Sony Bravia Master Ad Hints at RUF’s Possible Gran Turismo Return

Obviously, there are some exceptions there, especially if that certain RUF model can be considered to be something special.

Let's just hope that PD picks them rather than the ones that would feel closely similar to some Porsche models that already exist in the game because if they choose the similar models, it would feel as if they just replicated them under some different badging and hence, would essentially act like dupes.
True. Ruf definitely has enough models that are distinct enough from Porsche. I listed the models I did specifically because they don't have close Porsche counterparts.

RUF DER WILDNIS.jpg

OOPS ... it's in German :D !

Even after reading this article, I'm honestly not convinced that RUF will ever show up again in GT now that Porsche is in, to be honest.

A vast majority of games after the Porsche-EA exclusivity deal dropped RUF in favor of the real thing, with the only exception in the AAA market I know of being The Crew 2. Even then, neither cars directly compete against each other within that game since they're in separate disciplines. Explanation in the spoiler tag below:

Porsches are in Street Race, Hypercar and Touring Car; all of which have AI drivers, some of which can spawn in aforementioned Porsches. RUFs on the other hand are relegated to Drift and Drag, which feature no AI whatsoever and just have the player driving against themselves. The only exception to this is Rally Raid which has both the 959 Dakar and Raid-spec RUF 3400K but Raid races are primarily a race against the clock.

There's also the possibility that Porsche may be barring them from showing up in any game they're in as a result of this; the most notable case being the mobile game Asphalt 8, which made all Porsche-derivatives (RUF CTR3 and RT 12 S, 9FF GT9 VMAX and Rinspeed zaZen) unobtainable by the time they added proper Porsches via content updates.

EDIT: Also yes, I know Forza Motorsport 4 and Horizon 2 feature both marques at the same time, competing directly against each other, but this was around the time when EA still had an iron grip on the Porsche license.

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are pics looking back through the rear window. The CTR3 doesn’t have a rear window. It’s a different car.
I like how they used All My Life as music for the ad too.

Last edited:
The layout of the airvents and controls look like the 987 boxster/cayman, as well as the silver door pulls, but cant place the seats with the quilted/diamond pattern and fat silver dial surround,

Doesnt look like the CTR3 interior to me, maybe an aftermarket/modded boxster/cayman

Last edited:
A vast majority of games after the Porsche-EA exclusivity deal dropped RUF in favor of the real thing, with the only exception in the AAA market I know of being The Crew 2.
Trivia: The remaining RUF on that game are all not in bone stock, street race form. But either drag spec, drift spec, or rally raid spec. So even in The Crew 2 it is already compromised.

Maybe some implicit deals has to do with it.

I don't see Ruf And Porsche being competitors... And so Porsche should not feel threatened by Ruf...

I really don't see why they should be mutually exclusive to each other...

If Porsche feels threaten by Ruf, then why do they even supply cars for Ruf to make ?!

The success of Ruf should be celebrated by Porsche because RUF is just a Porsche underneath.. (over simplification but you get my drift)

Even after reading this article, I'm honestly not convinced that RUF will ever show up again in GT now that Porsche is in, to be honest.

A vast majority of games after the Porsche-EA exclusivity deal dropped RUF in favor of the real thing, with the only exception in the AAA market I know of being The Crew 2. Even then, neither cars directly compete against each other within that game since they're in separate disciplines.

While I could certainly understand the mentality of everyone now having "The Real Thing", not so sure GT is Done with RUF. Perhaps not GT Sport (although that shot in the new studio, and not in the old studio suggests otherwise), but I wouldn't count them out yet.

There's also the possibility that Porsche may be barring them from showing up in any game they're in as a result of this; the most notable case being the mobile game Asphalt 8, which made all Porsche-derivatives (RUF CTR3 and RT 12 S, 9FF GT9 VMAX and Rinspeed zaZen) unobtainable by the time they added proper Porsches via content updates.

This I'm not so sure of. I don't recall Porsche having such a seemingly petty behavior like that and I have a hard time believing they would resort to such a tactic when they ironically still supply RUF. What would be the point of Barring the very company you still supply? Can't be them feeling threatened by RUF as I'm very sure by now even they know people are far more aware of Porsche then they are RUF, hence so much of the Sim racing genre dropping RUF for "The Real Thing" now that EA has no control over them. Asphalt 8 doing that for whatever reason is something I feel they decided to do, I can't see this being Porsche effectively making everyone choose between them or RUF.

Renault CLio RS '16 & '17 say "Hi". ;)

but wait. you forget the most important difference with the 2017 model: It has Renault Sport shaped Foglamps :lol:

Last edited:
This I'm not so sure of. I don't recall Porsche having such a seemingly petty behavior like that and I have a hard time believing they would resort to such a tactic when they ironically still supply RUF. What would be the point of Barring the very company you still supply? Can't be them feeling threatened by RUF as I'm very sure by now even they know people are far more aware of Porsche then they are RUF, hence so much of the Sim racing genre dropping RUF for "The Real Thing" now that EA has no control over them. Asphalt 8 doing that for whatever reason is something I feel they decided to do, I can't see this being Porsche effectively making everyone choose between them or RUF.

The rare trend of erasing cars in a game that continually receives updates is more common in mobile games, I would presume it has to do with the "games-as-a-service" business model and bending to licensing issues. RUF, 9FF and Rinspeed weren't the only brands erased from Asphalt because of licensing issues, Toyota/Scion were erased from Asphalt 8 as well around the same time we found out Toyota road cars wouldn't show up in Forza Motorsport 7 and majority of other non-Japanese racing games. Real Racing 3 also ended up delisting certain vehicles from purchase (primarily NASCAR and V8 Supercars) around January 2019 because of "aligning with the licensing policies of [their] motorsport partners".

