"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
Oh god! Shift 2 was TERRIBLE! I hated it. I only played the 1st one because GT5 wasn't out yet
It was indeed terrible: the physics, the arcady graphics but above all the major input lag!
First the graphics look nice but when you look at them closely you will see very unrealistic details. I believe NFS S2 only supported 720P too.

PD needs to cut out Vauxhall altogether. They're rebadged Opels. I don't get it. They were built in the UK by Germans and called Vauxhall in the UK but Opel everywhere else. Why?!

Because General Motors bought Opel and also bought Vauxhall. They then ended up sharing the same development of models and just became different badges.

It's not true that they are only built in the UK, most are built all over Europe. PD probably sees no reason to cut out Vauxhall because it takes no extra effort to have them in (a 5 minute badge change). Do you want only Opel standards kept?

Last edited:
I see no need to have, as just one example, both an Opel Speedster and a Vauxhall VX220.

Who needs both?

Well yeah, you don't really need both. It was really just for PD to bump up the GT4 car list so that it would have the largest number of cars in a video game ever. But there are other examples where they have MX-5's in Japanese and US versions for example... who needs both there?

I would love them to do more Opel's, nice new sporty models out there but PD's are stuck in a 2004 time warp.

Am i the only one that likes standards?
Far from it, quite a few cars I drive are standards and my car collection currently sits at just over 500 cars. :drool:

The standard cars sticking around for another game doesn't bother me much as I like having variety. ;)

Of course the many Miatas and GTRs does initially bug me, but then I start making each one into a project. :scared:

The thing that'll make or break it for me will be how it all comes together for GT7 regarding challenge, single player length etc.

It was indeed terrible: the physics, the arcady graphics but above all the major input lag!
First the graphics look nice but when you look at them closely you will see very unrealistic details. I believe NFS S2 only supported 720P too.
Not to mention that EVERY car had horrific oversteer. When you hit a barrier, all hell breaks loose. The screen shakes with a magnitude of 7 million and it grays out. On top of that, the AI is just plain vicious.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice. I got rid of it quickly after I got it. It's the same thing as the 1st one but a few more events, a few more cars, and over priced dlc.

Not to mention that EVERY car had horrific oversteer. When you hit a barrier, all hell breaks loose. The screen shakes with a magnitude of 7 million and it grays out. On top of that, the AI is just plain vicious.
The greyness made me feel like I was going blind!

For me is better to keep the standards in the game. I like to drive common cars usually seen in the street, than fast supercars. I have a citroen c3 so i like to drive the exact same model in game. Like me there are lot of people wanting the same. Another plus in keeping the standars is that they add diversity in the grids. Is better to race against 15 different cars, than having 3 or 4 models repeatedly to fullfill the grid.
About the duplicates i think a solution could be to include different variations of the same model. For example they could bring the civic Si, Vt, Sir, Sir II, instead of the same model in different years

RUF type standards is totally cool but to have cars with this sort of quality in the game for a 3rd time? It's just silly (I won't boycott the game over it or anything I'm just laughing at the idea of cars that could look like this on the PS4)

car1.jpg

hsv
There are 2 choices PD can make:

Knock half their car list off, which is horribly illogical and pointless. They're not harming the game in any way.

Secondly, they could keep the cars, continue to improve them, and eventually end up all premium.

The argument to get rid of standards completely is ridiculous, when the only other current option is to have a ton of important cars wiped off the list. There's no logical reason for someone to want nothing over something.

How is it nothing...when we do have something, a group of cars that are actually up to this era's standard. What is actually illogical as @Terronium-12 has put it is the thought of this simplistic reworking of meshes and textures that get you some how to a point that it one day is premium level. They are different assets.

