Some remaining questions...

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 23 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
There still seem to be some unanswered questions about the future of Gran Turismo, and I'm not sure if these are things that could be coming to GT Sport necessarily, or if instead they could be coming to whatever GT game will be after GTS.

-There's the report of PD scanning the Isle of Man TT track.

-There were the photos of PD with a P4/5 Competizione, a Lancia Delta Integrale Group A Rally Car, and an Alfa Romeo 155TI.

-There was that report that the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak rally car would come to Gran Turismo.

-There are still being SEMA and Pebble Beach awards being given out - can we assume that cars like the GoPro Camaro Mk.II will be coming to GT?

I mean, I think it'd be a bit weird to have a ton of custom and vintage cars in GT Sport, since there seems to be a large emphasis on creating balanced racing classes. Of course, PD could always buff/nerf some vehicles to fit in a class, and offer them alongside their original specs, like we see with some of the Gr.1 cars. There's also, of course, the ongoing Vision GT program, and that report that interiors could be in the GTS versions of cars like the Mercedes-Benz VGT.

There's also the factor the PD and Kaz appear to have a good relation with Porsche, and that Porsche's EA-exclusivity deal is now over, plus the comment by Kaz that hundreds more cars could be coming to GTS via DLC. Who knows what could be next? Perhaps we'll get some news at E3, or better yet, the Tokyo Auto Salon, as unlikely that'd be.

XXI
All great questions that none of us have real answers to.
The only question I would like answered is a solid release date.
It's still showing on the PS store preorder available with a release date of 12/31/17.
I'm beyond ready for a GT on my PS4.

my Collector's Edition preorder receipt is already getting moldy. :mad::banghead::(:indiff:

If, I mean IF, and realize, PD(Kaz) say they don't look at other games, they could make an expansion. I'm not wishing that at all, but it does seem to be an option since PD are behind this console's game release.

If by miracle, GT_ is ready by PS5 release, an expansion may not be needed. But geez, PD are so far behind what the gaming world are doing.

The Isle of Mann(full circuit) in GT Sport would be outrageously awesome.

I don't see how. It's a TT course, it's absolutely useless for actual racing in cars. It still seems like an absolute waste of resources to me modelling such a huge track that a) isn't even known for cars and b) isn't wide enough to race on. At some points it's not much wider than one cars width.

All that time, all that effort, for time trialing. Maybe that's just me though.

37.73 miles. And people complain when the 'Ring shows up as a online seasonal.

It would be just like Kaz to do it just "because". Never mind that you could reasonably make 10-12 normal sized tracks for the same effort.

Perhaps it's not meant for GT at all. Perhaps Isle of Man TT as a follow up to TT?

I don't see how. It's a TT course, it's absolutely useless for actual racing in cars. It still seems like an absolute waste of resources to me modelling such a huge track that a) isn't even known for cars and b) isn't wide enough to race on. At some points it's not much wider than one cars width.

Add to that, the fact that, in an official TT run, you're going to be DQ'd for rubbing the track edge, real or fictional, leading to nothing but frustration for the vast majority of players, who don't put in the time and effort to learn every single corner.

The modelling job is just going to be humongous, it's not like the ring where the vast majority of it is simple greenery and nothing to render in the distance because it's not visible. Modelling wise, the ring is mostly a small 'corridor'. The IOM runs through several dense villages, towns and then the rest is mostly wide open countryside with a ton of stuff to model. A few games and mods have attempted it but not to the detail PD would.

As @Tired Tyres says no matter how much people might appreciate it, most people would surely appreciate having 10 smaller tracks for more variety instead.

The only way it would make sense to me is if they outsourced it entirely to someone else, but we know the likelyhood of that....

XXI
It's still showing on the PS store preorder available with a release date of 12/31/17.

Which I believe is just a placeholder date, anyway.

Ugh I'm with you guys. The wait is killing me. I feel confident that it will be worth it though! Do you guys think we will see classic cars again?

If we do, then I'd wager it'd be in an expansion, and in a group that'll be introduced post-launch, like a hypothetical Gr.1-Retro, or an N300-Retro.

The only way it would make sense to me is if they outsourced it entirely to someone else, but we know the likelyhood of that....

Or, I had another idea just now. Maybe they're not adding the IoM TT course at all, but instead scanning it for reference in designing a new made-for-game course. Like some sort of collage for circuit design.

I know it's a crazy long shot, but to all 4 subjects - Gran Turismo 7

I heard GT Sport is essentially GT7. Unless by GT7, you meant whichever installment of GT is coming after GT Sport.

I know it's a crazy long shot, but to all 4 subjects - Gran Turismo 7
Same here, Rodolpho.

Call me old-fashioned, but I continue to hold onto the hope that these tracks and GTS' excellent graphics and sound will end up being included in / a subset of a mind-bogglingly-awesome GT7.

