GT Sport Mode need a Penalty fix asap, please Polyphony Digital...

Should the penalty system Get a fix

• Yes

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 12.2%

• Total voters
Are you sure?
I mean if you know you'll be losing twice the time, you better serve your penalty during the race, won't you? Still better option than losing more positions due to doubled penalty.
Yeah, but to prevent the doubling they would stop on (i.e just before) the finish line, causing a massive blockage. If people just carried them over then it wouldn't be a problem.

guys I remind you that they are always updating and adjusting to the system and are continuously testing in game to see where to intervene, so it is still far from the optimal:idea:.
It's always a new system and, as I'm going to repeat, it will be optimized in the long run so expect other balances with the next updates and keep giving your feedback:gtpflag:👍

Yeah, but to prevent the doubling they would stop on (i.e just before) the finish line, causing a massive blockage. If people just carried them over then it wouldn't be a problem.
Oh I see
All cars below certain minimal speed should be ghosted?

I can’t really say for sure, because I play mostly in open lobbies with people I trust, or I play offline. I’ve done a few sport mode races and I’ve never really gotten frustrated with the penalty system. I’ve seen some pretty awful videos though.

All I can say is that people have been complaining about the system since day one as much as they are now. Sophisticated systems like this that awards penalties, calculate DR and calculate SR are pretty new when it comes to online multiplayer racing, so it’s going to take some work to create a benevolent system that works 99% of the time.

Keep playing, submitting videos and providing data. It’s the only way it’ll get better.

Good post mate. I agree as well. Previously you would get 1 or 2 seconds apiece for contact, or for hitting someone from behind 5-10 seconds (regardless of if they had crashed and respawned, were serving a penalty or brake-checked). Now, the system seems to be judging fault much better, handing out 4 or 5 seconds to the culprit and just 1 second to the other party. The new algorithm supposedly waits to see the result of a collision before deciding a penalty, and this seems to be doing the trick now :)

Yeah, that is annoying re: the time penalty increase... the notes said the severity of the increase had been relaxed, but it seems to have been cancelled altogether.

I don't know, for me the seconds keep running up while don't serving a penalty. Only i think its above 10 seconds now instead of 5 seconds.

I'm surprised the number of people that are still "ok" with serving penalties on track.
IMO, penalties should be carried to the race end, or, served in the pits. Done.
If you are going to allow people to erase their penalty, they will continue the behaviors that penalized them in the first place.
One perpetuates the other... and down the road we go.

I'm surprised the number of people that are still "ok" with serving penalties on track.
If you are going to allow people to erase their penalty, they will continue the behaviors that penalized them in the first place.

Yes and no, for people who caused the penalty yes. For the people being a victim of somebody should be able to scrub the time penalty IMO.

I don't know, for me the seconds keep running up while don't serving a penalty. Only i think its above 10 seconds now instead of 5 seconds.
Oh right, that may be the way it has been relaxed then... I've not had a 10 second + since the update.

yes, yes and yes!!!

in today's daily race;

- cars in front off me spins out, I slam into it and car behind me slams into me, I recieve 3 secs
- player exit pit and drive into me, I recieve 2 secs
- player slams into me and I hit the wall, 4 secs.
- I'm between 2 cars, player on the my left pushes me into player on my right witch makes him spin out, I recieve 6 secs

doesn't make much sense. I went from SR B to D in only 2 races.

yes, yes and yes!!!

in today's daily race;

- cars in front off me spins out, I slam into it and car behind me slams into me, I recieve 3 secs
- player exit pit and drive into me, I recieve 2 secs
- player slams into me and I hit the wall, 4 secs.
- I'm between 2 cars, player on the my left pushes me into player on my right witch makes him spin out, I recieve 6 secs

doesn't make much sense. I went from SR B to D in only 2 races.

Based on how the SR system works, it's impossible for you to lose that much SR from 4 collisions spread across 2 races and I'm assuming you are a clean driver. So were you clean before and after said collisions?

Based on how the SR system works, it's impossible for you to lose that much SR from 4 collisions spread across 2 races and I'm assuming you are a clean driver. So were you clean before and after said collisions?

I try to be as clean as possible. I even let pass faster drivers on narrow tracks.
There where more collisions but those I've posted where the ones witch I rememberd what happend. I was hoping Blue moon would be an easy way to get my DR and SR up. Was I wrong.

