"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
My guess that the standard cars doesnt have an interior view like the vgt cars is because the standard models are to low res for PD to be shown from such near distance and because they had to remodel the outside of the cars too due to possible incompatibiltys between the black cockpit model and the original standard outside model.

Didnt gtpsp just put you inside the original car models instead of a newly created cockpit model? Due to the small screen size you dont notice all the pixels and jaggies which would look horrible on a tv!
I don't know for sure; I'd say some effort went into setting up those views on PSP, because if it were an intrinisic property of the models, they'd work on PS3, too.

It's obviously something weird between the PSP hardware and the PS3, that made the content (the views and the "black frame" and the model LoD / visibility configured on PSP) not work directly on PS3.

Due to the small screen size you dont notice all the pixels and jaggies which would look horrible on a tv!
They do look horrible, believe me. We remember how GT5 had the ability to import cars from GTPSP to arcade mode and race them right? Well if you look at the GT by Citroen from GTPSP in GT5, it looks pretty bad around the fenders. :crazy: I imagine it looks even worse when you plug your PSP into the TV and play it.

Fixed. :lol:
That is really good looking for a standard! That is by far the best standard I have seen. 👍

Pretty solid looking for a standard , don't like the bicycle tires tho.

@Sonygamer455 @JoaoSilva Indeed the C10 Skyline is also a very good looking semi-premium car.

XhjjT8z.jpg

But also the Nissan Bluebird/Datsun 510, which is in my avatar. :D

ES2cXQ2.jpg

g7YSxDO.jpg

NILx7WF.jpg

The standard interior is quite an improvement in GT6 over GT5 though isn't it?

Don't all VGTs have interiors, but some have them blacked out despite having been modeled? I remember someone pointing out that the credit for the Aston VGT names the people who worked on the car's interior despite it not having one.

I think they're promo photos. They don't look as pretty in game.
View attachment 333256
They still look pretty good, though.

The model itself looks exactly the same , what changed in that pic was the reflection wich made it look even better , but the model is the same . Also that photo isn't from photomode , it's during a race so the level of detail isn't as good as in photomode.

The model itself looks exactly the same , what changed in that pic was the reflection wich made it look even better , but the model is the same . Also that photo isn't from photomode , it's during a race so the level of detail isn't as good as in photomode.
The photomode pic does look a lot closer to the other pic, but it still doesn't look as good as the promo pics you attached earlier. It looks close but you don't need to zoom in to see the jagged edges (there aren't many, but you can still see them) and the lower quality reflections.

I really wish this would be premium. It's more fun than the 240Z in my opinion and just as fast.
Interesting that you spend time taking pictures of "good looking standards" to post online, presumably to show that standards aren't that bad.
Meanwhile, you got sidetracked wishing they didn't look so bad, and made this post, wishing that they weren't standard.

Moral of the story is that even people so caught up defending standards that they hunt down the "good looking ones" to show "proof" on the internet, still don't want them to be standards.

Yahtzee.

Interesting that you spend time taking pictures of "good looking standards" to post online, presumably to show that standards aren't that bad.
Meanwhile, you got sidetracked wishing they didn't look so bad, and made this post, wishing that they weren't standard.

Moral of the story is that even people so caught up defending standards that they hunt down the "good looking ones" to show "proof" on the internet, still don't want them to be standards.

Yahtzee.
Everybody would rather have all cars premium which are standard now. But that doesnt mean that everybody hates the fact that standard cars are in the game because some might think its better to have a bad looking car without interior view than to have it not at all!

And he didnt say those standards are good looking, just that the rs200 is excellent looking - which it is, because it got the semi-premium treatment!

Everybody would rather have all cars premium which are standard now. But that doesnt mean that everybody hates the fact that standard cars are in the game because some might think its better to have a bad looking car without interior view than to have it not at all!

And he didnt say those standards are good looking, just that the rs200 is excellent looking - which it is, because it got the semi-premium treatment!
I didn't say he doesn't want them in the game. There are people here that would accept a Mario kart.
That doesn't mean it's smart for PD to oblige. ;)

The fact that you're celebrating cars getting "the semi-premium treatment" is hilarity for me in itself.
Obviously PD doesn't like having standards in GT6 either. ;)

I didn't say he doesn't want them in the game. There are people here that would accept a Mario kart.
That doesn't mean it's smart for PD to oblige. ;)

The fact that you're celebrating cars getting "the semi-premium treatment" is hilarity for me in itself.
For sure PD would rather have the standards made in premium quality, but no company could remake those 800 standard cars in premium quality plus all the premium cars (and all the other stuff like tracks, features and so on) in the time between gt4 and gt5-gt6.
So wether you keep those 800 cars (and upgrade about 100 of them) or you let them out of the game - i prefer the first option because the most important part of a driving game is the driving itself - and every standard car drives as good as every premium.
The graphics of the details of the cars (the standards doesnt look bad from normal distances) arent that important for me to better loose all those great cars just because some guys cry about inconsistency, last gen models or whatever.

For GT7, whatever they do with the standard cars (i guess they will upgrade all to semi premium without cockpit), i hope the keep all of them!

I've heard it all before, and I understand your position. Like I said, there are people who would literally LOVE, LOVE to have a Mario Kart, complete with 4 or 8-bit graphics in GT7. I absolutely guarantee it.

The questions for all of us is where we draw the line, and say "this is crap content for year 2013".(or whatever year applies)

It also helps to remember that we're mostly die-hards and fanatics on the internet sites for GT. The rest of the world is asking why that car looks so crappy, and why part of Gran Turismo(mispronounced) looks great, but most of the cars look worse than NFS.

Better than getting no premium treatment.
Giving a 4-bit an 8-bit upgrade is better than no upgrade, but that doesn't make it good, bad, acceptable, or unacceptable.
480i Graphics "upscaled" on PS4 will Get GT7 more low review ratings and more pissed off consumers. And laughed out of the sim/taken seriously games to a certain extent IMO.
There would/will be a minority that is thrilled though.

Yahtzee.

Hate to break it to you but you're really not being all that perceptive at all :lol:

Wanting standard cars to be premium, upgrading standard cars =/= not wanting standard cars to be in the game.

If I recall correctly the Sileighty looked decent in GT5. Mine was bright orange. I never got the point of that car though. It was the slower car with the less good looking front end. A Silvia with a 180 front would make more sense to me. Although I see the point in real life. The Silvia front was cheaper to buy to repair damaged 180SXs.

If I recall correctly the Sileighty looked decent in GT5. Mine was bright orange. I never got the point of that car though. It was the slower car with the less good looking front end. A Silvia with a 180 front would make more sense to me. Although I see the point in real life. The Silvia front was cheaper to buy to repair damaged 180SXs.
Actually, i think it was lighter.
Not sure about cheaper, but considering its a block instead of a wedge...

Back