SSC Regains Fastest Production Car Title With 316mph Tuatara

Except the sound of the video lines up almost perfectly with the telemetry (acceleration rates, shift points, deceleration when the run is over) so it doesn’t even seem to be the wrong video for the telemetry.
It’s literally just as if SSC put a line of code that says (output_speed = rec_speed * 1.3) and used the higher speed.

Not exactly. The car isn't even moving and the speed indicates it's accelerating past 19mph, he doesn't get beyond a walking pace before the indicated speed is 30mph. It seems like an overlay of a different run - or it's completely fabricated. Who the hell knows what these production companies do.

According to this impressive analysis the speed is off by a factor of 1.48 (I would probably round it to 1.5 since I doubt it’s possible to be very accurate with the video data available) and he also observed that the software is not industry standard and appears to be custom made for SSC.

Interestingly, 1.48 is pretty close to the inverse of 0.6818... which is the conversion factor for ft/s to mph, so perhaps the poor programmer accidentally divided by a constant instead of multiplying, or vice versa.

Last edited:
At around 5:10 in that video, he calculated the distance between the medians to be 1.84 km and that the SSC traveled 2.73 km. In my post originally, I had estimated 2.6 km traveled with a true distance estimate of 1.81 km. Not too bad only using the video and no fancy spreadsheet :lol:

Overall, that video has a lot of compelling evidence. It's quite unfortunate that someone in the chain made a minor mistake

Although what's more concerning are the lies that Guinness and Dewetron validated the run...

Last edited:
Considering you have to pay to be in the Guinness records[...]]

Say wha? Usain Bolt has to give GWR some money or they won't publish his 100m record?
For records related to production and business, you do need to submit an application and there's a fee (and a lot of paperwork) associated with that.

Sporting records likely don't need this since each sport's governing body is the de facto adjudicator for the records in question.

At my previous job we held a few records and there was a lot of admin work involved in getting them.

For records related to production and business, you do need to submit an application and there's a fee (and a lot of paperwork) associated with that.

Sporting records likely don't need this since each sport's governing body is the de facto adjudicator for the records in question.

At my previous job we held a few records and there was a lot of admin work involved in getting them.
Okay, so you're not required, as that post said, to pay to be in GWR? Is it simply the case that some records, in some spheres, need an extra administrative effort from GWR to verify, and that requires payment?

It'd strike me that, if that's the case, the telemetry and the FIA's say-so would eliminate any fee that GWR might need.

Last edited:
Okay, so you're not required, as that post said, to pay to be in GWR? Is it simply the case that some records, in some spheres, need an extra administrative effort from GWR to verify, and that requires payment?

It'd strike me that, if that's the case, the telemetry and the FIA's say-so would eliminate any fee that GWR might need.
I don't know the overall specifics, only on the records for the brand I worked on :)

The Yu-Gi-Oh! ones required auditing and payment and everything else.

Back