Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

I guess I could give Frozen in 3D a go at some point. My TV has a superb 2D display, but it's 3D display leaves quite a lot to be desired, so I'd be nice if my PS VR can pick up the slack. I just can't imagine movies being that great with the VR due to the resolution.

I guess I could give Frozen in 3D a go at some point. My TV has a superb 2D display, but it's 3D display leaves quite a lot to be desired, so I'd be nice if my PS VR can pick up the slack. I just can't imagine movies being that great with the VR due to the resolution.
Having never had a decent 3D TV I think it is a great option to have for me as I will only play them occasionally and I thought the picture wasn't bad, but this was after an hour of DiRT Rally and Rush of Blood :ill: If you get a chance have a look and let us know how it compares to a 3D TV 👍

Same here. Tested some older 3D Blu Rays especially the family cartoons. Great experience. I think/hope that the screen tearing will be solved with an upcoming update. 3D watching with your PSVR glasses is also super but it is obviously very solo watching. At this point I see it as a nice extra gimmick. Still using PSVR primarily for race games and thus eargerly lokking forward to the upcoming racers

For thos trying the VR with blurays, have you checked to see what your video output settings are?
If it's not already, try turning off the option for Output at 1080p/24hz

Another thing i'm yet to try myself is offsetting the position of the camera from the TV, Iv'e heard some people have claimed that this has improved things generally.

So I finally got around to trying out a 3D movie with the headset. The 3D display itself is superb, with no crosstalk what so ever as far as I can tell. The picture quality also appears sharper than what it was when I originally got the headset, but it's still significantly worse than a decent quality TV in regards to detail levels on objects that aren't in the foreground. Assuming you aren't plagued by screen drifting, it's a decent alternative to watching a movie on the TV.

As I am experiencing quite a bit of screen drift, especially when using the largest screen option, I prefer just sticking to my TV display when watching movies. 3D is very nice and all, but I'm not willing to sacrifice overall detail levels, especially on far away objects, just to get some added depth in the image. If you happen to have a TV with a good 3D display, then I see no reason to use the PS VR for watching movies.

The screen drift is probably caused by an uneven light balance in my apartment, and there really isn't much I can do about it. My windows are to the immediate right of the PS camera, and repositioning everything isn't really an option.

Anyone picked up the Aim Controller today?

2E9B2953-403A-41DB-9858-EBEC97DD6A9E.jpg

This is mine. Play me some Farpoint tonight or tomorrow.

@Sprite I was thinking about this, It does look good. Let us know how the game is and how the movement works sitting down/walking etc I have read mostly positive reviews on this. Imagine if COD and Battlefield get some VR out there!:)

I must admit my PSVR has gathered a little dust lately with all the other games I am playing on my 4k TV. I did enjoy the 3d blu-rays and DiRT Rally for a little while though.

I really think PSVR needs some new games soon or some fresh ideas.👍

I just want AC7... I'll be flying around in an F-16 for days with VR, but it has been delayed until 2018.
I hope E3 will bring out some new IP's for VR, because while Sony's VR launch line-up was quite good, it really doesn't look like they have a lot more content coming out for it.

I still want to play Battlezone with anyone from GTP! It's definitely the best game out there for PS VR, and I need 3 people to do a specific trophy (finish campaign with the same group of 4 people) :D

Played some Farpoint today and it's brill. However if anyone suffers from motion sickness with VR this may just be the worst game for it.

While you can limit the sharp movements by stopping the second stick from allowing you to turn on axis, the game plays awkwardly without it.

The graphics are certainly the best I've seen on PSVR so far and it's a nice smooth game in terms of FPS (no noticeable drops or stutters) and the areas load with nice speed so you hardly notice one area from the next.

Now I will say that unless it's a mouse n keyboard I suck at FPS. I thought I might get a little edge back with this Aim Controller but I was wrong. I suck even more and I panic like a little girl when the first stage creatures come at you. They're like the crabs from Half Life; slow moving then Jump at you and scuttle away.

