"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
Seems like painting a car can fix some of the graphical issues. I've noticed cars go from meh to pretty amazing with a fresh coat of paint.

EDIT: Also, the Peugeot 206 CC is a pretty standard car. Definitely got a graphical update.

Seems like painting a car can fix some of the graphical issues. I've noticed cars go from meh to pretty amazing with a fresh coat of paint.

EDIT: Also, the Peugeot 206 CC is a pretty standard car. Definitely got a graphical update.

checked and 206 CC doesn't seem semi-premium.

We need to do a comparative picture

I bet the Suzuki Alto Works will remain a classic troll car from PD through all following Gran Turismo games.

Other examples of "the bad":
- Dodge SRT RAM (Worst car apart from the Auto Union & Suzuki AW I've seen so far)
- Volkswagen Beetle 1100 Standart (Type-11)
- Volkswagen W12 Nardò
- Alpine A310 1600VE
- Catterham Fireblade interior
- Chrysler Prowler exterior

I'm glad many cars have gotten the "semi-premium" treatment, but they don't look as stunning as some of the pictures posted here state. The RUF's for example look "okay" ingame (not in Photo mode, or replay) for a PS3 launch title, and that's it.

Most of the untouched or only slightly improved standard cars still look like somebody covered them in vaseline.

Last edited:
I don't reckon the average car in something like Forza Horizon is substantially different to a semi-standard. But it looks OK because they're all like that, and my brain just sort of rolls with it. But playing GT every now and then one of the bad standards rolls into view and my brain goes "what on earth is that LUMP?" Distracting.

It's hard to tell without actually playing said games, but I think I'd prefer either a game of 500 premiums, or a game of 2000 (random number I plucked out of mid-air, but roll with me) semi-premiums. The whole 1200 but it's a mix from HQ premium to brought-to-you-direct-from-GT3 thing really messes with me.
I was headed in this direction for GT7, but as I posted, the physics in GT6 have completely changed my mind. Cars that others cringe over like the Nomad Diablo GT1 car, I've fallen in love with all over again. It isn't an unruly beast with all aids off, you can actually push the thing a bit around turns, and you don't fear death. It's balanced, poised, and everything you'd want in a mid-engined race car. And I've always liked the sound.

The physics on the PS4 have got to improve even more. I know that it makes the most sense to whack out all the Standards in GT7, whether semi- or not, and then let the modeling team improve them over time and offer the whole fleet of Gran Turismo rides as DLC packs. As you'll read below, I really do care what level of car model we get, and no one would say no to a whole fleet of new Premiums. But really, I can't think of anything now I'd be willing to let go of, after finding the dinky compacts to be so fun to drive now!

Kaz will have the final say, but... well, whatever get get, we get.

by tha way ; is PD ll make it Premium:confused:
We're hoping that PD will do the Premium upgrade to it, as well as many iconic street and race cars. We'll see next year. *crosses fingers*

I'm actually surprised that the prowler didn't get the exterior revamp, you would think that would be the case considering the interior upgrade it gotten around spec 2.0 of GT5. I was expecting a full blown premium car of it by GT6.

Guys, just a little off-topic, I've noticed some low resolution decals on premium racing cars, and on cockpit view (audi quattro rally car) the 'audi team' on top of the windshield looks jagged... :crazy:
It's just me? :odd:

Syrakuzy-_ephparn.jpg

This one haven’t changed since GT4 for sure :( the ugly one, it would be great if PD would have made it Premium for Gt6

I'm so bummed about the Alto not getting an update. I was vacationing in Japan last March and saw one in person for the first time ever and there's just something so ridiculously awesome about.

But at some point you have to stop. You can't go bringing PS1 cars on a PS4 game, there needs to be a level of consistency. If you want to enjoy the content of older games, that's why they still exist. You can't keep holding new games back forever for the sake of some ancient assets, there won't be any progress like that, you have to let go at some point.
While I understand your point I think that most of the standards in GT6 look good enough in game. During a race it's hard to tell the difference without knowing which cars are and aren't standard beforehand.

Ofcourse the jump from PS1 graphics to PS3 is too great to make but the jump between PS2 and PS3 isn't that great and when the PS2 assets have been edited and improved to look better on PS3 then the difference shrinks again. Ofcourse no ammount of work on a GT1 model would bring it close to a GT3 or 4 model let along GT5 or 6 so that's where the line has to be drawn. On the PS4 I can't see them still using the GT4 models but I think the GT5 and 6 models could be in there with some touching up.

Annoyingly, the Nomad Diablo is no different. As a result, the baked shading that PD used in the GT3/GT4 days still exists. It's so overdone, it makes the car look dirty around the bumpers. Even more annoyingly, the car's short description that appears when you mouseover the car in the dealership mentions its "distinctive exhaust tone". I haven't driven it in GT6, but in GT5, it used this bizarre droning noise used by, among others, the 320i Touring Car, the Minolta 88C-V and the TommyKaira ZZ-II. As far as I'm aware, that sound wasn't accurate for any of the above cars. :lol:

Back