Sound design improvement in Forza 6?

• Thread starter Krakenous
  • 330 comments
And the issue is that engine and exhaust sounds are wrong. I have not driven every single car in every iteration of Forza. Perhaps there are few they were able nail. I have never heard them. If they do exist it does not change the fact that the sounds in the Forza franchise are super inaccurate.

Are you kidding me? I was giving him the benefit of the doubt the possibility of there being a few cars that may have some resemblence of their real life counter parts. Whether it's true or not doesn't change a single thing...
"Possibility" in that statement makes it sound like you haven't even played the game and are just trolling.

And the issue is that engine and exhaust sounds are wrong. I have not driven every single car in every iteration of Forza. Perhaps there are few they were able nail. I have never heard them. If they do exist it does not change the fact that the sounds in the Forza franchise are super inaccurate.
Make up your mind. You say nothing is right, and then you jump to some are right. Your argument is all over and all it's showing is your lack of actual experience with the franchise. It seems like you're trying to just take a stab at something, when you have no idea either way.

Which car's do you feel are wrong?

I have played every single forza. Including FH and excluding FH2.

By saying everything is wrong Im saying that the few that may be right (idk I've never heard them) do not discredit the fact that the engine and exhaust sounds are inaccurate. I rounded up. Every single car Ive used. Im not making a list but it includes muscle cars (especially classic V8s), imports (euro and Asian), and everything in between. What cars do you feel are right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played every single forza. Including FH and excluding FH2.
Hard to believe.

By saying everything is wrong Im saying that the few that may be right do not discredit the fact that the engine and exhaust sounds are inaccurate
That makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

do not discredit the fact that the engine and exhaust sounds are inaccurate
The only thing that needs to be discredited is you.

I rounded up
More like you took a wild guess and over-exaggerated to try to make an illogical point.

Every single car Ive used. Im not making a list
Then you might as well stop posting now, as all your doing is coming in making a claim, while providing no evidence whatsoever with your claim. How are they wrong if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I suggest that you be careful with the double posting. You're just going to attract some(more) unwanted attention upon yourself.

By saying everything is wrong Im saying that the few that may be right (idk I've never heard them) do not discredit the fact that the engine and exhaust sounds are inaccurate.

What does that even mean?

First it's "They're all wrong and have been since the first game!" which then it turned into "Well some of them might be right, I don't know." to what's now "A few of them might be right... I don't know I've never heard them."?

it isn't even a logical fallacy anymore, it's just a straw man argument that's going up in boisterous flames. While you're continuing to defeat whatever point you're trying to illustrate, use the edit button and not double post.

I don't mind at all. They sound nothing like they do in real life. I understand that there are hardware limitations etc but PCars, for example, has more realistic sounding cars. This has been a complaint about the series for years. Leave your little bubble and search around you'll see people have the same complaint. The evidence is in front of you. Pick a car. Let's say any mustang in any Forza game. Or we could choose any civic. Drive around with it then either hear one irl or on YouTube. If you feel that Forza is accurate, then I say raise your standards or get your hearing checked.

What does that even mean?

First it's "They're all wrong and have been since the first game!" which then it turned into "Well some of them might be right, I don't know." to what's now "A few of them might be right... I don't know I've never heard them."?

it isn't even a logical fallacy anymore, it's just a straw man argument that's going up in boisterous flames. While you're continuing to defeat whatever point you're trying to illustrate, use the edit button and not double post.

Every single sound I've heard has been wrong. Its safe to assume they're all wrong. Even if a few aren't the game still has inaccurate engine and exhaust sounds. Are you understanding this? I'm pretty sure however that they're all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind at all. They sound nothing like they do in real life.
Please provide an example. I'm sure it'll be easy to find since all of them are wrong... er I mean some of them are wrong.. er I mean... are they wrong?

I understand that there are hardware limitations etc but PCars, for example, has more realistic sounding cars.
And Need For Speed has the most realistic sounds, and have been for a long time. What does that say for Pcars? Absolutely nothing.

This has been a complaint about the series for years. Leave your little bubble and search around you'll see people have the same complaint.
I've never denied the fact. I'm just asking you to actually try to prove the point you're trying to make. Otherwise you're argument means nothing.

The evidence is in front of you. Pick a car. Let's say any mustang in any Forza game.
What do you find wrong about the sound?

Or we could choose any civic.

This is where it starts getting odd. The 4 cylinder engines are some of the more accurate ones in the game. The K20 in the Integra actually does a good job at replicating the stock tone of the engine, and the crossover into Vtec.

Drive around with it then either hear one irl or on YouTube.
Ah I see the problem here. You use youtube for your comparisons. No wonder you can't come in with a logical discussion.

If you feel that Forza is accurate
Never said it was, just asked you to prove your point.

then I say raise your standards or get your hearing checked.
:lol:

Every single sound I've heard has been wrong. Its safe to assume they're all wrong. Even if a few aren't the game still has inaccurate engine and exhaust sounds. Are you understanding this? I'm pretty sure however that they're all wrong.

