Star Trek: The continuing voyages of the Next GenerationTV 

• Thread starter Famine
  • 12 comments
So no one seems to care about this! I think it’s awesome news.

Is this going to be in Discovery? I haven’t watched it yet but might have to give it a go now.

This is amazing news, Stewart really needed to play Picard again, it is literally hard to separate the man from the character.

Discovery was a pile of *, I really hope whatever this is it isn't part of that. Continue the story after Nemesis in the prime timeline! So much to cover between the Enterprise E and the USS Relativity.

Is this going to be in Discovery?
Not likely. Discovery is sort of pre- and concurrent with Prime Kirk. This should be Prime timeline and after Nemesis. Well after Nemesis. And although the other character most fans would want to see return is Data (as/in B4), that's almost out of the question - Brent Spiner has aged, but Data shouldn't have, and even Spiner thought playing Data in Nemesis was getting a bit too implausible. Unless they digitally de-age him, which would be interesting (all the modern MCU characters in Captain Marvel will be de-aged, including Clark Gregg and Samuel L Jackson).
I haven’t watched it yet but might have to give it a go now.
Discovery is absolute crap.

Discovery is absolute crap.

That’s what I thought, thanks for confirming.

Yeah I thought Data looked to old in Nemesis as well. Although they could come up with some kind of story arc where Data purposely ages himself as part of his quest to become more human.

Return of Picard - Excellent
Return of something you loved and hoping it doesn't ruin or alter what you previously loved and had made peace with, even in the bad bits - Trepidation

I can't think what they can do to have an active Picard. He'd surely be kicked upstairs to Admiral after Nemesis and the end of his captaincy. Admirals are glorified desk jockeys and general annoyances so I'm quietly pondering what might be to come. More Q?

TNG is on Netflix in the UK now and I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I love it. Only watched it on and off when it was on TV back in the day and it's surprising how well it holds up. Curious about the movies after the TV show aired... but pretty excited for a new show with Jean Luc

TNG is on Netflix in the UK now and I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I love it. Only watched it on and off when it was on TV back in the day and it's surprising how well it holds up. Curious about the movies after the TV show aired... but pretty excited for a new show with Jean Luc

If you're talking about films with the TNG crew, just watch First Contact. Skip the rest.

I thought there was a couple of TNG movies?

First Contact is the only one worth watching. It's just great.

Generations
is okay, but not great. Shoehorn in some TOS cameos plus Captain Kirk but it's not must-see.
Insurrection has a ludicrous plot poorly executed.
Nemesis... well, what's beyond ludicrous? You never really imagine yourself saying "Tom Hardy killed Star Trek".

I kinda love the scenes in Kirk's cabin and also inside the Nexus from Generations, those really are the stand out bits of that film.

Gets me every time.

Insurrection has a ludicrous plot poorly executed.
Whoah, BTFU there. Insurrection is terrific, and strikes at core Trek themes throughout its entire life. Star Fleet as an analogy for the USA, the Ba'ku as an analogy for native Americans (kinda), an underlying conspiracy perpetrated by a senior official, and a bit of a plot twist that sees the conspiracy turn in on itself. It's explores the morality of decisions taken by bureaucracy to benefit the majority over a minority (would Spock argue for the needs of the many, or would he recognise that his sacrifice was his decision?), and morality has always been a significant part of Trek.

There's a few oddities. It's a bit strange that Dougherty claims Star Fleet can't replicate the Son'a technology when Picard requests his people take a look at it - Geordi and Data can replicate pretty much anything in a normal 45 minute episode - but perhaps that's just a lie. It's also strange that the initial sequence came from Data detecting the neutrino emissions in the lake, but he didn't detect what Beverly spotted in two seconds with a medical tricorder despite contact with both species in the duck blind. The Briar Patch is something of a McGuffin too, as is the "metaphasic radiation", but the effects it has on the crew are intelligently explored (even if the Son'a in the duck blind should have also experienced it; Geordi's retinas grew back for zarking out loud).

But invisible Data is wonderful, "smooth as an android's bottom" is one of the funniest sequences in Trek ever, HMS Pinafore is really, really good ("I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members.") and high noon with the isolinear chip drones is also awesome ("Definitely feeling aggressive tendencies sir!"). Also F. Murray Abraham and Anthony Zerbe*.

It's a Trek episode extended to feature length, and contains some of the most beautiful cinematography in Trek history.

First Contact is just better, that's all. And best, in fact.

*His sister-in-law is the unnamed female Founder from DS9. I know, right?

Last edited:
Back