So what is your film of 2005??

  • Thread starter Thread starter 555
  • 113 comments
  • 4,252 views
Swift
Ok, can someone please tell me the extreme appeal of Unleashed? It was cool, if somewhat disturbing. And Jet Li did his usual great fighting. But I didn't think it was anything close to exceptional.

So, can somebody let me know?:boggled:
Your in the same boat as me, it was a okay film but nothing special.
 
I couldn't make up my mind between "Sin City", "Batman Begins", "War of the Worlds", "Crimson Rivers: Angels of the Apocalypse" before, but I was just watching Roger Ebert select "Crash" as his film of 2005. I think I agree with him. 👍
 
live4speed
It's not a 2005 film point blank, it came out years ago. Good movie though.
Misunderstood the thread title. Thought it said: what was the movie you liked a lot in 2005. A bit confusing for me (not having English as my native language).
 
Famine
You are kidding?

Team America left me in pain - "I'm so ronery". Hitchhiker's was rape. It's the first time I've been glad Douglas Adams is dead, because to see that horrendous injustice would have killed him anyway.

Oh my God... finally, somebody intelligent agrees with me!

After reading so many reviews on how funny "Hitchhiker's" was, I was beginning to think that my funnybone was broken. There are at least a hundred different things they could have done better and even if they did every last one, it still wouldn't do the series justice.
 
"Lords Of Dogtown" was probably my favorite one this year. But I also like "Aeon Flux"
 
It was only me who said Unleashed. Very few people agree with me. but i thought it was truelly brilliant. The best fight i've ever seen (the opening one). A new imaginative story, great acting & a brilliant mix of truelly brutal fights & a very nice & emotional story.
 
Is 'Sin City' 2005 , i could have sworn i caught it the end of 2004 . If not then . . .
'Crash' is my nomination.
 
Sin City is definately 2005, was earlier '05 in USA than in England, but was still 2005.
Now Sin City is a film i cant see why it got the huge praise it did. Dont get me wrong, it was good, but very over-hyped and slightly dissapointing in the end. But i think that was cause i had such high hopes.
7/10 at best.
 
I’m not sure if Man on Fire came out in Australia in 2004 or 2005. If it was 2005, than my vote would go with that.

Else, it would be Sideways, which I’m almost certain came out this year in Australia…
 
Man on Fire was last year here, completely awesome film imo.
 
Goblet of Fire was quite good, not so much because of the source material, but more because it has alot of really good actors going through their paces with a well written script. The worst movie of '05 by far was most definately Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, if only because I have't seen what Hitchhiker's was based on but have seen the original Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Keep in mind though, I haven't seen King Kong, so it may take best movie honors.
 
The worst movie you've seen was Charlie and the Chocolate factory, how many new movies had you seen tlast year, 2?
 
live4speed
The worst movie you've seen was Charlie and the Chocolate factory, how many new movies had you seen tlast year, 2?

My Thoughts exactly. Charlie and the chocolate Factory was a trip. The original was a little softer. But I like how the 2005 version got more into the life of Willy Wonka and why he was why he was. Not to mention Johnny Depp is a complete nut in front of the camera. :lol:
 
Charlie & the chocolate factory has to be one of the worst songs i have seen this year. It wasnt bad, jus not as good as most films i watched.

Man on Fire was absolutely brilliant, but was 2004.
 
555
Charlie & the chocolate factory has to be one of the worst songs i have seen this year. It wasnt bad, jus not as good as most films i watched.

Man on Fire was absolutely brilliant, but was 2004.
I should introduce you to my wife's brother. He only likes movies that I think are fun but nothing special and then doesn't like my favorites. For example, he thinks War of teh Worlds is the best movie all year and should get an award and he thinks King Kong was horrible.

He's also never seen a movie made before 1980.

Scary thought: he wants to be a movie actor but knows nothing about Orson Welles, but he thinks The Man Show is high class family entertainment.
 
FoolKiller
Scary thought: he wants to be a movie actor but knows nothing about Orson Welles, but he thinks The Man Show is high class family entertainment.

Honestly, I don't know wheter to laugh or cringe at that statement. :lol: :scared:
 
Update: I saw King Kong and think it definitely was not one of the best movies of the year.
 
1. Chronicles of Narnia
2. Batman Begins
3. Episode III

However, I'd rank E3 as better "in-home" than BB. Just more adventerous and non-stop action. It also helps that I've seen "The Clone Wars" V1, and V2.
 
Der Alta
However, I'd rank E3 as better "in-home" than BB. Just more adventerous and non-stop action. It also helps that I've seen "The Clone Wars" V1, and V2.

The sad part is...

The Clone wars was better then ANY of the movies. I really wish Lucas would've looked at clone wars BEFORE shooting Episode III and applied those concepts to the fight scenes. But that's something for the Episode III thread... :sly:
 
Being one of the biggest haters of Star Wars ever people wont listen to me, but how on earth can people say Ep III was so good?? The script was so poor it made Natalie Portman seem like a bad actress & Dont get me started on (king wooden) Haiden Christensen.
Ok it wasnt as bad as i thought it might be. 5/10 at best, thats mainly due to Yoda!
 
I will update my top three after having seen Narnia.

1) King Kong - seems to be person to person
2) Chronicles of Narnia - Would have been better if I didn't get front row (stadium seating)
3) Batman Begins
 
555
Ok it wasnt as bad as i thought it might be. 5/10 at best, thats mainly due to Yoda!

Yoda was one of the worst parts. I give it 2/10.
 
danoff
Yoda was one of the worst parts. I give it 2/10.

Yoda was one of the most underdone parts. Because the fight between the emperor /Yoda and Anakin/Obi-Wan were the same. Just in different locations. Yoda's fight should've been on a higher plane then just light sabers, as Danoff described very well in the Episode III thread.
 
I just find Yoda entertaining, even if his part wasnt very good. Its sorta like Donkey (shrek), even when he is sitting in the background i like him.

After finally seeing King Kong, i am definately sticking to either Crash or Unleashed.
 
Although I didn't see many movies in the past year, Serenity stands out in my head.

Until I remember more movies, I'm going to stick with Serenity.
 
555
After finally seeing King Kong, i am definately sticking to either Crash or Unleashed.
Just go with "Crash". You are driving people crazy! :lol:

Crash852
Although I didn't see many movies in the past year, Serenity stands out in my head.

Until I remember more movies, I'm going to stick with Serenity.
It certainly was one of the best I saw. I rented it, and it was so much better than how I thought it was going to be. Do check out the "Serenity" thread in the Movies & TV section. :)
 
Everyone else seems to be going with 2 or 3 films, so i will too. But if you want me to pick just one i will stick with Unleashed 👍
 
Haven't seen Team America, haven't seen Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy :(

But I did think that Lord Of War was pretty good.
 
I am going to have to agree with most of the people that said King Kong. Very very good movie once you get past the first half hour.
 
Got The Island today & was better than i remembered this would be in my top 5 of the year, Micheal Bay certainly can direct a car chase!

How come people moan when films have little/no character development, then in Kong when there is a nice hour long segment at the begining of character building people still moan! Films just cant win.
 
Back