Sony's EV is Coming to Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 71 comments
I'm in the minority excited about this car.
Why? That's because this car is an EV with relatively practical specs for use in online races.
It doesn't have crazy specs that are useless like the VGT, nor is it a slow city car like the i3.
I'm only concerned about the gear ratio, but if things go well, this car will become one of the rare EVs in the PP600 class that can race on an equal footing with ICEs. Like the Model 3 and Taycan.

Also, the naughty kid in me insists on trying an "anti-Sony" livery on this car.
It would be a fun meme to give Sony's iconic car a Nintendo, Xbox, and Sega style liveries of their console war rivals.
I would love to see this car in the Hornet style from Daytona USA.
The thing is EV and ICE cars go about their laptimes in completely different ways. EV is good on acceleration and nothing else. ICE is better with braking, cornering and top speed. Putting EV and ICE together in a race is just asking for a huge wreck. They might be balanced in terms of PP but practically it's like watching a multi class race.

Not to mention if you have fuel consumption enabled. I've taken 80% of the cars in the game around the 'Ring and most road cars can do 9-10 laps. I have yet to see an EV that can do more than 3-4.
It’s a joint venture with Honda. I’m sure they know what they’re doing.
If we are talking about a sports car, sure. But this is a commuter car. Sony is joining up with Honda because they have no idea how to make a car, not necessarily because of Honda's sporting credentials.

Even if they somehow spend the effort to make it fun, because of the lack of gears and heavy weight, EVs are never going to be as fun to drive as their ICE counterparts.

I could understand that. My beef with the ambulance was that it was an afterthought. It was as if we got a moon rover with no moon to drive it on.

PD could have given us a city track with traffic to navigate to the scene of a horrendous VGT wreck where all the designers were about to bleed out.

At least then the ambulance would have had some thought behind it.
Having played GT7 online, I think an ambulance was an entirely appropriate inclusion in the game!

Imagine Toyota entering the home video game console market and setting up a first party studio dedicated to driving simulation. How much luck would they then have attracting car licensing deals from other car manufacturers, and would they even want to promote non-Toyota cars? Maybe it’s time for PD to leave Sony and go fully independent.

I'm not denying your feelings about this car, but there have always been cars that weren't cool or had boring performance since GT1.
One of the joys of GT was the freedom to enjoy a variety of cars, including those cars.

If GT was a game with only more "cool and serious" cars, this series wouldn't be as beloved as it is now.
Just to be clear, I don't underestimate cars like Mazda Demio or old V gen Civic. They were absolutley cool, because you could take them for few credits and turn into crazy little racing monsters. Cars you could meet on every street. That was the power of first GranTurismo. You were even more conected with such car, because you built it step by step.
Back to this new beautiful shiny EV car, I really have no idea how get something intresting out of it in the game... No fun-factor for me. I just don't feel it and it looks like an advertisment for me...
I also don't feel all that fancy 1000 hp vgt cars,
I really prefer drifting ambulance than this. 😁

Waste of resources. They say it takes 2-3 months to design a car right? What a waste.
EV's are so boring in video games cause they don't have the immersion. No sound, just wind noise and tires screeching. Bleh....

ICE is better with braking, cornering and top speed.
That all depends on how the car is actually build.
Just switching the source of power doesnt automatically apply all the things you say, especially because this switch can not be done in a way to replicate maximum performance, weight and capacity at the same time.

Braking is a matter of traction, which is a matter of tyres.
A tanks brakes will do Vmax to V0 in the moment you intent to.
A lorries brakes are also on a high level, as long as the tyres are in a good shape.

Top speed in relation to engine performance is a decision.

And cornering is a matter of weight distribution vs aero and tyre.

BTW: A hydrogen powered car is also EV. Just not battery powered EV.

1704809103654.png

Im sure that is true to a degree 😶

Last edited:
When I first saw the Sony Vision-S, I originally thought that it looked a whole lot like a Toyota, but it turns out I was so wrong when Sony eventually partnered with Honda for their EV's.

I just hope this is more fun to drive than the Tesla Model 3, and lighter as well, despite the 49hp deficit.

About time the Sony car comes to GT. Seeing the new features the prototype has, I wonder what multimedia feature will be displayed when you use it, like the Tesla Model 3's UI showing the satellite imagery of Mars.

Given the car doesn't have any known colour choices, you'd think maybe the themes you can apply outside the car can be chosen as a colour like the GT500 cars with different driver numbers?

Are they losing what this game is about?
I thought it's about getting and collecting cool cars, customization and tuning them and then having fun with racing them in challenging events or online. Now, can we consider this car cool? Hmm... Do we want to race this car? Hmmmmm...
Do we want GT to be marketing platform? Surely...
I'm "Team Ambulance" in this case. 😆
I think it's already past the point of being a marketing platform. There's no way on earth when a manufacturer approached Kaz and asked him if he'd be interesting in teaming up to make a "make believe car" that he would have to pay a license for such a car.

Hmmmm, for those who like this kind of experience, I'm happy for you. I've not seen the trailer, I'm not interested.

