Sportsmanship...

• Thread starter Ashthebash
  • 239 comments
Why should I get a penalty for something that was not my fault
That's the system PD has chosen to implement. All drivers in any collision get a penalty.
If that happened in the real life f1 I'm pretty sure the dude would be band from the tracks for life
This isn't real life, or F1.

It's an interesting example, as F1 has different rules from many other series, in several areas. And just as F1's rules are different from, say, Super GT, GT Sport's rules are different. GT Sport's rules are that all drivers in any collision get a penalty.

This is how it works, whether you like it or don't.

I didn't have a penalty at the end of the race. Why should I get a penalty for something that was not my fault and better yet if he did get penalised it should have been more than 10 seconds. If that happened in the real life f1 I'm pretty sure the dude would be band from the tracks for life

They trying get it real to life yeah hence the FIA involved in the game. And ok not f1 how about touring race. If someone uses your car to get round a corner without breaking we should not be penalised for it why should us clean law abiding racers have to hang back in last to get somewhere becouse if someone uses us as a brake we get penalised for it. Obviously by a player who clearly don't give a **** about ruining the experience for others

Last edited by a moderator:
And ok not f1 how about touring race.
Different series have different rules. GT Sport has these rules.
If someone uses your car to get round a corner without breaking we should not be penalised for it why should us clean law abiding racers have to hang back in last to get somewhere becouse if someone using us as a brake we get penalised for it.
Because that's what GT Sport's rules are.

Wow, not a great system, but it doesn't seem too horrible from an outside perspective.

Also you aren't supposed to double post, but whatever.

They trying get it real to life yeah hence the FIA involved in the game. And ok not f1 how about touring race. If someone uses your car to get round a corner without breaking we should not be penalised for it why should us clean law abiding racers have to hang back in last to get somewhere becouse if someone uses us as a brake we get penalised for it. Obviously by a player who clearly don't give a **** about ruining the experience for others

Chris I understand why you don't agree with Famine but he isn't arguing with you. Just explaining that is the way it is now, adjust or don't but railing against it here won't change it.

That's the system PD has chosen to implement. All drivers in any collision get a penalty.

I don't think it's true anymore but i'm fine with it...

might not be your fault but if you always put yourself in a situation where another driver can hit you, you might not be a safe driver either. **** appens but on the long term i think it's perfectly fine the way it is.

Someone somwhen said "any accident on a racetrack is your fault exept if you're hit by a lightning".

Chris I understand why you don't agree with Famine but he isn't arguing with you. Just explaining that is the way it is now, adjust or don't but railing against it here won't change it.
I'm not ar
I don't think it's true anymore but i'm fine with it...

might not be your fault but if you always put yourself in a situation where another driver can hit you, you might not be a safe driver either. **** appens but on the long term i think it's perfectly fine the way it is.

Someone somwhen said "any accident on a racetrack is your fault exept if you're hit by a lightning".
Its not happenimg every race. Im doing well. qhalifying for pole everyday. I just think the driver responsible should be punished a bit more intensely who knows it's still early days. It might get better

I'm not arguing. Just getting a point across. I get this is what it's like now I'm happy with it just don't see why the odd wanker has to ruin it for others and us get rank raped for it

I'm not arguing. Just getting a point across. I get this is what it's like now I'm happy with it just don't see why the odd wanker has to ruin it for others and us get rank raped for it

Is fake online racing on your playstation that important to you? Some people just like to cause trouble and crash into people. It's just a staple of online racing. 👍

Is fake online racing on your playstation that important to you? Some people just like to cause trouble and crash into people. It's just a staple of online racing. 👍
Yeah it is. Why are you one of those staples that crash are ya

At the end of the day if I wanted to race like a prick and crash others I would do it in a lobby. Not a sports career where people other than me take it seriously

I'm not ar

Its not happenimg every race. Im doing well. qhalifying for pole everyday. I just think the driver responsible should be punished a bit more intensely who knows it's still early days. It might get better

Yea I understand, I am bad but trying to improve and I am sure I've enraged others on track unintentionally, but there are people out there just looking to ruin someone else's day.

Yeah it is. Why are you one of those staples that crash are ya

At the end of the day if I wanted to race like a prick and crash others I would do it in a lobby. Not a sports career where people other than me take it seriously
To them the fun is that they are doing it where people are trying to take something seriously.

