I am living on Vancouver Island much less snow; but plenty of driving in the wet!
 
That would be soo funny but so exciting at the same time, if it rains hard and the tracks flooded usually they bring out the red flags, but no, now they bring out the schwimmwagens! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Awesome images in my head thank you!
 
So it looks like nurburgring + snow = certain death?
 
I've been to the 'ring in the snow in a 911. Surprisingly they didn't let us on:nervous: So we went out on quad bikes instead:cool:
 
i think it's the germany location seen in course maker with snow.
 
Ironically, in a thread titled 'Snowy straight' there are no images up for speculation, so here is a poor quality screen cap (as good as the low res youtube clip would permit).

snowcap.jpg


So, its definitely not the Nurburgring, and probably not Charmonix. So where is it?
 
Ironically, in a thread titled 'Snowy straight' there are no images up for speculation, so here is a poor quality screen cap (as good as the low res youtube clip would permit).



So, its definitely not the Nurburgring, and probably not Charmonix. So where is it?

New fictional track I guess.
 
Indeed, this shot pretty much confirms its something we haven't seen before.

snowcapii.jpg
 
I think it's just a snow rally stage.
 
if the course maker allows to specify weather... as well as generate random tracks, it could be "Random Snowy Straight #89283474", never to be accuratley duplicated ever again?

edit: tree'd
 
Ironically, in a thread titled 'Snowy straight' there are no images up for speculation, so here is a poor quality screen cap (as good as the low res youtube clip would permit).



So, its definitely not the Nurburgring, and probably not Charmonix. So where is it?


The screencap to me vaguely looks like the backstraight of the old historic oval section at Monza (it does occasionally snow at Monza during winter), but that probably isn't the case.

ITA%20Monza%20F09.jpg

20040221_monza_sopraelevata_neve.png
 
Last edited:
Some of those pics look like rally tracks, sprint ones, not ones in circles like Chamonix. I suppose you can have random tracks across an area, such as the Forest of Norway, WRC style.
 
lol, maybe the stielstreck (the hill, not the corner ;) )
 
I'd love too see a Dodge Viper, skidding it's 500bhp around snow, around Nurburgring. That would simply be epic death/failure.
 
I wonder if GT has separate Winter Tires, as well a rain tire.
 
yeah, because all of us would rather drive that thing (piece of crap) than the red bull f1 car from 2008, sure.......

I would rather drive that then an F1 car.

And I know I'm not alone in voicing that sentiment.
 
With the exception of the ring, I thinking snow might only occur on rally type courses.

Now with random weather, wonder if NASCAR races will get red flaged :lol::lol:
 
We have more than enough premium supercars. One of the main reasons GT stands out is the inclusion of more mundane vehicles. I personally think something like a cappucino or an old Bluebird has a lot more personality than another aston martin or r8. And sure, exotics are neat, but I find it far more interesting to drive a more down to earth vehicle in gt.

So yeah, my point is: supercars are more than spoken for among the premiums, give those of us that prefer lower end vehicles more premiums to even stuff out :(
 
Monza oval in snow, at, night, with a mercedes wagon, going 10km = SUICIDE! (not saying it's confirmed of coarse)
 
Last edited:
Back