"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
This photo really highlights one of the worst issues with importing last-gen models into a state of the art game like GT6. When real-time lighting clashes with shadows that are "baked-in" to a model in the form of textures, well...you see the result.
is it premium car??? :lol:

..and yet certain people even want these in a PS4 game, and the people that don't are the bad guys. Baffling.
Haha. Don't ya know? GT has to have that quantity, more than any game could ever have, even taking the ones from 10 years ago. Even this below!

gtos10.png

And after that, GT will be the king of quantity! This is what those who want standard cars want. :sly:

I'll admit, I certainly supported the decision to import Standard cars to GT5. I figured it would be nice to have all the old cars to play with in a decent physics engine. When I found out they were doing the same for GT6, it was surprising but not necessarily bad. The added improvements to the physics and lighting meant it might be nice to have all my favorites to drive still.

But if they keep them for GT7, they're making a mistake. We have what we want with standards, now they need to start fresh and make sure everything from here on out is high quality. I enjoy the standards in GT6, and that's exactly why I don't need them in GT7.

All those updated standards made me think of something. Some of you surely remember the premium '99 Impreza rally car that was last seen in GTHD? Here's a pic:

When this was discussed a while ago in the GT5 section some people said it probably wasn't in GT5 because it had no interior (although this can't be confirmed). But now in GT6 we have updated standards like the Superbird or the Ibiza with high-poly exteriors but no interior.

Considering that the standard, GT4 era model of this car is in the game there are probably no licensing issues, so I can't think of any other reason why they didn't replace the standard Impreza with this one (even if it doesn't have an interior).

Last edited:
All those updated standards made me think of something. Some of you surely remember the premium '99 Impreza rally car that was last seen in GTHD? Here's a pic:

When this was discussed a while ago in the GT5 section some people said it probably wasn't in GT5 because it had no interior (although this can't be confirmed). But now in GT6 we have updated standards like the Superbird or the Ibiza with high-poly exteriors but no interior.

Considering that the standard, GT4 era model of this car is in the game there are probably no licensing issues, so I can't think of any other reason why they didn't replace the standard Impreza with this one (even if it doesn't have an interior).

GUYS , maybe they just lost the file :D ,along with the other 800 standards they converted to premiums.Then last minute they said , damn we said 1000 cars will be in the game , so 1 had the idea to transfer the cars directly from GT4.

PD always make a backup of your HDD

(also please dont take this post seriously)

Yeah I read about this in neogaf a couple years ago, someone also said that in an old PD office tour video a premium model of the Bugatti Veyron showed up even before GT5 had been released, but for some reason it wasn't included in the game either :confused: thankfully we did get the premium model in GT6

Yeah I read about this in neogaf a couple years ago, someone also said that in an old PD office tour video a premium model of the Bugatti Veyron showed up even before GT5 had been released, but for some reason it wasn't included in the game either :confused: thankfully we did get the premium model in GT6

It makes sense. When they started modeling that car even though it was going to be in GTPSP they HAVE to have known it was also going to be used in a PS3 game. There was no logical reason they would have only modeled it to standard quality at the time, complete waste of time. Who knows why we didn't get it in GT5 though.

It makes sense. When they started modeling that car even though it was going to be in GTPSP they HAVE to have known it was also going to be used in a PS3 game. There was no logical reason they would have only modeled it to standard quality at the time, complete waste of time. Who knows why we didn't get it in GT5 though.
The XFR is even stranger, unless it was meant to be in GTPSP and pulled at the last minute, but it still seems odd that they modelled it as a Standard Car.

This morning, I posted in a thread based around how fantasy race cars are similar to real-world race cars. I mentioned that a few of the touring cars - namely the R32, 33 and 34 Skylines - were almost identical to certain models (i.e. R32 TC = JGTC version), right down to minor details like decal positions and tow hooks. In fact, with a few edits, some potential interior changes and the right livery, voila! A perfectly modeled, historic race car.

Assuming they didn't actually scan and model the real thing, and modeled it by eye instead (remember, they aren't exactly the same, meaning there is some artistic licence in there), it makes you wonder why they don't transfer this idea to other cars and premium-ise them either. The Calsonic R32 could easily be done in a short time. So could the Evo IV rally car. And the Gathers Drider Civic.

Judging by the near-premium quality of some of the more odd-ball cars (like the Nissan EXA Canopy and the Mitsubishi Minica) and the fact they updated all of the duplicate Miatas to the same level bar an interior, its clear that PD either don't want to lose the cars from GT4 and update them, or are just using them as a test-bed for standards in GT7, where they'll all possibly be in PS3 quality as opposed to PS2. This way, they can keep the cars, but not have such a huge gap in model quality.

Or maybe I've just misread the entire situation.

I have opened a thread about this question in Kazunory Yamauchi Q&A section, please support it
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eza-rally-car-from-gthd-is-not-in-gt6.311064/

Maybe a PD employee accidentally hit the delete button. :lol:

Dont forget the 2009 Nascar as seen on first GT5 Trailer.

..and yet certain people even want these in a PS4 game, and the people that don't are the bad guys. Baffling.
YES I DO! I WANT that Nomad Diablo Lamborghini. I WANT that Ford GT LM Spec II. I WANT that Mk IV Supra. I WANT those Standard TVRs. I LIKE my Standard garage. Know why?

Because to race these cars is a HELL of a lot better than NOT being able to race these cars, and having to race something I might not want to. Okay?

