STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
Liking it so far, I think it portrays very well how the clones became obsolete very quickly, and how the few free thinkers among them suddenly found themselves without a purpose in life (or trying to find a new one).

This week's episode is probably the best after the premiere and if you are a TCW fan you'll be very VERY pleased! :cool:

Call me contrarian, but much like the MCU, I just cannot bring myself to show interest in any Disney+ content, at least insofar that I'd be willing to buy a D+ subscription. As far as my involvement with consuming Star Wars media, I'd really rather stick to the movies and maybe a few videogames. I've been meaning to play Squadrons at some point, for one example, and I really think there's potential in a new podracing game if they ever decide to make one, too.

Call me contrarian, but much like the MCU, I just cannot bring myself to show interest in any Disney+ content, at least insofar that I'd be willing to buy a D+ subscription. As far as my involvement with consuming Star Wars media, I'd really rather stick to the movies and maybe a few videogames. I've been meaning to play Squadrons at some point, for one example, and I really think there's potential in a new podracing game if they ever decide to make one, too.
Yeah, I found Loki to be a fun show, but the Star Wars cartoons just don't interest me either. I like the Mandalorian, but probably because it feels fairly far removed from the rest of Star Wars.

Last edited:
The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Bad Batch are amongst the best Star Wars has to offer.
Agreed.

To go with that, I feel like we're getting A LOT of cameos in this first season of the Bad Batch. And more backstory for some important characters.

Agreed.

To go with that, I feel like we're getting A LOT of cameos in this first season of the Bad Batch. And more backstory for some important characters.
There have been and they make sense too considering the timeframe.

I think Bad Batch is going pretty well, but it's relying a lot on this 'cameo-of-the-week' format. That's not a bad thing because it helps flesh out some previous stories, but I don't think it's doing much to bring along the central characters. Also, the apparent risk with bringing back established characters, is contradictory canon, which I think we saw in the last episode, with Orn Fre Taa being executed by Crosshair, despite appearing later on in Lords of the Sith. I'm not to keen on this as I think it starts to undermine the effort that goes into following everything (Films, TV, books, games and comics).

Anyone hear about the re-naming of Boba Fett's ship? Apparently they're changing it from Slave I to Firespray, and Boba Fett's original actor isn't a fan of this. But on the other hand, the model of Boba Fett's ship was indeed previously referred to as a Firespray-31 Patrol and Attack Craft, initially stolen by Jango Fett on the prison colony Oovo IV. I suppose if there's any entity that's always been very "P.C." it'd be Disney. I can't say I'm gonna lose sleep over this, to be honest - though it may take some getting used to.

Last edited:
with Orn Fre Taa being executed by Crosshair, despite appearing later on in Lords of the Sith.
I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but if it makes you feel better, he survived the shot. Somehow.... 🤔

How he could survive that? I don't know, but they mentioned it in a later episode. Suddenly I feel like theirs something about Twilek's I am not understanding here.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but if it makes you feel better, he survived the shot. Somehow.... 🤔

How he could survive that? I don't know, but they mentioned it in a later episode. Suddenly I feel like theirs something about Twilek's I am not understanding here.

I had caught that, and whilst I'm glad they've engineered in some ambiguity, I'd rather they made more effort to respect canon integrity.

Did anyone else feel somewhat underwhelmed by the last 4 episodes The Clone Wars Season 7? I don't know why, but they just hit very very differently for me and not in a positive way either. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I didn't love it either.

Did anyone else feel somewhat underwhelmed by the last 4 episodes The Clone Wars Season 7? I don't know why, but they just hit very very differently for me and not in a positive way either. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I didn't love it either.

I wouldn't say underwhelmed, but I think the last 3 episodes (from memory) work better when viewed as one feature length episode. Perhaps it didn't hit because ultimately you already knew it wasn't going to have a happy ending, whilst at the same time, you already knew the fates of many of the characters.

Since the Bad Batch has effectively become Clone Wars season 8 (IMHO), the emphasis placed on Season 7 at the time seems less important to me now anyway.

__

I've finally finished the third book in the Alphabet Squadron trilogy. Gotta admit, that series has felt like a trudge overall, but there were some really good sequences. Got two more High Republic novels, and the first two books of E K Johnston's Padme trilogy downloaded (Audibooks).

I wouldn't say underwhelmed, but I think the last 3 episodes (from memory) work better when viewed as one feature length episode.
I agree. I kind of hated how they were divided. Thinking about it now, it probably would have been better if it was made into a movie instead of being divided into episodes.
Perhaps it didn't hit because ultimately you already knew it wasn't going to have a happy ending,
It's not that.
whilst at the same time, you already knew the fates of many of the characters.
Yea that's part of it. Rebels kind of spoiled it for me with Rex and Ahsoka because given they were in that show, obviously set later in time, I knew they'd make it out of there. Had Rebels not been a thing yet, I feel it would have been much more interesting and it would have had me guessing until the very end. (Disclaimer: I don't hate Rebels)

I kind of felt it focused too much on Rex and Ahsoka and didn't have enough of the other characters. I know that's what Filoni wanted and I know why he did it, but I still wish we had gotten a little bit more from the other characters, especially seeing how good Grievous looked, only to not be seen again afterward.

Don't get me wrong though, I still liked the last 4 episodes, especially the ending, but theirs just something about it that just didn't feel like The Clone Wars I knew and liked and I can't put my finger on it. I actually find myself wanting to watch The Bad Batch arc more than that one.

Last edited:
I've heard and read some fairly divided opinions on Visions.

I liked it... some episodes better than others, but some really great moments, and some really great stylistic executions.