Yea I understand, I am bad but trying to improve and I am sure I've enraged others on track unintentionally, but there are people out there just looking to ruin someone else's day.
Phhhhh ya got that right

To them the fun is that they are doing it where people are trying to take something seriously.

Good way to end the evening. And o that bomb shell

Attachments

• 15085243118611651529507.jpg
    15085243118611651529507.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 128
I didn't say it was. I said that this is how it works - whether you like it or not. So you're vehemently agreeing with me, but starting every post off in response to me with "No".

The people gaming/exploiting it have worked out how it works. It works by giving all drivers involved in any collision the same penalty, both by dropping/not raising SR for the sector in which the collision occurred and a time penalty. If you back off for the allotted time across the entire rest of the race, and drive clean in every other sector, you won't end up with a loss of SR.

Again - No.

Don't try tell me what I meant to say.

Ok?

They are gaming the system. Period. It is an exploitable ranking system that is ripe for abuse. Those people punting clean racers into the weeds are getting an advantage - they are winning the race with time to clear their penalty because they punted the other people off - so they are able to slow down, lose the penalty while the other person is left to fight for position and be punted again by another cheater.

Perhaps you are someone that exploited this behavior to gain early SR ranking.

A player is either a clean racer or a player is gaming the system.

The clean racer is racing in a realistic manner, the one gaming the system is not.

And here I thought this entire exercise was supposed to be realistic - if Kaz wanted realistic, just implement a damage system. Then there is no 'recovery' for the one doing the punting.

This entire eSport nonsense will still come down to whomever can master the nuance of the GAME control, not the better driver.

This has been obvious since the first GT Academy. Until the players got to get in the real cars, the GT Academy winners have all been the ones that have mastered the GAME better than others. Once in real cars the playing field is level - not before.

There are many people that had they been given a seat in the GT Academy cars would have gone on to racing careers, but they could not master the nuance of the PS3 game as well as the GT Academy online qualifiers.

So the GT Academy qualification had no basis in reality, the same way that GT:Sport eSport racing has no basis in reality, it will just the best PS4 game player, not the best driver.

This penalty system is just the latest game nuance to be mastered that has no relation to real life racing at all. None.

Last edited:
Maybe after the next 'accident', you guys should try filing an accident report with the local police department and get each other's auto insurance involved. Then you can hire a lawyer to try to prove any wrong doing by the other party and file a lawsuit for damages, monetary losses, and emotional distress. It will be your word against theirs, your lawyer against their lawyer. "You rear ended me.", "No, you over braked". And then maybe after several months of investigations and court appearances, the judge will side in your favor.

I haven't had a great experience with SR so far. Since my skills are poor, I try to drive extremely conservative and stay out of everyones way. I'm constantly getting rammed from behind by someone driving erratically. Maybe if I had a huge rear-view screen on at all times I could get out of their way; but I've looked through all the menus and can't see how to do this in third person view (which feels necessary to have enough situational awareness). It feels very unfair to be constantly penalized for getting rear-ended.

I think its a good system , needs some tweaking maybe but it's better than nothing . The races have a fairly quick turnaround and there's alot of good racers out there . I've been nudged off myself a few times and when i checked the replay back it was my fault as i closed the door on them and gave them nowhere to go . Learn from it and move on it's not like real life where your car is trashed and you got a 2 week wait till the next race meeting .

I haven't had a great experience with SR so far. Since my skills are poor, I try to drive extremely conservative and stay out of everyones way. I'm constantly getting rammed from behind by someone driving erratically. Maybe if I had a huge rear-view screen on at all times I could get out of their way; but I've looked through all the menus and can't see how to do this in third person view (which feels necessary to have enough situational awareness). It feels very unfair to be constantly penalized for getting rear-ended.

See, and this is forcing you to drive in the exact OPPOSITE way you drive on track. You do not focus on who is behind you or worry about "not looking good" (like the etiquette video says) - you look ahead and you drive your race.

See, in real life on track, track etiquette says you as a driver rely on the driver doing the passing to do so in a safe manner. You look ahead and drive ahead, not behind you - the faster driver has the responsibility to go around you safely.

This penalty system is actually causing people to drive OPPOSITE to real life, they are worrying about who is about to punt them from behind.

Kaz has made GT:Sport to be the most UNREALISTIC racing environment ever. And if a track held a race like this in real life, it would be shut down for being dangerous.

Sorry to say, if you have real world track experience, then GT:Sport is not the place to race and get faster, it is the place to foster unrealistic and dangerous habits that would get you killed in real racing.

