Sound design improvement in Forza 6?

• Thread starter Krakenous
  • 330 comments
Are you guys noticing a difference between Dolby Digital and DTS?
any difference between the two is going to come down to either the console or to your receiver (or whatever device is doing your decoding). Output format is a console setting; Forza (or any other game) isn't going to do anything different when you select DTS or Dolby or Direct/Linear PCM/whatever it's called, I forget now.

When possible you should use the uncompressed option.

I just use it natively as 7.1 for 7.1 setup on my headphones/speakers when switching between them. I do see overall that they toned down some of the really whacky sounding reverb which makes engines a bit less echoey and more clear, so that to me seems more like a bug fix than a major improvement in the case of speedster911, so yeah.

Weirdly...I am missing the vibe from FH2 already lol, i really did love crusing on the roads in a car, be overtaken by a drivatar, then slamming the throttle down for an impromtu race along a highway mannnn that was satisfying is some of the juciy sounding cars in the game...I only hope if they are making a FH3 they do something really spectacular like focus on sound design even more, especially with car customization, show up NFS + The Crew and blow them out of the water with some epic exhaust note mods etc among so much more.

Yeah, I think it would be too formulaic to make the third game in the same vein as the first two.

I just use it natively as 7.1 for 7.1 setup on my headphones/speakers when switching between them. I do see overall that they toned down some of the really whacky sounding reverb which makes engines a bit less echoey and more clear, so that to me seems more like a bug fix than a major improvement in the case of speedster911, so yeah.

Weirdly...I am missing the vibe from FH2 already lol, i really did love crusing on the roads in a car, be overtaken by a drivatar, then slamming the throttle down for an impromtu race along a highway mannnn that was satisfying is some of the juciy sounding cars in the game...I only hope if they are making a FH3 they do something really spectacular like focus on sound design even more, especially with car customization, show up NFS + The Crew and blow them out of the water with some epic exhaust note mods etc among so much more.

Horizon 2 is the MOST fun I've had in a racing game to date, after the FM games. I love the vibe it has... just pick your favorite ride, cruise around.. do stuff... participate in races and special events. Can't wait to see what they're unveiling in the next game.

YES, there is going to be a H3! They are on a 2-year dev cycle just like the FM games. I see myself playing a lot more H3 and FM5 than F6... because of the way they did sounds.

Dom's Charger codes went out the other day for those that are eligible! And boy does it look and sound amazing, 980hp of absolut insanity, exceptionally recorded and recreated it's an absolute pleasure to drive! Also...infinite burnouts at any speed in any gear is always pretty crazy fun :D! Just a heads up, well worth the prior investment in FF7, damn...now I wish they did another pack of them and let us drive them in career mode grr.

I was just gonna say lol, any one found any updates?

My immediate hopes would be the Jags, XKR and F-COUPE as well as some of the BMWs (some guys, some) and ofc the turbo issues on some of the cars.

What do people thing of the new 7 cars audio wise?! I've been away so only getting to try them out now, such an unexpected list of additions but excited to try them all to be honest :).

The F-Type is still a generic V8 with a supercharger whine on top, with none of the programmed pops and bangs on the overrun. It's tuned to sound like it does, and the game doesn't capture it at all.

The mclaren is a little disappointing in terms of sound. Seems to be pinched from the Indycar sample, it should sound closer to the metro.

^^ Too bad. Bit of a letdown to see T10 didn't quite put the heart, soul and passion into F6 sound the way they did in F4 and 5. Again, I'm guessing it's due to Wisell and Caviezel no longer being a part of the team.

Every one of the cars besides the MP4 in the car pack sound excellent, yes, even the V6 Plymouth to those who think I'm a hater :P.

One of my favourites is that Datsum, mannn that is well sampled, really really well sampled together to create something very similar and very authentic and i've not even driven it HARD yet, fantastic sound across the whole range but hey...haven't heard a bad I4 yet.