Again, I'm still convinced Porsche and RUF don't seem to want to play well with each other in the video game world; once again the only way you'd even be able to see both brands together in a game is either:
  • The game has RUF at the start and you have to pay money for a separate DLC/Expansion Pack that contains Porsches (Forza Motorsport 4, Forza Horizon 2, Assetto Corsa)
  • Both games feature the brands during the base game but they're segregated from each other and can't directly face off against each other (The Crew 2, Gear.Club Unlimited 2. See my post above).
But again, these are the exception rather than the rule itself.

The rare trend of erasing cars in a game that continually receives updates is more common in mobile games, I would presume it has to do with the "games-as-a-service" business model and bending to licensing issues. RUF, 9FF and Rinspeed weren't the only brands erased from Asphalt because of licensing issues, Toyota/Scion were erased from Asphalt 8 as well around the same time we found out Toyota road cars wouldn't show up in Forza Motorsport 7 and majority of other non-Japanese racing games. Real Racing 3 also ended up delisting certain vehicles from purchase (primarily NASCAR and V8 Supercars) around January 2019 because of "aligning with the licensing policies of [their] motorsport partners".

Again, I'm still convinced Porsche and RUF don't seem to want to play well with each other in the video game world; once again the only way you'd even be able to see both brands together in a game is either:
  • The game has RUF at the start and you have to pay money for a separate DLC/Expansion Pack that contains Porsches (Forza Motorsport 4, Forza Horizon 2, Assetto Corsa)
  • Both games feature the brands during the base game but they're segregated from each other and can't directly face off against each other (The Crew 2, Gear.Club Unlimited 2. See my post above).

True! Also RaceRoom had RUFs as a replacement for the missing Porsche Content.
After they got the Porsche Licence and made the real GT3 Porsche, the GT3 RUF was taken out of the store and isn't available anymore. the only remaining RUFs are in classes which don't include Porsches (GTR1 and GTR2).

So another example of Porsche and RUF, that they don't seem to want to play well with each other in the video game world.

While I can see the mobile Game side being what it is, I merely see Raceroom once again going for "The Real Thing" more then anything else (Because realistically, how many people are gonna want that car vs the Actual Porsche 911 GT3-R?). Would seem like bad business decision for Porsche to suddenly force RUF, a Company they've had a solid relationship with, out of the same sphere. And for what? Being effectively a "Substitute" not even by their own doing but ironically, by a decision Porsche themselves made?

So I've been trying to find images that are for this CTR3 to be the car,

Has the quilted seats and the rear window will rollbar but no CTR logo,

Looks spot on but Black wheel in the video?
Door sill protector thing however looks different, video seems to be silver with a black rectangle and some text where the CTR3 is silver with RUF text in black

A vast majority of games after the Porsche-EA exclusivity deal dropped RUF in favor of the real thing, with the only exception in the AAA market I know of being The Crew 2. Even then, neither cars directly compete against each other within that game since they're in separate disciplines. Explanation in the spoiler tag below:

Porsches are in Street Race, Hypercar and Touring Car; all of which have AI drivers, some of which can spawn in aforementioned Porsches. RUFs on the other hand are relegated to Drift and Drag, which feature no AI whatsoever and just have the player driving against themselves. The only exception to this is Rally Raid which has both the 959 Dakar and Raid-spec RUF 3400K but Raid races are primarily a race against the clock.

EDIT: Also yes, I know Forza Motorsport 4 and Horizon 2 feature both marques at the same time, competing directly against each other, but this was around the time when EA still had an iron grip on the Porsche license.
Hey don't forget Assetto Corsa, they both have Porsche and RUF together...

The RUF CTR3 will be an N700-class car. Would make sense if one day they add the Porsche 911 GT2 RS and the RUF Rt 12 R. Would make for an interesting rivalry.

So I've been trying to find images that are for this CTR3 to be the car,

Has the quilted seats and the rear window will rollbar but no CTR logo,

Looks spot on but Black wheel in the video?
Door sill protector thing however looks different, video seems to be silver with a black rectangle and some text where the CTR3 is silver with RUF text in black
Oh

Hey don't forget Assetto Corsa, they both have Porsche and RUF together...

The RUF CTR3 will be an N700-class car. Would make sense if one day they add the Porsche 911 GT2 RS and the RUF Rt 12 R. Would make for an interesting rivalry.

Refer to my second post in this thread.

Don't get your hopes up darling, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not explaining for a third time why both those marques won't be able to face off against each other in the virtual world.

Last edited:
Now, I can't say I've seen much of that one myself, but looking at the car list seems to show the RT 12R and the 991 GT2, as well as the 918 and the CTR3 in the same classes

Refer to my second post in this thread.

Don't get your hopes up darling, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not explaining for a third time why both those marques won't be able to face off against each other in the virtual world.

Do you have a miniature Kazunori Yamauchi in your pocket or something?

Call me mad, but isn't the background here equally important? That looks to me like the Goodwood Hillclimb, which we don't have in game yet and last had in GT6.

Call me mad, but isn't the background here equally important? That looks to me like the Goodwood Hillclimb, which we don't have in game yet and last had in GT6.
What background? The one in the header image? That's a real photograph of the real CTR3 at the real Goodwood Festival of Speed... in 2008.

I can't make out the background in the tiny photo thumbnails the vehicle artist is working on.

Back