'Tatooine Rhapsody' is easy not to like, but I don't think it was that bad. Coming after 'The Duel', which was stylistically excellent, it was a decidedly different pill to swallow. I didn't much like 'The Twins' (episode 3) either, but it picked up after that.

I don't really know anything about Anime, so I'm guessing what we got is a broad selection of styles that people who are familiar with the genre would already recognise, and of course within that, have stuff they like, and stuff they don't, but the stories themselves didn't actually feel that out of place when compared to the comics for instance... though Visions is at least not canon, so you can somewhat ignore the stupid stuff in a way you can't with stuff like Screaming Citadel, or Darth Vader on a Horse :D

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this whenever it drops. I get nostalgic hearing Temuera Morrison's voice again. I hate we ain't going to get a new season of The Mandalorian anytime soon, but I feel this will be just as good! 👍

The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 1 has dropped, titled 'Stranger in a strange land'

I liked it, it's really doubling down on playing only in Star Wars' safe space, but that makes it easy to like, which is no bad thing.

New episodes each Wednesday.

Last edited:
I feel a bit burnt out by Star Wars. I feel like the magic is starting to fade. It doesn't feel like it's set "long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away," but instead in an IP that constantly re-treads the same imagery over and over again lately. While I'll be the first to admit the prequels were flawed in several aspects, I feel like they had a soul, where Lucas made a sincere effort to world-build. Just look at the imagery. New enemies, new planets, new heroes, vehicles, etc. whereas the sequels have, uh, more X-Wings and TIE Fighters. Granted, both of these have minute changes you can see, like the TIE Fighter's rear gunner or the T-70's different intake designs, but most people won't notice that. They could've at least used a different TIE design, like the Defender, or even a new one, but I don't even remember seeing any TIE Interceptors or TIE Bombers in the ST. Every last vehicle seems like a minimum-effort upgrade in design, like those AT-AT-like walkers in TLJ.

Hell, I don't even fault Rian for TLJ. I saw Knives Out and he's clearly very talented. I blame the design-by-committee direction that I feel in these new movies. It's very much reminding me of the "To Sell Toys" page on the Transformers Wiki. That's not to say Star Wars as a whole wasn't about selling toys from literally day zero, but it feels much more obvious these days. And where is my new podracing game with online multiplayer?

I even had a few ideas of my own for Star Wars. One of which is about the aforementioned podracing, where there could be a videogame that's set around the ST or even after it, where it's grown from this underground bloodsport into this much more refined, professional thing, complete with a circuit set on Coruscant. There could even be a racer who's from the Galactic Empire, not unlike how some real-world race cars may get sponsored by a branch of the U.S. military. (Not that I think the U.S. military is evil myself, per say, but it would go in-line with Lucas' intent for the Galactic Empire to be a U.S. military allegory.)

A more radical idea that I had was a story set in the far future of the Star Wars universe, where the Rebels and Empire actually co-exist in peace together. Or maybe even one that contextualizes everything else as just being a story in-universe, and the Empire isn't actually all that bad, neither the Jedi nor the force exists, and Palpatine was just a figurehead with far less (literal and political) power than depicted in previous material, like the real-world royalty in the UK and Japan. Towards the end of this story, all Star Wars material is written off as the potentially delusional ramblings of some worn-down protocol droid and his astromech buddy.

You may say that maybe I've simply outgrown Star Wars, and I wish it were that simple. On the contrary, I think there's just too much untapped potential in this IP that I see go to waste far too often. I've gotten to the point where when it comes to Star Wars, I want nuance. I want humanity. I want soul.

EDIT: Another idea I had would be a sequel to "Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter" set during Revenge of the Sith, and ties up some loose ends from Jedi Starfighter. It'd likely kill off Adi, for one thing, but it'd also wrap up what happened to Reti.

Last edited:
I used to be a massive SW fan now I only recognise there being 2.5 real star fans fans. It has now just become milked out and I had hope for the Mandalorian but even that has just become too cutesy by the second series.

Nothing has the magic the originals had and they just fill it with more stuff instead To try and compensate.

The Star Wars movies are so-so. The original trilogy was good, but they haven't really aged well with its cheesy dialogue and mediocre acting. The prequels were fine, although they had some major flaws. The sequel trilogy started off good, then just fell off the rails. The Force Awakens was good, but The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker were terrible with Rise of Skywalker just being an outright mess.

Star Wars TV shows have, thankfully, been much better. The Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance, and the Bad Batch are all great. Visions is even good once you get past the oddity of it. The live-action stuff seems to be getting better and better too. The Mandolorian is good if you take away Grogu which seemed like he was only written into the show so Disney could sell merchandise. Everything else was entertaining though and felt more like Star Wars than the sequel trilogy of movies. The Book of Boba Fett should be pretty good too, the first episode was definitely well done and started answering a bunch of questions right away. Hopefully, they can keep that up and continue to flesh out Boba Fett as a character.

As for what would be cool, something based on the Old Republic would be awesome. They're some of my favorite games and Disney could take a bit more liberty in the creativity department too. Plus it's a story that's not really told outside the games at all.

I feel a bit burnt out by Star Wars.
Never.

I thought the first episode was alright. It had the sole purpose of getting everyone up to speed and it did just that. Have to say that I wasn't one of the people really looking forward to this series, but I'll watch it. I am REALLY looking forward to the Kenobi series, as well as the Andor series. (Also Ahsoka down the line which may give us closure on the whole Ezra / Grand Admiral Thrawn disappearance story)

I used to be a massive SW fan now I only recognise there being 2.5 real star fans fans. It has now just become milked out and I had hope for the Mandalorian but even that has just become too cutesy by the second series.

Nothing has the magic the originals had and they just fill it with more stuff instead To try and compensate.
This is Marvel 100%.

Back