"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
That's without the all of those

GT6 has 452 premium cars excluding the Anniversary cars, Chromelines, Stealths and Base Models? Are you sure?

Off the top of my head, there's ~800 standards. There were 1206 (or thereabouts, that's the number that springs to mind) cars in GT6 at release, and we've got somewhere less than twenty new ones since then. I don't see how there can be 452 premiums without the 25 Anniversary cars, the 20-odd Base Models and however many Chromelines and Stealths.

Have you got a source list that you're working from or something? Not saying your wrong, but at first glance something doesn't quite seem to add up there. Still, it might be true. It'd be nice if it was.

Chromelines make up 5 machines of the list, 6 also make up the Stealth Models, 20 Base model machines, Anniversary are 25 or so machines.

56 Machines in total. 396 or so remain.

Last edited:
It took 3 years for around 150 cars, so 400 in around 2 years is unrealistic.

I don't think modelling the cars is a problem. I models cars and can make them look premium. The thing PD struggles with is recording the cars data on time. Other racing games have it easy as the mechanics aren't recorded. PD tries their best to perfect the car into complete simulation.

Chromelines make up 5 machines of the list, 6 also make up the Stealth Models, 20 Base model machines, Anniversary are 25 or so machines.

56 Machines in total. 396 or so remain.

After that count then comes discerning which are 'duplicates'. Yes, there are 'premium duplicates' too.

The exact amount depends on what's considered to be a duplicate. Personally I don't count all the different NASCARs as separate cars, as there's no differences in driving so it's essentially a copypasting job ('duplicates'), especially with the very lazy job of 2011.

After that count then comes discerning which are 'duplicates'. Yes, there are 'premium duplicates' too.

The exact amount depends on what's considered to be a duplicate. Personally I don't count all the different NASCARs as separate cars, as there's no differences in driving so it's essentially a copypasting job ('duplicates'), especially with the very lazy job of 2011.

If only they could duplicate a few programmers and then we could have duplicates of the duplicates.
It would be an extra help if comments about duplicates are weighed up by time less spent on making a unique car because of the lack of manpower.
PD want the standard cars in the game, it sounds like they will slowly up date them all, even up until we see GT8, and probably we will have no more standards.

In the next GT, I would like the amount of premium vehicles to either equal or exceed the number of standards

In the next GT, I would like the amount of premium vehicles to either equal or exceed the number of standards
Yeah, considering the time it takes for PD to model them and how many premium models are made a year; that probably won't happen. Unless PD decided to outsource for modeling.

In my theory, they probably have more experience at making premium cars so they can make it faster than their claim on GT5 prelaunch.

I'm with @hsv
Now why the standards should be maintained:

1.They are a sunk cost.
They don't cost anything to produce. They are already there so they don't damage the development of premium cars.

2.They increase the options to choose from.
Yes, they indeed increase the car count.

You don't understand what a sunk cost is if you're trying to use it in favour of your argument, since it absolutely doesn't help you:

Sunk cost:
A sunk cost is a cost that an entity has incurred, and which it can no longer recover by any means. Sunk costs should not be considered when making the decision to continue investing in an ongoing project, since you cannot recover the cost.

And that's exactly why they should be dropped. The point is that the investment has already been made and we can't take it away, but we can't let that factor into our decision to keep them or not. So we drop them purely on quality grounds and forget that they are available because that's irrelevant. And furthermore, PD have already invested time and money (employees) in restoring standard cars to more acceptable levels, and since they were only able to do this to less than 200 cars, surely it would continue in GT7 and would be a further waste of resources.

Is there a list of updated "standards?"

As we know PD says they upgraded them all to "semi-premium" quality, but in reality from this thread it seems they upgraded less than half and those upgraded clearly have exteriors more "standard" than "premium".

Also the major offenders are still here, "sub-standards", like the Alto Works.

So many quotation marks...because PD made all these weird distinctions.

Last edited:
and a question / where is the lancer evolution 7 rally car ???

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p2/g/r/grt4p2005.jpg

I completely forgot that car ever existed. Normally I'd say it had something to do with Tommi Makinen's name but then they kept the VI Rally Car and just whited it out.

Honestly the first premiums I'd want to see are Tommi's Lancer VI, Richard Burns' Impreza '99 and one of the Martini-liveried Lancia Deltas (preferably an earlier 16v version instead of the Evo 2 that's in every other game).

Where's Xzibit when you need him? :D
image.jpg

I'm late as hell. lol

Is there a list of updated "standards?"

As we know PD says they upgraded them all to "semi-premium" quality, but in reality from this thread it seems they upgraded less than half and those upgraded clearly have exteriors more "standard" than "premium".

Also the major offenders are still here, "sub-standards", like the Alto Works.

So many quotation marks...because PD made all these weird distinctions.

As far as I can remember PD weren't the one making all the distinctions, terms like "semi-premium" and "sub-standards" were coined by the community I believe. What I think Kaz did say was that they'd improve the worse looking cars (which they did in some cases and not in others). I could be wrong though. And in any case them sticking with the standards in the first place was certainly the root cause of all the variation....... :P

Latest Posts

Back