Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

Has their been any confirmation on the screen this uses, is it a Sony component or possible Samsung? Some of Sonys actual phone screens only moved beyond 1080p resolution in the last year or so but where not this size/resolution. So if not from another vendor is this a special new component? The reason I ask is wondering if the screen quality while less pixels might be better than the "Galaxy Note 3" (2 year old phone) screen Oculus supposedly uses.

*edit: (later discovered the Note 3 display was used in DK2 , consumer version is better)

Also looking at the Samsung Gear it also uses higher resolution but of course with the latest S7 and upcoming Note 6 the actual screens are also improved over that of the Note 3. I would like to understand this more regards the screens and optics if anyone can help or link tech regards such.

Personally I have concern with the black lines mentioned regards pixels spoiling the enjoyment or is this less evident on the Sony VR now using RGB subpixels? Makes me think back to the annoying screen-door effect on old 720p projectors.

Also is it likely Sony are using within the break-away box technology similar to their own TVs regards adding frames from the 45-90 or 60-120?
Nope, we still dont know.

Sony ceased production of OLED displays fairly recently, so it's quite possible this is coming from elsewhere. Then again, that was talked about in reference to TV OLED panels, so a mobile-size display like this might have been something they could justify, especially since they only needed to do ONE panel of the same size and spec, decreasing manufacturing complexity(and thus costs) greatly.

I dont think it'd be Samsung, as they are only making pentile OLED's from what we know. I'm quite sure Oculus and HTC would have wanted RGB OLED's from Samsung if Samsung was capable of making them.

In terms of quality and 'black lines'(screen door effect or SDE for short), the panel itself should be quite comparable to the Rift and Vive's in terms of general sharpness. SDE is a combination of resolution, FoV, pixel fill and optics. By most accounts, the PSVR has a very minimal SDE and is much better than the DK2 and GearVR in this regard and again, comparable with the consumer Rift and Vive. I imagine high pixel fill using the made-for-VR display along with Sony's expertise in optics has helped them a lot here.

And no, the breakout box does not do the reprojection. This is all done on the PS4 directly. Nor is reprojection the same thing as motion interpolation that you find on TV's. It's a similar concept at a high level, but the details of what it is doing and why is different.

Lastly, I dont think 45fps->90fps is going to be a thing. I know Tested made mention of it, but Sony hasn't ever, at any point in all their talks and presentations for it. 60fps seems to be the strict minimum. I think Tested were simply mistaken. So you'll have either 60fps->120fps, native 90fps or native 120fps. Reprojection will technically still occur even at native 90fps and 120fps for latency reduction, though.

I wonder how will it work for people that wear glasses. I can imagine that if the screen is close to your eyes, you don't need glasses to see, right?

Thanks for taking the time and explaining @Seanspeed.

I think you nailed it regards Sonys experience in this field and also with optics.

Getting more excited for this, Sony have great franchises plus while I think some of the 50 games will get delayed and not make it before 2017 they will have lots of variety. Exclusives like Starwars and hopefully we at least get an announcement for GT Sport come E3. I think those big franchises will sell more units than the indie or original content coming.

Kinda interested in the "Movie Theatre" possibilities, even considered the "Gear VR" for that but curious if Sony manage to add a beautifully modelled IMAX experience or that of some huge real world famous cinema as part of this.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Really. Where did you read that?
Damn cant remember, I will search for it

edit

www.psu.com/news/29611/Sony-will-likely-reject-PS-VR-games-that-slip-below-60fps

Sony is likely to reject any PlayStation VR titles that fall below the golden 60fps target, Chris Norden, Senior Development Support Engineer for Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), has revealed.

Speaking at GDC this week in wake of the price and release date announcement for the virtual reality headset, Nordon didn’t beat around the bush when stressing the importance of frame rate in regards PS VR.

Frame rate is really important; you cannot drop below 60 frames per second, ever,” explained Nordon. “If you submit a game to us and it drops to 55, or 51…we’re probably going to reject it. I know I’m going to get flak for this, but there’s no excuse for not hitting frame rate.”

It’s really hard, and I’m not going to lie to and say it’s extremely easy…it’s really difficult,” he said, before revealing, “60hz is the minimum acceptable framerate. Everybody drill that into your heads.”

I see a lot of media misreporting what that little black box does, and it’s driving me crazy,” he added, speaking in light of erroneous press reports of the device’s breakout box.

