Sony Reveals Its First Car: Meet the Vision-S Prototype

I feel rmbaressed that their car is so generic, and vusially speaking almost a carbon copy of the Model-3...

What stopped them from making something unique and memorable?

Aerodynamics and materials, it's why pretty much all electric cars have a similar shape. There are only so many shapes that cut through the air with the greatest efficiency and there are only so many materials you can use to develop those shapes while still having a structurally sound vehicle. It looks like Sony actually thought about the "what-if" scenario that the car makes it to production. I doubt it'll happen, but I could see Sony partnering with Toyota, Honda, or Nissan to develop a car.

I feel rmbaressed that their car is so generic, and vusially speaking almost a carbon copy of the Model-3...

I think that this body shape allows for a good amount of battery range, which is incredibly important for an EV, as well as having a decent amount of space inside. I wouldn't exactly call it a "carbon copy" of the Model 3 either.

I could see them not being involved. PD seems more involved with the Playstation part of Sony, and doesn’t seem to often branch out to other Sony segments, aside from that Bravia TV advert.

This car, on the other hand, seems to be a collab between pretty much all Sony divisions, though I don’t hear anything about the Playstation being involved. This doesn’t exactly seem like a newer take on the Nissan Urge - a vehicle that I think really would fit as a constantly recurring car in the Forza games.

As far as I know they got heavily involved with the camera division for scapes on GT Sport, I even recall an specific camera model where the startup screen is not SONY logo but GT one

Living in the United States of America, I see generic, hum-drum, boring vehicles all day, every day. Cosmetically, this doesn't leave any kind of negative impression on me. Especially as an economic daily driver, I think it's kind of attractive. Definitely not a show car, but nothing I'd be ashamed to be seen in.

Its quite unusual for a first car concept to be a regular car people would actually buy rather then a Sports car or supercar though, apart from the wing mirrors the car looks close to production spec in terms of design as well, No oversized wheels and overtly weird interior.

Its quite unusual for a first car concept to be a regular car people would actually buy rather then a Sports car or supercar though, apart from the wing mirrors the car looks close to production spec in terms of design as well, No oversized wheels and overtly weird interior.
The wing mirrors could easily be production-spec. They'd be digital ones. Cameras which display the image on the interior.

I absolutely adore the way the badging is integrated into the design of the bumper and tail light. Very, very stylish. Overall i quite like the design to be honest. The body proportions could be nicer though.

At least it's not a truck also.

The wing mirrors could easily be production-spec. They'd be digital ones. Cameras which display the image on the interior.

I absolutely adore the way the badging is integrated into the design of the bumper and tail light. Very, very stylish. Overall i quite like the design to be honest. The body proportions could be nicer though.
Nah those are pretty much not allowed in any country and have been a stable for nearly every concept car for last 15 years or so.

Thought the Taycan had a 2nd screen that stretched the passenger as well.
Yes. Just had a look.
Nah those are pretty much not allowed in any country and have been a stable for nearly every concept car for last 15 years or so.
I thought that too, until I saw the Honda EV and the Audi EV SUV. Those both have the thin outboard cameras.

Nah those are pretty much not allowed in any country
Not any more.

Japan - surprise! - was the first to change its laws to allow for cameras instead of door/wing mirrors in 2016, but even before then there was a production road car which, thanks to low volume, had special exemption to use them: the Volkswagen XL1. The law has since changed almost globally, and the Audi e-tron uses them (as options) in all markets...

... except the USA, which hasn't adopted the change.

It's going to be the most stable car ever produced.
zNLkZ7i.gif
I wonder if the perfomance is increased for each update like the PS4.

The car design is really closer to production than to a crazy concept car.
They even said the platform can accommodate a SUV, which is what they should have brought to a event in US.
With EV cars in demand we saw a lot of new car makers.
If public reaction is good, maybe Sony wants to get on the boat as well.

Back