Stance|Works - What Does it Take to Kill a Car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eric.
  • 41 comments
  • 3,388 views
How to kill a car in about 5 seconds
0902dp_02_z+m1_abrams_tank+cannon_blast.jpg
 
Didn't read the article, did you....
 
Love this car so much. Haters gonna hate though.
 
Depends on the car. Volvo vs Chrysler.
 
Good to see it's being resurrected.
 
Good to see it's being resurrected.

I agree. 👍

I had butterflies in my stomach while I was reading through the article.
 
I think this car stopped being cool and became a pos gold wheels and roof chop ago.

I used to like it, even with the rusted body and everything, but now...


tumblrljigw7jzto1qj0t15.jpg


Is pretty much how I see it.
 
Last edited:
He needs to start over with a new body. Cut and replace all he wants, that steel's been baked and heat treated in the worst way. It's gonna be hard and soft in all the wrong places, believe me. If he wasn't asking for structural failure before, he's gonna get it now, unless he replaces...well...quite a lot of it. "Rusty" won't even be mostly there. It'll be a different car entirely...if done properly.

That body's done. Get a new one and move on.
 
If he wasn't asking for structural failure before, he's gonna get it now,
It's literally fallen apart a few times now. It just gets half-assed back together.

Like I said, it was once pretty cool, but it became a pos a few stages ago.
 
he could probably rebuild the thing over the fried steel and it would be pretty equivalent to the stage it was when it burned, as the guy never really cared much for how the body fared after he cut and cut and cut some more. Heck, the burned metal could give it a whole new texture and start a new stupid aesthetics trend... like when guys started to rust their hoods, now they'd set them on fire.
 
It's like trying to preserve a carcass.
 
he could probably rebuild the thing over the fried steel and it would be pretty equivalent to the stage it was when it burned, as the guy never really cared much for how the body fared after he cut and cut and cut some more. Heck, the burned metal could give it a whole new texture and start a new stupid aesthetics trend... like when guys started to rust their hoods, now they'd set them on fire.

Won't catch on, look at Ferrari, they've been trying to start the "burned car" trend for years.:lol:

I admire this guys determination, but you have to know when to call it quits and start from scratch with something else.
 
I'm not going to quote anyone specifically, but I'll just throw this out there. If you didn't read the article, he is bringing Rusty back because he "loves this car more than some people". Number two, this car in no way was ever a rushed, thrown together POS. Tons of work was put into every part of this car and many people fail to realize that because they're too busy complaining about how they don't like his taste/actions. Number three, in a way, he has moved on. No more than a week after the fire he went and purchased what appears to be another and quite nice E28. His plans are to make this one nice and shiny, no rust, no beating, and no chopping. He wants to make it a great, clean example of an E28. They will be two separate cars, Rusty and his other E28, so there is no need to get your panties in a bunch and assume that car is going to get the same treatment.

That is all.
 
Would be cool to throw Rusty's body over a tube frame at some point.
 
They always talk about how with this car you either hate it or love it. For me, it's neither, it's interesting to read stories about it but don't feel any emotions towards it really. Maybe I was not involved enough during its build but I really don't care much for it in either way. That said, it's interesting even though that is definitely not the way I woudl go with the car. If I had that much money to spend on wheels, suspension and any other expenses to make it look that way, I would put all that money towards restoring it, but that's just me, and the broad spectrum of tastes in the automotive community is one of its most interesting factors, even if you don't agree with what is being done.
 
I'm squarely in the hate it crowd, guess that makes me a hater haha. But he obviously loves it so thats the main thing.

I am a tad concerned about, as Jim said, the metal fatigue. It'll be stuffed. Start again i say.

On a side note, the fact that car still ran on the road in its state is ridiculous, and really shows what you can get away with in America, funny that they will crush perfectly good Skylines because they haven't been tested for safety or emissions (although lets face it, surely being sold in the rest of the world kind of shows that it is fine) yet that patched up, written off, rust infected, slammed down car, as famous as it is, still polluted the streets (as do many other highly modified hot rods, rat rods etc, the main difference is they are normally done with high quality parts) without a problem.

And here I was worried about running quality made spacers.

Just an observation!
 
Depends on the car. Volvo vs Chrysler.
Four-cylinder Fox body Mustangs are the most durable cars ever devised. Consistent podium finishers at demo derbies around the country, and I personally witnessed one destroy a 90s Volvo 900 in one devastating hit to the rear, while taking nearly no damage itself. Fox bodies finished 1-2-3 that night.

