Sony Confirms Second GT Sport Beta Phase (UPDATE: All Second Beta Mentions Removed From PS Blog)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to be very confident to show your cards just before the release date. Or they are crazy or they have a very solid game in their hands with a lot of news wonders inside. I bet on the second option.
They do seem to be confident in their product. It's being shown quite a bit now, with good reports from the PlayStation Germany event today. Tokyo Game Show will top it off, that's where anything new like weather or DLC plans will be shown and detailed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a beta when the product is a month and a bit out from release.

I mean, the Overwatch open beta ended 15 days before the game released.

Also we need to remember that the beta start date for Overwatch was deliberately timed to take the wind out of the sails of Battleborn, which released the same day, and was seen at the time as a competitor. It certainly helped in some way to bury the Gearbox title.

Seems that GT may well be trying something similar to bury PCars, which is their only real competitor on the platform.

Interesting strategy.

Also we need to remember that the beta start date for Overwatch was deliberately timed to take the wind out of the sails of Battleborn, which released the same day, and was seen at the time as a competitor. It certainly helped in some way to bury the Gearbox title.

Seems that GT may well be trying something similar to bury PCars, which is their only real competitor on the platform.

Interesting strategy.

I hope you will have beta :D !

Interesting strategy.

Well, of course it's going to bury PCARS 2, based on sales alone.

General reception? That's going to be the more interesting tale, and one that's going to be a lot closer or a lot farther then people here expect, more so the other way.

Well, of course it's going to bury PCARS 2, based on sales alone.

General reception? That's going to be the more interesting tale, and one that's going to be a lot closer or a lot farther then people here expect, more so the other way.

People liked Battleborn too, if I remember correctly. But it was still buried. And which title is a popular e-sport now?

They seem to be trying to do a similar thing here, no?

Very interesting this is happening around the same time Pcars 2 is debuting......
I don't think it's coincidence that the beta 2 is going to release around the time other racing games are. Imo, if this was planned, it's pretty smart or pretty stupid depending on how well it plays and feels vs the competition. If it's something that you like and want to get more of, it may hold off people's purchase of another PS4 racer, or convince them that GT should be added to their roster. Or it could turn them off and they might just say forget it and go with PCars?

People liked Battleborn too, if I remember correctly. But it was still buried. And which title is a popular e-sport now?

They seem to be trying to do a similar thing here, no?

That's Overwatch though, it has the hype machine of Blizzard behind it.

You also have to realize that there's no such thing as a guaranteed success with e-sports in terms of racing games. Looking at the Forza Racing Championship, PCARS ESL offering, hell even the stuff iRacing does, nobody gives a ****, even if racing in e-sports is a natural fit.

I also certainly don't believe, with PD's glacial pace of work and the FIA's greenhorn nature in dealing with the different beast that is e-sports, is going to work out as well as Valve does with The International for DOTA, or what Blizzard does for Overwatch.

And besides, my point wasn't about e-sports. My point is that obviously, due to the built in name and reputation the series has, GT will probably win the sales war. But what is going to happen to critical reception from media outlets and general players, both hardcore sim racing fanatics, and the casual one who probably only buy Forza/GT once in a blue moon?

That's going to be the true litmus test for GT Sport moving forward. The sim racing industry has changed a ton since 2013. If Polyphony believes that smaller experiences like iRacing and e-sports are going to be the future of the sim genre, so be it. But looking at it from the perspective of a jilted GT fan who has been burned by two lackluster experiences from history, it seems misguided.

Considering the second beta was originally earmarked for August, I don't think the proximity to other games' actual releases can be chalked up to a (solely) intentional move so much as a necessary one. It's impossible to avoid at this point:
  • WRC 7: September 15/26
  • PCARS2: September 22
  • FM7: September 29/October 3
Unless it were to launch a week before the full game itself, the beta has to launch in the same week as another franchise.

Considering the second beta was originally earmarked for August, I don't think the proximity to other games' actual releases can be chalked up to a (solely) intentional move so much as a necessary one. It's impossible to avoid at this point:
Unless it were to launch a week before the full game itself, the beta has to launch in the same week as another franchise.

Exactly. Though since people are already chalking it up as intentional, Sony and PD can probably run with it if they want to revive Arrogant Sony.

That's why I said "if this was planned". You never know. Sony does things at times you're not sure the exact reason of it. Whether it be questionable timing or decisions on ps+ they make some out of the blue moves.

Perhaps an unintentional consequence gleefully accepted? PD did wait to announce the release date until after all the rest, no?

I think perhaps someone knows what they're doing at Sony/PD, but my point was merely conjecture, I have no proof, obviously.

That's Overwatch though, it has the hype machine of Blizzard behind it.

You also have to realize that there's no such thing as a guaranteed success with e-sports in terms of racing games. Looking at the Forza Racing Championship, PCARS ESL offering, hell even the stuff iRacing does, nobody gives a ****, even if racing in e-sports is a natural fit.

I also certainly don't believe, with PD's glacial pace of work and the FIA's greenhorn nature in dealing with the different beast that is e-sports, is going to work out as well as Valve does with The International for DOTA, or what Blizzard does for Overwatch.

And besides, my point wasn't about e-sports. My point is that obviously, due to the built in name and reputation the series has, GT will probably win the sales war. But what is going to happen to critical reception from media outlets and general players, both hardcore sim racing fanatics, and the casual one who probably only buy Forza/GT once in a blue moon?

That's going to be the true litmus test for GT Sport moving forward. The sim racing industry has changed a ton since 2013. If Polyphony believes that smaller experiences like iRacing and e-sports are going to be the future of the sim genre, so be it. But looking at it from the perspective of a jilted GT fan who has been burned by two lackluster experiences from history, it seems misguided.

With regards to e-sports, surely burying a competing title offering (roughly) the same e-sports component is a good idea? The examples you use are correct of course, but this is a new industry, and someone has to start somewhere. I see this becoming very big soon, but you may disagree.

Perhaps an unintentional consequence gleefully accepted? PD did wait to announce the release date until after all the rest, no?
Yeah, they waited a full year, just for that :P :lol:

Uh, hence the word 'unintentional'...
Which means what, for my response? Either way, I specifically meant to quote just the second question, and have a joke with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back