The Controller being light in hand is good and would allow the stronger stomached players to play for a few hours or more uninterrupted. The layout of the buttons is very odd looking but actually is perfect in hand and everything USB very easy to find. You eventually start to feel what you seen on screen is what you have in hand.

Could I recommend this for people to buy? Yes if you love FPS games and yes if you want to have some fun and inject a little life into you PSVR playtime.

D-Pad, walk back and forward (Left Stick), Options & Share buttons.
A9BA51C4-E5D9-483D-B75A-C3167635DF9D.jpg

Trackpad, and PS button
0BCA1205-47E8-444D-B575-ED1705F99F7F.jpg

Right stick (turn on axis - if enabled), normal X,O, [] & ^ buttons. You can also see the R1 on the side, R2 is on the other side.
929EF2CB-6837-45F9-A5C0-74AF393D4782.jpg

USB charge port, a little further back is a lanyard attaching spot too.
D0D99F81-2676-4ED1-BA31-4B7647A621E7.jpg

L1 & L2 buttons. These act as secondary fire and scan buttons in Farpoint.
5E8067ED-D16A-4B0E-A95D-7FCF3203272B.jpg

It's a solid bit of kit and looks great. The guys and gals who designed this should do the next PS.

Thx!! You convinced me. I will also buy the Farpoint+controller bundle. €90....first I will/have to give my wife a nice bouquet of flowers :yuck::lol:

EDIT:
Still have to buy the flowers but already scored Farpoint + controller. And typical Dutch it was already on sale. 10% discount so paid €81.

Just played about two hours in this real immersive game - I thought I was playing about 30 minutes but then it already was 4:30PM...
It starts slowly to familiarize you with the gun, surroundings and after about one hour creeps everywhere. Funny scary moments. I tried to avoid those jumping crabs and I almost tumbled over my Playseat :crazy:

Farpoint is also in local language (Dutch in my case and I still have to figure out how to change to english). Good 'suspense' background music just for that extra thrill.

Very nice graphics and you can look very very far distance like you're walking on Mars with enormous deserts and mountains.

Last edited:
Just played about two hours in this real immersive game - I thought I was playing about 30 minutes but then it already was 4:30PM...
It starts slowly to familiarize you with the gun, surroundings and after about one hour creeps everywhere. Funny scary moments. I tried to avoid those jumping crabs and I almost tumbled over my Playseat :crazy:

Very nice graphics and you can look very very far distance like you're walking on Mars with enormous deserts and mountains.

I'm trying really hard to wait until they bring out an updated/second gen VR headset before buying one, but your post isn't making it any easier :nervous:

Also today played a couple of hours Farpoint. WOW!! It's getting more intense every hour. That big spider we already saw in the trailers (so no spoilering) is a tough one with all his friends. Now in a new world/level and you walk in a junkyard of spaceship(s) and new enemies pop up. Cannot say what kind of creeps that would spoil the fun.
Besides the race games in VR this is my favorite for now.

Hopefully other developers will follow this route and present new VV titles at coming E3.

Also today played a couple of hours Farpoint. WOW!! It's getting more intense every hour. That big spider we already saw in the trailers (so no spoilering) is a tough one with all his friends. Now in a new world/level and you walk in a junkyard of spaceship(s) and new enemies pop up. Cannot say what kind of creeps that would spoil the fun.
Besides the race games in VR this is my favorite for now.

Hopefully other developers will follow this route and present new VV titles at coming E3.

I really suck hard at this game.

My old man reactions leave me swarmed :D

Are you playing stood up or sat down? I've been playing stood and it's disorientating to the maximum.

“Santa Monica are working on something big. It’s a full-blown second wave title for [PlayStation VR]. It’ll be revealed soon and I know it’ll go well with the core PlayStation audience, but I can’t say any more than that!”

