Spa 60 min

• Thread starter RickyH64
  • 38 comments
Hi thanks very much
The first few times I noticed that it always started to rain in the evening, but it was over by morning. That's why I started with dry tires and changed to rain tires before dark. Next time it didn't rain all night. In the morning I put the dry tire back on, because nothing was visible on the radar. After 2 laps, the sky fell. I got bored, and since then I've been using this tuning with rain tires. I'm old and slow, but this is a Gr.2 car tuned for SPA by the best tuner expert around here and the opponents are Gr.3 cars. I usually lap them.

NSX 500 pp 794 with MR tyres

I was planning on collecting Gr2 cars next anyways so I went ahead and bought the NSX GT500. WOW, this is the worst Gr2 car I've driven, but it's still winnable.

Ditch the stock Med Tyres. Mine started dying lap 6. Could have went 7 but it rained; 8 would be pushing it.

IDK why the downforce on this car is so much lower than the other Gr2s but Max it out at 600 Front - 850 Rear.

On Hard tyres that puts you at 786pp so you could get a turbo charger and power restrict it back down to 799pp, if you feel that is necessary.

Jumped in the blue AMG GT3. Almost lost the dang race with 5 laps to go. Had the Viper and GT-R about 6 seconds behind me, after All three of us topped up fuel and switched tyres from W(Me) and IW(Viper & GT-R). Thing is, the AI left the tyres on and only topped up fuel.
Anyway, I enter Pouhon(T12) and the physics decide I need more understeer.:rolleyes: Car just sails to the right and goodbye. Into the right side bundles. Both AI cars drive by. Now, I’m 13 seconds behind P2.
Next, what the heck? The Viper pits again. I did notice it had about 40% fuel and the GT-R had about 52% fuel. I had topped up to 60% at the previous pit stop. Okay, so one more car to go, with a 12 gap ahead with 3 laps left.

I get the pass done at the end of the Kemmel Straight. The AI put on the afterburners and rode my rear wing the rest of the lap to the finish. First time I actually had to push in this race. Pretty darn cool.

Jumped in the blue AMG GT3. Almost lost the dang race with 5 laps to go. Had the Viper and GT-R about 6 seconds behind me, after All three of us topped up fuel and switched tyres from W(Me) and IW(Viper & GT-R). Thing is, the AI left the tyres on and only topped up fuel.
Anyway, I enter Pouhon(T12) and the physics decide I need more understeer.:rolleyes: Car just sails to the right and goodbye. Into the right side bundles. Both AI cars drive by. Now, I’m 13 seconds behind P2.
Next, what the heck? The Viper pits again. I did notice it had about 40% fuel and the GT-R had about 52% fuel. I had topped up to 60% at the previous pit stop. Okay, so one more car to go, with a 12 gap ahead with 3 laps left.

I get the pass done at the end of the Kemmel Straight. The AI put on the afterburners and rode my rear wing the rest of the lap to the finish. First time I actually had to push in this race. Pretty darn cool.
Excellent!

I was planning on collecting Gr2 cars next anyways so I went ahead and bought the NSX GT500. WOW, this is the worst Gr2 car I've driven, but it's still winnable.

Ditch the stock Med Tyres. Mine started dying lap 6. Could have went 7 but it rained; 8 would be pushing it.

IDK why the downforce on this car is so much lower than the other Gr2s but Max it out at 600 Front - 850 Rear.

On Hard tyres that puts you at 786pp so you could get a turbo charger and power restrict it back down to 799pp, if you feel that is necessary.
I love this car been good for me however thanks for the advice

Is a dynamic weather race, so don't do it sticking to a strick strategy. That's the mistake made.
In Spa you can loose easily a minute or more every lap on wrong tires on wet track, so it's faster just pit for the best tires. Just top it for fuel to have the flexibility to stay on track the time you need if the track conditions are stable and don't fuel anymore, just tires, at the point you wouldn't need more fuel to complete the race time.

Is a dynamic weather race, so don't do it sticking to a strick strategy. That's the mistake made.
In Spa you can loose easily a minute or more every lap on wrong tires on wet track, so it's faster just pit for the best tires. Just top it for fuel to have the flexibility to stay on track the time you need if the track conditions are stable and don't fuel anymore, just tires, at the point you wouldn't need more fuel to complete the race time.
Thanks very much

Obviously there are a number of different strategies that work well for different people.

The easiest wins for me are when I use one of the 'old school' Group 1 cars (Mazda 787B, Nissan R92CP, Jaguar XJR-9, etc). They all have great fuel consumption and minimum tyre wear. Almost invariably I run hard tyres until the rain comes, refuel and swap to Intermediates or Wets according to to the weather map (50 mile view) and run to the end of the race without any further pit stops.

With reasonably smooth driving, even with a dry track, the rain tyres hold up well. I know that wet tyres are slower on a dry track but, as I usually lap every other car once and the back end of the field twice, it doesn't seem to put me at too much of a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Obviously there are a number of different strategies that work well for different people.

The easiest wins for me are when I use one of the 'old school' Group 1 cars (Mazda 787B, Nissan R92CP, Jaguar XJR-9, etc). They all have great fuel consumption and minimum tyre wear. Almost invariably I run hard tyres until the rain comes, refuel and swap to Intermediates or Wets according to to the weather map (50 mile view) and run to the end of the race without any further pit stops. With reasonably smooth driving, even with a dry track the rain tyres hold up well.
Great advise thanks

Back