Like others, I'd rather see real classic brands that are missing from GT return. There are newer versions of race cars released and missing from GT. There are cars included from Sport that should have been excluded from GT7, but it was easier to reuse them. Classic touring cars missing as well, such a shame.

Kaz knows I've never bought a VGT car. He knows I've never bought an electric car. If you feel the same, then he has your stats too. He knows I'm not interested for sure, but he's not looking at what we like/dislike. GT is his trainset and he'll always do whatever he see's fit. I hate seeing VGT cars in races against real cars. It's a good job we all are different.

If Sony release 12 different models over time, they'll likely all end up in the game. Interesting times ahead, or uninteresting times depending where your preferences lay.

I'd be interested to see how it compares to the Tesla Model 3.
I can already tell you. It can't handshake with Tesla Superchargers which means charging it anywhere (in America) on the Electrify America network is going to be an absolute chore because Electrify America is terrible and hardly ever works right.

Not sure about how it's going in Australia, but in America the discussion of how good "a car" is is completely pointless. They're all good. The real question is "how easily can you charge it on the road" and in America there is only one answer to that question. Tesla. It's a sad state of affairs because there are tons of great EVs that are rendered completely useless the moment you unplug them from your home charger.

If you feel the same, then he has your stats too. He knows I'm not interested for sure, but he's not looking at what we like/dislike.

And of those that don't feel the same, he also has their stats, and maybe he thinks, "Great, those people like it".

At this point there's a gap in the market for a proper racing game, because it seems Kaz is intent on GT being a rolling advert for fashion houses, electronics manufacturers and I guess anyone else who cares to slap together a design for a vehicle.

Might be easier if he just removes those pesky circuits and just continues to add scapes locations so we can take screenshots of concept cars that aren't ever going to get to market (or be widely ignored if they do).

Needs a good kick up the arse imho.

I can already tell you. It can't handshake with Tesla Superchargers which means charging it anywhere (in America) on the Electrify America network is going to be an absolute chore because Electrify America is terrible and hardly ever works right.

Not sure about how it's going in Australia, but in America the discussion of how good "a car" is is completely pointless. They're all good. The real question is "how easily can you charge it on the road" and in America there is only one answer to that question. Tesla. It's a sad state of affairs because there are tons of great EVs that are rendered completely useless the moment you unplug them from your home charger.
I wasn't talking about it from that standpoint.

About time the Sony car comes to GT. Seeing the new features the prototype has, I wonder what multimedia feature will be displayed when you use it, like the Tesla Model 3's UI showing the satellite imagery of Mars.

Given the car doesn't have any known colour choices, you'd think maybe the themes you can apply outside the car can be chosen as a colour like the GT500 cars with different driver numbers?

Would be cool if the infotainment screen showed the info of the currently playing in-game music track, since certain cars in GTA V had this feature for ages iirc

Here is a footage of EV and ICE racing clean in real life
In a drag I dont think anyone doubts the level of performance that a Tesla (and other similarily concepted EVs) have.
In a race, though they might be competitive, this specific video is quite misleading.
Out of context to only say bridge to gantry
6:54.99 vs 7:35.579

Oh man... that was the saddest racing video I've ever watched. And when you read the comments of the driver on the number of laps and other details, it is even worse.

At least I do
It is more raceable than the Ambulance, that is for sure

As others above me has said, it's a cherry picked video which shows nothing. It's barely racing, more like the Tesla struggling to keep up with the Porsche (until the Porsche driver lifted off in the end). In the comments the driver even said the battery only lasted 4 fast laps.

Apart from drag races and short hillclimbs, EVs are still not on par with ICE for racing. They just have wildly different ways of producing laptime and range. The tech might improve in the future but not now. Same goes for Sony's car in GT7. Yes you can race it against cars of similar PP. No it won't be a closely matched race.

Last edited:
Yes you can race it against cars of similar PP.
Taycan and Human Comedy work quite well.
In the race, I was more worried about my (hard!) tyres exploding than running the battery low before reaching the pits - twice over the course of the 1 hour event.
With that experienced, the AI Taycin doesnt go into the pits to recharge, but because the medium tyres definitly are flat dead whenever he goes there.

Solid win, no AI challenge, but also by no means as fast as other cars can go.

As much as I want so many racing cars to be added or return, I have no problem with an Afeela coming to GT7. This car was always going to come to the series too - A car part developed by Sony is a dead cert for inclusion. I also have a soft spot for some of the odd vehicle choices.

At this point there's a gap in the market for a proper racing game, because it seems Kaz is intent on GT being a rolling advert for fashion houses, electronics manufacturers and I guess anyone else who cares to slap together a design for a vehicle.

Might be easier if he just removes those pesky circuits and just continues to add scapes locations so we can take screenshots of concept cars that aren't ever going to get to market (or be widely ignored if they do).

Needs a good kick up the arse imho.
Sony probably approached PD for this project why the hell would they say no?
"hey we're building a car with Honda,we want your expertise in some parts of the project and you guys could scan the car and put it in the game".
Sounds like a good deal for both parties and once again puts PD in the eyes of the tech/auto industry

Back