Standard of driving

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Sorry to start a moaning session...

But is it me or has the standard of driving dropped from other racers, it just seems others want to get that next place by any means possible. I love a good race fighing for places but at what cost?

I have just lost driver rating again this week due to others, either spinning in front of me and I hit them I have not other choice to avoid them or others who just like to push you off the track. Last night I was hit so hard from behind my car left the race track by jumping about 20 feet in the air where I gained a penalty as I hit another car mid flight and went way off the track, I have never had this before, in fact I saved the replay as it was impressive to see....

I'm getting to a point now where I am losing interest in the game as I seem to spend more time trying my hardest to avoid people crashing into me than having a good race!

I'm sure other have had the same sort of issues and sorry to rant about the same issues as other have.

I constantly bounce from A/S to A/C mostly due to other driver's actions. Try to forget about the ratings and just drive as fast and clean as you can. People are going to run into you, damage your rating, and you'll do it occasionally too. Learn from any mistakes you make and just keep going. Don't deny yourself a future of possible great races because of a few crappy ones.

Sark

EDIT: I have to keep telling myself this as well because it does get frustrating at times.

Too many people worry about what happens to their DR/SR. As @Sarkazmo says, just drive as cleanly as you can and don't worry about it. It'll sort itself out at the end.

My DR peak was probably a bit higher than I was comfortable with, and the trough was an enjoyable day at Monza in the Group 4s. As you can see, it didn't exactly take long to get the DR back up to where I think I should be.

upload_2018-5-17_11-21-24.png

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that you're level of complaint is extremely critical of relatively clean driving. We've come to expect a standard of driving unlike most games we've played, so it's jarring when typical online racing tactics come back into play.

I recommend playing in a random lobby or hell, even GTA Online, to remind yourself of how most video game players actually race. When you come back to GT Sport you'll realize that most incidences are actually confusions about brake points, line rights, and blocking rules. These three headaches that ruin Sport mode are actually rather nuanced concepts that most people are oblivious too. Even people that aren't oblivious can debate for hours, their interpretations of just those three elements.

Keep in mind, that you're level of complaint is extremely critical of relatively clean driving. We've come to expect a standard of driving unlike most games we've played, so it's jarring when typical online racing tactics come back into play.

I recommend playing in a random lobby or hell, even GTA Online, to remind yourself of how most video game players actually race. When you come back to GT Sport you'll realize that most incidences are actually confusions about brake points, line rights, and blocking rules. These three headaches that ruin Sport mode are actually rather nuanced concepts that most people are oblivious too. Even people that aren't oblivious can debate for hours, their interpretations of just those three elements.
If PD was serious about this esports and FIA-thing - I expected a completely different "game" than GTA as how it was marketed/advertised -, they'd do better with the matchmaking and penalty system. Your example is right, but it's not a comparison. I really don't care about GTA and others. I'm not interested, that's not my kind, and GTS should be never mentioned on the same page, at least that's what I thought.

There should be more emphasis on teaching the rules, the positions and tactics on track, attacking and defending within the rules and within sportsmanship. (And ban immediatelly those, who rams into the wall the one in front of them intentionally, without braking. First from that race, second time for a week, then for months. Because it doesn't have to be learned, it's not rocket science, just elementary behaviour.)

If this ramming-bumping game can be played (and yes, it is, at the moment), then this title teaches something wrong for the kids. And for those adults who always wants to be better and "smarter" tricking out the vulnerabilities of the given rules and parameters, in expense of ruining others _sport_. This type of behaviours should be pursued far from any racetrack and far from any sport, and this should be the first curriculum of the sport mode.

Last edited:
I constantly bounce from A/S to A/C mostly due to other driver's actions. Try to forget about the ratings and just drive as fast and clean as you can. People are going to run into you, damage your rating, and you'll do it occasionally too. Learn from any mistakes you make and just keep going. Don't deny yourself a future of possible great races because of a few crappy ones.

Sark

EDIT: I have to keep telling myself this as well because it does get frustrating at times.
I don't ever really think it's the other drivers fault if I lose SR in contact. I'm actually a C/S driver. If I lost SR, I probably could have prevented whatever happened somehow and gotten away without a scratch. I try to use opportunities like that to improve. I just need to learn MT and TCS 1 and 0 soon. Then I can improve and really bring out the best in SR while driving faster.

