Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

It's the same when they show ads about TV's on TV, and the picture you see on the TV screen in the ad is so much better than the picture on your TV screen... although you see that screen on your own screen, so how could it possible be any better than your own TV?

I always think the same thing when I see a TV ad on my TV, I tried explaining it to a friend and for some reason he couldn't grasp this simple concept.

I assume you never had experienced VR (Oculus Rift/Vive/Sony) with the dev kits version Otherwise, you wouldn't ask the question. It's different experience and can't compare to a conventional TV.

I think you misunderstood it, what I meant was that it's odd that a screen that you see on a screen can appear to be so much better than the screen you're seeing the screen on. I mean, my monitor doesn't become a VR kit just because I'm watching a VR ad, and yet the VR footage I see appear so much better than what my monitor can deliver. Even though I'm actually watching it on my monitor.

Edit: In a way it's similar to when you're reading translated literature from another language. Say that you're reading ancient Greek poetry in English. In the preface the editor talks about how colourful the ancient Greek language is and that it's impossible to translate it all to English without losing some of the beauty of it. And then when you read the poetry you totally get the editor's point, the ancient Greek does appear so much more colourful and expressive than the English language - even though you're actually reading it in English! You see what I'm getting at? You're told to have an experience, and then you have it because your imagination fill in the gaps and complete the experience for you. A bit like hypnosis I guess.

Last edited:
It's also like seeing adverts for Sky HD on a non-HD channel - they deliberately use computer graphics and imagery that looks really impressive even though it is not being shown on an HD channel, hoping people will go 'Oh wow, look at that! I really must get Sky HD'.

I am still not sold on a PS4 but the VR system is an inevitable next step in console evolution, and I assume that they will be commonplace in just a few years. Given that I have some issues with dizziness, I somehow doubt that the VR thing will be my cup of tea, but the possibilities are intriguing.

It's funny the way the power of imagination works when it comes to the advertisment of equipment like this. I mean, you see the footage on your normal, flat screen, but because you know it's VR footage it seems so much more immersive. It's the same when they show ads about TV's on TV, and the picture you see on the TV screen in the ad is so much better than the picture on your TV screen... although you see that screen on your own screen, so how could it possible be any better than your own TV?

It's a bit like hypnosis: "Now you see this whale in real life size", and when you know that, that is what you see, and it's so awesome. Even if it's still on your tiny computer screen, and you're not wearing any VR goggles...

I totally get what you're saying Eran.

You're told to have an experience, and then you have it because your imagination fill in the gaps and complete the experience for you. A bit like hypnosis I guess.
It's all about the immersion. Being able to look around you, and be "in" the game.

@Soulfresh_ACV some good images/trailers from GDC here
Price seems spot on but likely E3 before we hear of any AAA titles.

One feature that surprised me a little was not that it will also offer a "Cinema" type experience for videos and also support 360 photos. Interestingly you can play standard games viewed within such an experience of a massive screen/cinema.

I think you misunderstood it, what I meant was that it's odd that a screen that you see on a screen can appear to be so much better than the screen you're seeing the screen on. I mean, my monitor doesn't become a VR kit just because I'm watching a VR ad, and yet the VR footage I see appear so much better than what my monitor can deliver. Even though I'm actually watching it on my monitor.
It's all about the immersion. Being able to look around you, and be "in" the game.

Indeed, but it's funny how you can get that feeling when watching VR footage on a normal screen, just because you know that it's VR.

As much as I would love to buy one, $399 is just too much for something I'll only use a few hours every week (I can barely justify buying the console itself and even then I'm waiting until GT Sport).

Might look to try a demo version in a retail store to see what the fuss is about, but without proper killer AAA games and not 50 squintillion indie titles, it's looking like another pointless, expensive gimmick.

Im all for it.
Gonna be insane playing with it. However its gonna kill off my HUD screens and put me at massive risk of being sabotaged by my wife while i play lol

Should have my rift coming in May and have pre-ordered the PlayStation VR. Having owened a rift DK2 I know exactly how fantastic the experience is similar can't way to see what the consumer versions bring.

Should have my rift coming in May and have pre-ordered the PlayStation VR. Having owened a rift DK2 I know exactly how fantastic the experience is similar can't way to see what the consumer versions bring.

You're getting both? :eek:

Jealous

God if they allowed this, then surely they would absolutely kill the other two...

But I can't see it - for one, the breakout box is such a PS4 specific bit of kit.

Give it a couple of weeks after release and I'm sure someone has managed to get it working on a PC.

Tested has done a close to 30 minute video on the PS VR. According to the Sony guy the little box is pretty much just a splitter to provide a TV image in addition to the VR headset. It pretty much scales 120/90hz signals back to 60.

They also go over what the true costs are with the Sony VR setup. If you're starting fresh with no system, you'd probably spend around $850 on hardware alone (assuming you buy new).

Even then, with the PC side of things you pay almost that amount on the VR stuff alone, not including the cost of a gaming PC to run everything. So even at $400 this is still a great deal. 👍

They also go over what the true costs are with the Sony VR setup. If you're starting fresh with no system, you'd probably spend around $850 on hardware alone (assuming you buy new).

Even then, with the PC side of things you pay almost that amount on the VR stuff alone, not including the cost of a gaming PC to run everything. So even at $400 this is still a great deal. 👍

I could see Sony doing some sort of complete bundle for around $80-100 off the individually bought total price just to give it some traction at launch. They have done similar things in the past like when PlayStation Move launched. I would love to see this paired with a new SKU which may also be like $50 cheaper.