Maybe you're one of those guys who likes going to restaurants and being told the item you want to order is no longer available. I don't. I kind of consider that a rotten deal. To be continued in that other thread...

Who said you'll lose those cars? Whose to say they won't re-do the most popular cars in time for GT7? It isn't that unthinkable.

Secondly, nobody is taking them away from you entirely, you'll still be able to drive them in earlier games if you so choose. In the games where they belong. Meanwhile on the PS4 you could be driving some new (3D model wise) vehicles and enjoy those. If you had 500 great models would you really lose enjoyment because a handful are missing?

Considering those cars' physics simulation is absurdly dated and very much different than the real cars they are based on, is there really a point in having them anyway in a game they really do not belong into?

Secondly, nobody is taking them away from you entirely, you'll still be able to drive them in earlier games if you so choose. In the games where they belong. Meanwhile on the PS4 you could be driving some new (3D model wise) vehicles and enjoy those. If you had 500 great models would you really lose enjoyment because a handful are missing?
Oh yeah. And it should make sense if you consider that not everyone loves the totality of automotive history, to the point that they get a wiggle out of taking that first steam powered Mercedes around the Nurb. Or trying to.

I'm not a big fan of classic cars, say from 1970 on down, or muscle cars, though I do like that Mustang and Corvette. But the rest, I just don't have the love for. Mario Andretti's first love is nice for historic inclusion, okay for me to toot around in - once. But I don't feel any desire to race it. Muscle cars to me are bouncy, floundering behemoths, kind of like racing a bed. Did some races in GT4, had my fling, done with them. And you must know that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So to me, about a third or so of GT5's and 6's car list is, as you put it, turds. So... :D this means the Premium car list we have now is hardly ideal to me. It is better than Forza 5's list, which is rather thick with these cars and had me groaning at their car choices, especially with DLC you MUST PAY for. Maybe they'll let you buy cars singly, but I bet that gets expensive, if not more so than buying the whole DLC set. And then there's the matter of that whacked down track list, which has me groaning in memory of the days of tracks raced to death in Forza 2.

And "handful missing"?? Hardly. If my hoped for racing league representation comes to GT7/Prologue, and we get that Race Mod and Livery Editor, a TON of cars appropriate to a number of leagues just won't be there. Everything from Honda Civics and Ford Focus good for BTCC to TVR T350C and a slew of Aston Martins and Jaguars, suitable for FIA GT2 racing and more. Yes, a few HUNDRED cars would be sorely missed.

Now, no one knows what PD is up to. Maybe they're slaving away at their workstations, Premium-izing a whole fleet of Standard cars like they did the tracks, and making Premiums of the choice rides. Maybe Kaz has discreetly hired a few dozen modelers, because they need tracks too. It could happen, because SONY has a certain amount of cash they can invest in lucrative studio prospects, like Polyphony. Or maybe they're taking your route and discarding entire car lots of Standards - gee, and how about those tracks, would you like an axe taken to the track list too? ;) But we won't know anything, likely till GT7/Prologue is close to release, because of the unfortunate cold war with that Dark Empire.

Hopefully this clears things up, because losing fifty percent or more of a car list is hardly a win-win proposition.

. Or maybe they're taking your route and discarding entire car lots of Standards - gee, and how about those tracks, would you like an axe taken to the track list too?

You're obviously not reading if you believe that is 'my route'. If I were Kaz, right now, I'd have deleted all of the standard models from the PS4 project and made sure, some way or another, the ~250 most important/most used vehicles based on GT5/6 statistics are re-modeled for the modern era. I hope that is what he is doing.

As for tracks yes a lot of those need updating as well but they're easier to 'touch up' to modern quality than standard cars are because they're not single piece models. You can easily cut parts out, add better textures to certain parts, not something you can do with the single mesh standard cars.

I dont remember what version MX5 version it is, but its terrible. Its hard to believe this is a game from 2013.

For GT5 they modeled 2 first-gen (NA, popup headlights) MX-5's as premium. For GT6 they re-used that model for all (I think) first-gen versions to make semi-premiums. That is the second gen (NB) with oval headlights which has never been modeled as premium.

@Samus

Well poop. Sorry about that, I'm misremembering your position on the Standards. And listen, I'm very much with everyone who wants Premium only content in GT7. I'm hoping that PD is busy as beavers before a flood, remaking the significant, unique Standard cars into Premiums. Or even sub-Premiums, but I have a feeling this will cause some groaning. Of course, then there are the legacy tracks I want from the previous games, which quite a few of us would love to see, and that has to be a hefty job...

This is why so many want to see PD beef up the modeling team with more talented hands, or outsource, but Kaz is pretty well set against that, and it is more secure keeping everything in a dedicated group. Hopefully SONY will go ahead and fund this, because Polyphony is perhaps their most lucrative studio, and doubling the modeling team wouldn't be a bad idea.

YES I DO! I WANT that Nomad Diablo Lamborghini. I WANT that Ford GT LM Spec II. I WANT that Mk IV Supra. I WANT those Standard TVRs. I LIKE my Standard garage. Know why?

Because to race these cars is a HELL of a lot better than NOT being able to race these cars, and having to race something I might not want to. Okay?

Maybe you're one of those guys who likes going to restaurants and being told the item you want to order is no longer available. I don't. I kind of consider that a rotten deal. To be continued in that other thread...

Oh god please no, not the restaurant analogy again. We spent like 10 pages on steak and fries in this or some other thread, I don't even remember because things went off the rails so quickly.

Back