So because of the few it's safe to assume the sum of all is equivalent to said few, however, in the event the game doesn't contain an entire library of inaccurate-sounding vehicles it is still safe to assume that they're incorrect because you're pretty sure?

What a colossal piece of idiocy that is, good lord.

Every single sound I've heard has been wrong.
And there it is again! :lol:

Its safe to assume they're all wrong.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone go back and forth so much on their own wording! :lol:

Even if a few aren't the game still has inaccurate engine and exhaust sounds. Are you understanding this? I'm pretty sure however that they're all wrong.
You're pretty sure? You have absolutely no idea what you're sure of, and it's absolutely hilarious.

It's so far from perfect it would be a crime to call it realistic. Maybe a few are realistic (which ones btw?) but as a whole you would call it unrealistic

Which ones? How about the Ferraris and Lambos for starters? Or the Chevy and Ford race cars?

Unbelievable... your comparing Forza to PCARS piece of trash engine sounds? I'm assuming you're playing CARS on the X1.

The problem comparing PCARS is that they did an excellent job of adding in sounds you traditionally hear on a race track; there is more detail there. However, that does not discredit T10's efforts which still remain very well done for a game boasting a much larger selection.

This guy doesn't know what he's arguing.

The problem comparing PCARS is that they did an excellent job of adding in sounds you traditionally hear on a race track; there is more detail there. However, that does not discredit T10's efforts which still remain very well done for a game boasting a much larger selection.

You're literally saying that T10 did a good job considering how many cars there are. T10 is a HUGE studio. It should be leaps and bounds above PCars. It should have the most accurate sounds that the X1 hardware could computationally deliver. More cars is not an excuse. And its not just sounds you hear on a race track its the cars themselves. I know exactly what Im arguing. There shouldn't be a game in existence with better sounding cars than Forza.

So because of the few it's safe to assume the sum of all is equivalent to said few, however, in the event the game doesn't contain an entire library of inaccurate-sounding vehicles it is still safe to assume that they're incorrect because you're pretty sure?

What a colossal piece of idiocy that is, good lord.

Why don't you try discussing what it is were talking about here and that is that Forza has very inaccurate sounding cars. It doesn't matter if there are some that are good (i. e accurate) or not, something that I just have not witnessed. What matters is that there are very bad(again inaccurate) sounding cars. More importantly, iconic cars do not even come close to reflecting their real life counter parts. There isn't a single old muscle car that sounds like it should. Not to mention every single turbo and BOV sounds exactly the same.

ImaRobot, Im not only using youtube as my reference. Ive been around stock and big turboed Civics, Integras, and euro 4 cyl cars. They may have the vtec sound simulated but the rest is pitiful. Especially with race exhausts. Those Mustangs also suffer the same fate. Btw, you can watch a YouTube video and even though the fidelity is bad they have the correct sound. Its supposed to sound like that but meaner. A fully upgraded sti or evo should sound like they do in dirt 2 but better.

I don't know how many times I've read that the sounds are all bad and then contradictions stating some aren't. As said, this guy still doesn't know what he's arguing.

There shouldn't be a game in existence with better sounding cars than Forza.
Why? Why are games not allowed to be better in some aspects than other games? Pcars did a wonderful job with it's audio
Why don't you try discussing what it is were talking about here and that is that Forza has very inaccurate sounding cars. It doesn't matter if there are some that are good (i. e accurate) or not, something that I just have not witnessed. What matters is that there are very bad(again inaccurate) sounding cars. More importantly, iconic cars do not even come close to reflecting their real life counter parts. There isn't a single old muscle car that sounds like it should. Not to mention every single turbo and BOV sounds exactly the same.

You are the one not discussing. You run in with a blank claim and nothing to show for it other then saying "well Pcars is better!" Why is it better? Please give us some examples of what cars is wrong in Forza so we can discuss it. Video proof would be nice as well as an explanation of what is actually wrong.

You flip flop all over the place and change your opinion with almost every post.

STILL havent gotten it right on any car.

Maybe a few are realistic

I have not driven every single car in every iteration of Forza.

Perhaps there are few they were able nail

Every single sound I've heard has been wrong

I'm pretty sure however that they're all wrong

You have not been here and used one simple fact, or provided us with anything that shows what you are talking about. You are throwing out things as probable, and might be, just making it seem like you have absolutely no idea on the subject your getting into.

I like the decel sounds on Project Cars a lot more than in Forza. When you are slowing down in the R8 LMS it gurgles and pops. That dosent seem to be the case in the R8 Forza has.

I like the decel sounds on Project Cars a lot more than in Forza. When you are slowing down in the R8 LMS it gurgles and pops. That dosent seem to be the case in the R8 Forza has.
I was building up an Audi yesterday and swapped in the 5.2l V10. In Forzavista it has that same effect, but it doesn't seem to happen in game :/

I hate that T10 neutered the '05 GT, it was easily one of the best sounding cars in 3 and 4. It was a little harsh in the mid-range but it was always great to drive on any track if for no other reason than to let off the gas and let the engine do all of the work.

