Standard cars ARE in GT6. (100% confirmed)

• Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 1,429 comments
What on earth are you talking about? And where does it say the exteriors are the same as premiums?

Sorry, my wording was way off... But the point seems to accurate. On the news page, under dealerships;
Car Dealerships
All available cars are displayed under their respective manufacturers. There are no longer distinctions made between Premium and Standard cars as in the previous version of GT, but Standard equivalent cars will only have simplified cockpit views.
Screenshot

So they still imply standard cars... Unless I'm reading this totally wrong... But I'm assuming interiors are the only difference now.

And the fact that any car can go in photo travel now...

Sorry, my wording was way off... But the point seems to accurate. On the news page, under dealerships;
Car Dealerships
All available cars are displayed under their respective manufacturers. There are no longer distinctions made between Premium and Standard cars as in the previous version of GT, but Standard equivalent cars will only have simplified cockpit views.
Screenshot

So they still imply standard cars... Unless I'm reading this totally wrong... But I'm assuming interiors are the only difference now.

And the fact that any car can go in photo travel now...

It's the only functional difference, doesn't really say anything about texture/model quality parity.

If all cars can be taken to Photo Travel Mode in GT6 I guess that means all cars will be rendered with polygon count high enough (adaptive tessellation?) to produce decent pictures. Remember in GT5 you couldn't take standard cars to Photo Travel, neither take close-up pics on track because car geometry was poor. Maybe in GT6 there'll be no difference regarding outside view, while in cockpit view some cars will have detailed interiors, others will have that black cardboard thing. Maybe.

If all cars can be taken to Photo Travel Mode in GT6 I guess that means all cars will be rendered with polygon count high enough (adaptive tessellation?) to produce decent pictures. Remember in GT5 you couldn't take standard cars to Photo Travel, neither take close-up pics on track because car geometry was poor. Maybe in GT6 there'll be no difference regarding outside view, while in cockpit view some cars will have detailed interiors, others will have that black cardboard thing. Maybe.

I think there will still be a significant visual difference between standard and premium vehicles. It would take more than 3 years to bring 700+ standard cars up to the same fidelity of the premium models. I hope I am wrong!

There are far fewer new premium cars than I was expecting. It seems they must have diverted that modeling power somewhere else. If they have managed to tart up all the exteriors, I'll be very pleased. Obviously, those who like cockpits will be disappointed.

Still, we don't know for sure yet, and I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have a theory. I don't know how CAD or 3D modeling works but I think it's too hard (or a total waste of time) to model a car from scratch, by drawing it. I think it just doesn't make sense to spend so much time modeling the outside of a vehicle in low-res. If you laser scan something, why not take the time to do it in best resolution available and keep that info for future reference?

I believe PD either uses laser scanning or negotiates CAD data directly from manufacturers. Therefore all that huge amount of information from all cars (including so-called standards) may rest inside PD's computers already. Maybe this data was just not fully used because of they way GT5 was designed and the PS3 well known limitations. Hardware and software just couldn't handle all that data in real time. Remember PD had to mix premiums and standards to be able to fill a 16 car grid - something impossible to do with 16 premiums.

Maybe standard cars are simply full polygon shaped cars that were "downgraded" to smaller files to leave processing power for premiums. Who knows if data is already there, waiting to be used? Maybe adaptive tessellation came as a solution to that, as hardware issues continue the same (old PS3).

I think that Standards will be like the old GTHD cars (If anyone else can remember that).

They were almost premium quality, but the windows were dark and had no cockpit view.

Remember PD had to mix premiums and standards to be able to fill a 16 car grid - something impossible to do with 16 premiums.

You could have a 16 premium grid. If nothing else people would do it online, so GT5 had to be capable of it.

Oh man, PD takes blurry pictures of them like they're bigfoot
2 frames later:
bigfoot standards.jpg

Last edited:
Why would a standard car be able to go in photomode were you can make very good close-ups from the cars and were all the details of GT6 are optimized? If the standard cars would still be the same quality as in GT5 this would not be possible or am I wrong here?
It's possible standards may still come with the "move further away" warning you got with GT5. Anything is possible at this point.

I really hope they won't limit the zoom on standard cars, because that was really annoying I found. We all know they look like crap in GT5, what was the point in trying to hide it? (at least like a year after games release)

I really hope they won't limit the zoom on standard cars, because that was really annoying I found. We all know they look like crap in GT5, what was the point in trying to hide it? (at least like a year after games release)
If they are good enough quality to get within cm's as you could with premiums in GT5 I would be very surprised. We know they look like crap in GT5 but I'm sure Kaz was thinking he didn't want cyberspace flooded with people mocking the crappy standards at his beautiful photomode locations.

There are far fewer new premium cars than I was expecting. It seems they must have diverted that modeling power somewhere else.
Yep diverted to the so called DLC plague which flood today's gaming industry. There will be at least another 50 premiums for an extra cost, my educated guess.

I think that Standards will be like the old GTHD cars (If anyone else can remember that).

They were almost premium quality, but the windows were dark and had no cockpit view.

Those cars were 100% premium quality minus the interior. On a related note, I don't understand why that premium (exterior at least) Subaru Impreza Rally Car seen in GTHD videos never made it to GT5.

Back