STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
I thought the episode was great, just a couple nitpicky things...

Even though the X-Wing was kind of a give away, I’ve been watching the Rebels cartoon and thought it’d be an older Ezra when the green saber opened.

Even though the X-Wing was kind of a give away, I’ve been watching the Rebels cartoon and thought it’d be an older Ezra when the green saber opened.
I wasn't expecting Ezra just yet. I feel like that will be the direction they go for the Ahsoka series.

Edit: I have a habbit of watching reaction videos on YouTube after each episode. I am 4 reaction videos in, and all 4 have ended in tears. I'd say that they did a good job on this one.

Last edited:
Okay, my actual thoughts...

Great episode overall, again, they're keeping the pace tight and I really appreciate that.

Dark Troopers give serious Terminator vibes, which I liked, but the thing with having not just one, but a platoon of undefeatable enemies, is that it either undercut itself by having the good guys just beat them, or, as happened, deus ex machina.

So all the action plays out nicely, right up until... the moment the X-Wing turns up.

I won't deny that I'm one of the people the didn't need Luke to be in this, and to a point, don't want Luke to be in it for reasons I'll touch on below. But, I can't also deny that it works within the time line.

The CGI... eeeeeeeeehh... first watch was on my computer monitor. I thought the CGI Luke wasn't great, at all frankly. Better than they did with Leia in Rogue One and young Leia in TROS, and - essentially very good - BUT, that uncanny Valley is very, very, very deep, and they're nowhere near out of it yet. This for me, took me out of the emotion of the moment. I did make a noise, tear up, and hold my hands on my face, but it was only a moment... same with R2. This is part of the reason I didn't want Luke, it'll always pull me out of the moment. I don't much like recasts, and the CGI is not there yet... it's a rock and a hard place, it's no win for Disney really, so I can't criticise too much, but I'm not going to loose my s*** over it on multiple rewatches. And on that.... my first rewatch was on my cheap tablet. CGI looked better... perhaps it needs the 'fuzziness' of a bad display do work. Might fire up my old 14" CRT... see how it looks!

I'm already over Grogu. Yep, I like the little frog eater, but after two seasons I think the influence on the story telling was going to get limited, and as people have pointed out - we were hyped for the Mandalorian before we even knew a Yoda species would be in the series, nevermind a cute little baby one. Seems like the next story for Din will be as part of the next chapter in Mandalore's history. and I'm fine with that happening without Grogu.

Book of Boba seems interesting. I hope it's in addition to S3 of The Mandalorian, rather than a replacement, but we'll see. I've heard a few suggestions, the one I'm liking the most is it being a very limited series, or being a straight to Disney+ feature. Having said that, I'll be very happy if it becomes it's own thing, it can carry on the old west feel if 'the Book of Din Djarin' becomes more about Mandalore.

On the whole, series 2 has been great, much more consistent than the first in terms of quality and feel.

If they still do guest directors, I want John Woo and David Lynch!

And there I was, before the season finale, thinking that this season was so awesome that they couldn't possibly top it. :lol: Happy to be proven wrong though. :D

Last edited:
Screenshot_20201221-085352.png

Freakin' sweet. Rodriguez FTW.

Also... inevitable...

If YouTube can do it, Disney at 200Bn -300Bn in value should be all over this. If they want to play with characters in eras where it's not feasible for the actors, Disney needs to get on this.

Freakin' sweet. Rodriguez FTW.

Also... inevitable...

If YouTube can do it, Disney at 200Bn -300Bn in value should be all over this. If they want to play with characters in eras where it's not feasible for the actors, Disney needs to get on this.

It does look a little better. But it still looks stiff. Which was my main issue with it.

I think that comparison shows how well Disney did and how far their technology has come since Rogue One. I do understand why they're focusing on thier own tech rather than someone else's because long term they want theirs to be the cheapest and best option for them.

Last edited:
And it works. I was awed more about what Disney did on that side more than anything story related. Is there stuff out there better than the Disney product? Probably, but like @Dave A said, it was significantly improved over what we saw in a big budget movie only a few years ago.

Last edited:
Chapter 16 was awesome. Season Two was awesome. I am ready for more Mandalorian.

Last edited:
Looking at my post before this one, there was not really a reason for a spoiler tag.

Late to the thread, but...

So, Luke Skywalker is definitely an LL Cool J fan...

Seriously though, having Luke show up the way he did was honestly pretty great, to say the absolute least. The thing that this episode gets really, really right is the overall atmosphere. The moment the X-Wing entered the ship and the tone of the music changed, I instantly got chills. The Darktroopers turning to face Luke and seeing him walk down the hallway before fighting, alongside the low-end tone of the initial orchestra just added all kinds of tension. The fight itself was badass, especially the final hallway scene. I greatly enjoyed that it was pretty much of Vader's hallway fight from Rogue One. The Force Crush on the final Darktrooper almost had me feeling sorry for it.

I also mentally ran through every possible Jedi in my mind that it could've been, primarily because I actually refused to believe it was Luke, since I'd figured it would be too easy. While I was kinda expecting Ezra Bridger, Luke makes the most sense overall, and I was honestly pretty ok with him showing up. The CGI was definitely kinda stiff, though. I personally thought that it was a little worse than "Leia" in Rogue One; since Leia's actor is moving around, and spend less time on the screen overall, the imperfections were less noticeable to me. Also found out later that Mark Hamill did the voice lines for Luke in that scene. Since the live-action actor likely had to lip-sync his lines rather than actually speak them, that might explain the stiffness. Also, Espositos look of fear as Luke saws through his Dark Troopers was phenomenal. Top-notch acting there.

