Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

I forgot RIGS, which I'm also somewhat interested in. As for Robinson, all I can say is that it has friggin dinosaurs. I get to walk around among actual dinosaurs! I get to be hunted and eaten by Raptors! It's like a dream come true :lol:

So, I finally received my VR Headset.

First impressions. This thing just looks so cool and futuristic. Aesthetically, it is much prettier than the Vive or Oculus.
When I put on the headset, I was initially quite disappointed in the resolution when looking at the standard PS4 menu. You can distinguish between pixels fairly easily, and it made me quite worried about what I had just bought. However, I carried on with testing, starting with Playroom VR first, and omg, VR is amazing. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else says, the experience of entering a virtual world is unparalleled and awe inducing, and it really cannot be imagined without having tried it. The graphics themselves were also quite good, with in-game objects offering more detail that I had anticipated. Sure, things can be blurry at a distance, but the lighting and the actual models can be surprisingly good. Bending forwards when standing in front of an edge and looking down into the abyss is insane. It's a shame that most of the games within Playroom VR is geared towards several players, as I had a lot of fun with the one game I did play.

I then fired up the demo disc that came with the headset, eager to see if I'd experience any discomfort when playing fast paced games. Fortunately, I handle VR perfectly fine. No headaches, and no nausea.

Ocean Descent was my first stop, and it was memorizing. I just stood in my room, looking like a complete moron, with my jaw all the way down to my feet. It was really cool. Next up was Battlezone, and wow. The cockpit of your tank is massive. You really get the feeling that you're sitting in a giant behemoth of a tank, and if I was excited about the prospect of playing AC7 in VR before, then I lack words for describing how excited I am for it now. It's going to be bloody amazing.
I might pick up Battlezone, as it seemed like a lot of fun.

RIGS surprised me with how fluid movement is, and how amazing the draw distance can be in VR. When I got blown up, I got launched into the air, and while I was supposed to pick a new place to spawn, I just couldn't do it. The view was just breathtaking. Definitely going on my list of games that I probably need to buy.

Wayward was another pleasant experience, with nice music, potentially awesome story, and some fun interaction with your environment. When you first boot up the demo of that game, you're position at a desk of sorts with a things around you that you can interact with. I picked up a model airplane, moved it about while making dumb airplane noises (in real life), and then proceeded to see how far I could get it to fly. It flew surprisingly far. I then picked up a radio, inspected it a bit, and then casually tossed it over my shoulders. It's so simple and stupid, but I had a blast doing these things.

The other experiences didn't do a whole lot for me, as they were either too short, or just not my thing. The Demo takes forever to load games, and for some reason, it boots you out to the main menu of the demo disc, rather than letting you replay the demo immediately. Quite frustrating to be honest.

The small in-ear headphones you get are decent at best, so next I'll see if I can comfortably wear my Sony MDR-1's with the VR headset on, as they offer much better sound. Do the 3D sound require specific headsets? (I am aware that the headset needs to connect via Jack)

Conclusion. VR is awesome, and you should get VR now. :lol:
The one significant problem is the resolution. It can be surprisingly difficult to identify anything that is far away, which is rather immersion breaking.

Last edited:
any headphone will do for 3D Aurial sound. Did you also try other demo's like Call of Duty Infinite warfare? To fly that space ship is awesome. Short demo but enjoyable.

Have fun with your PSVR.

any headphone will do for 3D Aurial sound. Did you also try other demo's like Call of Duty Infinite warfare? To fly that space ship is awesome. Short demo but enjoyable.

Have fun with your PSVR.

Out of principle, I no longer touch anything coming from IW, Treyarch or any other company affiliated with CoD.

I had posted this over on the PSN forums, But I'll re-post it here as well..
http://community.us.playstation.com...Headset-Project-Morpheus/m-p/46065542#M688252

Interesting.. I Knew it wouldn't be long before this was possible.

The PSVR can be used as a 2nd Screen on Your PC.
It Uses the Full Screen of the PSVR display.
Using a 3rd Party Motion Sensor, you can Even have Full Head Tracking...
Soon, the VR community will have an Open Source driver that will support tracking of the PSVR's LED's
But for Now, a Small velcro strip to Attach the Wirless Head tracking ( Black Box )

and you've got a Fully Functional PSVR on your PC

video of it in use...

tracker

http://www.edtracker.co.uk/products/pro

And, they claim it's Better ( or just as good ) resolution as the HTC VIVE.
So for $400 ( $450 with the tracker )
It's an inexpensive VR for the PC..

