Spirit of Le Mans

• Thread starter dualshock
  • 269 comments
The Sunoco 512M was in the trailer so I’m pretty sure it’ll be added. The 924 is in the Group 4 class with the BMW M1 which is the best fit in my opinion. Both cars were actually homologated to race in the Group 4 class by the FIA in the early 80s according to Wikipedia although I’m not sure they ever raced against each other in real life.

According to Racing Sport Cars they actually did race each other in LeMans 1980

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Le_Mans-1980-06-15.html

Check the car list :)

Other interesting find is Ferrari 512BB LM which is rumored to be in Ferrari Pack, but! It is in the same class as BMW M1 and 924 GTP (called IMSA) :) Most people think it will go to Group 5. I wonder where SMS will fit it :) (to be honest i would love to see more Group 4 cars)

EDIT:

How many Liveries does LMP 2016 cars have? I wonder if we will get too much copies if we set LeMans for 32 cars with 3 classes. It will be 10-11 LMP1 cars. I wonder if we will see a lot of copies on track :(

I'd love a Ferrari to fill out Group 4. They're basically the GT3 cars of their day. I assume it's the same body panels and car from showroom but stripped down and given racing parts, which is basically GT3 right?

I'd love a Ferrari to fill out Group 4. They're basically the GT3 cars of their day. I assume it's the same body panels and car from showroom but stripped down and given racing parts, which is basically GT3 right?
I don’t think the 512 BB LM was homologated for Group 4. Seems as though it was a group 5 car although I think it would struggle to keep up with the 700+hp 935s. The 512 had a lowly 480hp max in comparison.

How many Liveries does LMP 2016 cars have? I wonder if we will get too much copies if we set LeMans for 32 cars with 3 classes. It will be 10-11 LMP1 cars. I wonder if we will see a lot of copies on track :(
I assume we will just get the official liveries as manufacturers seem very fussy about that with LMP1 cars. There could be a licencing restriction too but I don't expect anything other than the liveries that raced.

Some cars in PCars2 sound terrific and then some sound like this. Utter rubbish. It is so inconsistent in it's sound quality. How can SMS use the sound for the TS040, with it's naturally aspirated V8, for a car with a V6T?

Doesn't exactly look realistic either in that video either.

I was the one complaining about the annoying LMP1 cars that were unlicensed before. It's great to see that the LMP1 grid is now divided into HY and regular, so now you can just delete them altogether and go with the newest ones. That's pretty great!

BUT....

Now the problem with the unliscenced, non-hybrid LMP1 cars just got worse. If you want to replicate a privateer LMP1 entry with them, they're still in the same class as the old R18 E-Tron and TSO40 Hybrid, so you wouldn't be able to replicate privateer le mans entries!

If only we had the ability to select the grid ourselves, then the weird class headaches would cease to exist with one simple patch.

I know, I'm just nitpicking now.

Last edited:
I was the one complaining about the annoying LMP1 cars that were unlicensed before. It's great to see that the LMP1 grid is now divided into HY and regular, so now you can just delete them altogether and go with the newest ones. That's pretty great!

BUT....

Now the problem with the unliscenced, non-hybrid LMP1 cars just got worse. If you want to replicate a privateer LMP1 entry with them, they're still in the same class as the old R18 E-Tron and TSO40 Hybrid, so you wouldn't be able to replicate privateer le mans entries!

If only we had the ability to select the grid ourselves, then the weird class headaches would cease to exist with one simple patch.

I know, I'm just nitpicking now.

Yes but then again if Porsche and audi stayed in WEC would there even be privateers?
But still custim grids would be ideal

Yes but then again if Porsche and audi stayed in WEC would there even be privateers?

There have been privateer entries in Le Mans long before Porsche and Audi dropped out. There's been a couple every year since LMP1 became a thing. Definitely not a new thing.

There have been privateer entries in Le Mans long before Porsche and Audi dropped out. There's been a couple every year since LMP1 became a thing. Definitely not a new thing.

Past couple years I only remember Bykolles and rebellion, so I see your point..but still.

So they added the 1971 version of the track, cool, but despite the addition of the new cars, still had hope they would also launch the updated version of the track with the wider Indianapolis..

Just did a race. Looks like there are 2 per car and I had both the low and high downforce spec cars from Audi. Just 8 cars in LMP1 though with 12 in LMP2 and GTE.

