Sport modes biggest failing for the slow to average driver.

• Thread starter Lebowski
  • 838 comments
Then maybe ranked/competitive gaming isn't for these people, because this is how it works. Sometimes you get matched against people who are way better than you, sometimes you have it easier. This whole thread is as ridiculous as an FPS player who complains about being matched with people who are too good at aiming.

- from a dad with very limited play time, btw.

Agreed. At any given time on a track I'm really only racing a handful of people with close qualifying times. This weird notion that you have to be first or at least have the opportunity to be first is such a weird entitled concept that I can't even begin to support.

I get it, a lot of people are entitled and feel that the experience should be about them despite how little they work at something or develop a skill. Overwatch has been able to build a massive following by coddling it's players with fake loser medals, obfuscated K/D ratios, and ranked matches. That's great for children and sensitive people with weak egos but I don't see the relevance here for this game.

Your lap time is your time. Period. The only thing anyone should be entitled to is a close race with the guy in front and the guy behind you. So there are two A+ drivers having a head to head race miles ahead of the pack, what does that have to do with anyone else? With their times they're just sharing the same instance.

Wanting to be packed in with 12 cars that are all within the same 2 second last times, sounds like a really insane disaster.

No need to argue, if you believe those sites, I won't stop you. It doesn't concern you what I believe, does it ?

Philip DeFranco has the perfect shirt for you:

DWgkUEEVQAAxQG0.jpg

At around 20K DR SR 99, yep you are stuck as grid filler for A+/S A/S rooms. Which is why I don't bother qualifying and find nice battles that way as DR from 20K up doesn't matter one bit at SR 99. Perhaps if you don't qualify you might drop down a bit into full B/S rooms. I had a couple when I was doing Interlagos without qualifying and got down to 19K at SR.99.

Pretty sad though in a game that is supposed to be about doing your best to improve you are punished for being at certain levels by being placed in races as grid fillers and to get matched closer to your skill level and possibly be gridded for a good starting position you need to drop to a level below what your best efforts places you at.

Actually your reply is the nonsense.
I would say that as far as experiencing how the matchmaking works or reacts to differing criteria of all types which includes different ranking levels, different amounts of manner points within a ranking level, changes in SR rankings or just about any variable a racer could confront concerning as to how the system actually works or responds to a change in a racers stats that Sven Jurgens with the last time I saw was over something like 1600 sport mode races I believe would have to be considered somewhat of an expert in this phase of the game.

He also has done a very good and thorough job of documenting his results within sport mode in different situations within other threads in this forum.

His post that I quoted above is from near the beginning of this very thread as a reply to one of my post talking about my personal experiences with matching and after I had posted my personal Kudos stats.
If you see from his reply at my current skills level stats which would be a true accurate representation of my actual level skill wise that from those numbers his opinion states rather solidly is that level is a grid filler under the matchmaking system as we know it.

If you also read his response on the matter further he suggest that to not be placed in lobbies to as a grid filler to not qualify and that in his experience that if you dropped your manner points to a level below 20,000 you may then be put into full B/S rooms.

Also to even go further I had posted in regard to an unscientific experiment I had done which was qualify at a pace 2 seconds a lap slower than I was capable of and entering 4 or 5 races noting the starting grid positions.
Then going back and qualifying again again at a 2 seconds a lap faster pace and starting the same number of races and noting the starting grid positions at the faster Q time.

My results were with both starting times that I was still placed in a 10-16th or so starting position only with the faster Q times I was now placed in faster lobbies with faster A level racers. The lobby breakdown as to mixture of rankings remained about the same.

So that debunks at certain levels being faster moves you up higher on the starting grid, no ir just moves certain level racers to faster lobbies.

So as far as being nonsense, I think that I will listen to someone that has a lot more expertise in how matchmaking actually reacts to different situations and my own personal experiences which in my opinion strongly validates EXACTLY what Sven posted and says as being how the system works.

You may not like the reality of the system is screwed up for many lower level drivers but that does not change that different racers experiences seem to back up that theory not debunk it as you try to do!

At least instead of just saying nonsense or tell someone to "get gud" or be faster I try to offer information that backs up or supports my claims or show why I think something is the way it is.

All you ever offer is your opinion and that by itself with no supporting documentation we all know what that is the equivalent to being we all have one!