Exactly. More video’s and tutorials. And better ranked rating. The SR S SR A and SR B are too close to each other. Getting them more separated would maybe clear the fields in a better way.

Exactly. More video’s and tutorials. And better ranked rating. The SR S SR A and SR B are too close to each other. Getting them more separated would maybe clear the fields in a better way.

Seeing how the racing field changes when my SR drops just a little bit, I’d say making the SR letters more distant to one another is not gonna change anything. The matchmaking is made based on the value, not the letter. The letter is just an easy way to read it for players.

After doing 9 races on DT Gardens today in GR.2, I agree. 4 out of 5 passes I've seen happening were dirty or just badly judged and out of control. This was in mixed A/S B/S rooms, none of the races were clean, 80% had penalties at the end, 50% red ratings. I did manage to get a clean streak of 6, however in 1 race I had to concede 7 places, from 3rd to 10th in the first lap to avoid all the dive bombs and cars that had no chance of holding their line. After that it got even worse and I couldn't avoid it all anymore, hit 4 times in one race, all 4 got a red S, I still ended up with blue yet bumped all the way to the back. Result of yesterday: another 2K DR down while dodging cars all evening.

That doesn't mean it wasn't fun to race. It's just not the awesome close clean battles for position I long for. Those only happen occasionally, most of the time it's dodging wrecks or ill attempted passes. And yes, SR/DR tanking does put those close clean battles further out of reach. Although sometimes after an SR drop you get to start in the top 3 with another fallen comrade and suddenly have that awesome race you were looking for.

One thing has become crystal clear. The standard of driving at the front of the field is totally different from the back of the field. At the front people have lots to lose and do not want to descend to the back. At the back, people have lots to gain and quickly want to get out of the back where the wrecks and penalty servers end up, that also want to get back to the front asap. Unfortunately your DR will eventually settle in a place where you likely end up starting in the back. High DR can be a curse, unless you're an alien.

I think some of the problem is the races just are not long enough. This makes people take chances that are not ideal because you only have a short window to move up positions.
If they would make race C an 1.0 to 1.5 hour endurance race this would allow most to settle into a race grove and work out different pit strategies.

If you have ever done a long lobby endurance race you know what am talking about. It's a completely different atmosphere when the race is longer.

I think some of the problem is the races just are not long enough. This makes people take chances that are not ideal because you only have a short window to move up positions.
If they would make race C an 1.0 to 1.5 hour endurance race this would allow most to settle into a race grove and work out different pit strategies.

If you have ever done a long lobby endurance race you know what am talking about. It's a completely different atmosphere when the race is longer.
Quoted, because a like just doesn't cut it.
Additionally, if we had those length races, it would sort out the jack-o-lanterns from those that want to race... jack-o-lanterns want "the win"... they want it now, and they want it again right away, and without waiting a precious couple minutes between races.
And... with a proper length race we would not need the ridiculous fuel/tire consumption, and, maybe we could enter 2 choices of tire compounds...
You know... real racing

3 hour Nurb 24h event, yeah then I'll enter a FIA race again. Needs more cars on the track though. If you quit early your ps4 shuts off until the race is over.

Take a look at my chart. It’s like a freaking roller coaster! Lots of good advice being given out. If I had to add to it, I would say just practice the track/car combo until you can get your best time then jump into the race. Try not to worry about the DR/SR roller coaster ride and focus on having fun and improving your skill.
52FFB6DE-4FAE-40DA-BC42-1327F9858C68.jpeg

If PD was serious about this esports and FIA-thing - I expected a completely different "game" than GTA as how it was marketed/advertised -, they'd do better with the matchmaking and penalty system. Your example is right, but it's not a comparison. I really don't care about GTA and others. I'm not interested, that's not my kind, and GTS should be never mentioned on the same page, at least that's what I thought.

I agree with the majority of what you wrote but I still feel that a comparison to GTA Online is necessary. Tons of gamers race and play in GTA Online and despite that vastly different design intention between both games, many of those people come over to GT Sport and think that they're racing clean and fair.

