So.. Who's been back to Spa?

• Thread starter Growling
  • 82 comments
Based on the current mini challenge so far, I'm useless! Spent about 15mins on it. I'm 1.5 off no1 position. I'm sure I can shave some time off but 1.5 is a lot! Highlights I do not know the cars/game well enough.

I think the recent update has changed this combo..

I just ran a 2:16.905 with relative ease. Last time I played, the 2:17.3 was hard work, this was a doddle..

Hi all, am new on here, apologies if this has been asked loads of times before!

I am looking at entering GT Academy Europe this year, so like yourselves i have started putting some laps in around last years final circuit SPA.

I have never played GT before up untill about a month ago, i've always been an F1 game driver etc.

So i have started practicing, i am using a control pad. my question relates to the above quote. Is there much difference in handling performance between the stock GTR GT3 RJN that you can buy on the game, and what was used for GT Academy online finals last year.

My best time so far is a 2.16.2, that is running on Racing Hards as from what i have seen/read, they were the compound tyre used in last years final, just for the sake of it i ran the Racing Softs and did a 2.13.8.

I have produced these times in arcade/free run & online modes. I watched some of the videos posted by last years finalists, running 2.14's approx on racing hards, i would consider myself a decent driver, there is no way in hell i can improve my 2.16.2 down to a low 2.14!!! I have watched the way they take some of the corners in their vids, and it is just not possible to replicate that when i try it out.

dgaf95integra - you said they the car was alot different in the seasonal GT Academy event, is that definetly the case? How much lap time do you think aprrox is the difference, and i can see you have done well in the competition in the past, should i invest in a wheel?

Thanks in advance guys, and good luck!

What's up dude I would Highly suggest you get a wheel ASAP cause even if you make the top spot on the leader boards for gt academy you won't be able to keep pace with every one at national because we are all on wheels!!!

I would suggest also stop running laps in arcade more it's different also none of us know what track and car the next gt academy will be with so just try and find the fastest guys on gran Turismo and see how you stack up with them that will really let you know of your ready or not

But yeah just keep putting in laps any free time you have you have to put in laps also try geting with in the top 30 in the time trails

After another few laps I was able to get a 2:16.299, so it's safe to say something's changed in the recent update, or man I've got a lot quicker lately.. Hopefully the latter. It was a very solid lap.

image.jpg

Last edited:
What's up dude I would Highly suggest you get a wheel ASAP cause even if you make the top spot on the leader boards for gt academy you won't be able to keep pace with every one at national because we are all on wheels!!!

I would suggest also stop running laps in arcade more it's different also none of us know what track and car the next gt academy will be with so just try and find the fastest guys on gran Turismo and see how you stack up with them that will really let you know of your ready or not

But yeah just keep putting in laps any free time you have you have to put in laps also try geting with in the top 30 in the time trails

Thanks a lot for the advice mate, I'm going to look at buying a wheel asap, I know I need to get one if I'm going to attempt this in a serious way. Do you have a recommendation on a wheel?

Also, which mode should I be practicing in? Free run/online lobbies?

I attempted that mini clubman challenge earlier, I am within 8 tenths of the leader but looking down the tables you can see nearly everyone is using a wheel!! Iv found 4 in front of me using a stick, we are all within 1tenth! I reckon I have a tenth or 2 max but never going to find 8 tenths.

Keep in mind that online/offline physics are slightly different. (mainly due to tire wear availability I think) GT Academy stuff is usually with online physics, so for time comparison, best to do it online.

I can confirm the thrustmaster t80 is truly rubbish on this game!! There is a massive deadzond where it just doesn't do anything at all, rubbish! Better do some research on wheels!

How can you free run time trial online??
Start up a public room and limit it to 2 people, kick anyone else that comes in OR start up a club room (if you have a club) and do the same, less likely a random person will join that one.

Ahhhh!!! I had no idea. So will the times be comparable to the GTA times from last year if I set up a room like that?

Yeah i noticed the cones in videos, iv been trying to avoid the kerbs/plotting the position you can hit them depending on where the cones were put. All for nothing though as im sure they wont use SPA agin this year!

I should imagine that time would put you among the fastest DS3 users in the world.

For comparison, the combo was leaked last year before the final round. A few people set times for practice. A player called @BanditKarter22 set a time of 2:16.3, with a wheel. He's one of the fastest gt players in the country, and was an academy race camp finalist in 2013
The car we used for that might've been a bit different I think? Can't remember if we limited the power or not... I would have a go now to see what time I can do but I've sold my wheel and I'm not that good with a DS3 :lol:

I popped back onto to SPA earlier and have taken my time down to a 2.15.783. I'm messing around with different cars & tracks now, desperately need to get a wheel though!

Fantastic - I could only hope to accomplish what you have. Keep up the good work and I'll be sure to post my own times as soon as I compute them.

I took your advice and bought a g27 yesterday, on special offer. It's great fun to use and on the current mini seasonal iv taken 2 tenths off but I know there is still a little time to come. Any advice on torque feedback & FFB settings mate??

Glad to hear you picked up g27 it won't let you down a lot of us fast sim racers use logitech wheels
DFGT/g25/g27

The torque and FFB settings is only there for you to tune it to the way you like it to fell some like
Light wheel some like heavy wheel ECT so it's all up to what you like
It's not like low setting is faster or heavy setting is faster it's all off what you like for the wheel settings

Turn it on to simulator and leave the powersteering OFF

Back