Sony Confirms Second GT Sport Beta Phase (UPDATE: All Second Beta Mentions Removed From PS Blog)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of online games like that, that have a direct focus, are vastly, vastly outnumbered by games that don't. It's rather the other way around, in my opinion; They're still in an era of games that are either both or have a larger offline focus.
I somewhat agree about games in general but thing is it's the most popular games that are online focused. Seems GT Sport is aimed at joining that group of hugely popular games that actually have growing user bases.

They better not make it always online. Sometimes I have to manage when to install big updates. My xp not getting increased online would be awful.
It's going to be very heavily online focused but not quite always online. XP might be one of the online things though as they want the server to manage it so it is harder for people to cheat.
Sounds like you might be one of the people that ends up disappointed with the direction on GT Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be very heavily online focused but not quite always online. XP might be one of the online things though as they want the server to manage it so it is harder for people to cheat.
Sounds like you might be one of the people that ends up disappointed with the direction on GT Sport

Don't think they'd go that far as to limit progress entirely.

Boo! :(

I was really excited when I read this story yesterday, but it seems like some regional Sony marketing people pasted some wrong information. Maybe they had prepared those texts including information about a 2nd beta in advance long ago, before this milestone was dropped.

Or, optimistically, there really will be a 2nd beta, but Sony wants to keep it a surpise and the information was released too early by some regional blogs. Fingers crossed.

Boo! :(

I was really excited when I read this story yesterday, but it seems like some regional Sony marketing people pasted some wrong information. Maybe they had prepared those texts including information about a 2nd beta in advance long ago, before this milestone was dropped.

Or, optimistically, there really will be a 2nd beta, but Sony wants to keep it a surpise and the information was released too early by some regional blogs. Fingers crossed.

Guess it leaked too early, just like the inclusion of Interlagos few months ago. Or they will announce it at TGS.

Don't think they'd go that far as to limit progress entirely.
I think they might be.

"2. Keeping things fair – staying connected
This year’s Gran Turismo includes a world first – the only video game with an online Championship endorsed by the world’s motoring governing body, the FIA. As a competition endorsed by the same organisation that oversees some of the biggest races in the world online competition has been endorsed by FIA rules supremo Charlie Whiting, and we’re taking racing integrity very seriously for the FIA GT Championship.

In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times.

This doesn’t mean you’ll need PlayStation Plus though. As with all PlayStation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for the online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline."
Source: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...t-gran-turismo-sport-before-you-start-racing/

I think they might be.

"2. Keeping things fair – staying connected
This year’s Gran Turismo includes a world first – the only video game with an online Championship endorsed by the world’s motoring governing body, the FIA. As a competition endorsed by the same organisation that oversees some of the biggest races in the world online competition has been endorsed by FIA rules supremo Charlie Whiting, and we’re taking racing integrity very seriously for the FIA GT Championship.

In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times.

This doesn’t mean you’ll need PlayStation Plus though. As with all PlayStation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for the online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline."
Source: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...t-gran-turismo-sport-before-you-start-racing/

The punctuation could be clearer on that last paragraph eh? Was following one clause, then realised I was on another.

The punctuation could be clearer on that last paragraph eh? Was following one clause, then realised I was on another.
As a statement its a mess, and doesn't clear things up at all.

I have no idea for example what they mean by limited two-player split screen or races on selected tracks. It seems to suggest that not being on-line or at least not having PS+ could limit content, but that would be inane.

Oooh, I didn't even have a PS4 when the first beta phase was open.

Fingers crossed, I hope I get to experience this one. Think it'll help my chances of getting in if I already have it on pre-order?

Yup, first time I read I thought: They made "online multiplayer"-able split-screen? Couch team battles!

K7Zc_t.gif

But the original US version had it straight.

As a statement its a mess, and doesn't clear things up at all.

I have no idea for example what they mean by limited two-player split screen or races on selected tracks. It seems to suggest that not being on-line or at least not having PS+ could limit content, but that would be insane.