One of the problems is that everyone else but me drives like ****, classic problem when it comes to cars. So i have taken it upon myself to check replays after a race to see just how ****** they actually drive. And to absolutely no surprise i am often wrong when i think they drive like ****, very often there are other explanations and reasons for their behavior.

6or9.jpg

many of those people come over to GT Sport and think that they're racing clean and fair.
Got your point and I accept it. What I meant to say, there is a problem in GTS' side if they think so. It should be more clearly declared that it is a different thing. Being clean and fair "compared to..." is a perfect starting point against the AI in the offline races. I expected sport mode (and FIA) races needed a lot more than what I think about myself and my style, my behaviour. And I do require feedback as I'm not a professional. Learning using a track in traffic just now. And learning that my style of cautious (yet including failures) approach is not "successful", not rewarded, if the winner was going thru the first part of the field with just bumping anyone in front on brake distances, than weaving-blocking all the way where he could be clearly passed. Being able to win - and even complete a race without black-flagged out - this way is... let's say strange. And has wrong message - I think.

One of the problems is that everyone else but me drives like ****, classic problem when it comes to cars. So i have taken it upon myself to check replays after a race to see just how ****** they actually drive. And to absolutely no surprise i am often wrong when i think they drive like ****, very often there are other explanations and reasons for their behavior.
Like what?

View attachment 736969

Like total lack of judgement? There is no other explanation for trying to pass in the chicane on the top of the hill in Bathurst as at many other places. Yet it is the fault of the single player where sticking a nose next to the AI is usually effective and encouraged by the game. Got to overtake them all.

What do you guys think of someone driving in the middle of the road on narrow straights to prevent overtakes? It's effective as the trailing car has to drive half in the grass and slows down. I had such a blocker in one of my races yesterday after he bump passed me in lap 1 while I was behind traffic. Penalty system won't do anything about driving like a donkey.

Quoted, because a like just doesn't cut it.
Additionally, if we had those length races, it would sort out the jack-o-lanterns from those that want to race... jack-o-lanterns want "the win"... they want it now, and they want it again right away, and without waiting a precious couple minutes between races.
And... with a proper length race we would not need the ridiculous fuel/tire consumption, and, maybe we could enter 2 choices of tire compounds...
You know... real racing

I like the jack-o-lanterns analogy. Very creative.
Your exactly right though once you can weed those people out the races automatically become better.

It's never been about winning easily for me. No matter how well I do in qualifying I almost always put myself in the rear of the field. I like the challenge plus I've learned a lot by following others for many of laps. Some of the best racing I've been involved in has been nowhere near the lead it's been 5th to 8th place all battling it out.

To me winning is only rewarding when it's earned.

What do you guys think of someone driving in the middle of the road on narrow straights to prevent overtakes?
Not gonna lie, I do that. It's not really illegal, and I don't see how that's dirty. "Let me through I got a bombastic exit why do I have to stay behind you?". I mean, there's the grass, if you're brave enough and you think the risk is worth it. If you pass me using the grass I greatly respect you as a great player. I consider those kinds of overtakes as awesome as outside overtakes

... What do you guys think of someone driving in the middle of the road on narrow straights to prevent overtakes? It's effective as the trailing car has to drive half in the grass and slows down. I had such a blocker in one of my races yesterday after he bump passed me in lap 1 ...

Not gonna lie, I do that. ...

I do that too. However, I don't bump pass ;) ... The car ahead is entitled to use whatever part of the track, isn't it ?

Not gonna lie, I do that. It's not really illegal, and I don't see how that's dirty. "Let me through I got a bombastic exit why do I have to stay behind you?". I mean, there's the grass, if you're brave enough and you think the risk is worth it. If you pass me using the grass I greatly respect you as a great player. I consider those kinds of overtakes as awesome as outside overtakes

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's only the people swerving back and forth across the track to block you that it becomes an issue.

Yesterday on the Mountain, two Brazilian drivers rated SR A/S definitely did not know what the standard of driving was. One guy on the first straight was burning off a penalty, and then as he was getting back up to speed, was weaving left and right so that no one could pass him until he got up to speed. Then at the end of the race, another one tried to burn off a penalty at the finish line and deliberately moved to in front of me after he un-ghosted so that I would hit him and get a penalty. I mean, come on!