I think its a good system , needs some tweaking maybe but it's better than nothing . The races have a fairly quick turnaround and there's alot of good racers out there . I've been nudged off myself a few times and when i checked the replay back it was my fault as i closed the door on them and gave them nowhere to go . Learn from it and move on it's not like real life where your car is trashed and you got a 2 week wait till the next race meeting .
Except nowhere in the real world is a race managed like that - if you close the door (IOW hold the racing line) then the PASSING driver has to be the one to do the passing safely, not the one holding the racing line. In that scenario, they did not have the speed and space to make the pass.

In your (and Kaz's) scenario you will always be giving up the racing line and then get passed. You think that is how real racing is conducted?

No sir, the passer needs to have the speed, the passee just has to hold his line.

Last edited:
If you try and just not bother qualifying and pootle around at the back your SR barely seems to increase race on race despite always getting blue markings ....

This is exactly what I did during the demo and my rating is S. Just put in accident free races and avoid all contact and it will increase. It is a broken system, but hopefully they will fix it soon.

I did love the awful Sportsmanship videos. Jesus, talk about talking to your customer like they're an idiot.

"You're a 'bad' person if you do this, you don't really want to be a 'bad' person do you?"

Again - No.
Yet again you're explaining how people are using exactly the mechanism I described - which is how the SR system works, which is what I said and all that I said - to their advantage, but starting off every post by disagreeing with me...

I did love the awful Sportsmanship videos. Jesus, talk about talking to your customer like they're an idiot.

"You're a 'bad' person if you do this, you don't really want to be a 'bad' person do you?"
I found that funny i had a chuckle watching those lol

Yet again you're explaining how people are using exactly the mechanism I described - which is how the SR system works, which is what I said and all that I said - to their advantage, but starting off every post by disagreeing with me...

And again - no. I am telling you they are not 'using' the system, they are exploiting it.

Big difference.

I understand you believe in moral relativism, but I don't - exploiting is cheating.

I didn't have a penalty at the end of the race. Why should I get a penalty for something that was not my fault and better yet if he did get penalised it should have been more than 10 seconds. If that happened in the real life f1 I'm pretty sure the dude would be band from the tracks for life

The way I see it, the system works the way it does to avoid accidentally not giving penalties to those at fault. If they implemented a system that tried to determine who was at fault for a collision and only penalize them, there's a decent chance it could penalize the wrong person... good driver gets the penalty and bad driver gets off scott free. Which would be worse, potentially much worse if people could figure out and exploit how the game determines who was at fault.

And again - no. I am telling you they are not 'using' the system, they are exploiting it.

Big difference.

I understand you believe in moral relativism, but I don't - exploiting is cheating.
I'm literally only explaining how the SR/penalty system works. I've no idea where you're getting anything else from.

To have regular good racing u need to have the pace to hang with the good guys who know what they are doing. If u dont have the pace to compete with the good guys u are gonna be stuck racing the bad guys untill you do. Wich most of the time wont be clean because they just dont got the skills, know-how or care to race clean.

Even then you have an issue. I was 3rd or 4th when I got crashed into and close to the car in front, I wasn't going for silly moves, it's a 5 lap race and I had good pace. So by doing the right thing, you make yourself vulnerable to the torpedoes!

Until we have real life FIA officials judging the races it will never be completely fair , Iracing has the same system . Over time it levels out and the bad racers steadily lose rating so they get weeded out . All you can do is keep trying to improve yours and keep practicing to get better and faster and you'll get some amazing races .
Iracing in some ways is worse because if you get nudged and your car gets trashed you've got a long wait in the pits for it to get fixed .

This system needs fix right now, Im punished because some guy bumped me out of track. He should be punished with slow down, not like now he gain higher place and drive like nothing happened.

This system needs fix right now, Im punished because some guy bumped me out of track. He should be punished with slow down, not like now he gain higher place and drive like nothing happened.
Did you not watch the video on etiquette. You get punished for blocking :P :D . Seriously though I have to agree. The whole set up it too arbitrary and needs finesse. Oddly a looser set up is better as while drilling is bad, no driver is perfect and occasional, light contact and leaning is to be expected.

Maybe a contact point system and virtual accelerometer could be programmed to measure areas of contact and force applied. Heavy force in a given area and direction (God bless Newton and GCSE Science) would trigger the penalties as opposed to a crude and arbitrary system.

Back