Sony and Microsoft Announce Game and Content-Streaming Partnership

Microsoft is 15 times more valuable than Sony is.
False.

That's not factoring in all the revenue that PD brings in alone. After you factor that in, you'll see it's the other way around. Forza releases 15 games in the same time frame PD releases one, so that means Microsoft is desperate and struggling.

Microsoft has enough cash reserves alone to outright buy Sony twice; and that's after Sony's value soared following this announcement.

...lol man, you don't get it don't you? rofl

BTW, who cares if MS or Sony have money or not to buy each other... at the end user, aka gamer will suffer...

False.

That's not factoring in all the revenue that PD brings in alone. After you factor that in, you'll see it's the other way around. Forza releases 15 games in the same time frame PD releases one, so that means Microsoft is desperate and struggling.
Microsoft (MSFT) - Has a Market Cap of 981.38 Billion and Sony Corp (SNE) - Has a Market Cap 66.88 Billion. What this means is that Microsoft is valued approximately 14 times the valuation of Sony and is what the company is worth if sold.

You can argue and say that the Market Cap doesn't take into consideration a company's Outstanding Debt but, even the EV (Enterprise Valuation) which is a valuation like Market Cap but also takes into consideration the debt of a company is also on par with their Market Caps as both companies's debt ratios are similar.

So ye, right now Microsoft is considered to be a bigger company.

Microsoft (MSFT) - Has a Market Cap of 981.38 Billion and Sony Corp (SNE) - Has a Market Cap 66.88 Billion. What this means is that Microsoft is valued approximately 14 times the valuation of Sony and is what the company is worth if sold.

You can argue and say that the Market Cap doesn't take into consideration a company's Outstanding Debt but, even the EV (Enterprise Valuation) which is a valuation like Market Cap but also takes into consideration the debt of a company is also on par with their Market Caps as both companies's debt ratios are similar.

So ye, right now Microsoft is considered to be a bigger company.
False.

PD sells a lot of games. So that doesn’t matter all.

I know there’s some that don’t catch it, but it’s a joke :)

Microsoft has enough cash reserves alone to outright buy Sony twice; and that's after Sony's value soared following this announcement.

Of course Microsoft are far bigger, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot in this context.

Even if Microsoft wanted to buy Sony (which would make no sense), Sony would have to want to sell. There are other ways to acquire a company, of course, but let's just keep it simple. Let's assume Microsoft convinced Sony to sell. How do you think the market is going to react to that kind of takeover or purchase? Especially in Asia where a lot of Sony's value lies and Microsoft have less brand loyalty? Speaking of brand loyalty, it seems to me Sony are a company that have a higher than average brand loyalty among their consumers. I can't imagine people would be pleased. What about the incredibly valuable PlayStation brand? I imagine the reaction of a lot of consumers in the console gaming space would be catastrophically bad. So suddenly Microsoft would be left with a shiny new asset they probably had to overpay for that is now severely tanked in value. You can see why these things start to make little sense when we start digging into them. Microsoft are too smart for this. These days they are a vibrant and healthy company. They aren't in the business of lighting mountains of cash on fire (tens of billions in this case) just to please Xbox fanboys. The idea that Microsoft could just buy Sony "if they chose to" has always been largely nonsense. It is one of those things that is "technically true", but quickly falls apart upon further inspection. Hey, it is technically true that Scarlett Johansson has never turned me down for a date, but somehow I think my chances remain slim even if I was somehow able to ask her out. :lol:

I like it just the way it is. A healthy and dynamic Sony and Microsoft that continue their healthy rivalry while pushing each other to innovate and find new ways to appeal to consumers. It's a win/win for us.

Last edited:
Agreed this is the big news here, cross platform play to help populate the servers.
This is one main reason what made many PC games with online features so popular and desirable. This cross platform should really help in peaking the interests of many gamers but they should have done the pact a long time ago.

This is about competing with Stadia. Stadia is even the reason for the PS5 Wired article. Sony wanted to drive home that PS5 games will have almost no loading times due to its special SSD tech. One of Stadia's main selling points will be the fact that there will be no loading times. Sony wants to ensure investors they are taking cloud gaming seriously and will utilize one of the worlds best platforms for this endeavour.

