Soft Tires in Temperatures over 100

• Thread starter STALLIONO
  • 9 comments
Would you guys use softs in Temperatures over 100c? Anything under 100 use hards?
Erm isn't it soft tyres in cold and hard in hot temps ? I been using the app to check track temps and tyres the last few days above 40deg ish track temp the tyres do seem to over heat if the cars heavy but the lighter cars like the rookie I struggle to keep them warm any track temp just like the last game.

Would you guys use softs in Temperatures over 100c? Anything under 100 use hards?

Depends on the car and track. GT3, I wouldn't even touch the softs. At Le Mans, in a non GT3, I'd give softs a try at 100. Generally speaking, I almost only use hards above 100, and I don't really consider softs until it's under 90.

Erm isn't it soft tyres in cold and hard in hot temps ? I been using the app to check track temps and tyres the last few days above 40deg ish track temp the tyres do seem to over heat if the cars heavy but the lighter cars like the rookie I struggle to keep them warm any track temp just like the last game.
IT is indeed cold = soft.

What pressure are you running for the Rookie, as I don't have any issue keeping heat in them (keeping in mind that its so stupidly light you are never going to get them silly hot)?

If the track is cold, the Softs are incredible. In my GTE car at Daytona in January, the car felt stable in both day and night. However, on the Hards in the same condition, I was 1-2 seconds off the pace and the car was nowhere near as good and the opposite is the case for COTA in the Summer.

Last night I ran the v8s for 2 races online 1st race was set in spring the track was 29deg so a ran the soft tyres and they were running about 80/90deg in the race and they felt horrid to race on I came last :( .Next race was in the summer the track was 49deg so I ran the hard tyres they stayed around 80/90deg as well and felt very nice and stable to race on????? I didn't hit a single wall around Bathurst ;)

If the track is cold, the Softs are incredible. In my GTE car at Daytona in January, the car felt stable in both day and night. However, on the Hards in the same condition, I was 1-2 seconds off the pace and the car was nowhere near as good and the opposite is the case for COTA in the Summer.
Yup. I ran soft tyres for the recent community challenge there, which was set at night in February. The hard tyres were going cold in under a lap and even the softs were dropping below ideal temps but were lovely to drive and consistent.

When the conditions allow, the soft tyres are the perfect choice. At the end of the day (no pun intended :D), you just have to try them both in the conditions you want to practice/race in, see how they feel and if you can lap consistently on them. If not, try the other tyre.

Soft tyres are only usable if the track is very cold, like3º-4ºc, and even then their turning capabilities are very limited making you to understeer horribly by just the second lap. I don't think the soft tyres in this game work even properly.

I'd recommend using hard tyres even on very cold tarmac too. Just increase tyre pressure; stiffen the springs; dampers and anti-roll bars by a good margin; lower the height ride; almost completely close the brake-ducts, and also increase the car downforce by a good margin, preferably on the rear only.

Do this and you'll see how hard tyres can be faster than softs on very cold tarmac too. The goal of everything presented in the paragraph above of course is to make the tyre temps rise dramatically, for them maintain them warm too. Do not forget about asymmetrical tyre pressure configurations when requiered. They can make a difference as well in what it comes to overall car stability either on straights and corners, specially on cold conditions.

Back