Yeah agreed, what a mess. That intern needs to be let go :)

...would you still buy the new GT even if almost everything that you like will be missing ? (Grand Valley, Trial Mountain... / JDM, tuner cars, classics, cheap cars... customisation / career mode, endurance races)

Respect man, but I think you're just projecting your own personal needs onto this one. I'm a GT fan but I do not think like you. Also not all fans are these ageing traditionalists. New fans are possible you know :)

Times change.

Because players without an internet connection shouldn't have to put up with the shoddy crap developers put out instead of properly finished games. That's why.

I mean, yeah, certainly we're all annoyed by that crap, but you're just pissing in the wind complaining about that one these days mate.

With regards to GT, it seems they took an extra year to avoid precisely this issue, no? Didn't Kaz suggest that?

“Want to get a chance to experience what we’re talking about before launch? We’re going to be launching a new phase of the beta in the coming weeks, so keep an eye on PlayStation Blog for details on how you’ll be able to participate.”

^^ I have read that phrase before but can't remember what blog/post when the last beta was out. When they were talking about introducing Japan/UK in to the Beta. I would say it was a 'typo' and was put in the blog in error. We shall see, August has passed and no 2nd Beta..Something will happen before release. Maybe a short Demo as others have said. If it is a late Beta will it be Open? or Codes sent again?

Great times with all these racing games :D. In a few weeks I won't know what track, car, console or game to go to! :gtpflag:

I somewhat agree about games in general but thing is it's the most popular games that are online focused. Seems GT Sport is aimed at joining that group of hugely popular games that actually have growing user bases.
For every popular online specific title you have multiple popular titles that dont have the same focus. They are popular, they aren't the most popular.
It's going to be very heavily online focused but not quite always online
It's already been said that the majority of it will need an online connection, even for parts of arcade mode and two player split screen.

They removed these quotes and some say it was leaked or anything.

Don't be afraid if you see another post saying: "GT SPORT DELAY FOR 2018. SECOND BETA COMES AT OCTOBER."

You do know they could choose any date from 21st September to 21st December for a release. They chose mid-October because they were sure it'll be ready by then. They are now only polishing the game so please stop with the delaying trolling.

The GT site is under maintenance I think. Could be news shortly.
It's up again.

New launch trailer but then you find out it's the old one from Mid July? Is this serious? That looks really cheap. It suddenly stops and mentions the launch date. that's it?!

Yep there will be no other Beta, the site says all comments and the blog of it has been removed. Or something like that I undertsand.

It was too good to be true

That article is very vague and does not reference any sources. I think we will have to wait for TGS to find out whether or not there will be another beta.

One thing I noticed about the beta was how few people seemed to use the beta forums - I don't know what the final tally for invites was, but the initial invitation was only given out to 1,000 players. Last I checked there was just over 1,000 bug reports submitted, but rarely would any one report get much more than 10 upvotes - in fact, I'm not sure if I saw any report getting over 20. I hope people remember that one of the main purposes of a beta is to crowd-source bug testing and find ways to improve online algorithms (i.e. netcode and matching), and that input on the bug forums PD provide could provide a very major impact on the game.

One thing I noticed about the beta was how few people seemed to use the beta forums - I don't know what the final tally for invites was, but the initial invitation was only given out to 1,000 players. Last I checked there was just over 1,000 bug reports submitted, but rarely would any one report get much more than 10 upvotes - in fact, I'm not sure if I saw any report getting over 20. I hope people remember that one of the main purposes of a beta is to crowd-source bug testing and find ways to improve online algorithms (i.e. netcode and matching), and that input on the bug forums PD provide could provide a very major impact on the game.
I agree with that. When I first got on the forums I was wondering if I was in the right place because it was so quiet

It wasn't the only beta forum (in the EU at least), as the Sony beta team had a separate forum for bug logging, that was reasonably active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back