The modelling job is just going to be humongous, it's not like the ring where the vast majority of it is simple greenery and nothing to render in the distance because it's not visible. Modelling wise, the ring is mostly a small 'corridor'. The IOM runs through several dense villages, towns and then the rest is mostly wide open countryside with a ton of stuff to model. A few games and mods have attempted it but not to the detail PD would.

As @Tired Tyres says no matter how much people might appreciate it, most people would surely appreciate having 10 smaller tracks for more variety instead.

Finely detailed tracks and PD...are you being sarcastic!? They make the most sterile tracks ever seen in a racing game

Finely detailed tracks and PD...are you being sarcastic!? They make the most sterile tracks ever seen in a racing game

When you say "sterile," do you mean trackside details, or the circuit design itself?

I heard GT Sport is essentially GT7. Unless by GT7, you meant whichever installment of GT is coming after GT Sport.

I really don't see GTS as another sequel. It's too far from the original concept.

This is just my perception, probably just based on my hopes and dreams - GTS looks like something they're putting out in the market to fill a gap, explore/develop e-sports and VR, and use that knowledge on the next GT. It's something to sell until whatever they're really working on.

Like i said it's a long shot, but that would answer a lot of questions right? But i know it's probably not the case.

:cheers:

Last edited:

There is a video on youtube of 600hp prodrive subaru doing a time attack, not sure about overtaking but still a great track.

I really don't see GTS as another sequel. It's too far from the original concept.

I agree, but I thought I remember hearing Kaz saying that GTS could be considered GT7. Then again, people change minds, like how Kaz previously said he wanted to keep standard cars because of the fan-following some of them have in the community, and now there're not gonna be there - though they could very well be in the process of being improved.

There is a video on youtube of 600hp prodrive subaru doing a time attack, not sure about overtaking but still a great track.

That's true, yeah. Maybe the Circuit de la Sierra was sort of like that, in retrospect - perhaps we'll get the IoM TT course with a new Time Rally mode? I don't remember the Circuit de la Sierra being good for racing, either...

This is just my perception, probably just based on my hopes and dreams - GTS looks like something they're putting out in the market to fill a gap, explore/develop e-sports and VR, and use that knowledge on the next GT. It's something to sell until whatever they're really working on.

Like i said it's a long shot, but that would answer a lot of questions right? But i know it's probably not the case.

:cheers:
Hey, I've always seen it like this too, mate; it just makes sense.

Why kill a huge fan base that's gonna jump all over a GT7?

Why dump all the assets already-created, especially as, IIRC, many of them were originally created in much-higher res than the PS could render at the time, with a view to the future?

Why not consolidate all the awesome tracks from the back catalogue for inclusion in GT7?

Why ditch any cars when "standard" ones could be upgraded by PD and / or sorted via future menus?

Way too many questions, I reckon, and in each case, IMHO, only a continuation of the traditional series' format is able to account for these glaring "sacrifices" or omissions for the sake of GTS.

I see no reason why the two series can't coexist; they cater for different markets with sufficient crossover that many will opt to buy both.

When you say "sterile," do you mean trackside details, or the circuit design itself?
Both. I find most of the textures used to be repetitive and the tile-effect look of most tracksides is pretty bad, imo.

Both. I find most of the textures used to be repetitive and the tile-effect look of most tracksides is pretty bad, imo.

I'm not sure I was clear enough - when I said "the circuit design itself," I didn't mean the tarmac/kerbs, but rather the actual layout of the road. Like the turns, banking, hills, etc. I mean, I do really like Apricot Hill and Midway, not to mention the various city courses in GT4.

I'm not sure I was clear enough - when I said "the circuit design itself," I didn't mean the tarmac/kerbs, but rather the actual layout of the road. Like the turns, banking, hills, etc. I mean, I do really like Apricot Hill and Midway, not to mention the various city courses in GT4.
I like some of their fictional track designs, they just lack detail and look dead. They clearly put 95% of the graphic power into the cars and maybe 5% into the track, imo. It's not the worst thing in the world but compared to other contemporary games and sims it's pretty obvious.

I like some of their fictional track designs, they just lack detail and look dead. They clearly put 95% of the graphic power into the cars and maybe 5% into the track, imo. It's not the worst thing in the world but compared to other contemporary games and sims it's pretty obvious.

Can you please show us what looks bad about the tracks? Is it the lack of tree physics or 2d trees in the background? From what I've seen from the pictures and footage, the tracks looks great and it has lots of details, like animated and moving crowds, 3d trees with subsurface scattering, air balooons, fully animated track marshall, gravel physics and probably more. I'm always confused about people saying it looks bad. I'm just curious about this.

Same here ArR29. I've always felt each iteration of GT's tracks looked great.

My biggest beef has been the cardboard-cutout trees, which thankfully are finally disappearing fast, starting with Bathurst in GT6, IIRC.

My only minor beef has been a sense of sterility; a "dead" atmosphere, if you will. IMHO, this will be cured one day with the addition of wind / breezes and litter blowing about the place. The occasional flock of birds doesn't quite do it for me.

Back