You're not being punished for being DS. Even in that lobby when the pace gap between pole and mid-field is huge, there are still 10 Ds for the D player to race - he is being matched with other players at his ability.

Tell that with a straight face to that D racer that has raced 60 races and has beaten all of the drivers within his racing classification 8 times and still has not registered one single win as a result!!!!

But yet when that almighty A racer post on a forum like this one bragging about his 38 wins,18 poles and 22 fast laps in 87 races I damn well guarantee that he will not be saying or acknowledging but 70% of the racers I beat to get those impressive stats were racers 4 levels lower than me!

Again from the lower ranked players please explain how they are on an even playing field as to how the games awards or stats if you prefer are handed out?

Do not say it is the same in real racing because a ranking level is a class and in real racing EVERY CLASS HAS THEIR OWN AWARDS if they are in the same races consisting of higher classes of racers.

Do that in Sport mode 99% of the problem goes away!

The best thing you can do is shift the balance of your Sport Mode activities a little more in favour of the FIA races and see if you don't see an improvement in the matchmaking.

The FIA race shift to a point is good in a sense but flawed as well as an overall solution.

Unfortunately in many respects it is a very limited and a very temporary band aid as the FIA season is approaching its last season and what the future holds concerning future FIA events is presently uncertain or even unknown as far as I know.
Also the FIA season only provides a maximum of a total of 4 races to compete in over the course of a week at a very distinctive time slot restriction.
That still does nothing to alleviate what many consider as a problem within the normal Sport Mode daily races which most of the lower guys compete in.

I thought I had responded to why that was not a viable solution much earlier.
With four races a week and ending soon it fixes what actually?
Also something else you seem to fail to understand or comprehend is that the casual weekend warrior does not play the game the same way the "its a serious racing sim crowd so I got to find that extra 2/10ths of a second to be in the top 100" players.

That serious guy may spend 20 hours testing different cars, fuel consumption rates and lines to get that last 2/10ths to do his absolute best in the 4 races he can race in that week for a total actual race time of less than 4 hours.

That casual racer many times does not want to spend 10 minutes on qualifying before hopping into a race so first off less than 4 hours racing which is only available on two different days at two races per day in very specific time slots is not even a remotely reasonable alternative to most casual racers within the sport mode ranks.

And again think of it in another way from a different perspective, that serious guy that spent hours upon hours getting his performance to the peak of his abilities to do well in these FIA races does he really want the casual guy popping into his lobby who really has nothing to lose or gain ramming him off the track with a dive bomb in turn one of the first lap effectively ruining his chance for the top finish he spent so many hours preparing for?

I would tend to say that most racers serious about the FIA events would much rather see just the really serious guys in the race as they are less likely to race in a manner causes carnage within the pack.

Again this may not affect the racers in the very upper split lobbies but it surely could effect those not in the very top slit lobbies.

Last edited:
With all those distractions why would you enter a competitive environment though and then actually complain that it's the games fault? What do you want the lobby to pause for everyone until the kids/pets leave the room :lol:. Sometimes stuff comes up mid race or qualifying, but I don't expect everyone to stop just for me to see to it.

Also not all A and A+ guys spend 10+ hours a day on the game, with expensive wheel setups and no distractions because they have no life. All of those preconceived ideas what it takes to be good are mostly myths and only just hold a lot of people back because they are 'unattainable'

I made a comparison between two extremes of gt sport players. Both could have fun, and please point to where I suggest that a race should be paused. After reading some of the responses in this thread it's clear that casual players are supposed to suck it up or leave which they obviously are doing in millions

And let's remember that the guy complaining in the first place wins 1 out of every six wins.

Which makes it even more frustrating to read this thread tbh. I always get put into races with A+/S or S/S guys that are faster than me, I barely win any races as a result. The law of diminishing returns makes finding that extra 1-2 seconds to close the gap on the top guys A LOT harder than closing the gap to the average A/S player, so I have zero sympathy for people who whine that they don't win enough.