??? any ideas?

Anyone been playing Star Trek Bridge Crew? I purchased it friday night and have been playing it as often as I can since. The original Enterprise is great fun and I've already memorized most of the buttons but it's hard to find people who are willing to give it a try. Solo play is fun and I've heard something about voice commands being incorporated into the game which will be awesome if it works well. I always enjoyed Star Trek but wouldn't myself a follower or fan but this game might get me into it. Loads of fun, definitely recommend it. But I just read the game requires an online connection even to play solo so that's super lame.

Last edited:
Hi audiophiles...

'Audio' in 3D Blu ray playback Cinema Mode PSVR (I do not have a 3D TV)

I need some help/advice on 3d Audio....

I have recently upgraded my ageing AV receiver to a new Pioneer Surround Full 4K 60p 4.4.4 which supports 3D sound playback too. I know not having a 3D TV when I put in a 3d bluray it shows a blank screen and no audio signal (only through the PSVR headset jack) and this is ok but I do sometimes want to play it through with Surround on Sennheiser headphones or Speakers on the AV receiver (which I can do on 2d Blurays and this sounds great and makes a big difference to the movie).

So I have tried to bypass the TV by inputting the HDMI out cable from the AV receiver to the PSVR direct and keep the PS4 hdmi to the 'IN' on the receiver which I thought would work having 3d playback on the new AV. This nearly worked but I get a circle of dots which can't connect to the camera. I have tried swapping all HDMIs everywhere now I think but have so far given in to this.

If anyone has any suggestions or has managed to 'bypass' the 3d coding audio signal and manage to play on your AV receiver any tips greatly appreciated. I have read on other forums this is possible and they have bypassed with cables but I really can't get the 3d on the AV to work.

@BrainsBush @hobbsy @Scaff 👍

Hi audiophiles...

'Audio' in 3D Blu ray playback Cinema Mode PSVR (I do not have a 3D TV)

I need some help/advice on 3d Audio....

I have recently upgraded my ageing AV receiver to a new Pioneer Surround Full 4K 60p 4.4.4 which supports 3D sound playback too. I know not having a 3D TV when I put in a 3d bluray it shows a blank screen and no audio signal (only through the PSVR headset jack) and this is ok but I do sometimes want to play it through with Surround on Sennheiser headphones or Speakers on the AV receiver (which I can do on 2d Blurays and this sounds great and makes a big difference to the movie).

So I have tried to bypass the TV by inputting the HDMI out cable from the AV receiver to the PSVR direct and keep the PS4 hdmi to the 'IN' on the receiver which I thought would work having 3d playback on the new AV. This nearly worked but I get a circle of dots which can't connect to the camera. I have tried swapping all HDMIs everywhere now I think but have so far given in to this.

If anyone has any suggestions or has managed to 'bypass' the 3d coding audio signal and manage to play on your AV receiver any tips greatly appreciated. I have read on other forums this is possible and they have bypassed with cables but I really can't get the 3d on the AV to work.

@BrainsBush @hobbsy @Scaff 👍
Would be glad to help but I have no receiver connected to test it out. I think the issue is that the audio (as well as video) has to be transported via connected HDMI via the PSVR processing unit to the PSVR headset and if you connect the headphone to the PSVR the audio works fine. Right? You want to split the audio and video as sort of two seperate channels. Video to PSVR and audio to receiver. What if you connect the 3.5mm audio from your PSVR to the input of the receiver in stead of a headphone? Hope it works although I don;t think so...