Edit: Watching 3D ( Side by Side ) movies on the PSVR ( on PC )

you will need KODI

https://kodi.tv/download/

Connection Diagram??
Diagram on how to hook up cords : http://i.imgur.com/WNT178M.jpg

I'm glad you like it @Jawehawk 👍 It was very difficult to explain how you see things in such large scale and all around you in PSVR and I didn't want you to buy it and be dissapointed with the experience, so I am pleased you made your decision and also found some games 'amazing' as well.

The resolution, menu text and cinema mode does get clearer over time it is hard to explain, I think you adjust to it! What I found was once focused with the pulling of the screen forward, it was more the very slight adjustment of the up and down movement that fixed any blur for me and you will find you put it on and focus straight away after a while, for driveclub it is trial and error but after weeks of playing there is a sweet spot you find and actually the buildings etc look pretty good up close and the for distance views I just pull the headset forward a bit more than normal and sit closer to the windscreen, and I still can't get over actually being a driver in the game I played from watching it on 2D and seeing the lady driver next to me when a passenger ride in the awesome replays.

You will find normal 2D interior Car view games have no immersion after playing on VR!

If you get a chance to play Batman, this shows off what you can do with objects, his hand detail up close looks sharp as 1080p! you can even see the blood stains on it, as is rotating the Bat Mobiles and characters around looking at the Joker close up is so strange and moving down in the cages and elevators I can't get enough of! :D

Enjoy the ride! :cheers:

I found the VR version of Driveclub to be absolutely dreadful. No sense of speed, combined with lots of pop in, abysmal sound and poor environment textures. sure, it's fun to look around inside the car, but the gameplay, audio and graphics are so far behind the standard game.

I really love the menu for VR World. knocking the spheres around while standing in some ancient Greek or Roman building is so satisfying. The headset and PS4 does a tremendous job with displaying colors and lighting.

Batman was never my type of hero.

Out of principle, I no longer touch anything coming from IW, Treyarch or any other company affiliated with CoD.

haha we also avoid IW but hey we are Dutch so if it is free we loose our principles. The tech demo is free for download and worth a try ;)

Fully agree with @torque99: Batman is a great experience
This week I tried Pinball VR and that is a fun game for 'in between'.

And hopefully (today) we will hear more news about GT Sport also in VR.

Received Battlezone and RIGS today, and have been spending the last 4 and a half hours clearing out the first half of a long campaign map on normal difficulty in Battlezone. This game is surprisingly difficult. if you run out of lives, your campaign is over, and extra lives don't come cheap. I've been insanely close to dying completely.

Anyone have either of those games? Would love to play with some of ya sometime.

Thanks for the heads up @Tired Tyres I will probably pick the original game up at some point it looks a good shooter in VR.👍

A great little 'god' game/free demo available, made by some of the guys from ex EVO studios (DC) Secret Sorcery
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...game-tethered-for-free-with-new-demo-out-now/

Don't forget if you have Rise of the Tomb raider you can play the Blood ties VR section in the manor, what I like on this is it is the first game I have played with the ability to 'free walk' feels strange at first but good to be wizzing around with controller and not 'teleporting' (after 5mins play it lets you).👍

Trinus PSVR lets you connect your Playstation VR headset to your Windows PC to access a large library of games.

Maybe the PSVR headset is the best entry-level for seated VR experience on the PC afterall? Mind you this software is not official and as it's mentioned on it's website, updates to the device by Sony may stop it from working and also the screen resolution is not the best.

Perhaps someone who owns the device can give us some insights or comparison headtracking method as posted by @WyldAnimal here

Tom's hardware article

Last edited:
Yeah I tried this recently as I don't like the camera on all the time looking down at me so I move it to the back of the tv when not in use. I only put the camera on if necessary for games to track.

I sometimes lay on my sofa with out the camera set up and watch a dvd/film or youtube etc, it sometimes moves position, but you can still reset the position with the 'options' button. Camera is mainly for tracking and overall it does work best with a camera of course.👍

Edit: I need to clarify if it still lets you use VR without it plugged in or if I take it out completely etc Are you thinking of buying VR without a camera then @jp_footy?