Last edited:
Damn cant remember, I will search for it

edit

www.psu.com/news/29611/Sony-will-likely-reject-PS-VR-games-that-slip-below-60fps

Sony is likely to reject any PlayStation VR titles that fall below the golden 60fps target, Chris Norden, Senior Development Support Engineer for Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), has revealed.

Speaking at GDC this week in wake of the price and release date announcement for the virtual reality headset, Nordon didn’t beat around the bush when stressing the importance of frame rate in regards PS VR.

Frame rate is really important; you cannot drop below 60 frames per second, ever,” explained Nordon. “If you submit a game to us and it drops to 55, or 51…we’re probably going to reject it. I know I’m going to get flak for this, but there’s no excuse for not hitting frame rate.”

It’s really hard, and I’m not going to lie to and say it’s extremely easy…it’s really difficult,” he said, before revealing, “60hz is the minimum acceptable framerate. Everybody drill that into your heads.”

I see a lot of media misreporting what that little black box does, and it’s driving me crazy,” he added, speaking in light of erroneous press reports of the device’s breakout box.

Thanks. It's nice and I personally would agree even if they enforced minimum framerate requirements to ensure the VR Experience on their platform gives consumers the best possible VR experience. That way they will safe guard their IP.

1. I actually like it after trying. If my poor eyesight can cope with the VR experience and not drive me to massive headaches.

According to Sony, the headset is designed to allow the use of glasses whilst wearing the PS VR.

3. Project Cars gets PSVR support on the PlayStation version.

SMS is on Sony's list of game developers currently involved with PS VR. I expect we'll see a patch including VR support sometime around the launch of the PS VR.

According to Sony, the headset is designed to allow the use of glasses whilst wearing the PS VR.

SMS is on Sony's list of game developers currently involved with PS VR. I expect we'll see a patch including VR support sometime around the launch of the PS VR.

I'm not too fussed about glasses. While I wear a pair for watching TV or should wear them out and about. My left eye is fine apart from fine details at a distance, my right eye however is pretty much gone due to a genetic abnormality preventing the development of my optic nerve. This has left my vision in said eye horrid and murky; it basically looks like someone has smeared grease over my eye.

So while I can see, my 3D vision is none existent.

Great new on possibility of PCars support.

I'm not too fussed about glasses. While I wear a pair for watching TV or should wear them out and about. My left eye is fine apart from fine details at a distance, my right eye however is pretty much gone due to a genetic abnormality preventing the development of my optic nerve. This has left my vision in said eye horrid and murky; it basically looks like someone has smeared grease over my eye.

I feel bad for you brother.

I wonder if glasses would only be an issue for farsightedness. If the screen is like an inch away from your eye, I wonder if it would even be an issue for people that are nearsighted.

I wonder if glasses would only be an issue for farsightedness. If the screen is like an inch away from your eye, I wonder if it would even be an issue for people that are nearsighted.
I wonder about this too. Up close I am fine without my glasses, so I assume I can skip wearing them with VR.

My friend has the same problem, i also wear glasses so im interested in this issue, im short sighted although after 30 years my optician decides to tell me im long sighted so i have no idea what i am

My friend has the same problem, i also wear glasses so im interested in this issue, im short sighted although after 30 years my optician decides to tell me im long sighted so i have no idea what i am

Ha, sounds like the opticians don't know either.

After 20+ years of going to get my eyes checks the last guy I saw basically told me to not bother paying to make my right eye see, as it never will.

I just hope I can use one of the new VR sets as it takes racing to the next level.

Ha, sounds like the opticians don't know either.

After 20+ years of going to get my eyes checks the last guy I saw basically told me to not bother paying to make my right eye see, as it never will.

I just hope I can use one of the new VR sets as it takes racing to the next level.
Curious to know, Have you looked into seeing if its something eye laser surgery could fix?

You can be both. That's why they have progressives and bi-focals.

Curious to know, Have you looked into seeing if its something eye laser surgery could fix?

Unfortunately it isn't something which can be fixed. It's a genetic defect and the optic nerve never developed correctly.

My retina and eye in general is in perfect condition just not the nerve.

From what I've seen of the VR stuff the headsets use lenses to view the screen? If so then I might be ok and just adapt like I do in real life, if I need to see something which is out of my visible range I just turn my head, with head tracking this should be fine for racing.

Games like FPS I'm not sure, I don't want to turn my head and find the direction I was running suddenly changes as that isn't what happens in real life.

I'll just have to try it out and see how I get on. I really want it to work.