Last edited:
I apologize but it’s very annoying to me that some folks have such a sense of entitlement that they literally believe there is a problem with a game that does not repeatedly place them near the top of the starting grid regardless of their ability.
Like anything you do you tend to get out what you put in to at least some degree. But somehow folks here are aggressively pushing a position that a casual racer should regularly get top five starting spots and chances to win
even though they may not practice or even have much driving skill at all relative to the track they are on.
I’m opposite in my stance. I think it’s awesome that I can race whenever I want. In 90 plus races I have never once not had competition in the lobby I was in. Not once.
I’d say maybe the only people that might happen to are the people at the very top level of skill because let’s face it they are very very good.
I could take replays from any of my races and show drivers rated d c and s sr all in battles with other d c s people.
But, that’s not good enough for the entitlement people. They want more. They want to battle for the win every time. Guess what the player base is if not the biggest one of the biggest of games in this genre so its Gonna take a little effort. I don’t think it’s much at dr d but it still takes effort in to get a win out.
You give people such a great system to play and you get aggressive griping that they can’t win enough. They even said the game should start them individually with only a few cars very close to them so they can try for a win every time.
So yeah it must be the games fault that everyone doesn’t get to battle for the win almost every time.
If you want that then make a custom race in arcade mode.
Sorry if some of my postings might seem argumentative or negative. It’s just quite shocking to me to read folks comments who are on bizarre tirades aggressively trying to convince folks there is a problem when my direct experience with the game has been nothing short of phenomenal.

At least instead of just saying nonsense or tell someone to "get gud" or be faster I try to offer information that backs up or supports my claims or show why I think something is the way it is.
Yes, truly a master of writing a lot but saying very little.
Tell that with a straight face to that D racer that has raced 60 races and has beaten all of the drivers within his racing classification and still has not registered one single win as a result!!!!
I will when I meet him. But for now the guy complaining has 200+ wins does he not?
And again think of it in another way from a different perspective, that serious guy that spent hours upon hours getting his performance to the peak of his abilities to do well in these FIA races does he really want the casual guy popping into his lobby who really has nothing to lose or gain ramming him off the track with a dive bomb in turn one of the first lap effectively ruining his chance for the top finish he spent so many hours preparing for?
Yay you've finally realised. No, the As and A+s don't want the grid full of Ds any more than the Ds want them on their grids - which is why most stick to the FIA races.
Of which you're right, there are far fewer, but because of this it means they're usually very well populated and as a response to a very flimsy complaint about the game's matchmaking I think it's a good practical solution to the immediate problem.
I take your point the final season is ending, and you said something along the lines of "and who knows what will happen then?!" Well I'd imagine the test season will pick up again.

It's hard to understand what point you're trying to make a lot of the time, so I apologise if you feel I've misunderstood you; but it seems to me like you're now just advocating for more awards to be dished out and that would keep you happy? Or have I lost track

Agreed. At any given time on a track I'm really only racing a handful of people with close qualifying times. This weird notion that you have to be first or at least have the opportunity to be first is such a weird entitled concept that I can't even begin to support.

I get it, a lot of people are entitled and feel that the experience should be about them despite how little they work at something or develop a skill. Overwatch has been able to build a massive following by coddling it's players with fake loser medals, obfuscated K/D ratios, and ranked matches. That's great for children and sensitive people with weak egos but I don't see the relevance here for this game.

Your lap time is your time. Period. The only thing anyone should be entitled to is a close race with the guy in front and the guy behind you. So there are two A+ drivers having a head to head race miles ahead of the pack, what does that have to do with anyone else? With their times they're just sharing the same instance.

Wanting to be packed in with 12 cars that are all within the same 2 second last times, sounds like a really insane disaster.
So wrong about Overwatch. Overwatch rewards winning, emphasizing teamwork and playing the objective. It recognizes the many elements within the game’s scope, not just crossing the finish line first.

The medals are done correctly as well because blocking damage, healing etc are just as important as anything else and there’s no way to determine which attack was decisive on another player. Meanwhile, something like Call of Duty only counts the final blow for a kill, even if it was only 1% of the damage.
And even Treyarch is realizing how flawed it is and taking big steps to fix that in Black Ops 4.

Anyway, GT Sport is very much a video game with many carrot on a stick incentives like unlocking cars, mileage points, daily spinners, increasing levels, trophies etc.

It's hard to understand what point you're trying to make a lot of the time, so I apologise if you feel I've misunderstood you; but it seems to me like you're now just advocating for more awards to be dished out and that would keep you happy

No your misunderstanding of my position is that they way the Sport Mode matching does not treat all ranks of racers equally and the same way.