Oh my Gosh, interested what SR is it.
It seems to me that such cases can not be correctly judged in automatic mode
This was SR: S (my rating was 99) with about 50/50 DR:S and DR:A drivers.
Yes, in this case a lot of mistakes in the judging system.
Inadequacy of the driver is the main problem.
What is this patch? In 1.16 does not show the assigned penalty to another player.
This was Tuesday so would've been 1.15 (the day before the update).

My ratings dropped from sr-s to sr-b from qualifying 2nd at monza and being punted through the chicane at t1 . I received a 10 sec penalty for that.
Ridiculous !

I love this game but recently have lost heart .

Here's my stats to show the comedy
http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=4288782

i feel the same way,

i cant agree more, served in the pits, (stop and go or drive by ) just like real racing and if more then 5 driver get penalties we should get a safety car for one lap

This could be a solution that covers all the points. Rather than implement and force a timed penalty that must be served immediately on track, go to a racking system.
Side to side
-0.5 sec For minor bumps and light side to side contact of any kind to both drivers
-1.0 sec for any contact resulting in a drastic change of line/ position from side to side contact: both drivers.
-2.0 sec for any abrupt/hard side to side contact: both drivers.
(Because the game cannot seem to recognize fault on side to side contact, it would have to be issued to both drivers. This is good in the sense that it would force for racing line discpline
And respect for the line and corner rights.
Front to rear contact
0.5 sec to the chase driver for a light bump resulting in no adjustment to the lead driver.
-1.0 sec to the chase driver for contact that results in an adjustment to his line
-2.0 sec to the chase driver for a hard impact to the rear of any kind.
-5.0 sec to the chase driver that results in an off track to the lead driver
(NO penalty should be issued to a lead driver that was hit from behind as it is always the chase drivers responsibility to adjust to the lead drivers line unless overlap is clearly obtained)
There will still be those drivers that deliberately brake check outside the braking zone. Again, being the chase drivers responsibility to avoid any contact, adjust your approach once you get a sense of a drivers poor manners. Wait for a clean shot to get around being ready for the dirty behavior.
Track/Corner cutting
-2.5 sec for each offense.
Have a penalty window at the top corner of the screen showing your penalty total time to be added to your total race time. As you race, at each sector GTS already tallies sr up or down. Why could they not piggieback a penalty deduction for every clean sector after a penalty/penalties has been issued.
Let' say you are at 3.0 seconds worth of penalties at lap 2 of an 8 lap race. Let's assume there are 3 sectors/lap with 6 to go. Every clean sector/positive sr will remove 0.25 sec from your total penalty time. If you have raced clean the entire balance of the race=no penalty. Continue racing dirty accruing penalty time, the penalty balance will be added to your total end of race time and you will be placed accordingly. Ontrack penalties are creating chaos and more problems than it is trying to avoid.

It was better with 1.15, yes annoying how you both got a penalty when it wasn’t your fault but at least it seemed consistent. Now it is all over the place and very harsh, 10 seconds for the smallest of taps.

It generally seemed the racing was cleaner with 1.15. The biggest change that happens, whatever the change is, needs to be applied to all levels and against SR not DR so in mixed lobby’s of DR at least we are all following the same rules!

And please do some form of guide/video/tutorial to explain the do’s and don’ts so everyone knows how the system works!

This could be a solution that covers all the points. Rather than implement and force a timed penalty that must be served immediately on track, go to a racking system.
Side to side
-0.5 sec For minor bumps and light side to side contact of any kind to both drivers
-1.0 sec for any contact resulting in a drastic change of line/ position from side to side contact: both drivers.
-2.0 sec for any abrupt/hard side to side contact: both drivers.
(Because the game cannot seem to recognize fault on side to side contact, it would have to be issued to both drivers. This is good in the sense that it would force for racing line discpline
And respect for the line and corner rights.
Front to rear contact
0.5 sec to the chase driver for a light bump resulting in no adjustment to the lead driver.
-1.0 sec to the chase driver for contact that results in an adjustment to his line
-2.0 sec to the chase driver for a hard impact to the rear of any kind.
-5.0 sec to the chase driver that results in an off track to the lead driver
(NO penalty should be issued to a lead driver that was hit from behind as it is always the chase drivers responsibility to adjust to the lead drivers line unless overlap is clearly obtained)
There will still be those drivers that deliberately brake check outside the braking zone. Again, being the chase drivers responsibility to avoid any contact, adjust your approach once you get a sense of a drivers poor manners. Wait for a clean shot to get around being ready for the dirty behavior.
Track/Corner cutting
-2.5 sec for each offense.
Have a penalty window at the top corner of the screen showing your penalty total time to be added to your total race time. As you race, at each sector GTS already tallies sr up or down. Why could they not piggieback a penalty deduction for every clean sector after a penalty/penalties has been issued.
Let' say you are at 3.0 seconds worth of penalties at lap 2 of an 8 lap race. Let's assume there are 3 sectors/lap with 6 to go. Every clean sector/positive sr will remove 0.25 sec from your total penalty time. If you have raced clean the entire balance of the race=no penalty. Continue racing dirty accruing penalty time, the penalty balance will be added to your total end of race time and you will be placed accordingly. Ontrack penalties are creating chaos and more problems than it is trying to avoid.