Last edited:
@jp_footy The camera is required for the initial setup of the psvr, or at least it was when it first came out. I bought the non kit bundle thinking I could just use it in cinematic mode but it wouldn't work until I went through the setup so that required me to buy the camera. I can currently unplug the camera and still use the headset in cinematic mode.

The new update 4.50 will allow 3D Bluray playback via the PSVR.

TechCrunch
The update also adds support for 3D Blu-ray discs to PlayStation VR, letting you see 3D in full stereoscopic glory when you’re watching your movies using your headset.

While this won't work for me, it's a nice feature for others.

Thanks @torque99 and @casey_2005

Yeah, I was considering buying the ps vr without a camera to use as a monitor for my non-vr ps4 games, pc and phone.

If you need a camera to even just setup the cinematic mode I think I'll wait until a VR game I want to play comes out. It could be one that gets talked a lot about on this site. :P

I've used the PSVR with my PS3 and GT6, at that point it was not plugged into the PS4 at all! and thus does not rely on the camera. I think the cinematic modes just defaults to a expected position when powered up, then the gyro's in the head unit handle the movement.
You will find that there is a little bit of screen drift over a period of time, but you tend to compensate and only notice when you take the unit off, or consciously think about the direction you are looking. If you using a wheel, you may notice sooner as you have a default position that's real to reference too. Overall though, i was surprised that it worked like this, a bonus really.

If you find there is a issue with screen position, make sure you are wearing it before you power up, don't have it on your lap.

However back on the PS4, If you forget to plug in the USB cable into the PS4, it asks for it to be plugged in before it (PSVR) will work. I'm guessing that the HDMi is carrying a signal to the PSVR processing unit to identify if its plugged into the PS4.

I will be going back to GT6 tonight, so can double check my memory is not missing anything.

I have one more night to test my PSVR with T300, Playseat, and Vizio 4K TV. Last I skipped the VR mode and raced Assetto Corsa in Cinema mode medium size. Yes the resolution sucks compared to the 4K Vizio but I find Cinema mode much more immersive, than the 4K. Maybe it would be different if the screen were closer or I had a rig mounted 3 screen setup, but I don't have the room for that anyway.

Don't like the "drift" when using Cinema mode, I tend to tilt and turn my head while racing and halfway through a race the image has drifted to the left. The mode button will recenter, but I'd like a way to keep it centered.

Picked up some ginger candy today so I'll be trying Dirt Rally VR again.

Last edited:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/08/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-out-tomorrow/

Good news in the latest PS4 Update: A clearer Cinema experience.

Improved 2D Images on PS VR

If you’re playing a game in PS VR and you return to the PS4 home screen, you may notice that the resolution looks lower than normal on the TV Social Screen. Following this update, you’ll find that the resolution of the system screen displayed on your TV is significantly better when you’re out of VR mode.

Also, the resolution of Cinematic Mode on PS VR will improve — if your PS VR screen size is set to Small or Medium, the frame rate of content viewed in Cinematic Mode goes up from 90Hz to 120Hz with this update.

3D Blu-rays are very good, depth of field and the pop outs. I just watched Suicide Squad in 3D, I haven't really been in to 3D much but this added feature on PSVR will be a nice bonus if I fancy a film that has 3D as my TV doesn't have this feature. Also normal Blu-rays and DVD's on cinematic mode do look sharper. I am finding Dirt Rally does seem to give me a few headaches the next day still for some reason (awesome when you play on it at the time, and it is probably the big jumps in Finland that do it!).

Has anyone else been watching 3d films on the PSVR?

I tried one briefly, the only one WE have... I emphasise we because it's not mine, honest!

So yeah, gave Disney's Brave a quick go, seemed ok but noticed a little bit of stuttering as the screen panned across! However, recently i stumbled across a YouTube video which suggested a setting change to cure this. So next time i give it a spin, I'll test it out.

Would certainly consider seeking out more 3D Blu-rays if the price is right.

I'm watching films I wouldn't normally, I picked up 3D Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first :sly: It was on offer and cheap and to see the 3D in action (I thought I would watch 10 minutes but actually sat through it all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be)! I guess Megan Fox helped in 3D..:gtpflag:

Back