Any A+ racer knows when he enters any lobby that to have the chance or opportunity to register a win, a pole position or the fastest lap within a race he will face no competition that is above the pace or skill level within his ranking level.

The A racer knows that he will face the possibility of an A+ racer being in the field but with the actual number of A+ racers overall and then again how few of them actually race in the daily races again the percentages are pretty good that he will find himself in the same position as the above as far as having the opportunity for a top result or race award.

With every ranking level down and really starting with the B rankings because there are quite a few A racers THAT DO RACE THE DAILIES THOSE PERCENTAGES DECLINE DRASTICALLY.

Get down to the D guys they have no chance in mixed lobbies.

You can call that fair and equal treatment if you like but I do not.

Those guys paid for the game just like everybody else and the game should treat them equally.

No your misunderstanding of my position is that they way the Sport Mode matching does not treat all ranks of racers equally and the same way.
Which is nonsense.
Take your own example; the AS racer gets his win in that room full of DS guys, he'll probably get 100 dr tops. In other words it's a complete waste of time. That's best case scenario. It's not as easy to beat a room full of DS from pole as you might think when you get divebombed into T1 and every subsequent apex for the first lap, now you're looking at a huge DR drop - it's however perfectly fair (both ways) because that's how Elo ranking works.

Any A+ racer knows when he enters any lobby that to have the chance or opportunity to register a win, a pole position or the fastest lap within a race he will face no competition that is above the pace or skill level within his ranking level.
That's not true. There are many 50-65k DR A+ drivers who will still struggle to match the pace of the guys at 70k+.
On top of that (that being the enormous task of finding the pace to lap anywhere near), you also have the risk of losing a lot of DR if you make a mistake and get beaten by a lower ranked driver - again, that's the whole point of Elo ranking and Sport Mode in general.

I suppose I just fundamentally disagree with you, and I'm more than happy to leave it at that.

You can't just offer race wins per grade.
It would be too easily gamed.

Let's say I'm loaded into a room and find I'm the only B grader in Race C.
All i need do is complete one lap and sit in the pits waiting for the race to finish.
Yeh me, I win.

And that's regardless of whether the rest of the field is DR A+/A or even DR C/D.

Let alone quitting races to modify your DR ranking on purpose.

The same goes with waiting for a full room before racing.
I don't want to sit there for 2 minute or 30 minutes waiting in anticipation of a race starting without knowing when/if it will happen.

And how is winning a race with 6 people in a room the same as winning a race with 20 people in a room?
That doesn't seem fair.

It's great to have ideas, but they need to be practical.

Sure.

I could come up with all sort of rules to cover all sorts of scenarios.
But wow, it would be a complicated massive set of rules.
It already happens, in my Sundays FIA nation race I was the highest finishing GB racer and the game presented me with a little star and told me so.

Its not difficult.

Which is nonsense.

That's not true. There are many 50-65k DR A+ drivers who will still struggle to match the pace of the guys at 70k+.

Take your own example; the AS racer gets his win in that room full of DS guys, he'll probably get 100 dr tops

But that A+ racer still is racing nothing but racers within his ranking level.

That is all the lower ranked guys are wanting to do.
That mid level 20,000 ranked B racer faces the same exact scenario of the racing the top ranked B guys.
I have not seen any one posting where they want only lobbies where they are the top ranked racer in their ranking.
This would be equal treatment of the lower ranked B guys as to the same the A+ gets.

As far as the points go many casual racers could give a **** about the points and the points are in no way what the discussion about matching equal competition hinges off of.

But he still gets his race win, fastest lap stat and pole position though doesn't he?

You love the use of the word nonsense and it fits you well, that is the majority of what you post!
Ridiculous fits well also.