I have been using an Oculus Rift with iRacing on the PC for the last couple of years.

How you see in a VR headset is how you see in real life. I have a weak left eye, so dodgy 3D vision and more blurry to the left hand side. That's how it is in VR as well. So, Sprite, you're fine, you won't be missing any more than you do in real life. I've read of someone who is blind in one eye saying they love the Oculus Rift as it is not just the 3D but the head tracking and handling of parallax that makes it an amazing experience.

As for glasses, the image is focussed in the distance. So, if you're short sighted and need glasses to see at a distance then you'll need glasses with the VR headset as well. If you're long sighted, like me, then you're fine without.

VR is awesome with racing games, it really is. It might be somewhat blurry at the moment, but it's way way better than the triple screens that I used to use.

I have been using an Oculus Rift with iRacing on the PC for the last couple of years.

How you see in a VR headset is how you see in real life. I have a weak left eye, so dodgy 3D vision and more blurry to the left hand side. That's how it is in VR as well. So, Sprite, you're fine, you won't be missing any more than you do in real life. I've read of someone who is blind in one eye saying they love the Oculus Rift as it is not just the 3D but the head tracking and handling of parallax that makes it an amazing experience.

As for glasses, the image is focussed in the distance. So, if you're short sighted and need glasses to see at a distance then you'll need glasses with the VR headset as well. If you're long sighted, like me, then you're fine without.

VR is awesome with racing games, it really is. It might be somewhat blurry at the moment, but it's way way better than the triple screens that I used to use.
Did you have any dizness issues? How many hour do you use it?Do you have any vision's fatigue after using it for a lung session?
Thanks

Interesting. Can you see the screen pixels?

Don't see it happening as becoming a windows supported product for game developers to compete against the products that are for the PC platform. Although I do see potential for April fools type stories to be found especially by magazines and news publications at this time of year. :)

Time well tell...

Date is 28 march and had it been april fool it would been confirmed.

Tbh I think that move could work splendidly. If you buy a 500 euro PSVR which certainly is some investment would you think the consumer would think it would be a big step to get a PS 4.5? There is the rumours about a new updated PS 4 coming as well for 4K Bluray support and more grunt for PSVR I would imagine.

Even if not Sony get money out of the PC Gamers as well which otherwise would buy a Rift or Vive. They will unlikely go MS and release Uncharted and all on windows store though but PSVR on windows make perfect sense unless Microsoft will hack their op to not support it somehow lol. I do hope hamper competition that way is deemed illegal.

Star Wars VR X-Wing game looks like it was teased in this video.... It's been ages since the Starfighter series of games.

upload_2016-6-13_1-50-19.png

Playstation VR launch lineup

With affordable pricing, titles lined up for launch and existing PS 4 owners, Playstation VR will definitely succeed in the consumer market where HTC Vive and Oculus Rift are unlikely to.

Personally I still don't see anything (yet) that makes me go, WOW must get one.
That is not to say the experience it brings may not be enjoyable or any of the launch titles poor.

Concerningly:
No GT VR shown / No F1 2016 VR shown / No Assetto Corsa VR shown
So for racing fans this is rather poor especially given how ideal VR is with racing games.

Personally I still don't see anything (yet) that makes me go, WOW must get one.
That is not to say the experience it brings may not be enjoyable or any of the launch titles poor.

Concerningly:
No GT VR shown / No F1 2016 VR shown / No Assetto Corsa VR shown
So for racing fans this is rather poor especially given how ideal VR is with racing games.
Completely agree on all counts in relation to racing. I suspect GT Sport with PSVR will only be demonstrated with PS 4.5 Neo. Otherwise, if they demo on the current PS4, the experience will definitely more likely turn most people off as it's not powerful enough.

PlayStation-VR-boxes-638x425.jpg

Anyone think the packaging looks terrible? I care a lot about the aesthetics of everything and I don't see why we need to have 'Playstation VR' in big letters and also have a 'You'll need these' section at the bottom. People aren't stupid Sony! They could have simplified it so much better.

I wonder if the PS move would start to sell more? since i remember being really unpopular.
---
PlayStation-VR-boxes-638x425.jpg

Anyone think the packaging looks terrible? I care a lot about the aesthetics of everything and I don't see why we need to have 'Playstation VR' in big letters and also have a 'You'll need these' section at the bottom. People aren't stupid Sony! They could have simplified it so much better.
Like this?

playstation_move_sports_champions_3_raw.jpg

Back