Sound Update (PD is now hiring! + Email!)Answered 

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,262 comments
Which racing games (arcade, simulation or whatever) do you guys think have good transmission change sounds ?

I'm thinking the NFS series has great sounds, especially Shift 2 but i don't know if that is good enough for the guys here. If PD can at least simulate the gear sounds like one of the NFS games i'd be happy.

Which racing games (arcade, simulation or whatever) do you guys think have good transmission change sounds ?

I'm thinking the NFS series has great sounds, especially Shift 2 but i don't know if that is good enough for the guys here. If PD can at least simulate the gear sounds like one of the NFS games i'd be happy.
iRacing is leagues ahead with its discrete driveline model, effectively 20 years in the making (mostly because complexity was bound by available computational power).

That has a subtle effect everywhere, lending a real sense of authenticity to the sampler playback control.

Its handling of gear changes (in terms of the controls) is also the best I've experienced, although LFS is similar in spirit. Again, they use a physical model of the gearboxes for that - see here and scroll down to "Transmission and Shifting Model" for details.

Now in terms of sound, it doesn't have the visceral impact of something like the Shift games, but I personally prefer that. It's really the nuance and 1:1 reactivity to my inputs that pleases me.

Nice...

But i feel a bit sceptical that PD can do all the other games did in terms of sounds though i think GT7 would be a lot better than the previous ones in terms of sounds and physics. Hopefully....

Back