Last edited:
"Standard" cars shouldn't even be a thing in GT anymore, get rid of them in GT7 or face becoming an even bigger laughing stock..
Unfortunately for you, it was stated long ago that the standards we're here to stay - it's not surprising information. You may see them updated. But your "becoming a bigger laughing stock" isn't exactly an issue at all. It is for you, maybe. But their existence is not hurting anything. Removing them would do more harm.

So standard cars should be a thing, because GT is all about a library of cars. If you don't like it, don't support it and move on to something that caters more to your interests.

Oh my god some people.. Me, unlike ya´ll fanboys want GT series to move forward, to get back on top and be fun again. I wonder if those people are that tolerable in real life too

No, I am not. Other game studios are moving forward, modeling great cars, that actualy matter and sound great. PD are stuck in 2000 regarding not just cars but all the other well known issues..that is fine by your STANDARDS?

No, I am not. Other game studios are moving forward modeling great cars, that actualy matter and sound great
I'd rather have 800 bad looking but meaningful cars to automotive history than overrated "hypercars" that are not cool at all and are just a tin can with unnecesary power and strange looks
PD are stuck in 2000 regarding not just cars but all the other well known issues
Because failing at some points gets them stuck in a year we and they are not
..that is fine by your STANDARDS?
Standards are playable to me, some of them look horrible, but are a blast to drive (Falken GT-R)...
Better have them than having only 400 cars

I'd rather have 800 bad looking but meaningful cars to automotive history than overrated "hypercars" that are not cool at all and are just a tin can with unnecesary power and strange looks
Just wanna say this; how is a car like the McLaren P1 or Porsche 918 less significant than a 1990 Infiniti G20 or any of the 25+ Mazda MX-5/Miata/Roadster?

Just wanna say this; how is a car like the McLaren P1 or Porsche 918 less significant than a 1990 Infiniti G20 or any of the 25+ Mazda MX-5/Miata/Roadster?
I raise you an Audi R8 '01 and a Honda S500 '63

And answering your question, it is not what the cars mean to most people, but to you, imagine how cool it would be to find that your daily driver is in a videogame

Last edited:
I raise you an Audi R8 '01 and a Honda S500 '63

And answering your question, it is not what the cars mean to most people, but to you, imagine how cool it would be to find that your daily driver is in a videogame
Of course, of course. I don't know of a game on existence that has a 1995 Honda Accord :indiff:.

I really don't like standard cars, I want all in premium :P It's so many cars in standard that I like, but don't by beacuse I can't sit in and see the what's in there, and the lack of flashing headlights, working wippers and reverse lights :(

RUF type standards is totally cool but to have cars with this sort of quality in the game for a 3rd time? It's just silly (I won't boycott the game over it or anything I'm just laughing at the idea of cars that could look like this on the PS4)

View attachment 177435
You see? Just look how ugly that looks, and yet some folks who're happy with standard cars wants that! Really!?

PD needs to cut out Vauxhall altogether. They're rebadged Opels. I don't get it. They were built in the UK by Germans and called Vauxhall in the UK but Opel everywhere else. Why?!
Nope. Not this argument.

Each brand deserves their own place on GT. Each brand is completely unique, and only started sharing core platforms in the 80's. I will always buy a Vauxhall over an Opel in GT, a will most British players, whilst Europeans would probably pick an Opel equivalent.

Also, what Germans work at the Luton plant?

You see? Just look how ugly that looks, and yet some folks who're happy with standard cars wants that! Really!?
No, we do not want that. GT6 standards =/= GT7 standards.

Think about this for a second: What is there to be upset about? Nobody knows what the standards will look like in GT7 apart from PD, and there's a good chance that the models will be cleaned up to look presentable to the eyes. Why get upset over standards being in GT7 when we haven't even SEEN them yet? I'm quite sure that Kaz is WELL aware that the current standards need touching up, especially since this will be released on a next-gen console. It's one of the most talked about subjects of GT besides sounds and DLC content.
Just give it some time before we see them, and hey, I'll eat my words if they still look like crap for GT7. :lol:

Last edited:
Back