Last edited:
I apologize but it’s very annoying to me that some folks have such a sense of entitlement that they literally believe there is a problem with a game that does not repeatedly place them near the top of the starting grid regardless of their ability.
Like anything you do you tend to get out what you put in to at least some degree. But somehow folks here are aggressively pushing a position that a casual racer should regularly get top five starting spots and chances to win
even though they may not practice or even have much driving skill at all relative to the track they are on.
I’m opposite in my stance. I think it’s awesome that I can race whenever I want. In 90 plus races I have never once not had competition in the lobby I was in. Not once.
I’d say maybe the only people that might happen to are the people at the very top level of skill because let’s face it they are very very good.
I could take replays from any of my races and show drivers rated d c and s sr all in battles with other d c s people.
But, that’s not good enough for the entitlement people. They want more. They want to battle for the win every time. Guess what the player base is if not the biggest one of the biggest of games in this genre so its Gonna take a little effort. I don’t think it’s much at dr d but it still takes effort in to get a win out.
You give people such a great system to play and you get aggressive griping that they can’t win enough. They even said the game should start them individually with only a few cars very close to them so they can try for a win every time.
So yeah it must be the games fault that everyone doesn’t get to battle for the win almost every time.
If you want that then make a custom race in arcade mode.
Sorry if some of my postings might seem argumentative or negative. It’s just quite shocking to me to read folks comments who are on bizarre tirades aggressively trying to convince folks there is a problem when my direct experience with the game has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Did you read the thread or are you making things up in your head? What is suggested is matchmaking, like in other modern games.. CS:GO for example has 18 skill levels (afaik).

You can't just offer race wins per grade.
It would be too easily gamed.

Let's say I'm loaded into a room and find I'm the only B grader in Race C.
All i need do is complete one lap and sit in the pits waiting for the race to finish.
Yeh me, I win.

And that's regardless of whether the rest of the field is DR A+/A or even DR C/D.

Let alone quitting races to modify your DR ranking on purpose.

The same goes with waiting for a full room before racing.
I don't want to sit there for 2 minute or 30 minutes waiting in anticipation of a race starting without knowing when/if it will happen.

And how is winning a race with 6 people in a room the same as winning a race with 20 people in a room?
That doesn't seem fair.

It's great to have ideas, but they need to be practical.

High ranked DR players are already gaming the system as they please, cheating is impossible to stop. The only B player would still get the win, no one but him would care anyway, and it would not count on his stats. Average wait time is usually displayed in other games that work with dynamic matchmaking. 6 vs 20 people in a room? as you might have noticed in this thread the race is usually done in the front between 2-3 fast guys. So yeah, 6 people would a let down, but it might as well be very close exciting racing. I doubt it would be so bad though.

The ideas are not only practical, they are used right now in plenty of other modern games..

It already happens, in my Sundays FIA nation race I was the highest finishing GB racer and the game presented me with a little star and told me so.

Its not difficult.
Because being the highest GB racer is relevant in FIA races.

Overly complicating Daily races with all sorts of "win" conditions seems unnecessary to me.

Because being the highest GB racer is relevant in FIA races.

Overly complicating Daily races with all sorts of "win" conditions seems unnecessary to me.
Really? Differing countries of which there are what 8 or more per euro race potentially? As opposed to 4/5 classes seems simpler to me.

Some people are so damn frail and self-important, its pathetic. They'd rather lean on the illusory notion of having peaked than work their way up the ranks, encouraged by the same very people who lacked the constitution to do so, closing the loop. They'd rather uproot the system and undermine the competition to satiate their desperate sense of entitlement and a yen for validation through crossing the line first. Me Me Me, i'm so damn important!

Some people are so damn frail and self-important, its pathetic. They'd rather lean on the illusory notion of having peaked than work their way up the ranks, encouraged by the same very people who lacked the constitution to do so, closing the loop. They'd rather uproot the system and undermine the competition to satiate their desperate sense of entitlement and a yen for validation through crossing the line first. Me Me Me, i'm so damn important!
Congrats, you have summarized the entirety of this thread

But that A+ racer still is racing nothing but racers within his ranking level.
That' not true and largely meaningless anyway; the DR spread for A+ is 6x what it is in D.
That mid level 20,000 ranked B racer faces the same exact scenario of the racing the top ranked
That's also not true. In my experience you don't start to run into the top guys until ~50k.
I have not seen any one posting where they want only lobbies
Not sure what you mean here.
You love the use of the word nonsense and it fits you well, that is the majority of what you post!
Ridiculous fits well also.
Good one 👍

Congrats, you have summarized the entirety of this thread
Only 304,500 inclusive of duplicate accounts can be shown in total since the games release to share this opinion by voting with their feet as it were and continuing to play the game for more than the 20 races it would require to ‘git gud’ that places that opinion in the minority.