The maserati is excellent, fantastic exhaust crackles at low rpm and through the range, shifting is damn satisfying and off-load is really really nice, a ****ing gorgeous sound throughout the whole range sounds very much like how it should and boy that's gonna be fun as hell to drive, visceral is the word i'd use, a disgustingly raw growl, wonderful.

Haven't had time to test them all yet though.

Still not found these "Improvements" to cars, but i'd still argue, thanks to the "Mixing" update too I actually thing the sound quality supersedes FM4/FM5 now, own engine volume in Home Cinema mode sounds superb, and the headphones mix really does have a emphasis on own engine but you need to have the setup set to headphones to hear a noticeable difference though.

Every one of the cars besides the MP4 in the car pack sound excellent, yes, even the V6 Plymouth to those who think I'm a hater :P.

One of my favourites is that Datsum, mannn that is well sampled, really really well sampled together to create something very similar and very authentic and i've not even driven it HARD yet, fantastic sound across the whole range but hey...haven't heard a bad I4 yet.

The maserati is excellent, fantastic exhaust crackles at low rpm and through the range, shifting is damn satisfying and off-load is really really nice, a ****ing gorgeous sound throughout the whole range sounds very much like how it should and boy that's gonna be fun as hell to drive, visceral is the word i'd use, a disgustingly raw growl, wonderful.

Haven't had time to test them all yet though.

Still not found these "Improvements" to cars, but i'd still argue, thanks to the "Mixing" update too I actually thing the sound quality supersedes FM4/FM5 now, own engine volume in Home Cinema mode sounds superb, and the headphones mix really does have a emphasis on own engine but you need to have the setup set to headphones to hear a noticeable difference though.

Really? You saying I should set it to headphones even though I'm using speakers under the home theater setting?

Also, you get the feeling they give more love to certain cars sound-wise, particularly some of the DLC cars?

Really? You saying I should set it to headphones even though I'm using speakers under the home theater setting?

Also, you get the feeling they give more love to certain cars sound-wise, particularly some of the DLC cars?

I am saying if you have good stereo headphones, you'll notice an improvement to vehicle volume, but if you have proper 7.1 setup you'll notice less of difference, but still a difference.

On my speakers switched from the different presets there is virtually no difference, or if there is, it's tiny. Perhaps it's a placebo effect that I still thing Home Cinema mode is "Louder" and "Clearer"? For me, even GUI menu sounds, it just sounds clearer/louder.

Well I don't know lol, I am trying to go through my list of cars that did sound a bit out of whack and seeing if they are improved, but so far, besides the overall mix, there is no singled out particular vehicle that sounds any different than before, at least, so far anyway...would help if they released a damn list!

I am saying if you have good stereo headphones, you'll notice an improvement to vehicle volume, but if you have proper 7.1 setup you'll notice less of difference, but still a difference.

On my speakers switched from the different presets there is virtually no difference, or if there is, it's tiny. Perhaps it's a placebo effect that I still thing Home Cinema mode is "Louder" and "Clearer"? For me, even GUI menu sounds, it just sounds clearer/louder.

Well I don't know lol, I am trying to go through my list of cars that did sound a bit out of whack and seeing if they are improved, but so far, besides the overall mix, there is no singled out particular vehicle that sounds any different than before, at least, so far anyway...would help if they released a damn list!

It boggles the mind, seriously! A list should be there if they did legitimately address sounds on specific cars. As far as I know, the modern Jags still don't sound anything like the exciting and meaty sound Jag sports cars make. And the LaFerrari still has a generic, boring and whiny V12 sound. Compared to the real thing, it was just about perfect in FM5.

Hmm, you recommend selecting the headphones setting even if I'm using speakers to get louder engine sounds?

Turn 10 suggested that was the best bet if you want the car sound more vocal in the mix.

^^ Too bad. Bit of a letdown to see T10 didn't quite put the heart, soul and passion into F6 sound the way they did in F4 and 5. Again, I'm guessing it's due to Wisell and Caviezel no longer being a part of the team.
caviezel has long left the series, but wiswell sure is audio director for forza 5 & 6.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/201...tting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

so unless you are referring to some pretty new news, your info about wiswell is not very correct.

