Sony Skips Two More Games Shows Citing Coronavirus Concerns

Damn plagues, ruining it for everyone.

GDC seriously has a whole page on its site about this too:

Physical measures implemented at GDC 2020:
San Francisco’s Moscone Center, which hosts GDC, is expanding its normal flu season cleanliness protocol to include:
The use of disinfecting electrostatic sprayers in high-traffic areas.
More frequent wipedowns of all common touch areas, including doorknobs, lecterns, microphones, light switches, escalator rails, trash receptacles, elevator buttons, water stations, and bathroom areas.
A significant increase in hand sanitizer stations throughout the Moscone Center.
Daily carpet sanitization in the Expo areas.
A large number of other incremental cleanliness steps, including daily Moscone employee pre-shift safety meetings to reinforce messaging.

In addition, GDC is:
Specifically following the guidance of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Adhering to the travel restrictions and guidance of the U.S. Department of State.
Working with San Francisco Travel to ensure that local hotels and venues are also increasing their cleanliness & hygiene regimes appropriately.
Asking GDC exhibitors to regularly disinfect & otherwise clean game controllers and VR headsets that are used by multiple attendees.
Encouraging attendees and exhibitors to follow regular CDC guidance for everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses of any kind:
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Stay in your hotel or at home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

I understand the concerns, obviously, but this might be a bit much. Its an US event, after all. I hope things get sorted out in the next couple of months or the Summer Olympics are in serious trouble.

I understand the concerns, obviously, but this might be a bit much. Its an US event, after all.
Quite so, but with over 100 confirmed cases Japan is the third most-affected country. It makes sense - especially given the long asymptomatic but infectious period - to not expose other people.
I hope things get sorted out in the next couple of months or the Summer Olympics are in serious trouble.
The infection rate seems to be slowing from what I've seen, but yes. July, isn't it?

At least somebody is taking precautions seriously! The government in Japan have been worringly careless of the virus. Welcoming all passengers of that cruisliner to land reguardless of those effected or not, it's erupted the national populace in fear of their govornment.

I'm glad Sony are taking great measure to not only reduce the risk for themselves, but also for their fans and other media personnel.

Sony can host its own event in Japan and won't be affected by this Coronavirus at all.

Booo! Bad/stupid decision from Sony.

:D

I understand the concerns, obviously, but this might be a bit much. Its an US event, after all. I hope things get sorted out in the next couple of months or the Summer Olympics are in serious trouble.

Every event that had people coming in from Asia has to consider the risks. Not to mention that it's often employees that knows stuff and is important to the companies that are representing in the booths. They are also at risk and even if that risk is small it's often not worth taking it.

Oh Wuhan. The impact is very impeccable in terms of being significant even in the video game industry, indeed... :indiff:

Expensive reveal events are overrated anyway Sony.

Just reveal the specifications and pictures here, on gtplanet and save some money.

You’re going to need it to pay for the rising costs of DRAM and the Rome CPU architecture.

In this day and age, it's strange why these reveals can't be done online, like through a stream? I heard Linus Tech Tips mentioning that idea yesterday.

There's not much of a difference between a live stage reveal and a livestream reveal, is there? (talking about PS5 and other hardware)

Latest Posts

Back