Um yeah, I think the AI level is going to have to come WAY down with these new LMP1 cars. I tried one race each in the Porsche and the Audi Fuji at Silverstone. 10 laps and I finished dead last in each in them 40 seconds behind the leader, 3 seconds a lap slower than the fastest lap. AI strength of 65 is going to have to be 30 or so.

I will get good value from the track and the 917LH, 512M, 512S, but I don't understand why the Porsche 924GTP and 961 were chosen - they could have been included in the Porsche pack. I would have preferred that those valuable spaces in the Le Mans pack were reserved for legends which would fill out existing game categories such as Jaguar D Type (to partner Aston Martin DBR1/300) and Ford GT40 MK1 (to partner Ford MK4 and Ferrari 300 P4).

I am not sure how the 924 GTP is going to fit in - hopefully there are enough liveries for a one make series - it was a legend in US racing I believe.

It would be nice if someone who has the pack already could let us know how many liveries each car has - hopefully as many as possible - the 961 might only have 3 as I believe only one was made - it was raced once at Le Mans and then at two other races in different colours.

Hopefully one 512 has a Sunoco Penske team livery as raced by Mark Donoghue and David Hobbs.

As so often, I share your opinion. My one and only priority is authentic (historic) motorsport and we’ve talked about a lot of options a while back.

Not only the two gt porsches surprised me, but the fact that we have both versions of the 512. I am surely not complaining as I wanted them so bad but that was a move I did not expect. Despite the fact that I was hoping for 1 more group C car I am so much looking forward to experience what Derek Bell was describing in quentin spurrings le mans book about qualifying the 917LH...

I don’t think the 512 BB LM was homologated for Group 4. Seems as though it was a group 5 car although I think it would struggle to keep up with the 700+hp 935s. The 512 had a lowly 480hp max in comparison.

Thats why I think group 4 would make more sense. In my literature the description of the 512bb performance was always that it was noteably slower than its rivals (lancia beta monte carlo turbo, porsche 935 etc) because of its high center of gravity, low power (in comparison to group 5) and high weight. But nevertheless, it will be welcomed with open arms and tears of joy by me.

Um yeah, I think the AI level is going to have to come WAY down with these new LMP1 cars. I tried one race each in the Porsche and the Audi Fuji at Silverstone. 10 laps and I finished dead last in each in them 40 seconds behind the leader, 3 seconds a lap slower than the fastest lap. AI strength of 65 is going to have to be 30 or so.

Are you sure you used the hybrid at all? You have to deploy it manually in the 2016 cars.

To be honest if SMS made an announcement they wont be doing a Ferrari DLC but replaced with a Lemans DLC part 2 I would actually welcome such an announcement. Despite me being a Ferrari fan.

Lemans is awesome it would even more great if we got more content from it and layouts from the 1950s and the 1980s

Last edited:
To be honest if SMS made an announcement they wont be doing a Ferrari DLC but replaced with a Lemans DLC part 2 I would actually welcome such an annoucement. Despite me being a Ferrari fan.

Lemans is awesome it would even more great if we got more content from it and layouts from the 1950s and the 1980s

I could have an actual game around this event.

Btw, does group C feel „right“ on the old layout despite being almost 20 years adrift? Maybe you‘ve tested this. It definitely feels odd on the modern circuit...

I could have an actual game around this event.

Btw, does group C feel „right“ on the old layout despite being almost 20 years adrift? Maybe you‘ve tested this. It definitely feels odd on the modern circuit...

Group C cars on the 1971 layout feel odd but is much better than the modern one.

To be honest driving a 2016 LMP1 on the 1971 layout feels weird actually.

Driving the Ferrari 512M and the Porsche 917K is a beauty. 1971 is a track that has been for these kind of cars.

Has anyone noticed a difference between the two liveries for the Porsche 961? And why doesn't it have the white livery known from the 961 that finished Le Mans 7th overall in 1986? The Rothmans livery wasn't used on the car until 1987, but the game says the car is the 1986 entry.

Speaking of years, why is the Ferrari 512 M listed as a 1970 model? These M evolutions weren't entered at Le Mans until 1971.

Has anyone noticed a difference between the two liveries for the Porsche 961? And why doesn't it have the white livery known from the 961 that finished Le Mans 7th overall in 1986? The Rothmans livery wasn't used on the car until 1987, but the game says the car is the 1986 entry.

Speaking of years, why is the Ferrari 512 M listed as a 1970 model? These M evolutions weren't entered at Le Mans until 1971.
Sometimes the game duplicates liveries to create 2 car teams, I think it helps with career mode.

Back