Add drivers to support PC and everyone else might as well shut up their VR operations! On a side note Microsoft took their HoloLens WAY too high end to make it viable for Xbox.... $3000 :lol:

Those talking about PC support I am not so confident and very much doubt it is in Sonys interest to make it easily possible. With the proprietary connections of the processing unit plus that it is required to connect the headset. This then works in conjunction with the PS4 looking that it also has USB connection not just HDMI video processing. Also to factor is the Playstation camera so technically it likely is blocked and might not be easily possible. Add to this potential in some form of verification from PS4 to enable it to work and without major hacking I think rather doubt-full for PC.

Sony and others will deliver some great games for this if not just at launch in time. If your after PC VR experiences, then consider the PC options. If wanting a good VR experience then it is possible the PS4 could have some of the most varied titles and superb exclusives for VR.

They could sell more than the PC alternatives and this would give game publishers plenty of reason to support the PS4 platform for increased game sales compared to the PC market. You only have to look at how PC simulation games are coming to consoles as an attractive option for such developers.

Last edited:
PRE-ORDER NEWS

PlayStation VR launch bundle (USD$499) - Available for Pre-order on Amazon from Tuesday March 22 at 7:00 AM PST

Includes: PlayStation VR device, PlayStation Camera, 2x PlayStation Move controllers and PlayStation VR Worlds game.
Amazon Note: The PlayStation VR launch bundle will be available for pre-order starting Tuesday March 22, at 7:00 AM PST. Due to limited quantities, purchases will be limited to 1 per customer, and 1-Click Ordering will be disabled for this item. Please make sure you've updated your credit card and shipping information to help you move quickly through the checkout process.

Last edited:
^And there it is! :lol: a bundle!

Now box that up with a PS4 please...

EDIT... I just noticed something, if you use two move Motion controllers and not a Navigation controller how are you going to move around?

Basically is this now redundant?

ps.move.navigation.control-530px.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bite and pick one up if two three things happen.

1. I actually like it after trying. If my poor eyesight can cope with the VR experience and not drive me to massive headaches.

2. GT Sport (what ever the next GT game is called) is good to play and not a huge waste of time and false promises.

3. Project Cars gets PSVR support on the PlayStation version.

I wonder if they will do a Glacier White version (so the breakout box matches your console).

It would have been good if they had integrated the power brick into the box, doesn't make sense seeing that it's so small.

It would have been good if they had integrated the power brick into the box, doesn't make sense seeing that it's so small.

Integrating the power brick means a bulky device that will require extra cooling parts which means unnecessary cost. The current design tells that the box will generate substantial amount of heat already with a fan at the back.

Has their been any confirmation on the screen this uses, is it a Sony component or possible Samsung? Some of Sonys actual phone screens only moved beyond 1080p resolution in the last year or so but where not this size/resolution. So if not from another vendor is this a special new component? The reason I ask is wondering if the screen quality while less pixels might be better than the "Galaxy Note 3" (2 year old phone) screen Oculus supposedly uses.

*edit: (later discovered the Note 3 display was used in DK2 , consumer version is better)

Also looking at the Samsung Gear it also uses higher resolution but of course with the latest S7 and upcoming Note 6 the actual screens are also improved over that of the Note 3. I would like to understand this more regards the screens and optics if anyone can help or link tech regards such.

Personally I have concern with the black lines mentioned regards pixels spoiling the enjoyment or is this less evident on the Sony VR now using RGB subpixels? Makes me think back to the annoying screen-door effect on old 720p projectors.

Also is it likely Sony are using within the break-away box technology similar to their own TVs regards adding frames from the 45-90 or 60-120?

Last edited:
Integrating the power brick means a bulky device that will require extra cooling parts which means unnecessary cost. The current design tells that the box will generate substantial amount of heat already with a fan at the back.

It looks like a small laptop power brick to me which shouldn't add all that much heat. It would have made the box only a little bit longer. I doubt additional cooling would have been needed, the area where the brick sat would just need to be vented, not actively cooled. It would have just been a little neater, just like how the PSU has always been inside every Playstation.

It looks like a small laptop power brick to me which shouldn't add all that much heat. It would have made the box only a little bit longer. I doubt additional cooling would have been needed, the area where the brick sat would just need to be vented, not actively cooled. It would have just been a little neater, just like how the PSU has always been inside every Playstation.

Found some answers in video below (also to some of my own questions).
The breakout box adapts the output for the headset and the pass through for the PS4, it also contains the processing for the new 3D positional audio.

Also the previously linked Eurogamer info contained reasons for the fan.
It states the PS4 has no problems with 120Hz and the console still does all the GPU rendering.

It carries out object-based 3D audio processing ("really good and important to VR").
  • it displays the social screen - undistorting the VR output for display on TV. Quality is lost in this process, so it scales the image up and crops it so you don't see edges. *(we know now it is 720p)
  • "Separate mode" - a completely separate audio and video stream you can send over to TV, as opposed to the mirrored social screen. It's sent compressed to the PU and then uncompressed by the device and sent to the screen. We're told that this was "an innovation that came quite late" in the development of the system.
  • It displays PS4's system software interface in cinematic mode, handling the display of traditional 2D content.

Last edited:
Back