I think this car stopped being cool and became a pos gold wheels and roof chop ago.
Son, it has a chopped roof and gold wheels. It's a hot rod mad out of a BMW. If you don't think hot rods are the coolest thing on the street then you have no idea what cool is.
 
Inspirational.
I agree and it reminds me of the story of our 67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback build. That car truly should have been sent to the junkyard but we have never giving up on it. Even had a spread in Popular Hot Rodding magazine after we got the car running and drivable. Any car no matter the condition, can be saved, if someone has the heart and motivation. 👍

With that said, I carry Hagerty insurance with an agreed amount up front. So no matter what happens I get the entire AGREED amount back for both our muscle cars. Which is currently over $20,000 :sly:
 
rusty is back, and no he doesn't need to get a new body and blah blah, just replace the parts that will make the car move, hopefully the Ronal Turbo are still alive, it's going to look sexy when it's done.
 
👍
I never really liked 'Rusty' at all... Call it a Hot Rod or whatever, to me it looks like something pulled straight from a scrapyard. Yuk.
Have you seen the motor on it???? And it's all about style.
 
Have you seen the motor on it???? And it's all about style.

For all I care, you could put a Ferrari V12 in it I still wouldn't like it. Besides, what good is an awesome engine in a car that's constantly bottoming out because it's unfunctionally low?

Meh, I just don't like it when a cars drivability and performance is sacrificed for looks - especially if it looks like that... thing afterwards.

Oh, and, from what I've seen in the linked article, it currently has no engine whatsoever in the engine bay :lol:
 
Spending so much time and effort to make a car look old and crappy seems like buying expensive pre-ripped and faded clothes. Also, he spends the entire article talking about the car as if it's a person and says "haters".

Three strikes.
 
For all I care, you could put a Ferrari V12 in it I still wouldn't like it. Besides, what good is an awesome engine in a car that's constantly bottoming out because it's unfunctionally low?

Meh, I just don't like it when a cars drivability and performance is sacrificed for looks - especially if it looks like that... thing afterwards.

Oh, and, from what I've seen in the linked article, it currently has no engine whatsoever in the engine bay :lol:

2JZ Turbo, and my friend is called a good set of coilovers or air bags. Have you ever been in a low with good coilovers like H&R or B&G, Bilstein feels the same as a normal, I personally saw this car, and it moves and rides amazing. But I just guess it's not your style.
 
2JZ Turbo, and my friend is called a good set of coilovers or air bags. Have you ever been in a low with good coilovers like H&R or B&G, Bilstein feels the same as a normal, I personally saw this car, and it moves and rides amazing. But I just guess it's not your style.

Ugh, I cringe at the thought of wasting a perfectly good engine. Either way, no, there'll be nobody driving a car that low around here - because a car with that little clearence isn't even street legal here due to safety regulations. Which i agree with, by the way, so i wouldn't want to be taken for a ride in a thing that low.

I have driven cars that were lwoered for looks, though, and they generally handled worse than cars that were using a proper suspension setup.

And, either way, yeah, a car with a brilliant aftermarket suspension will handle relatively okay compared to the stock one, that's true. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that it would offer a better ride quality and performance when set to a proper ride height and camber...

Anyways, I usually don't bother commenting on those hellaflush cars, because, well, one guy's trash is the next guy's treasure, but Rusty is just so wrong in my opinion that I felt it was the right time to comment on something I seriously dislike :lol:
 
From the video it really looks like it moves and rides amazingly. :rolleyes:http://vimeo.com/15383081

Can't say I loved or hated this car. On one hand it did have quite a lot of work and custom fabrication done to it. On the other hand they made sure it was rusty right down to the dashboard and rubbed the body in used diesel oil. Kinda seemed like he was trying too hard. It was definitely something different though.
 
Number two, this car in no way was ever a rushed, thrown together POS.
You must have not seen the roof chop job when it was at H2o.

And yes, it was a pos. Maybe not a "rushed, thrown together" pos, but one nonetheless. It was a pos that had been in a bad accident even before he got it, thats why the A-pillar was smashed and the windsheild cracked.

The reason making door handles out of twisted wires and holding the front end together with vice grips was ok, is because it was a car that was already beat to 🤬 even before he got it hands on it. That was a big point in making the car how it was, because it was never a nice car in his possession, so all the "haters" that said he ruined a good car were wrong, because the car was essentially killed before he got it, and he just kept it alive in his own way.

Not to mention the first time it "officially" died, when the frame came apart from the shoddy repair job after it was in it's first big accident.

I just think it stopped being a cool pos a few stages ago, and is now simply crap.
 
Back