Sony Announces PlayStation 5 'Pro' Controller, the DualSense Edge

I read an interesting detail, that they named gow ragnarok in the blog article and perfect made for that to play.
So I think, it is planned to b ready to holiday business, I could imagine.
But they are still not sure if they can reach that target, so they were unclear.

Last edited:
It all comes down to price for me. I won't buy a controller for $200 or even $150 probably, unless there's other upgrades, like battery size. I haven't had any issues with my regular Dualsense controller from launch, so no need to swap it.

Finally!
Let's hope they have learned their lesson from the PS4 back-button attachment debacle - make lot's of them and don't make it a Game store exclusive!

Is this the reason there are still no second party controllers? Still waiting for a one in asymetric design with the xbox layout. Had the one from Nacon on the PS4. The dual sense is a bit too small for my hands like on the previous generation playstations and I absolutely prefer the left analogue stick on the upper left side instead of the D-Pad but there is nothing on the market to buy. Off course it should have the dual sense functions.

Last edited:
To be fair today was the first time I really had the chance to buy a non-bundled disc PS5 for the standard price here in Europe of 499 € from Sony directly. Got mine in Novembre 2021 but it was bundle version with FIFA and another black controller which I didn't want and it was still a lucky shot just beeing faster than others at that time.

Would happily accept some extra weight for increased battery life over the standard controller.

Xbox elite pad seems to last indefinitely in comparison.

They need to make a Dual Sense slim, since the controller is super uncomfortable for me and other people with smaller hands. I literally can't buy PS5 games due to this stupid controller design. I don't get why they can't allow you to use Dualshock 4 on PS5 games......
Oh well...looks like I'm still planning only PS4 games on my PS5.
p.s For those wondering why I even bought a PS5...i got it since it was basically the same price as a PS4 Pro....and I had a PS4 Slim

I expect a premium price tag.

There are already a handful of companies that sell modified PS4/PS5 "pro" controllers intended for eSports, usually starting around $200-250 USD, with similar features (although none have removable thumb stick modules). Scuf Gaming being the biggest.

As long as Sony come in under that, they can poach those sales. Unfortunately, I don't think that Sony need to sell the controller dirt cheap, so I think it'll be something enthusiasts go after but your average gamer will pass up.

They need to make a Dual Sense slim, since the controller is super uncomfortable for me and other people with smaller hands. I literally can't buy PS5 games due to this stupid controller design. I don't get why they can't allow you to use Dualshock 4 on PS5 games......
Oh well...looks like I'm still planning only PS4 games on my PS5.
p.s For those wondering why I even bought a PS5...i got it since it was basically the same price as a PS4 Pro....and I had a PS4 Slim
This would be solved if Sony allowed players to use their DS4 controllers for PS5 games. This really needs to happen as the Dualsense can be quite uncomfortable for competitive play.

This would be solved if Sony allowed players to use their DS4 controllers for PS5 games. This really needs to happen as the Dualsense can be quite uncomfortable for competitive play.
The problem is that DS4 does not support all the features of the DS which then leaves devs in the bind of having to support two flavours of control for their games - or as what often happens in such circumstances - just end up implementing the lowest common set of features - which is the last thing Sony wants as it wants/needs devs to support all the features of the DS where possible.

Perhaps what we really need is more options from more manufacturers offering controllers for different hand sizes - and of course different levels of mobility. Disabled gamers are still woefully catered for by the games industry.

Last edited:
That's a pretty fair take, but I just feel like the DS4 is the Dualshock in it's most perfected form (not to mention but it's d-pad is also superior to the Dualsense's). Wasn't a huge fan of the PS4, but it's controller gets 2 big thumbs up from me.

Going by price of tge xbox elite controllers (which are great btw), I doubt this Edge will retail for much less, probably will be similar price.

I’ll definitely be buying this for PC gaming instead of a scuff which are like $300.

Last edited:
We'll sell you the whole controller, but you only need THE EDGE.

Jerome

What annoys me about these elite types of controllers whether sony, Xbox, scuff etc is we get these 4 extra buttons/paddles that duplicate another button that we already got.

With games nowadays having multiple button inputs (especially sims & strategy games) like ACC, MS Flight simulator or pretty much any PC title converted to console where they try to fit an entire keyboard layout onto a 12+ button controller, why aren't these 4 extra paddles acting like a left/right shift/alt key so we can have 48+ key configurations if we desire & I've always wondered why they don't implement holding a button down when you configure your controls.

In ACC or AMS2 or any racing game instead of having 1 button to turn lights on & off and another button for wipers imagine if you could press a button for lights & hold the same button for wipers etc, it frees up a button for something else (this would be handy for wheel users without a button box aswell)

I know this button holding is in some games as default but as soon as you want to configure it you lose the ability to assign a long press command for that button, this is where these paddles could be handy.

Hold paddle 1 press dpad up/down to adjust TC
Hold paddle 2 press dpad up/down to adjust ABS
Hold paddle 3 press dpad up/down to adjust seat position.
Hold paddle 4 press dpad up/down to adjust brake bias.

That's 8 inputs confined to the dpad up/down which leaves countless other button configuration left to do with as you please.

I don't know who's responsible for implementing this sort of stuff Sony, Microsoft or the game designers but a controller doesn't have to be the handicap it used to be when it comes to the amount of controller inputs a certain game requires.

Last edited:
I’m annoyed that a usb cable will mostly likely not be included.
11EFB01D-8D83-40F5-ACA9-3566CD830881.jpg

I’m happy to be proven wrong, Sony is usually so cheap when it comes to those kind of things.

Last edited:
Back