Great to see these companies making a business deal here. This will help Sony massively with their PSN and PS Now service, while Microsoft further expand their every growing azure service.

They have created an HDR group, too. For those that didn't know.

The Kinect is still a thing?
it is. Although not really gaming related. As i recall the technology is among others part of holoLens and medical technology.

Edit:

Last edited:
I know it won't happen, but this gives me a very small glimmer of hope that we will see a good baseball game on the Xbox.

https://kotaku.com/report-microsoft-and-sonys-cloud-gaming-collaboration-1834883347

when the collaboration was announced publicly last week, most of Sony’s own console gaming team would have been hearing about it the same time you or I did. Understandably this freaked some folks out, the report claiming “Managers had to calm workers and assure them that plans for the company’s next-generation console weren’t affected”.

It's a shame that lower-ranking employees had to learn of its own company's business in the news along with everyone else, but it's understandable why. The announcement was a big deal last week, and news such as this would be easy to leak if the likes of a company-wide email were sent out explaining things. Although, we have to assume the likes of Sony higher-ups Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan, and John Kodera were aware of the upcoming partnership.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...uard_by_sonys_tech_partnership_with_microsoft

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...crosoft-worried-the-unaware-playstation-team/

It seems…odd that such a pivotal deal for the future of PlayStation gaming wouldn’t be discussed with the PlayStation team, but apparently, this means little for the PS5, which is still on the way, likely in 2020.

Last edited:
Understandably this freaked some folks out, the report claiming “Managers had to calm workers and assure them that plans for the company’s next-generation console weren’t affected”.
I think this news is mostly clickbait, because these deals happen always without letting everyone know. Business as usual and the partnership involves more than just Playstation on Sony's part.

Last edited:
Can you quote where anyone said it just involved playstation ?
Some don't seem to know, how and what businesses this deal affects and Bloomberg thought it's necessary to state the obvious with a clickbait article.

@kikie
In which regard do you mean this? In my opinion this will affect the services on the backend massively and hopefully we get more cross play games. However, we won't see xCloud on PS5 or vice versa.

This is mostly an deal to provide better services for each other consumers imo. Online infrastructure, sensors, AI (both for sensors, gaming, ...).

Maschine learning can do a lot, including in games. An modder for instance used an AI to massively increase the quality of TES: Oblivion textures. This could make remaster easier, if azure will support this in the future.

Edit:
https://customers.microsoft.com/en-us/story/io-interactive

https://customers.microsoft.com/en-us/story/ubisoft-media-telco-azure

Last edited:
@kikie
In which regard do you mean this? In my opinion this will affect the services on the backend massively and hopefully we get more cross play games. However, we won't see xCloud on PS5 or vice versa.
PS <> Xbox. Are they going to partner up as well? What about PS games and Xbox games?

I don't think we'll see xbox games on ps or ps games on xbox. This is about backend more than anything else imo. We have to wait and see...

Some don't seem to know, how and what businesses this deal affects and Bloomberg thought it's necessary to state the obvious with a clickbait article.
Forbes has now put out the same news.
And from sony and microsoft both have said game streaming will be involved , so unless sony plans putting out anew company for game streaming , it very much involved playstation , and from the looks of it sony made the deal without telling playstation division .

Until we hear otherwise from sony im not sure what good wishing will do for anyone .

Of course Microsoft are far bigger, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot in this context
The context you provided following this quote is not the context I was responding to. The context I was responding to was "Sony and Microsoft are both about the same size as each other" and "Sony could buy Microsoft."

Forbes has now put out the same news.
And from sony and microsoft both have said game streaming will be involved , so unless sony plans putting out anew company for game streaming , it very much involved playstation , and from the looks of it sony made the deal without telling playstation division .

Until we hear otherwise from sony im not sure what good wishing will do for anyone .
I never said it didn't involve Playstation. It's normal that companies don't tell employees about these deals beforehand and this is why i don't get this Bloomberg article. Its business as usual.

Back