Sonic 2017

• Thread starter GTFan24
  • 11 comments
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
MW3Fan34

What is known at the moment:

• Its being made by the same studio behind "Sonic Colors" and "Sonic Generations"
  • Its not a sequel and "a new experience"

Release Date: Holiday 2017

Platforms: PS4, XB1, PC, NX

I believe it is like Sonic Genereations but with brand new Zones, new gameplay mechanics and a non-simplistic story.

Hopefully there are more levels in each Zone this time. 2 Acts per zone in Generations made the game too short. (or just a tone of singular stages)

Interesting. If the gameplay is similar to Colors and/or Generations, I'm sure it can't be bad. The trailer's aesthetic reminds me of Crisis City. Sonic 06 Generations 2 confirmed? Sonic Mania also looks good.

Crazy Theory, maybe Dr. Eggman has been trying to take over the future (because it kind of looks like Crisis City mix with City Escape). Would be cool to have another Silver boss :P

I'm concerned that they haven't actually learned anything aside from acknowledging the lack of QA. I guess I expected more of a "it'll really be different this time, honest!" vibe from the reveal, but maybe they'll get to that later.

I wonder if Sonic Mania has the right platforming physics to back up its nostalgia-digging aesthetics and zones. It looks like it might, but it's just a bit difficult to believe it.

Since we can lump in Sonic Mania into this thread, here is a bit of history behind the developers of the game, Taxman and Stealth. By the way, if you haven't played their remakes of Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and 2, you really should. They do those games justice.

I'm concerned that they haven't actually learned anything aside from acknowledging the lack of QA. I guess I expected more of a "it'll really be different this time, honest!" vibe from the reveal, but maybe they'll get to that later.

I wonder if Sonic Mania has the right platforming physics to back up its nostalgia-digging aesthetics and zones. It looks like it might, but it's just a bit difficult to believe it.
With Whitehead at the helm, you can assume it is gonna be just like the originals. He reverse engineered Sonic CD so knows exactly how the platforming should be.

This is a match made in heaven thus far.

I don't think this deserves its own thread yet (until they prove they'll see it through to a complete game), but on the subject of classic Sonic games versus modern Sonic games, and wishes for a 3D Sonic game...this new proof-of-concept for a fangame called Sonic Utopia does an incredible job of translating the intuitive momentum-based platforming of the Genesis originals into a 3D playground:

You can get the free download here. What the demo lacks in cohesive level structure is compensated by the joy of just launching yourself around on the abundance of slopes, platforms, ramps, and loops, finding ways to get from A to B while practicing controlling Sonic, which I think is the point. There are also secrets to find, and a few sections that hint at what a proper game could feel like with this gameplay -- uncannily similar to one of the 2D Genesis titles, if you ask me!

I also really like the innocence of the aesthetics. Sonic resembles his appearance in the anime FMV clips from Sonic CD, the world is crisply rendered and actually manages to add a bit of freshness to the done-to-death retro Green Hill Zone style, and the enemy robots are kind of adorable, a fitting depiction for the helpless critters trapped inside. The pitter-patter of Sonic's feet as an indicator of your speed is also a great touch.

Latest Posts

Back