Starting Out

• Thread starter Buhnanah
  • 63 comments
200-300fps? So I'm not doing to well with 84 at laguna seca & okayama & charlotte test sessions?

I'm kind of scared to enter a race yet, I'm consistent when I'm not spinning :lol:, what are rookie races like?

Like I've said before in the main iRacing thread, rookie races are exactly what you make them out to be.

By that I mean if you drive like a rookie with other rookies, it won't end well.

Drive like a SMART rookie, start from the pits (don't press the GRID button, let it time out and then hit the button when it says "missed start"), hang back behind the pack, study people, don't go for passes unless you are absolutely certain the guy ahead of you will maintain his line (hint: most rookies don't know how to maintain the proper racing line), and don't worry so much about your position, just finish the race with as few incidents as possible.

For your consistency, start VERY slow, use the racing line aid in the options to see where you should be driving, and gradually ramp up your speed. More speed will come naturally as you learn the track better. Be smooth on the gas and brakes, brake early and accelerate out of the corner early, straighten your wheel out as soon as possible to avoid corner exit oversteer.

Just be patient, run enough practice laps so that you know the racing line without having the aid on and just maintain a medium but consistent pace. For example, Lime Rock in the MX5 Cup, you can probably run a steady 1:04 or so (which is about 7 seconds off the really fast guys, and 3-4 seconds off the faster rookies) and still probably finish in the Top 5 in half of your races.

PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE

I probably need to familiarize my self with the menus first, I'm trying to find the button config menu again

So when does it give you the option to start in pits?

It's not a published option.

When you join the race, you will start with a 5 minute warmup session. After the end of the warmup session you will be automatically taken to the main screen again where the top center green button will say "GRID" along with a countdown. Let that countdown run down to zero and then it will change to say "Missed Start" now click on "Missed Start" and it will start you in the pits.

It's obviously not the best way to gain positions, but it is the best way to avoid the imminent crashes between "Lap 1 Heroes." Just stay back behind the pack and enjoy watching the carnage as you pass them and take a decent position.

yea.. I'd love to get an intel cpu but the cheapest quad core is 180$

No way buddy, I got myself an i5 for $130 and I live in Australia where its much more expensive than the states.

I know it seems expensive, but trust me, I am trying to save you money in the long run. Just in todays live broadcast they were talking about graphic upgrades. Do you want to spend on a 2 core and run it for 4 months and then having to fork out for another chip? If you don't have the cash, just wait a while, iracing isn't going away in the next few months.

Back