I can't remember for certain but I think it only sounded as good in 5 from the interior and in 6... it just sounds completely neutered.

One glaring sound they got wrong is the helicopters. The usual hollywood/two blade noise. Those are ASTAR'S's flying around and sound completely different.

Didn't get that one GameFreak117x did ya :lol:

I've played the games and it is true, the engine sounds across the board are pathetic and the worst part is that it seems they do it on purpose.

At a glance, details are either not existent or generic at best, tranny, bov, turbo, supercharger, road noise, wind noise, brake fade, body noise, suspension work, etc.

Then you have ridiculously loud exhaust sounds with retarded amounts of reverb.

Intake noise seems to drown everything else in every view except chase view.

Cars with unique sounds such as the 787B, AM DBR9, and almost any other high pitched V12 or rotary engine is (and I'm being serious) quite literally the worst representation available in the entire genre.

I can see the Youtube crowd praising Forza's sound but to say it is realistic is silly. I would get pulled over if my car was as loud and obnoxious as the game makes it out to be.

One glaring sound they got wrong is the helicopters. The usual hollywood/two blade noise. Those are ASTAR'S's flying around and sound completely different.

Since you mention it, the helicopter background noise in pCars sounds hilariously bad to me. It's the same sample they've used since Test Drive Ferrari.

VXR
Where's this outpouring of scorn coming from? It's one of the series' most praised features across the board.

Well you answer it yourself. The reputation of Forza's sounds is very high, so when you discover that quite a few sounds are not great it's a disappointment which might turn into anger when you see many praising it.

Apart from the sound mix - fixed since - and the odd car, some of which have been observed and rectified, again the sound of 6 has been a highlight of many reviews.

I've observed that too.. how you hear the car sounds as generic sounds you'd hear at a track. Wish they had worked on squeezing out the most audio detail and authenticity from each car.

I'd still go on record to say T10's sounds are the best I've heard in any console game to date, given the car count.

Will give creadit where it's due: CARS does off-throttle sounds well, something Forza has been struggling with, though things have improved in 6.

Didn't get that one GameFreak117x did ya :lol:

I find it strange too.. the overhead chopper sound in F5 was just right.

I've played the games and it is true, the engine sounds across the board are pathetic and the worst part is that it seems they do it on purpose.

At a glance, details are either not existent or generic at best, tranny, bov, turbo, supercharger, road noise, wind noise, brake fade, body noise, suspension work, etc.

Then you have ridiculously loud exhaust sounds with retarded amounts of reverb.

Intake noise seems to drown everything else in every view except chase view.

Cars with unique sounds such as the 787B, AM DBR9, and almost any other high pitched V12 or rotary engine is (and I'm being serious) quite literally the worst representation available in the entire genre.

I can see the Youtube crowd praising Forza's sound but to say it is realistic is silly. I would get pulled over if my car was as loud and obnoxious as the game makes it out to be.

Surely the sounds are not that badly mixed as you say - yes, there are hits and misses but there are many sounds that are right on the money, including the 458, Huracan and YES the 787B! :D

What audio setup do you have running? What are your in-game sound settings?

Since you mention it, the helicopter background noise in pCars sounds hilariously bad to me. It's the same sample they've used since Test Drive Ferrari.

Is it? I haven't even noticed. Maybe I need to play the game more. CARS has superb physics, visuals are doable I guess, but I was disappointed with the sound design from the get go.

Well you answer it yourself. The reputation of Forza's sounds is very high, so when you discover that quite a few sounds are not great it's a disappointment which might turn into anger when you see many praising it.

The part that gets to me the most is that many of those sounds were damn nearly perfect in F5, with the exception of weak off-throttle sound on some cars. T10 has a reputation for ditching the really great stuff from previous games... they do that EVERY time! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

VXR
Apart from the sound mix - fixed since - and the odd car, some of which have been observed and rectified, again the sound of 6 has been a highlight of many reviews.

It is very very good now after the updates, though the same level of detail and richness we have in F5 is absent. Overall, F5 had better exhaust sounds, reverb and other race sound effects such as your car making contact with barriers or other cars, wind noise, gear shifting, other cars around you, overhead chopper and bridges etc.

Project CARS has some accurate sounds, but a lot are crap. The straight 6 RUFs all use a need for speed/ TDU sound for exterior cam for example, and it's pathetic. And even the good ones sound like a recording, forza sounds more like you're actually there with the car.

Project CARS has some accurate sounds, but a lot are crap. The straight 6 RUFs all use a need for speed/ TDU sound for exterior cam for example, and it's pathetic. And even the good ones sound like a recording, forza sounds more like you're actually there with the car.

Right on zee money you are!

They captured the soul and character of these cars so well in FM5. Pity the same attention to detail and authenticity isn't there in 6.

Back