The ending between Din and Grogu was so precious as well. I thought it was sweet that Grogu reached to feel his helmet, but seeing Din remove his helmet entirely was a real tear-jerker. Considering how ingrained the oldschool Mandalorian teachings are within him, I says an immense amount that he was willing to remove his helmet for someone he truly loved, probably for the first real time in his life. I get the feeling that this may potentially be a catalyst for him to slowly abandon the customs of his guardians, since it's been established that their teachings are most definitely not the norm amongst Mandalorians currently.

My only real issues with the episode were with Gideon and the Dark Saber. Firstly, Gideon trying to fight Din made no sense, even in the context of trying to further Screw-over Bo-Katan. He had Grogus blood, he effectively had Bo-Katan cornered, he still had the Dark saber, and he knows that the only thing Din truly cares about is rescuing Grogu. I feel like Gideon probably could've let Din go with Grogu, and he would've still been the "winner" overall. Also, while I understand that the rules of the Darksaber have been established well before The Mandalorian, the fact that it basically has Wakanda-esqe rules is honestly just crap. Bo-Katan is literally Mandalorian Royalty, and Din pretty clearly has no intention or desire to rule Mandalore. Plus, skilled and lethal as she is, I have a very hard time seeing Bo-Katan best Din in a duel straight-up. Also, apparently blasters can....jam...?

Finally, I kinda mentioned it before, but the music in this episode was just insane. The Mandalorian (and Star Wars in general) has always had great composition, but with this episode, the music that played during Luke's walk through the ship (A Friend by Ludwig Göransson) was something really special. Instead of being a distinctly bombastic, heroic soundtrack, we get this quiet, relatively slow piece with light singing in the background. It felt like it was switching between mysterious, soothing and downright terrifying throughout, which is probably conveying what the heros are feeling. Here's this one man army sawing through a bunch of heavily-armoured droids like paper, one of which laid out Din like last weeks dinner not too long ago. They don't know if they should be relieved, or if they should be ready and fearful of potentially fighting (in vain) for their lives. And when he parts back his hood, we get his regular heroic theme from A New Hope. Just, erughhhhhh! So damn good. Music is such a big deal for me, and good music will make me instantly fall in love with almost any production. The piece during the credits was also nice to listen to, and the Darktrooper theme was surprisingly decent. I'd say this is the first time Dubstep has been successfully introduced to Star Wars. :lol:

Amazing episode, and a distinctly solid, conclusive finish that didn't try to kill anyone off, which is always a major plus in my book. This episode really showed the love that the people who made this show have not just for this project, but for Star Wars as a whole. I actually re-watched the episode and sync'd it up with Star Wars Theory's live reaction (particularly with the Luke fight). While I only watch him on occasion, and I don't consider myself even remotely as much of a Star Wars fan as him, to see him literally be brought to tears on this episode was really something special. Even though I don't hate the Sequels as much as most other fans, I felt like this show, and this episode in particular, was the boost Star Wars needed to get people on all "sides" (for lack of a better term) to truly fall in love with it once again.

Christ, I did not mean for this to go for as long as it did. :lol:

Last edited:
While I was kinda expecting Ezra Bridger, Luke makes the most sense overall, and I was honestly pretty ok with him showing up.
Ezra wasn't really on my list, and then when we found out that Ahsoka was getting her own show it was pretty clear to me that her search for Ezra and Thrawn will take place in that series so it couldn't be him. My money was on Cal Kestis or someone that we really wouldn't expect or know.

I don't even know how, but my Dad managed to binge the entire series yesterday, all the way up to the end of season two. He's nowhere near as big of a Star Wars fan as I am but he genuinely seemed to enjoy it. Had to explain a few of the characters from the Clone Wars and a few timeline points to him to clear some things up.

Being honest, I'd be perfectly fine with this being the end of the series. All main plot points, aside from one, are wrapped up and I don't really need any more to feel satisfied.

I'm certainly not going to turn down more Filoni/Favreau Star Wars, though.

I'd be mostly okay with that, so long as Mace dies during or shortly after.

In other Star Wars related stuff... Started the new High Republic (audio)book yesterday. Don't hate it so far. I'm not sure if anyone else here does the audio books, but they're sticking with the same TRON: Legacy-esque musical style they've used in the recent Alphabet squadron books... it's good, I really like it, but it doesn't feel at all like Star Wars.

I guess people are instering "republican" in there because I assume she is one, but you could read it any way round as no political party is actually mentioned. Don't hate people for thier political views, that part of the message is absolutely fine. A tad or more foolish to liken it to the Jews in Nazi Germany though.

Have to say I'm uneasy with this.

Whatever you think about her opinion, she isn't condoning nazism or antisemitism in that post.

So the uproar is only about the fact that her victimization went too far by comparing whatever she feels wronged about to the persecution of Jews by an entire society, not just the nazi party (and she has a point there, the german people as a whole was largely complicit with what the nazis did to the German jews).

Regardless, this is a dangerous trend.

I guess people are instering "republican" in there because I assume she is one, but you could read it any way round as no political party is actually mentioned. Don't hate people for thier political views, that part of the message is absolutely fine. A tad or more foolish to liken it to the Jews in Nazi Germany though.
It’s not the only Conservative trope she’s used however, so yes it’s a pretty safe bet she is.

Have to say I'm uneasy with this.

Whatever you think about her opinion, she isn't condoning nazism or antisemitism in that post.

So the uproar is only about the fact that her victimization went too far by comparing whatever she feels wronged about to the persecution of Jews by an entire society, not just the nazi party (and she has a point there, the german people as a whole was largely complicit with what the nazis did to the German jews).

Regardless, this is a dangerous trend.
Why?

If the government was censoring her then I would agree, but that’s not even close to what’s happening here. Even the social media platform hasn’t (she deleted the posts), and a company is perfectly free to chose not to continue her employment over what is an absurd comparison.

Latest Posts

Back