VXR
Turn 10 suggested that was the best bet if you want the car sound more vocal in the mix.

HOLY SMOKES, the devs are right! I would recommend everyone, literally EVERYONE to set it to "headphones"... it makes the cars roar, growl and bark - back to FM4 and 5 bark and roar! Good times! And it doesn't drown anything out, the mix is perfect. Now the cars do sound like CARS! :D :D :D

caviezel has long left the series, but wiswell sure is audio director for forza 5 & 6.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/201...tting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

so unless you are referring to some pretty new news, your info about wiswell is not very correct.

Well then, thank you for correcting my very-wrong info on wiswell. :D

I don't know how anyone can think that the car sounds in Forza, any Forza, are anything but garbage. Excusing the limitations of the original xbox, the rest are terrible. The cards have NEVER sounded realistic. Maybe you audio nuts just want loud, generic car sounds but some of us wany authenticity. Project cars for example, is leaps and bounds above Forza in terms of audio.

Yes Forza has like 600 cars but we are now in the 6th installment and they STILL havent gotten it right on any car. Literally. The cars may be loud and have awesome fidelity but they sound nothing like their real life counterparts. Not to mention how the aftermarket parts that should change how a car sounds are pathetic and generic beyond belief.

It's so far from perfect it would be a crime to call it realistic. Maybe a few are realistic (which ones btw?) but as a whole you would call it unrealistic

Are you kidding me? I was giving him the benefit of the doubt the possibility of there being a few cars that may have some resemblence of their real life counter parts. Whether it's true or not doesn't change a single thing...

Are you kidding me? I was giving him the benefit of the doubt the possibility of there being a few cars that may have some resemblence of their real life counter parts. Whether it's true or not doesn't change a single thing...

Oh but it does because it contradicts your original statement:

I don't know how anyone can think that the car sounds in Forza, any Forza, are anything but garbage. Excusing the limitations of the original xbox, the rest are terrible. The cards have NEVER sounded realistic. Maybe you audio nuts just want loud, generic car sounds but some of us wany authenticity. Project cars for example, is leaps and bounds above Forza in terms of audio.

Yes Forza has like 600 cars but we are now in the 6th installment and they STILL havent gotten it right on any car. Literally. The cars may be loud and have awesome fidelity but they sound nothing like their real life counterparts. Not to mention how the aftermarket parts that should change how a car sounds are pathetic and generic beyond belief.

So how you went from one extreme (pay particular attention to your own words that have been underlined) to another for the simple reason of "I was giving him the benefit of the doubt" is what's called a logical fallacy.

In addition the Forza franchise as a whole, including this game, has done a bad job in the audio department regarding replicating realistic engine/exhaust sounds.

I am not a robot and I'm not in a court of law. Exaggerations are accepted. Furthermore, by giving the benefit of the doubt Im admitting that its possible i could have been somewhat mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition the Forza franchise as a whole, including this game, has done a bad job in the audio department regarding replicating realistic engine/exhaust sounds.
So, in addition, you wrote exactly the same thing as your first post, pretty much? What part of that was an addition? While they don't have 100% accurate sounds(wait, what game does?) they do sound quite nice, and improvements are obvious with each iteration. Hell, you've even said it yourself

have awesome fidelity

I am not a robot and I'm not in a court of law. Exaggerations are accepted. Furthermore, by giving the benefit of the doubt Im admitting that its possible i could have been somewhat mistaken.
Of course you're not a robot, but what does that have to do with actually having a reasonable argument? The only thing you are admitting, and it's glaringly obvious, is your lack of experience with the product your are down playing. You don't just jump in and start with "Everything is wrong!!!!" and instantly jump to "Ok maybe some are right." when no body even questioned that line of reasoning. You yourself are poking holes in your own argument.

We are talking about the realism and how true to life the engine and exhaust sounds are.

I also never said 100% accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back