Of that figure only 95,000-105,000 approx still continue to play sport mode weekly, weekly! and this figure has settled for 12-13 weeks.

Which is nonsense.
Take your own example; the AS racer gets his win in that room full of DS guys, he'll probably get 100 dr tops. In other words it's a complete waste of time. That's best case scenario. It's not as easy to beat a room full of DS from pole as you might think when you get divebombed into T1 and every subsequent apex for the first lap, now you're looking at a huge DR drop - it's however perfectly fair (both ways) because that's how Elo ranking works.

On top of that (that being the enormous task of finding the pace to lap anywhere near), you also have the risk of losing a lot of DR if you make a mistake and get beaten by a lower ranked driver - again, that's the whole point of Elo ranking and Sport Mode in general.

I suppose I just fundamentally disagree with you, and I'm more than happy to leave it at that.

You are not making a single counterargument on the contrary you are complaining that the high ranked player will waste his time because he isn't getting paid enough for his win.
I wonder what the rest of the field might think

You are not making a single counterargument on the contrary you are complaining that the high ranked player will waste his time because he isn't getting paid enough for his win.
I wonder what the rest of the field might think
No need to wonder there's 16 pages here :yuck: I'm just pointing out that underpopulated lobbies such as the ones being discussed here are in no one's favour or best interest.

So I literally just read a post stating they paid for the game therefore they are entitled to wins. That’s a bizarre entitlement point of view.
That’s like me buying the latest and greatest racing kart and going to a kart club and informing them that due to my purchase I will be starting top 5 in the Wed night race. I paid for it.
This is exactly the perspective being aggressively pushed on me in this thread.
How can anyone justify such an illogical position?

So I literally just read a post stating they paid for the game therefore they are entitled to wins. That’s a bizarre entitlement point of view.
That’s like me buying the latest and greatest racing kart and going to a kart club and informing them that due to my purchase I will be starting top 5 in the Wed night race. I paid for it.
This is exactly the perspective being aggressively pushed on me in this thread.
How can anyone justify such an illogical position?
Can you at least quote your claims?

That' not true and largely meaningless anyway; the DR spread for A+ is 6x what it is in D.
And the reason for that is back much earlier in the year the points allocation was changed in order to try to boost the numbers as there were so few racers at the A+ (Then S ranking) and the A ranking.
I will say that my experience was that prior to this change it was a much better and greater chance of getting in a lobby of your same ranking level if you were a lower ranked player than what it was after the change.

That's also not true. In my experience you don't start to run into the top guys until ~50k.
I have as a B racer only seen an A+ racer in a grid I was in a couple of times and it was not one of the top guys who name you would recognize even then.
I cannot say the same when it comes to A ranked competitors and it is not unusual to see a 2 or more a second gap in pace between the slowest of the A guys and the fastest of the B guys within the lobby.
That gap could be 3.5 seconds from pole position and if you have 7 A racers then the B racer that is starting 17th could easily 5 seconds off the pole and 3.5 seconds slower than the last 7th place A racer.
So again a guy that would be starting first within his own ranking and maybe get the win now starts 8th and by pace unless those A guys screw up will finish a best of 8th and not win the race!
The guy starting 17th in the mixed grid and gains 5 spots finishes 12 th but if he was racing in a grid that only contained racers within his ranking class and gained 5 positions get to claim a top 5 spot.
So again even the slower higher ranked and faster paced racers unless they screw up are given the advantage of higher finishing positions against lesser competition.
The facts remain the same the game does not treat all of its player equally with the same chance of success in relation to their level of rank.
Not sure what you mean here.
Hit the wrong button, edited the previous post as a result.
No need to wonder there's 16 pages here :yuck: I'm just pointing out that underpopulated lobbies such as the ones being discussed here are in no one's favour or best interest
And anytime someone points out ways to try to counteract that and even as simple as rewarding each class within a mixed lobby their own separate race finishes and rewards your reply is usually it is Nonsense!
That sums that one up doesnt it!

Some are arguing what is the solution to "the problem".

Some are arguing whether this "phenomenon" is a problem or not.

But guys, let's face it, even the premise is off, the infamous "phenomenon" (unfair matchmaking, cant win) is already a lie, this is such a waste of time, and it's toxic. just move on guys

Back