I do that too. However, I don't bump pass ;) ... The car ahead is entitled to use whatever part of the track, isn't it ?

I dunno, I rather leave room for the trailing car to make a safe pass, rather than him getting unsteady with 2 wheels on the grass and bumping into me. Besides that, if he is faster I'll get a nice draft tow, if not, I'll pass him again and we helped each other to gain a bit of pace on the front. Plus if it's one of those impatient drivers, they will go for the bump pass next.

Sometimes you have to though if there's not much time left until the next corner, stop that nose from starting a bump pass. Or on the Nurb with alternating corners when you have no trust in the driver behind you sticking to one side. Yet on the start of a straight, it's rather unsportman like to block. I don't consider passing on the grass as great overtakes, imo passing through the dirt is a dirty pass, a block forcing a dirty pass is therefore a dirty block :)

Where do you draw the line. When does slowly edging left and right become dirty swerving. Just leave room when there's plenty room ahead. Ofcourse if you annoy me by constantly flashing your lights....

Sometimes you meet the polar opposite of the aggressive inpatient driver. Last night I ended up in a battle of "after you" on the downhill section. I made room, he made his pass attempt, the slight right is coming up, he's a foot ahead on the outside so I let go of the gas to slot in behind. He does the same as I still have the inside. I brake a little to compensate wanting to let him go first as he was stuck behind me for over a lap already (even though it was the last lap). He brakes more lol.

Last edited:
For me, a good block is a block that forces a player to either concede or force a dirty move. I see the same by taking the middle lane in a narrow straight, except it's really easy to do compared to other "good" blocks. If someone was able to pass you cleanly after blocking, then that block was faulty :)

I can see how this would irritate other people, and how other people won't do this tactic in fear of being bump passed by an illegal driver. But saying those things is different from saying that those things are illegal. Whether or not passing on the grass is good is contextual for me, and in the given context, I think it's a brave move if done right :)

What do you guys think of someone driving in the middle of the road on narrow straights to prevent overtakes? It's effective as the trailing car has to drive half in the grass and slows down. I had such a blocker in one of my races yesterday after he bump passed me in lap 1 while I was behind traffic. Penalty system won't do anything about driving like a donkey.

The car in front can be anywhere they want on the track. As long as they ain't weaving left to right, or deliberately slowing down or brake checking, then I have no problem with a car in the middle of a narrow track. It's up to the car behind to pass cleanly!

Defending strong but fair can be hard. Usually when I defend a faster car from behind I will pick the side I want to defend from, then when the car gets along side me I will slowly pinch them to the outside. I'll leave them a lane and I won't make contact, but I will make sure they are uncomfortable there.

Here's a great example from the FIA race on wed.

For me, a good block is a block that forces a player to either concede or force a dirty move. I see the same by taking the middle lane in a narrow straight, except it's really easy to do compared to other "good" blocks. If someone was able to pass you cleanly after blocking, then that block was faulty :)

I can see how this would irritate other people, and how other people won't do this tactic in fear of being bump passed by an illegal driver. But saying those things is different from saying that those things are illegal. Whether or not passing on the grass is good is contextual for me, and in the given context, I think it's a brave move if done right :)

I'm not a fan of anyone going off track, corner cutting or excessive curb abuse. I'm not a fan of blocking in general yet I understand it is a valid tactic and not illegal. Perhaps the game needs a GR rating next to SR, gentleman rating :) I'll keep leaving room for people where it's safe to do so. To me someone passing me cleanly is as rewarding as making a clean pass myself. It takes two to facilitate a clean pass and there's nothing more fun than swapping positions multiple times during a race.

Of course it can be thrilling too to hold off the pursuer in the final lap, but I'll do that by concentrating on the best corner exit while trying to keep the door closed at corner entry. I never block on the straight to the finish, the most exciting finish I had was a virtual tie. Can't recreate that feeling by blocking.

I've raced so much now I already know by the gap time at corner exit whether I'm going to let the car behind me pass. Perhaps I'm simply addicted to following cleanly. It's the bigger rush for me rather than blocking. It's also nicer to have your fate in your own hands :)

Back