If nothing comes of it as in no advantage gained, no one leaves the circuit, no harm done there shouldn't be any penalties full stop but it would make sense just to add the penalty to the final time.

It was better with 1.15, yes annoying how you both got a penalty when it wasn’t your fault but at least it seemed consistent. Now it is all over the place and very harsh, 10 seconds for the smallest of taps.

It generally seemed the racing was cleaner with 1.15. The biggest change that happens, whatever the change is, needs to be applied to all levels and against SR not DR so in mixed lobby’s of DR at least we are all following the same rules!

And please do some form of guide/video/tutorial to explain the do’s and don’ts so everyone knows how the system works!

1.15 was just fine after they patched it, don't know why they had to change it again.

Last edited:
It's funny seeing those lower than A now realising what has been the norm for A+ since 1.13.

And yet, having been bumped down into those rooms recently, it's STILL not as bad.

I really hate the 1 second penalty for being hit from behind and the "short cut" penalties. I lost half my DR A level yesterday at Willow Springs. Got rear ended (1 second) which forced me off the track and over the burm (+5 seconds for cutting the track), I ghosted while I was airborne but I collided with another car as I came out of ghost mode (+10 seconds) and then, later in that same lap, I was forced off from behind again and into the desert (+1 for more contact and +5 for going off course).

I guess I need to clean up my bad behaviour :D

I’m really curious as to how your Sr rating can go down when you get a clean race bonus ???

When you get hit and it's not your fault, ie you don't get a time penalty or SR Down on screen, you keep the clean race bonus. Yet for some reason, it still deducts points of your rating. Perhaps it's a bug.

The clean race bonus seems a bit more forgiving though. I've gotten the bonus while snagging a minor shortcut penalty. Yet I've lost it when avoiding a car and going wide without getting a penalty. It would be nice if it showed on screen exactly when you lose it so you know what you did wrong. Sometimes I think my race was perfect and no bonus. Other times I'm sure I lost it and bonus....

Playing the last few days, it seems as though it's still pretty easy to generate nonsense penalties, but they seem easier to burn off like a before a couple updates ago. (Sorry if someone else mentioned that in this thread but I'm posting quickly between races.)

I’m really curious as to how your Sr rating can go down when you get a clean race bonus ???

It's bugged and has been all along, just now with the added penalty silliness it's more apparent. I once got a clean race when I punted someone (not intentional but bad on my part), I was even given a penalty too and I have also not got a clean race when I stayed on track all the time, all clean sectors and I didn't even come close enough to touch any car as I led the entire race from pole.

Just my latest penalty
P2IiiAm.gif

3 wide on the straight to the slight right, pretty much even leading up to the corner. Car on the inside clips the wall, knocks nr 3 into me, into the wall, I get SR Down, 3 sec penalty, -5 SR after the race for that. The car that caused it got nothing.

Last edited:
I am inches away from quitting the game for good, the penalty system is that poor.
As soon as I reached 75000 DR, 2nd place punts me in th next race, DR plummets.
Today in Nations Cup, someone punts me in qualifying (yes qualifying), in race hit 8 times by other drivers but I get the penalties, and someone in middle of last corner reduced pen by slowing down right in front of me - 10 second pen.
Currently on 72000 DR and 65 S. I could be reset to B/S! Speaking of 'BS,' that's a perfect abbreviation for how the current penalty system works.

Back