Yes @BrainsBush 3D Audio is fine from the PSVR 3.mm jack. Just to clarify I was trying to get it all through one HDMI cable from PSVR box (which carries audio as it works fine on 2d blu rays), I guess I could set up another RCA single phono split to 2 RCA from PSVR 3.5mm to receiver or Optical from PS4 to Receiver each time but I was trying to avoid this with this new 4k receiver keeping all the wires to a minimum with PSVR cables, T300RS, PS4 and Receiver, PS3 and Xbox I don't know where to hide them all anymore! :(

Anyway Thanks for help, for the time being I have had enough keep swapping wires over :lol: and I will just plug headphones in the PSVR 3.5mm jack it is a lot easier! :cheers:

Yes @BrainsBush 3D Audio is fine from the PSVR 3.mm jack. Just to clarify I was trying to get it all through one HDMI cable from PSVR box (which carries audio as it works fine on 2d blu rays), I guess I could set up another RCA single phono split to 2 RCA from PSVR 3.5mm to receiver or Optical from PS4 to Receiver each time but I was trying to avoid this with this new 4k receiver keeping all the wires to a minimum with PSVR cables, T300RS, PS4 and Receiver, PS3 and Xbox I don't know where to hide them all anymore! :(

Anyway Thanks for help, for the time being I have had enough keep swapping wires over :lol: and I will just plug headphones in the PSVR 3.5mm jack it is a lot easier! :cheers:

Torque wiring.jpg

What is your standard setup? Do you run the PS4 into the receiver, and then the receiver into the TV, all through HDMI cables? If so, simply run the HDMI cable going from the TV slot in the VR processing unit into the receiver like your PS4 otherwise would've, while the HDMI out from the receiver still goes to the TV. The audio will be handled by the receiver instead of the VR processing unit. Personally, I've found the VR unit to deliver poor sound quality, so I often don't bother with it anymore.

In short. HDMI from PS4 to VR processing unit, HDMI from processing unit to receiver IN, and HDMI from receiver OUT to TV.

What is your standard setup? Do you run the PS4 into the receiver, and then the receiver into the TV, all through HDMI cables? If so, simply run the HDMI cable going from the TV slot in the VR processing unit into the receiver like your PS4 otherwise would've, while the HDMI out from the receiver still goes to the TV. The audio will be handled by the receiver instead of the VR processing unit. Personally, I've found the VR unit to deliver poor sound quality, so I often don't bother with it anymore.

In short. HDMI from PS4 to VR processing unit, HDMI from processing unit to receiver IN, and HDMI from receiver OUT to TV.

Thanks @Jawehawk 👍 I think have tried that combination and it plays 2d blu rays fine but as I don't have 3d TV it makes screen blank and cuts sound as soon as 3d blu ray plays. After trying all this you are right the audio from PSVR is not as good and you get so much better sound playing straight on to TV from PS4. I also go in to settings on PS4 player and change to Bitstream, this setting is hidden away which I didn't notice at first and makes a difference.👍

Edit: I think I will do what you do and leave it all as it is and if I want good sound watch on TV, if I want a 3D bluray I will accept the sound will not be as good on PSVR. 👍 I can put all the cables away now :cheers:

Last edited:
Hi @torque99

It sounds like you have accepted a solution (by admitting defeat :P), but I'm still curious as to what your trying to do!

From what I can make out, you want to watch a 3D movie/blue ray through your headset, but want the sound to come from your AV unit. So is this sound through speakers or headphones?

If it's through the speakers, will the movement of the PSVR headset be represented by the sound from the speakers? If not then I don't see the benefit (other than sound quality, comfort etc) over having headphones presenting the sound in 3D

Or am I getting confused? :boggled:

Sorry cannot offer any assistance, but just wondering what you were trying to do.

Sorry @hobbsy I think I have confused myself now!

To conclude, I was trying to get 'better' sound via HDMI/AV Receiver/Speakers from the PSVR when putting in a 3D Blu ray rather than plugging headphones in to the PSVR. I don't mind if it is even just out the speakers but I can't seem to get much joy just from the PSVR (headphone socket). 👍

@torque99 have you seen the patch notes regarding the upcoming PS4 update 5.0?

One of the points is
"PSVR is also adding 5.1ch and 7.1ch virtual surround sound support."

You may have a chance still!

Back